What is an astrological planet?

petosiris

Banned
I remember Oddity recommending you traditional books years ago. If you haven't shown an interest for so long, you probably won't until the end, so the saying about the old dog and new tricks is probably true. :biggrin:

david starling

I remember Oddity recommending you traditional books years ago. If you haven't shown an interest for so long, you probably won't until the end, so the saying about the old dog and new tricks is probably true. :biggrin:

I started to, then realized I couldn't accept a system that stopped at a Malefic Saturn, and ignored the importance of gods and goddesses, Muses included, during the development of astrology. It even had its own Muse.
Astronomy and astrology were intertwined, not separated as they are now. You're looking at the ancient past through a modern-day lens.

petosiris

Banned
I started to, then realized I couldn't accept a system that stopped at a Malefic Saturn, and ignored the importance of gods and goddesses, Muses included, during the development of astrology. It even had its own Muse.
Astronomy and astrology were intertwined, not separated as they are now. You're looking at the ancient past through a modern-day lens.

Monotheism and a ''dryer/washer methodology'' are modern-day lenses? :unsure:

I can't accept that you are more mused in the ancient world-view when you don't accept it (dryer-washer).

petosiris

Banned
They were men of this Age, not the Hellenistic, Sagittarian Age.

Ptolemy and Valens worked with physical astrology. The Greeks called their methods ''physical'', not in the sense that they are ''materialistic'', but in the sense of ''natural'' or ''scientific'' - Robbins usually favours the first translation (though he uses physical and scientific at times), Riley usually favours the second translation as ''scientific'' (though he uses physical and natural a few times). The terms are used by Ptolemy and Valens to separate their astrology from mythology, divination, numerology and magic, and to base them firmly on astronomy.

You clearly have a problem with that world-view, and you have denigrated it many times now.

david starling

Ptolemy and Valens worked with physical astrology. The Greeks called their methods ''physical'', not in the sense that they are ''materialistic'', but in the sense of ''natural'' or ''scientific'' - Robbins usually favours the first translation (though he uses physical and scientific at times), Riley usually favours the second translation as ''scientific'' (though he uses physical and natural a few times). The terms are used by Ptolemy and Valens to separate their astrology from mythology, divination, numerology and magic, and to base them firmly on astronomy.

You clearly have a problem with that world-view, and you have denigrated it many times now.

You seek out those from the past with views similar to yours. The Ages aren't lock-step.