A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

JUPITERASC

inqFrontPage.jpg%3Fd=20200604-00

Inquisag

In this video (https://youtu.be/Bn17_mpgfp4) Ashton Kutcher explains the slogan Black Lives Matter. He said everybody knows that all lives matter, but for some people Black lives don't matter at all. In other words, Black Lives Matter does not mean only Black Lives Matter, it means Black Lives Matter too.

I take issue with the Bryson Gray video because he is speaking to other Black people as if they are responsible for all the negative aspects of protesting that has occurred. He isn't speaking "the truth" as he stated, he is merely giving an uninformed, unenlightened opinion. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being uncivilized and 10 completely civilized, where would you place someone who advocated shooting looters?

WisdomJoy

In this video (https://youtu.be/Bn17_mpgfp4) Ashton Kutcher explains the slogan Black Lives Matter. He said everybody knows that all lives matter, but for some people Black lives don't matter at all. In other words, Black Lives Matter does not mean only Black Lives Matter, it means Black Lives Matter too.

I take issue with the Bryson Gray video because he is speaking to other Black people as if they are responsible for all the negative aspects of protesting that has occurred. He isn't speaking the truth as he stated, he is merely giving an uninformed, unenlightened opinion. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being uncivilized and 10 completely civilized, where would you place someone who advocated shooting looters?

https://www.insider.com/ashton-kutcher-all-lives-matter-missing-the-point-explanation-video-2020-6

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history

I can't believe people still have to explain why "All lives matter" is a problem and inherently racist.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

eekndyn

🤣

Come on Ashton Kutcher lol

Snopes is a leftist site but go ahead and trust that site.

How is all lives matter racist? If you think all lives don't matter and only black lives do, than you are part of the problem and not the solution.

david starling

🤣

How is all lives matter racist? If you think all lives don't matter and only black lives do, than you are part of the problem and not the solution.

You have to fact-check the fact-checkers.

I've noted articles where Snopes declared some claims that leftists wanted to be entirely true, to actually be only partially true, or even false.

I've concluded that Snopes does make a real effort to be unbiased, and they provide sources that you can evaluate for yourself.

Of course, some people can't handle the truth, so they believe only what they want to believe, facts be d*mned. :biggrin:

WisdomJoy

��

All lives matter is definitely racist and your complicit in it. And, the fact that every time brutality of black/ brown lives comes up, the only response yourself and others have is to cry out that "all lives matter" also proves the very real insecurity you have with possibly having your privilege taken away.

All you have to do is google why your stance is problematic, feeds into a racist system and is racist in itself. There are so many articles from people of multiple races pointing out the same underlying issues with it.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinio...0200603-lfn4m4tdcvgn3kynilx4c73uxm-story.html

Here is another really great and clearly defined breakdown of the many things that fit under the umbrella of racism.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAq9_0uJary/ This one is particularly good because it speaks to you in a multitude of ways.

Last edited:

david starling

All lives matter is definitely racist and your complicit in it. And, the fact that every time brutality of black/ brown lives comes up, the only response yourself and others have is to cry out that "all lives matter" also proves the very real insecurity you have with possibly having your privilege taken away.

All you have to do is google why your stance is problematic, feeds into a racist system and is racist in itself. There are so many articles from people of multiple races pointing out the same underlying issues with it.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinio...0200603-lfn4m4tdcvgn3kynilx4c73uxm-story.html

in retrospect, I don't think the word "privilege" is constructive to the overall conversation.

It's about the right to be treated fairly, and and in an unbiased manner.

Those who are being treated fairly and with consideration aren't "privileged", they're being accorded the civil rights that everyone is entitled to, according to the Constitution.

So, it's not about one group being "privileged", it's about civil rights that ALL are ENTITLED to being denied to others.

Your thoughts on the matter?

eekndyn

Here is another really great and clearly defined breakdown of the many things that fit under the umbrella of racism.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAq9_0uJary/ This one is particularly good because it speaks to you in a multitude of ways.

My privilege? Assuming you know my race.

How about treat everyone the way you wanted to be treated. Its that simple.

WisdomJoy

in retrospect, I don't think the word "privilege" is constructive to the overall conversation.

It's about the right to be treated fairly, and and in an unbiased manner.

Those who are being treated fairly and with consideration aren't "privileged", they're being accorded the civil rights that everyone is entitled to, according to the Constitution.

So, it's not about one group being "privileged", it's about civil rights that ALL are ENTITLED to being denied to others.

Your thoughts on the matter?

I think the word privilege really hits the mark.

Privilege is a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group. In a world that is built on both overt and covert white supremacy, that is the very definition I just listed.

If there are civil rights that are "apparently" entitled to all and for over 400 years this hasn't been happening, then what does that tell you? That there are a group(s) that is being favoured and another group(s) are simply not.

david starling

What if others aren't being treated as you feel it's your own right to be treated? Do you just ignore that, and say "stop whining, get over it, that's just the way it is"?

aquarius7000

You have to fact-check the fact-checkers.

I've noted articles where Snopes declared some claims that leftists wanted to be entirely true, to actually be only partially true, or even false.

I've concluded that Snopes does make a real effort to be unbiased, and they provide sources that you can evaluate for yourself.

Of course, some people can't handle the truth, so they believe only what they want to believe, facts be d*mned. :biggrin:
Issue these days has become that people want sources, when you get them and these reveal the opposite of what people wanted endorsed, namely what they want to believe in, the source is deemed biased.

Issue also is that all lives matter - for that sake of saying - but in reality all lives matter (except black and coloured in general).

WisdomJoy

Candidly, I don't even care what race you are because you can be a person of colour and still be complicit in the system that is referenced above.

If it was that actually that simple then we wouldn't be in the situation we are in today and every time you try to simplify the complexity of race relations and discrimination to a "simple" statement like the one you just made you absolutely are pushing aside the real concerns that Black Lives Matter group and many other marginalized groups continue to bring up about their lived experience.

david starling

I think the word privilege really hits the mark.

Privilege is a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group. In a world that is built on both overt and covert white supremacy, that is the very definition I just listed.

If there are civil rights that are "apparently" entitled to all and for over 400 years this hasn't been happening, then what does that tell you? That there are a group(s) that is being favoured and another group(s) are simply not.

But, it's not a privilege to be accorded one's civil rights. You're not suggesting that everyone be denied their rights, you're saying that everyone should be entitled to them.

Last edited: