Natal's 9th house and living abroad.

Nexus7

Dealing with immigration, insurance, taxes, employment, often limited rights and perhaps languages you don't speak is tiring.
.....and so say all of us. Who did it.

Truly it's not a breeze, uprooting and leaving all the infrastructures of home, culture and family behind, for the joys of culture shock and living in a different culture instead.

I wonder about the Neptune factor involved in your full-moon chart. Could it be, as one of these luminaries is your chart ruler, that fantasy does play a large role in this desire to be elsewhere? Could this possibly be a form of divine discontent?

As other people have also remarked, 'holiday' is not the same as 'settling.'
You might be able to make your home wherever you lay your hat as a Moon-ruled 9th House may hint, but where there is Neptune too, well then the challenges of culture shock, red tape may well pall pretty quickly unless there are other and legitimate factors impelling you to leave your home country.

For living abroad, I would look for aspects between the 4th and 9th rulers (traditional only, don't use modern rulerships for this), and sometimes even 1-9-4 rulers mixing it up - but almost always there's a major aspect between the 4th and 9th house rulers.

This is interesteing, never thought of looking at this. I have libra/venus ruling 9th and placed in 4th conj mercury in taurus. I know you said don't include Trad ruler uranus, but my chart ruler Aquarius/uranus is in 7th strong trine to MC. Might this suggest living/working abroad? now in my 50's wouldn't mind living abroad for some better weather/heat and outside lifestyle away from UK:wink:

I know a person who has 3 planets in 9th house; Sun, Mars, Mercury and she doesn't live abroad or work abroad. Even the ruler of her 7th house is in 9th house, she didn't marry to a foreigner. All these planets are in Cancer and she's a doctor. (I think typical Cancer in 9th house) as you have said, Cancer is a *home bird* and strongly attached to home roots and family members. Astrology is all about *potential* whether we fulfill this is an individual matter.

So I'm surprised when people talk so exact like "you will live abroad and marry a foreigner". You're acting like a fortune teller. I think the chart gives the opportunity. But the person has to know how to use it and the other conditions has to be right. And 9th house is not just about abroad. This is why a little bit of knowledge becomes dangerous. I always say, *could, might or possibly* not all members here do this and make sweeping statements and won't even cite their source of back up their 'so called claims'

9th house is also about inner travelling. Thinking and discovering yourself and the world. If a planet in 9th house is the ruler of 7th, not just a foreigner but it can show an interest in people who has deep thinking and is idealist. And usually interest in higher education, with Mercury there, a person can be a teacher or researcher in a university.

OP, now when looking at career we look to MC ruler Leo/sun - not simply 9th house cusp ruler as in Cancer/moon. Sun is placed in 8th house - a difficult placement. This sun has 2oppositions and a square to Jupiter. This square simply suggests confidence and poss overconfidence on occasions. The sun opp neptune is more challenging however and suggests 'rose tinted glasses' and confusion of identity (sun) espec in childhood/teenage years.
The Mysteries of the 8th House: House of Death & Transformation
by Carmen Turner-Schott
http://www.ofspirit.com/carmenturnerschott1.htm

Now although Scorpio Asc and chart ruler in 12th suggests working behind the scenes,scorpio is very very private and not overly sociable either. Leo MC really wants to be *centre stage* and *seen* and this is an 'internal conflict' within yourself.

Ruler of 2nd and 6th make an sextile from 3rd mars and Jupiter 5th (Equal house system) showing opportunities for creativity, romance, self employment, gambling. Mars in 3rd house of communications is challenged by opposition to mercury, which can be too forceful in speech at times or argumentative. The lack of planets in air shows on occasions, sweeping statement syndrome, with not enough thought. I have a saying, "there's many a slip between cup and lip."

OP, now when looking at career we look to MC ruler Leo/sun - not simply 9th house cusp ruler as in Cancer/moon. Sun is placed in 8th house - a difficult placement. This sun has 2oppositions and a square to Jupiter. This square simply suggests confidence and poss overconfidence on occasions. The sun opp neptune is more challenging however and suggests 'rose tinted glasses' and confusion of identity (sun) espec in childhood/teenage years.
The Mysteries of the 8th House: House of Death & Transformation
by Carmen Turner-Schott
http://www.ofspirit.com/carmenturnerschott1.htm

Now although Scorpio Asc and chart ruler in 12th suggests working behind the scenes,scorpio is very very private and not overly sociable either. Leo MC really wants to be *centre stage* and *seen* and this is an 'internal conflict' within yourself.

Ruler of 2nd and 6th make an sextile from 3rd mars and Jupiter 5th (Equal house system) showing opportunities for creativity, romance, self employment, gambling. Mars in 3rd house of communications is challenged by opposition to mercury, which can be too forceful in speech at times or argumentative. The lack of planets in air shows on occasions, sweeping statement syndrome, with not enough thought. I have a saying, "there's many a slip between cup and lip."

wooow, this is great analysis,for lord byron, I'm guessing :w00t: since I've already concluded we're almost astrological twins, would you mind take a peak at mine chart, too?it's in my signature, and yeah, I know I'm a bit boring with it already, but I just can't help myself :biggrin: also, Sun in the 8th hard? oh boy it sure is :crying:

thanks so much :eek:)

This is interesteing, never thought of looking at this. I have libra/venus ruling 9th and placed in 4th conj mercury in taurus. I know you said don't include Trad ruler uranus, but my chart ruler Aquarius/uranus is in 7th strong trine to MC. Might this suggest living/working abroad? now in my 50's wouldn't mind living abroad for some better weather/heat and outside lifestyle away from UK:wink:

ps. not that my asumptions are true or enlighted, but have you ever considered a place like Venice in Italy for your new home or maybe the Alpes? :w00t:

wooow, this is great analysis,for lord byron,[oh well, finally recognition:whistling: ] I'm guessing :w00t: since I've already concluded we're almost astrological twins,[sorry nothing alike here ]would you mind take a peak at mine chart, too?it's in my signature, and yeah, I know I'm a bit boring with it already, but I just can't help myself :biggrin: also, Sun in the 8th hard? oh boy it sure is :crying:

thanks so much :eek:)

ruler of 9th sun and ruler of 4th (Trad astrol) Jupiter do make a square aspect, but since Jupiter is so benevolent, does suggest working abroad.

best idea, don't let astrology rule your life. You are the captain of your ship/destiny. good luck

I have my Sun, Mercury, and Mars in the 9th house. I was forced to migrate to another country when I was thirteen. (Whole family miragrated to Hawaii, then CAnada.

I never suffered any cultural shock (i am asian) and I always felt I blend in. Maybe because I have always been an independent spirit and well-versed.

As for you. Your Sun is in 8th house, this makes you very ambitious: as long as you have the drive you will make it through.

MaeMae

Banned
I have Venus on 9th cusp (placidus). I have never lived abroad, but everytime I've traveled to a foreign country, I've encountered men who wanted to marry me.

I have also had more boyfriends who were foreign-born, than American born. I am strongly attracted to men with heavy accents, dark skin and cultural differences.

I learn a lot about geography and history from them, as well.

BobZemco

Me, too - sextile between 9 and 4 rulers, trine between 4 and 1 ruler, opposition between 9 and 1 ruler - and I've lived all over the world, and do not live in the same country either where I was born or where I grew up.

You'll find the occasional exception, but it's a pretty good rule overall.

Normally for travel you find the Almuten of Travel and then look at the aspects.

Jupiter is the Almuten of Travel in my chart. The Lot of Travel (ASC + 9th House Cusp - 9th House Ruler -- assumes Whole Sign or Alcabitius Houses Cusps -- can't guarantee performance for non-conformist House Systems) is in the Pisces 5th House. Jupiter is in the 5th House conjunct the Lot and is the Exaltation Ruler of the Cancer 9th House. Moon ruling the 9th House is conjunct Jupiter. Venus at 4° Cancer in the 9th House trines Moon/Jupiter/Lot of Travel

Moon, Venus and Jupiter all trine 1st House and Moon/Jupiter trine 9th House.

I've spent 30 days (or more) in Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Iraq, Thailand, Korea, Honduras, Slovakia, Hungaria and Serbia, lived for 6 years in Germany, 2 years in the UK and 5 years in Romania, plus spent at least 3 days in Monaco, Cheha, Ireland, Canada and a few other places.

Using Alcabitius Houses, Moon/Jupiter are in Pisces 4th House (with 4th House Ruler Jupiter receiving 9th House Ruler Moon by Sign), no Planets in Cancer 9th House, but Lot of Travel is in Aries in the 5th House and unaspected and ruled by Aries 6th House Mars. That would make Venus the Almuten of Travel (Venus is Term Ruler for 9th House Cusp and Lot of Travel and 9th House Ruler Moon is in the Term of Venus) and Venus trines Moon/Jupiter.

I mentioned before the Almuten aspecting the 1st House, that indicates how much control the Native has over their travel. Where you find there is no aspect to the Ascendant (in the 2nd, 6th, 8th or 12th) they have little or no choice in the matter, and they are often expelled, exiled or forced to flee for political or social reasons, or because of conflict or in the case of minors, they go wherever their parents go. When it does aspect the Ascendant, the Native travels by choice for whatever reason.

Last edited:

fushiafairy

using traditional rulers:
My 4th ruler:mars
my 9th ruler: mars
Mars is in Taurus in the 9th!!!
same ruler and in the 9th. You would think I moved across the world, but no. well.....I only lived where I was born for 3 months. Moved up and down east coast of US till 8. At 19 moved from the deep south to northwest california. This is not abroad per se, but the entire width of the North American continent. Where I moved is a world onto its self....very counter culture and rural. Not like the rest of american culture. I have traveled most of the US. I have been to Hawaii and Bahamas. I use to want to travel more, but am pretty content to not go overseas( I Hate flying).

Men: Did most of said traveling with ex husband. We met on a trip and I moved across the continent to live with him and go to college here. He also moved across the entire continent.
My ex boyfriend has moon in 9th. He never felt at home in US so he moved to Europe for 16 years. He was living there when we got back together. He is definately European influenced now.

Both these relationships started out very long distance....I think I just discovered why that happens to me. My first real relationship as a teenager was long distance too....weird.

hello!

I'm trying to revive this thread somehow :smile: so, I've tried to contact Lord Byron via personal message but he didn't reply. And I can't find his e-mail anywhere....I hope he might read this and contact me :eek:)

Once again, we're astrological twins :eek:) I think it's amazing and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity...his Sun is 0 degrees Cancer, mine is 29 Gemini. My Moon is 22 Saggittarius, his is 7 Capricorn. Everything else, I mean literaly EVERYTHING is pretty much THE SAME...Ascendant, Venus, Mercury, Pluto, Uranus, Saturn, aspects between planets...it's just amazing....it would be great to hear from him....if anyone knows his e-mail adress it would be sooooo great to let me know.....

cheers!

invivo

For living abroad, I would look for aspects between the 4th and 9th rulers (traditional only, don't use modern rulerships for this), and sometimes even 1-9-4 rulers mixing it up - but almost always there's a major aspect between the 4th and 9th house rulers.

Interesting!
The above is true for me too. 4th and 9th rulers are squared, 4th and 1st rulers are in a sextile. I have Mars and Saturn in my 9th.

I've moved around quite a bit...
Born in country#1
Raised in country#2
Grew up in country#3
Finished high school + first couple jobs in country#2
Emancipated + higher education in country#3
Married someone from country#4
Employment in country#4
Moving back Home soon to country#2!

(Not to mention the 5 different neighborhoods I've lived in in country/city#3)

Attachments

• my chart.gif
    my chart.gif
    49 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

bittermoon

True for me, too: trine between rulers of 4th and 9th. 4th in Gemini often means a lot of 'action' regarding the home. I have lived in 6 countries so far, and am definitely not ready to settle down yet. Very restless.

invivo

True for me, too: trine between rulers of 4th and 9th. 4th in Gemini often means a lot of 'action' regarding the home. I have lived in 6 countries so far, and am definitely not ready to settle down yet. Very restless.

Wow, Sun, Moon & Rising in water signs! That should also help things in terms of "moving around". I'd love to see what else is in your chart.

Last edited:
Interesting!
The above is true for me too. 4th and 9th rulers are squared, 4th and 1st rulers are in a sextile. I have Mars and Saturn in my 9th.

I've moved around quite a bit...
Born in country#1
Raised in country#2
Grew up in country#3
Finished high school + first couple jobs in country#2
Emancipated + higher education in country#3
Married someone from country#4
Employment in country#4
Moving back Home soon to country#2!

(Not to mention the 5 different neighborhoods I've lived in in country/city#3)

If you use Equal house system, we see Leo/sun ruling 10th house cusp and aquarius 4th house cusp and then we see a *sextile* aspect...:love:

I wonder if you identify with your sun quincunx mars?

Sun Quincunx Mars
There is a combative and defensive part of your nature that fears being taken advantage of. As a result of this concern you develop a pattern of self-expression that is energetic and creative, but often leads you far afield from your designated goal. You are on the path of real development when your enthusiastic explosions of interest attract other person's positive interest, and carry toward your aims, even when your path is rather convoluted
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/quincunxinterpretations.html

indicates that there is an ­element of strain in everything you try to do. You are ­enthusiastic, energetic, and eager to demonstrate your skills, but you seem to offer your services to the wrong persons. Disappointment is likely when you find out that your efforts are unappreciated. You seem to be on the prowl for problems to contaminate your life, and you don't lack for them. You want to win the approval of everybody you meet and be remembered for all the favours you have done for them. Although you competent by anyone's standards, you aren't personally sure of it.
From the book ‘Aspects and Personality’ by Karen Hamaker-Zondag

Sometimes these quincunxs (aka Inconjuncts 150’) are obvious and recognised in personality, other times it can take a lot of self examination to identify with the planets energies and of course they (like all aspects) don't operate 100% of the time, they are simply a facet of your personality. Some say they cause health issues that are unresolved, underlying, dormant waiting to be triggered.... some say you stay at one end, to the detriment of the other, OR end up see-sawing between the two until you learn balance, integration of two unlikely pairings.

Next look at the signs, then houses and then aspects. Now the *others aspects* from these quincunxs/Yods as they can act like escape routes, that can help or hinder the expressions. A chart with lots of Yods (Finger of God) will always be *searching* for the divine answers to the meaning of life, to find synthesis

What tends to happen with quincunxs is that with progessions and transits will create temporary Yods aka 'Finger of god' configurations. Like with common TSquares, they create a temp Grand Square...

If we just look at the signs involved leo and capricorn and see why they don't get on or gel it adds another layer..

Leo is fixed and fire sign. Again all fixed signs are stubborn and don’t like changes unless it suits them but has lots of loyalty and fidelity. Fire tends to act first and think later. Leo are usually sociable, confident extrovert focusing on love and partnerships, but always want the control (like Scorpio) very bossy, very well organised. Wants to be the centre of attention if not will have tantrum or throw toys out of pram. Lots of pride, occasional arrogance and tends to be bit theatrical (some should be on the stage)

Capricorn is cardinal and earth. Capricorns, serious, hardworking ambitious. Care very much about status, achievements and career and what people will think. Practical, excellent with money and hanging onto it longer and harder than the rest of us. Cancer and Capricorn share these traits tight…. Capricorn and Cancer are also the two hoarders of the zodiac, Cancer hordes for emotional and sentimental reasons, old birthday cards, anniversary cards old photos anything looking back. Capricorns hoards for practical reasons, these people have attic or/and garage full of junk just in case the brownies want a pair of curtains cutting up for something. Capricorns always want value for money and expect their purchases to last. Capricorn will always want to structure the life of Gemini and keep them grounded, which is probably what they need. Capricorn and Scorpio at the two least sociable signs. Hence the problem Leo wants to be centre of attention and wants to be in control and Capricorn want someone ambitious, hardworking who will get them the status, achievements and recognition they want.

Last edited:
I have Venus in Leo in the 9th as well.

I read that the 9th house also covers different cultures, religion, philosophy, fine arts and higher education. I have spent most of my life earning degrees of various sorts so that would definately apply to me - not sure how that would translate to having Venus in Leo there but i definatley know I am like the Venus in Leo description. I am interested in different cultures and fine arts.

I also read that the traveling associated with the 9th house doesn't always mean physical traveling. It can be in your mind too. I have strong Neptune in my chart and I tend to "day dream travel." haha.:)

And speaking of Venus/Neptune, I have Venus Square Neptune and boy can it cause problems! I hate it!

Remember planets are modified by signs, where they express are houses and how they express are *aspects*

so venus is where we get and give pleasure, romance and finances. so I bet you get pleasure in higher education, in leo it will feed the pride and ego, then square to neptune can suggests confusions illusions (neptune) about how you spend it.

Neptune in lst House – angular house
Should try to avoid alcohol and drugs. Often have an air of mystery about you. Indicates a sensitive ‑ intuitive awareness of yourself and your environment. Highly impressionable. Certainly artistic and a great appreciation of music. Dreamy innocent look ‑ drift off when talking! Dissatisfied with appearance in some way ie; manner, looks. Sometime appear to live in world of own. Idealist. Physical appearance probably something you don't care for. People may often say to you ‑ look at me when I'm talking to you! Can daydream with eyes wide open. Neptunian illnesses ‑ movements affected ‑ will walk funny ‑ at least with one foot. (twine‑toed as small child or when first walking ) Mysterious allergies on skin or where obvious, and suddenly disappear.

I'm sure if you use our search engine, you will find more delinations on neptune conj Asc...

Liv, this bit is accurate for me.

Fourth house ruler (Saturn) is found in ninth house (Gemini) and there is a trine aspect between Saturn and Mercury (in first house). I emigrated three and a half years ago.

Also it's important to explore house systems and 9th may well have another ruler. this theory doesn't work in my case as I have libra ruling 9th and taurus ruling 4th where venus is posited, so there can be no aspects between the two:andy:

The *main signifer* for emigrating is Moon in 9th house....