Antiscia

MissScorpio

I am interested to know if anyone uses this? I am in two minds at the moment..But have seen some good examples of its uses in various books.

Zaphod

I am interested to know if anyone uses this? I am in two minds at the moment..But have seen some good examples of its uses in various books.

I'm testing it in an example chart right now. My wife misplaced a valuable necklace. Taking the radical 7th House as my wife, her movable property is represented by the radical 8th (turned 2nd House). The ruler of that House is Mars in late Libra in the radical 7th, and the Moon and Saturn are in Scorpio, in the radical 8th. The ruler of jewelry, Venus, is in Aquarius, in the radical 11th (turned 5th) and it is in partile square to the Moon, co-significator of lost items. Mars in the turned Ascendant (radical 7th) makes me think some action of my wife's started the necklace on its journey. She may have accidentally broken the chain while wearing it; it would be the second time in 35 years, and the last time the necklace went missing for several years.

The antiscion of Venus is in Scorpio, within roughly 3 degrees of the Moon, which is applying to it. The Moon will take 3 units of time to perfect its conjunction to the antiscion. Given that both significators are in fixed signs and succedent houses, I'm taking that as months. Interestingly, the progressed Moon, moving at approximately 1 degree a month, will come to conjunction with the antiscion in approximately the same amount of time it will take the transiting Moon to pass over it three times. Furthermore, transiting Mars and Saturn are both retrograde in the radical chart, and will reach partile conjunction on the Venus antiscion (within a few minutes of arc) after Mars goes direct, at about the same time that the progressed Moon reaches it. I will be watching to see if the 3rd transit of the Moon over this point acts as any kind of trigger to precipitate finding or at least accounting for the necklace. With the tight radical square between the co-significators, though, I'm not optimistic.

The antiscion of Mars is in early Aries in the radical 1st House (turned 7th) but none of the significators are involved with it, nor will they be any time soon. Perhaps it indicates actions on my part to help locate it.

dr. farr

I have used it occasionally (somewhat moreso in medical astrology to find indications of the underlying or "hidden" influences at work in the problem)-however, I do not use it regularly or extensively (I like and frequently use, the Pauline dodekatemorion ramification and rely on it more for discovering "hidden" factors and influences, than I do antiscia)

rafaella

For me it is same as for DR Farr, I have found antiscia to be useful to find hidden influences, mostly negative ones. Usually a significator is conjunct antiscia of either Mars or Saturn which shows some negative influences.

I once had a chart where there seemed to be the right aspects between the significators although peregrine planets, but then I noticed Saturn's malefic hidden conjunction to the significator of the querent. The issue did not resolve quite the way she wanted them to.

If significators conjunct by antiscia, it may not shows a positive yes to a relationship question, but rather something hidden, perhaps an affair, or something else minor.

Zaphod

I like and frequently use, the Pauline dodekatemorion ramification and rely on it more for discovering "hidden" factors and influences, than I do antiscia.

I've been considering how to approach the duodekatemoria. I can't help but think that the 12th part of anything begins to feel a bit like sifting "bug-dust." But perhaps it's like tying a surgeon's knot in fly fishing: it's far easier to do than it is to read about how to do (even with illustrations.} The calculation doesn't seem complex, but the interpretation, piled on top of everything else in a chart, strikes me as hair-splitting. The modern writers on traditional astrology that I've read (admittedly few at present) seem to think that term and face take us to the outer fringes of usefulness in terms of level of detail. But I'm by no means a skeptic and am perfectly willing to be convinced; I just need a good primer (how about Firmicus Maternus?).

Last edited:

dr. farr

I'll mention that I don't use dodeks for horary (just noticed this question was posted in the Horary Technique forum) But for natal delineation and event charts, I have found dodek considerations quite valuable; also, I use the Pauline dodekatemorion (the x13 factor) rather than the typical Hellenist dodeks (which are a x12 factor)-the book which describes the Pauline dodeks is Greenbaum's "Late Classical Astrology".

Using the dodeks is quite easy: the way I use them is to see how the testimony (again I am only referring to natal and event charts) of a planets position in the chart, compares with the testimony regarding that same planet's "ramification" point shown by its Pauline dodek: if the testimonies are about the same, ok-but if the dodek testimony is at variance with, or more illuminative than, the testimony of the planet at its "original" position, then I factor that in as an important component of my net "reading" of the planet in the chart.

Remember too that dodekatemoria (the term) has been applied to 2 seperate things:
-one, the term has been applied to the 1/12th part of signs (ie to 2.5 degree areas of each sign); other words for this meaning are duads, dwads, duodenaries
-the other meaning refers to the "jumping" of a planet (or degree or Lot) by a certain multiplying factor, to find another point in the chart relative to that planet (Lot or degree) All of the Hellenists except Paulus Alexandrianus used a mulitplier of 12 for this purpose (hence "dodec"), Paulus used a multiplier of 13: so THIS second meaning of the term dodekatemorion, does not refer to "a /12th" of anything, rather it applies to a jumping or multiplication process, to locate a "new" position in a chart, for a given planet (Lot or degree)...

Cap

Checking the antiscia is a normal process of delineation for me. I find it very useful, simply IT WORKS. Lately, I've been experimenting with parallel of declination with encouraging results. Also, I find the use of Arabic parts invaluable in horary.