Orb for Parralels

Whoam1

Curious if there is an orb allowance for Parralel, if so they would get act as weaker aspects I'm assuming. Like a 1 or 2 orb would make it more along the strength of a Trine/Semi-square?

JUPITERASC

Curious if there is an orb allowance for Parralel, if so
they would get act as weaker aspects I'm assuming.
Like a 1 or 2 orb would make it more along the strength of a Trine/Semi-square?
dr. farr has studied and practiced astrology for more than fifty years
and comments as follows at https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=545922#post545922 :smile:
I sometimes use the Parallel of (celestial) latitude:
when I do, I consider that Parallels in the same degree
and the same North/South division, to be equivalent to conjunctions.

In Parallels of Declination I use 1 degree 30 minutes, up to 2 full degrees, as an orb:

however for Parallel of latitude I consider that the points involved
must be in the same degree
(thus the orb I use here is minutes rather than degrees)

I always look first for any Parallels of Declination:
and I consider these to take precedence over Parallel of latitude
(since I go so much importance to the Equator);
if I find no Parallels of Declination
I then check for any Parallels of latitude.

Whoam1

Thanks JupAC. Would this undo a inconj? I have a Pluto Contra-Parralel Saturn that is inconj. Normally it leave this alone as this aspect is so impersonal however they both aspect my Moon (and Saturn Aspects my Sun, Mercury, and Uranus too).

dr. farr

Thanks JupAC. Would this undo a inconj? I have a Pluto Contra-Parralel Saturn that is inconj. Normally it leave this alone as this aspect is so impersonal however they both aspect my Moon (and Saturn Aspects my Sun, Mercury, and Uranus too).

In my opinion the influence of the contra-parallel would likely override the inconjunct, the contra-parralel being (according to the majority of authorities) influentially equivalent to an opposition.

(Note: personally I do not recognize contra-parallels as = to oppositions; I have not determined exactly what influence the cp's actually represent-remember that in astrological teachings as late as the 1950's, parallels were considered to be when planets were within 1/1.5 degrees of latitude regardless of being north or south: ie, "contra-parallels" were not considered to exist)

Whoam1

Thanks Dr farr. I'm actually now exploring unaspected planets (No minor major or Parralels) I have one true unaspected planet, Neptune in Capricorn
(my dominant sign is Capricorn through exalted Mars and Saturn-Sun-Moon grandtrine). I view Capricorn as a water sign (probably Neptune showing). Any good reliable resources for researching unaspected planets (mine is for whatever reason really powerful).

waybread

For parallels and counter-parallels, I would want something to be pretty close to exact. A degree, maybe two for the sun and moon. The trouble with wide orbs is that we can reach a point where we can make a chart mean anything we want.

A parallel is comparable to a conjunction. A counter-parallel is comparable to an opposition. I wouldn't consider other aspects. They're not really part of the meaning of parallels and counter parallels.

I use parallels and CPs in relation to what else is going on in the chart. For example, my moon and Pluto are widely conjunct, but parallel within a degree. This strengthens the legitimacy of the wide conjunction.

waybread

Thanks Dr farr. I'm actually now exploring unaspected planets (No minor major or Parralels) I have one true unaspected planet, Neptune in Capricorn
(my dominant sign is Capricorn through exalted Mars and Saturn-Sun-Moon grandtrine). I view Capricorn as a water sign (probably Neptune showing). Any good reliable resources for researching unaspected planets (mine is for whatever reason really powerful).

You might also start by looking for the lower-denomination minor aspects, like quintiles, septiles, and noviles.

I think quintiles involving a personal planet are actually very powerful. A person with sun quintile Pluto, for example, will normally have a lot of ambition. The Astrodienst aspectarians show quintiles (Q).

Septiles (360/7) seem to relate to inspiration and discipline. Supposedly they are common in the charts of composers and members of the clergy.

Noviles (360/9) are variously described as weak trines, or as showing areas of delight.

Note that these aspects work in multiples: bi-quintiles (144 degrees of separation,) tri-septiles (154 degrees,) bi-noviles (80 degrees) and so on.

Whoam1

Thanks wb. I think Neptune is string because it's unaspected and in my first house. I'll check for luminary Neptune aspects just in case.

waybread

Do you want to post your chart here? Just note any parallels or counter-parallels.

The easy way to find septiles, &c if you don't have special software is do run a harmonic chart at Astrodienst on the minor aspect in question. The septile aspect will show up as a conjunction in your 7th harmonic chart. (Just back out any actual conjunctions in your radix chart.)

(I have Neptune in the first, as well, in Placidus, tropical. Kind of a life-long identity crisis?)

Whoam1

I already checked septiles to Neptune, there is none. I have also checked noviles I have one to mercury, but I don't feel it.

david starling

For parallels and counter-parallels, I would want something to be pretty close to exact. A degree, maybe two for the sun and moon. The trouble with wide orbs is that we can reach a point where we can make a chart mean anything we want.

A parallel is comparable to a conjunction. A counter-parallel is comparable to an opposition. I wouldn't consider other aspects. They're not really part of the meaning of parallels and counter parallels.

I use parallels and CPs in relation to what else is going on in the chart. For example, my moon and Pluto are widely conjunct, but parallel within a degree. This strengthens the legitimacy of the wide conjunction.

Waybread, what site are you using for determining Parallels? And, do you actually use Contra-parallels to devalue even close Longitudinal Conjunctions and Parallels to increase the value of wide-Orb Conjunctions as a matter of course for every Chart you read? Thanks!

Humanitarian

Waybread, what site are you using for determining Parallels? And, do you actually use Contra-parallels to devalue even close Longitudinal Conjunctions and Parallels to increase the value of wide-Orb Conjunctions as a matter of course for every Chart you read? Thanks!
Not me though, since for me, both parallels and contraparallels strengthen the connections between widely aspected planets, not only parallels

david starling

Not me though, since for me, both parallels and contraparallels strengthen the connections between widely aspected planets, not only parallels

Seems like contraparallels would strengthen oppositions, and parallels would strengthen conjunctions, and vice versa for weakening them.

Dr. farr could explain it best, if he cares to post again on AW.

waybread

David, sometimes you'll find parallels, counter-parallels and out-of-bounds planets involved in a pre-existing configuration. Then I think they would be likely to strengthen the standard aspects. My moon makes a very wide conjunction to Pluto, for example, but they are closely parallel.

david starling

David, sometimes you'll find parallels, counter-parallels and out-of-bounds planets involved in a pre-existing configuration. Then I think they would be likely to strengthen the standard aspects. My moon makes a very wide conjunction to Pluto, for example, but they are closely parallel.

What if they were contraparallel? Dr.Farr said closely parallel is equivalent to a longitudinal conjunction. And, that even a partile longitudinal conjunction is weak if the planets involved are too far apart regarding parallels.

My question is, what is the effect of close-orb contraparallels compared to close-orb parallels when it comes down to conjunctions, oppositions, squares and trines?

Last edited:

david starling

Hi David-- I use a tight orb for both, usually within one degree, but stretching it slightly for the sun or moon. I do consider the // to work like a conjunction, and the // to work like an opposition.
What about when a partile longitudinal conjunction/ or opposition is accompanied by a partile latitudinal contraparallel/ or parallel?

Does a tight contraparallel overrule a tight conjunction, and does a tight parallel overrule a tight opposition?

Dr. farr said he disregards a conjunction if it's also contraparallel, as I recall.

That sounds too extreme to me, and I may be wrong about what he actually posted. "Modifies it" in some way perhaps.

Last edited:

waybread

David, have you got a horoscope example? It's a little hard to work out the problem abstractly

In its simplest terms, a an opposition shows tension between two planets. So far as I know, parallel and counter-parallel planets would be in the same sign, so they're not entirely at odds. A conjunction is not always harmonious, depending upon the planets involved plus if there are other stressors affecting the conjunct planets.

david starling

David, have you got a horoscope example? It's a little hard to work out the problem abstractly

In its simplest terms, a an opposition shows tension between two planets. So far as I know, parallel and counter-parallel planets would be in the same sign, so they're not entirely at odds. A conjunction is not always harmonious, depending upon the planets involved plus if there are other stressors affecting the conjunct planets.

I'm glad I have a Moon/Venus conjunction in Aquarius in close parallel.