applying/separating aspects

Fluffy Girl

Hello astrology weekly,

Im here after pretty long time. :alien: I'm inclined to learn horary more and more. I want to know that how do you recognize that if an aspect is applying or separating.

I have read that the faster planet applies/separates from the slower planet. The planets from slowest to fastest are:

Saturn
Jupiter
Mars
Sun
Venus
Mercury
Moon

I got the concept by reading the following text on a website:

The faster planet does the applying and separating, i.e. Venus at 14° Sagittarius would form an applying aspect to Saturn at 16° Pisces. If you Saturn is at an earlier degree of its sign than Venus, the aspect would be a separating one.

http://www.astrologicallyspeaking.com/aspects.htm

When the faster planet is in a smaller degree than the slower planet, then it is applying. If the faster planet is in a later degree than the slower planet, it is separating.

Still it doesn work for me all the time, I would appreciate from all of you to explain the concept to me in other ways so that i will be able to identify the aspects(applying/separating) by looking at the charts.

Thanks

Fluffy

misskitty

Can you explain what you mean by "it doesn't always work?" You mean according to astro.com, or according to the matter coming to fruition? Determining whether a planet is applying or separating is very straightforward, but whether or not the matter will actually occur depends on many other factors.

As for astro.com, I have caught several mistakes in their program where they will get the "A" or "S" wrong in the chart.

Fluffy Girl

Can you explain what you mean by "it doesn't always work?" You mean according to astro.com, or according to the matter coming to fruition? Determining whether a planet is applying or separating is very straightforward, but whether or not the matter will actually occur depends on many other factors.

As for astro.com, I have caught several mistakes in their program where they will get the "A" or "S" wrong in the chart.

Hello miss kitty,

First of all, thanks for replying to the thread. Sometimes i get pretty confused whether planets are applying or separating. I dont know how it is shown in astro.com. Is it shown by their green lines or doted grey lines ? How it is shown in astro, Please help me with that too.

I try to judge the applying and separating aspects with the degrees of faster and slower planets but in some cases other astrologers say that the planet is applying where as i dont see them applying. For example, I would like to attach a chart here. I casted this chart for my job.

job_example.jpg

Here how come moon is applying to sun. The degree of faster planet should be less than the degree of slower planet for applying aspect.

Here moon is a faster planet. It is on 9' 16 and Sun is on 5' 18 which makes them separating as per the rule but another astrologer told me that that they are applying. I'm little confused here

misskitty

No, your Moon is at 18 degrees and the Sun is at 1 degree. You are reading them backwards.

Green lines on astro.com signify trines and sextiles, while red lines are squares and oppositions.

Ok, in your chart the Moon is will eventually apply a trine to the Sun. When the Moon hits 1* Libra, it will be a perfected trine, so it is an applying aspect. The Moon passed the square it made to the Sun when it was in the earlier degrees of Virgo (Virgo and gemini being square to each other). So that is a separating aspect. Since we don't look at separating aspects unless we want to maybe describe the past, then you should consider the upcoming trine.**

**However, that trine that the Moon makes with the Sun is applying, but it is an out-of-sign aspect, meaning that the Moon has to change signs before it can perfect the aspect. This usually represents interference of some kind. It is also out of orb.

astro.com will tell you if an aspect is applying or separating in the graph at the bottom of their page. It will have an "A" or an "S." They are almost always right, but I have caught a few mistakes in the past. The upcoming trine and the past square between Moon and Sun is not shown at all in the graph because it is considered out of orb (10 degrees or less).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SagiCap

I find this tricky too, Fluffy Girl. This helped: http://www.everything.com/AspectsApplying-Versus-Separating-Aspects/#axzz0pTOxKZeO

It's really a question of math I think. If the faster, applying planet is coming into the perfect aspect (mathematically) of the square, conjunctiion, trine, etc,... And because it's all about math, I don't like it. ;) Astro.com sometimes showed a little "s" or an "a" in the table with the aspects - I don't always see it, maybe someone knows how to get it? Also, maybe some type of software can help.

Fluffy Girl

No, your Moon is at 18 degrees and the Sun is at 1 degree. You are reading them backwards.

Green lines on astro.com signify trines and sextiles, while red lines are squares and oppositions.

Ok, in your chart the Moon is will eventually apply a trine to the Sun. When the Moon hits 1* Libra, it will be a perfected trine, so it is an applying aspect. The Moon passed the square it made to the Sun when it was in the earlier degrees of Virgo (Virgo and gemini being square to each other). So that is a separating aspect. Since we don't look at separating aspects unless we want to maybe describe the past, then you should consider the upcoming trine.**

**However, that trine that the Moon makes with the Sun is applying, but it is an out-of-sign aspect, meaning that the Moon has to change signs before it can perfect the aspect. This usually represents interference of some kind. It is also out of orb.

astro.com will tell you if an aspect is applying or separating in the graph at the bottom of their page. It will have an "A" or an "S." They are almost always right, but I have caught a few mistakes in the past. The upcoming trine and the past square between Moon and Sun is not shown at all in the graph because it is considered out of orb (10 degrees or less).

Hope this helps.

Hello miss kitty,

Thanks for correcting me for the degrees, It surely helped. Still, it is difficult for me to judge the aspects because here you are not considering the degrees of sun and moon for applying aspect. Its difficult for me to judge the upcoming trine and the past square. I mean to say that if you wont tell me about it, im unable to judge it myself. When moon will make the trine to sun, it will be on the lesser degree than the Sun ?

The upcoming applyings aspects are also considered in horary?

Fluffy Girl

I find this tricky too, Fluffy Girl. This helped: http://www.everything.com/AspectsApplying-Versus-Separating-Aspects/#axzz0pTOxKZeO

It's really a question of math I think. If the faster, applying planet is coming into the perfect aspect (mathematically) of the square, conjunctiion, trine, etc,... And because it's all about math, I don't like it. ;) Astro.com sometimes showed a little "s" or an "a" in the table with the aspects - I don't always see it, maybe someone knows how to get it? Also, maybe some type of software can help.

hey SagiCap,

I like maths but still its confusing to judge.. :innocent:

The link you have given is not working at my side..??

misskitty

It won't be at a lesser degree when the trine perfects, it will be at the same degree as the sun which is 1 degree. The moon will perfect the trine when it moves to 1 degree Libra. I'm sorry, I do not know any other way to explain it...

yes, the upcoming aspects are the key to answering your question in horary. I recommend starting with the basic books in horary, it will answer all these questions.

Last edited:

Fluffy Girl

It won't be at a lesser degree when the trine perfects, it will be at the same degree as the sun which is 1 degree. The moon will perfect the trine when it moves to 1 degree Libra. I'm sorry, I do not know any other way to explain it...

yes, the upcoming aspects are the key to answering your question in horary. I recommend starting with the basic books in horary, it will answer all these questions.

well, will the Sun be at the same degree when moon will perfect the trine at 1 degree libra ?

Is there any article that you can refer to me for understanding the future aspects. Thanks a lot for taking time to clear my understaking in horary aspects. It really helped.

virgo18

Do all "SEPARATING" aspects mean a "NO" to the question? Or it depends on the kind of question??

As I know, the applying aspects represent the future and the separating aspects represent the past, or something already happening.

If you ask: "will I?" "Will we?" Then it has to make applying aspect to be a YES?

If you ask: "I am?" "We are?" Then the aspect has to be separating to be a YES? Because if it is applying its that the matter will come true in the future?
But if its separating sometimes means a matter that its gone.

How do you know if the matter is happening? Will happen? or already happened and its finished?

erinj

Hello
How about when the significators are applying but the orb is wide for example id did a horary on relatioship and the sun is 15 sag and saturn 26 aquarius.. what experiences can you share with applying wide orb aspects

haidee

Do all "SEPARATING" aspects mean a "NO" to the question? Or it depends on the kind of question??

As I know, the applying aspects represent the future and the separating aspects represent the past, or something already happening.

If you ask: "will I?" "Will we?" Then it has to make applying aspect to be a YES?

If you ask: "I am?" "We are?" Then the aspect has to be separating to be a YES? Because if it is applying its that the matter will come true in the future?
But if its separating sometimes means a matter that its gone.

How do you know if the matter is happening? Will happen? or already happened and its finished?

Old thread... But I want to know the answer on this as well :biggrin:
I asked a "Should I...?" question and both querent and quesited conjunct by 1° orb (Mercury/Jupiter in Virgo) and Moon trines with a 3-4° orb (separating).
Everything "looks good" and I read somewhere (no book) that a separating aspect = 'no'. Is this true or BS? :whistling: The orb is tight nonetheless...

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Old thread... But I want to know the answer on this as well :biggrin:
I asked a "Should I...?" question and both querent and quesited conjunct by 1° orb (Mercury/Jupiter in Virgo) and Moon trines with a 3-4° orb (separating).
Everything "looks good" and I read somewhere (no book) that a separating aspect = 'no'. Is this true or BS? :whistling: The orb is close nonetheless...

This is only a general answer. A specific answer would depend upon question and chart,
To address a future question, like "would it be in my interest to do xxxx?" then the aspects need to be applying.
Separating aspects point to matters that have already occurred like, "was it in my best interest to have done xxxx?"

So a separating aspect is not usually describing a future outcome.