The sidereal zodiac

miquar

As of today the first point of Aries (0 Aries) is at 5 Pic 04' 31". Remember please, that it is the VP that move against the background of the fixed (Sidereal) Zodiac.
:smile:
Bert Fannin
Western Sidereal Astrologer

Sure, astronomically, but in geocentric astrology everything can be seen as symbolically moving around the Earth - even the constellations - with the VP being seen as a fixed point on the ecliptic and the only motion of the Earth being its rotation on its axis. The rotational axis itself can be seen as being fixed, rather than the axis nutating.

I agree with what you're saying as well though.

bwfannin

The SVP refers to the position of the VP point in terms of the fixed Sidereal Zodiac, which has its marking point at the fixed Star Spica (29 Virgo 05' 06") Fagan Allen determination. The tropical or seasonal Zodiac begins at the Vernal point (VP) as 0 Aries. This point moves against the background of the fixed Stars at the rate of 1 degree every 72+ year. The Tropical Zodiac move, the Sidereal Zodiac does not. Or to be more correct, the determination of the start of the ecliptic moves in the tropical framework.

Bert Fannin
Western Sidereal Astrologer

miquar

I know about the astronomy. I was looking at the celestial sphere in a geocentric and symbolic way. I agree with what you are saying about the actual physical movements in space.

Nacho

Banned
the start of the sidereal zodiac is not entirely clear. the babylonians put it somewhere that is translated between 24°15' and 25°05' for the year 2000.

miquar

Regarding how "12" came to be, see the works of Robert Zoller ("Arabic Parts"), and Carter's "Essays on the Foundations of Astrology" and particularly his brilliant "The Zodiac and the Soul"-largely forgotten books, which should NOT be ignored!!

Just started reading Essays On The Foundations Of Astrology. Brilliant book - thanks for the recommendation. The Zodiac And The Soul is in order too! I avoided geting any more Carter books as I didn't find The Encyclopaedia of Astrology very enthralling. But now I can see it was a mistake to write Carter off.

dr. farr

I myself was not much impressed by Carter's "Encyclopedia"...but some of his other works are really great, the man had some brilliant flashes of insight and a great deal of knowledge and experience...