Astrological Calendar. Why not?

It seems odd to me to create an abstract system of time-record based on the solar year, when we have an actual, globally-visible system of time-record. Seriously, think about it. Solar calendar. Solar signs. Abstract measures used instead. Weird, right? Whatever, the Romans had massive egos.

Anyway, what do you think of this: Calendar based on the astrological signs, with a one-day, all-day special observation ("Holiday" is too religious for me, thankyoumuch) based on each sign's overall theme.

My take on this idea:

- New month begins when sun is at 0 degrees of the next sign at 00:01, midnight.
- Year "begins" with Aries and ends with Pisces, with Aquarius presumably used for leap years... Assuming that's even necessary when using the literal degrees of the Sun's path through the signs. Come to that, does the Sun have retrogrades? That could be problematic...
- Spring officially begins with the month of Aries, summer with Cancer, fall with Libra and winter with Capricorn.
- Observances are ordered, from first day of Aries to first day of Pisces: Activity Day, Earth Day, Sibling's Day, Mother's Day, Fun Day, Service Day, Lover's Day, Shadow's Day, Exploration Day, Father's Day, Renovation Day and Charity Day.
- While brainstorming the revision of the calendar system, I put down notes on the week days' names, as well, although I'm on the fence about the names chosen. But the presently-used system of names seems outdated to me, so for the sake of eliciting ideas from y'all, I'll list what I came up with: Zenithday, Pyroday, Aeroday, Nexusday, Aquaday, Geoday and Nadirday.

CapAquaPis

Our modern solar calendar used in most of the world, esp western countries, have 3 "cycles": the official 12-month calendar starts on the 1st date, the tropical zodiac usually starts at the 21st day, and the sidereal version on average the 11th day. I supposedly have a month sign "February" (well, used to determine month flower and gemstone), tropically "Aquarius" (the 15th) and cusp "Capricorn" when the sun enters astronomically on the 14th.

This is similar to the Jewish calendar which has 12 (sometimes 13-the last two Adar I and II, Purim falls in Adar II if it exists instead of Adr I) lunar months, but the "first" month Nisan where Passover falls (on the 14th night) marks the beginning of a cyclical holiday year, while the "7th" month Tishri where Rosh Hashanah falls (and 10 days later, Yom Kippur) is the mark of a new year. Last week (Oct 2/3) was Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish calendar year 5777 arrived.

tsmall

Premium Member
It seems odd to me to create an abstract system of time-record based on the solar year, when we have an actual, globally-visible system of time-record. Seriously, think about it. Solar calendar. Solar signs. Abstract measures used instead. Weird, right? Whatever, the Romans had massive egos.

Anyway, what do you think of this: Calendar based on the astrological signs, with a one-day, all-day special observation ("Holiday" is too religious for me, thankyoumuch) based on each sign's overall theme.

My take on this idea:

- New month begins when sun is at 0 degrees of the next sign at 00:01, midnight.
- Year "begins" with Aries and ends with Pisces, with Aquarius presumably used for leap years... Assuming that's even necessary when using the literal degrees of the Sun's path through the signs. Come to that, does the Sun have retrogrades? That could be problematic...
- Spring officially begins with the month of Aries, summer with Cancer, fall with Libra and winter with Capricorn.
- Observances are ordered, from first day of Aries to first day of Pisces: Activity Day, Earth Day, Sibling's Day, Mother's Day, Fun Day, Service Day, Lover's Day, Shadow's Day, Exploration Day, Father's Day, Renovation Day and Charity Day.
- While brainstorming the revision of the calendar system, I put down notes on the week days' names, as well, although I'm on the fence about the names chosen. But the presently-used system of names seems outdated to me, so for the sake of eliciting ideas from y'all, I'll list what I came up with: Zenithday, Pyroday, Aeroday, Nexusday, Aquaday, Geoday and Nadirday.

Isn't is awesome when you stumble upon a new idea that...oh, wait a minute, already exists? :whistling:

Our modern solar calendar used in most of the world, esp western countries, have 3 "cycles": the official 12-month calendar starts on the 1st date, the tropical zodiac usually starts at the 21st day, and the sidereal version on average the 11th day. I supposedly have a month sign "February" (well, used to determine month flower and gemstone), tropically "Aquarius" (the 15th) and cusp "Capricorn" when the sun enters astronomically on the 14th.

This is similar to the Jewish calendar which has 12 (sometimes 13-the last two Adar I and II, Purim falls in Adar II if it exists instead of Adr I) lunar months, but the "first" month Nisan where Passover falls (on the 14th night) marks the beginning of a cyclical holiday year, while the "7th" month Tishri where Rosh Hashanah falls (and 10 days later, Yom Kippur) is the mark of a new year. Last week (Oct 2/3) was Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish calendar year 5777 arrived.

Very interesting. This is certainly a topic I should take some time to research. It just seems like so much of the time we tend to unnecessarily over-complicate things. Simple can be elegant in design, but you'd never know by some of the systems our government uses. LOL!

tsmall

Premium Member
The zodiacal signs are already a calendar, with Aries marking the beginning of the Egyptian year. The cardinal points are the solstices and equinoxes, and this is the biggest reason western astrologers use the tropical zodiac in the first place. There is nothing new under the sun, though it is heartening, isn't it, when you come to the understanding of the ancients all on your own?