Tarot Talk Thread

Chrysalis

Nah I don't. Would you mind giving an example?

Say someone asks about someone's feelings for them, and you get...

Emperor~two cups~4 wands

To a lot of people this would be seen as a good 3 cards to get, but its actually not if you use the ED. So here we have fire-water-fire, which makes the two of cups ill dignified by the two flanking fire cards, so as for feelings there isn't any.

moonkat235

Say someone asks about someone's feelings for them, and you get...

Emperor~two cups~4 wands

To a lot of people this would be seen as a good 3 cards to get, but its actually not if you use the ED. So here we have fire-water-fire, which makes the two of cups ill dignified by the two flanking fire cards, so as for feelings there isn't any.

Hm...I've never used that method, but if it works for you then it sounds cool enough! I generally use imagery when tying together all the cards into a cohesive narrative/overview.

Chrysalis

Basic idea is this:

Fire and air are friendly and active
Water and earth are friendly and passive
Fire and water are enemies, they weaken each other
Air and earth are enemies, they weaken each other
Fire and earth strengthen each other but are neutral
Water and air strengthen each other but are neutral

moonkat235

Basic idea is this:

What do you think of fire and water together creating an "alchemical balance of emotion put into action or action stemming from compassionate emotion"? I read that quote in a book last night on tarot.

Witchyone

Basic idea is this:

No, I don't use anything like that in readings.

I see patterns whether those be elemental, color, imagery, or something else.

moonkat235

No, I don't use anything like that in readings.

I see patterns whether those be elemental, color, imagery, or something else.

I agree with seeing the patterns. My best readings happen when the dots connect in my mind and I can see a bigger picture and all the ways the cards tie into one another.

Flapjacks

So, you thought you were helping him?

Hm, in a sense. Why do you ask? I helped him by not exposing him. Exposing him would have blow up into a very, very ugly legal dispute. I lit out as quick as possible instead. :sad: It was a mistake to ever get involved.

My question for that tarot reading was what would happen if I moved into an offered position at a company (where I'd take over for this person).

This was the full spread:

1(question/position)- X of Swords
2(cross/obstacle)- Queen of Swords
3(objective/conscious motive)- V of Swords
4(foundation/unconscious)- IV of Swords
5(recent past)- VIII of Cups
6(near future)- The Hermit
7(questioner)- VII Swords
8(surrounding factors)- King of Cups, reversed
9(hopes/fears)- King of Wands, reversed
10(final outcome)- X of Pentacles

Them swords, tho.

Cool, I can definitely see that. The author of my book noticed it too. Do you have any thoughts on why the woman is looking at the angel and not the man? In my mind, the title of 'the Lovers' has a connotation of monogamous romantic partnership, but the fact that she's not interested in the man, but rather the angel seems like contrary evidence. I've read that the meaning of the Lovers could also be construed as choice. Do you have any thoughts on that?

The Lovers in the RW represents the masculine and feminine, opposites, duality and conscious/subconscious aspects. The mans looking outwardly and the woman looking at the angel, is looking inwardly/spiritually.

Associating this with Gemini which is showing the twins. Because of the dual nature of Gemini, one of their challenges is to learn how to decide. So the card asks you to take your physical and emotional needs into consideration when making a decision.

I've just not worked out why there's the the Tree of Knowledge behind the woman and the Tree of Life behind the man.

This.

The Tree of Knowledge (besides the biblical reference) could also signify receptiveness, while the Tree of Life is another vitality symbol associated with "the Son". Of course, I thought it was on fire. Whoops.

Gemini888

I have some difficulty in interpreting events when the Royal cards turn up. Like, say I'm doing a three-card spread, and the last card is supposed to be what I should do, and that's a King of Sword, and I'm stumped. I associate the Royal card with who I am, not my next step. Any idea?

Witchyone

I have some difficulty in interpreting events when the Royal cards turn up. Like, say I'm doing a three-card spread, and the last card is supposed to be what I should do, and that's a King of Sword, and I'm stumped. I associate the Royal card with who I am, not my next step. Any idea?

It depends on the context of your question, but the easiest answer is that you should embody the characteristics of the King of Swords. These, typically, are clarity, forthrightness, truth-telling, but each deck brings a little different context or flavor with it. Are you reading reversals or are you just learning upright meanings for now?

Gemini888

It depends on the context of your question, but the easiest answer is that you should embody the characteristics of the King of Swords. These, typically, are clarity, forthrightness, truth-telling, but each deck brings a little different context or flavor with it. Are you reading reversals or are you just learning upright meanings for now?
I'm talking about both upright and reversals.

I want to practice, so I ask the desk some crazy questions and toss them out. I'm mostly doing the 3 spread. I'm driving my desk crazy these days :sideways:

Witchyone

I'm talking about both upright and reversals.

I want to practice, so I ask the desk some crazy questions and toss them out. I'm mostly doing the 3 spread. I'm driving my desk crazy these days :sideways:

Well, the meaning of the card is different reversed, so did it come out reversed or upright?

It's a deck, not a desk, unless you got some fancy new-fangled thing I don't know about.

Chrysalis

Gemini i thought you was purposely (for amusement) saying "Desk"...was you not ?

Oh go on, blame it on the predictive text lol.

Chrysalis

Do you read reversals, Chrysalis? I didn't for a long time, but I started using them consistently a few years back.

I don't no, i make sure the cards are always the right way up too. But then again i do use the ED i mentioned before, so this can then make a card be read reversed.

Gemini888

OK, here's another example of my confusion with the Royal Cards. I asked my deck "will I be able to publish my book and what's the outcome?". I did the 7-card spread. The first card was the Queen of Sword, and the second was the King of Cups. Were the cards telling me about myself or about my career?

If you are curious, the rest were: Two of Pentacle, Nine of Wand, Nine of Cup, Eight of Cup and Six of Sword.

Chrysalis

OK, here's another example of my confusion with the Royal Cards. I asked my deck "will I be able to publish my book and what's the outcome?". I did the 7-card spread. The first card was the Queen of Sword, and the second was the King of Cups. Were the cards telling me about myself or about my career?

If you are curious, the rest were: Two of Pentacle, Nine of Wand, Nine of Cup, Eight of Cup and Six of Sword.

But whats the card positions in the 7 card spread ? Whats each card supposed to be representing ?