Sedna questions - Sedna in astrology

A

Anonymous

What is sedna and it's significance in the natal chart?

What does the symbol for sedna look like?

Is sedna the same as zed?

What sign(s) is sedna attributed to?

Is retrograde sedna negative?

Can sedna be considered when interpreting a grand trine?

A

Anonymous

about Sedna

Most of these questions do not have an answer yet. Sedna has been discovered for too little time - the astrologers didn't have the time to study it yet...

baker

Hi! New to this site, but I like it already. Re Sedna, I find it fascinating, not quite sure why yet, but I think it's always interesting when a planet is named and why it's named what it is. Some background, Sedna is an Inuit Sea Goddess, who, to make a long story short, was sold to a birdman by her father, father was assured the daughter would be taken care of, however Sedna was very unhappy on the island with the birdman who did not take care of herand when her father came in his boat to fetch her the birdman chased them and her father got scared and threw Sedna out of the boat, when Sedna tried to climb back in, her father cut off her fingers one at a time to loosen her grip. Those fingers became fish, seals, walruses and whales. Finally Sedna also sank and was transformed into a powerful spirit, her home now on the ocean floor and now controls the sea creatures. Sedna now controls all of the animals of the sea. The Inuit who rely on these animals want to maintain a good relationship with Sedna, so that she will continue to allow her animals to make themselves available to the hunters. Inuit have certain taboos that they must follow to keep Sedna happy. One of these says that when a seal is killed it must be given a drink of fresh water, not salt water.
If the hunters do not catch anything for a long time, the Shaman will transform himself into a fish. In this new form, he or she will swim down to the bottom of the ocean to appease Sedna the Sea Goddess. The Shaman will comb the tangles out of Sedna's hair and put it into braids. This makes her happy and soothes her anger. Perhaps it is because Sedna lost her fingers that she likes to have her hair combed and braided by someone else. When she is happy, she allows her animals to make themselves available to the hunters. Animals do not mind giving themselves up to provide food, clothes, and shelter for the Inuit. Sorry, thought I would keep it short, but it's good to know the background.

Finally, this is the gist of what I just posted, it is very interesting that shortly after the discovery and naming of the planet represented by the queen of the sea I believe associates with the recent end of December tsumani occurence, along with the fact that a rare comet was passing us at the same time.

Glad to see someone else interested in this fascinating planet.

:D

baker

one more thing, I could the post the glyph whenever I figure out how to copy a picture here :roll:

baker

pwadm

Staff member
Hi Baker and welcome ! :)

Thanks for the story. I did a little research on shipwrecks and Sedna at some point, but failed to reach at significative results.

Anyone can calculate Sedna's position online on this page: http://astrologyweekly.com/online-ephemeris/index.php

For instance, on Dec 26, 2004, when the dreadful tsunami took place, Sedna's position was 18° 09' Taurus in retrogradation, not related to any important planet in the tsunami chart, on Jup/Plu midpoint though.

You may add a picture by using the tags

Humanitarian

Sedna is the Inuit goddess of the underworld and her fingers have been cutted by her father. The Sedna symbol is look like the Inuit sa(ᓴ) is intertwined with Inuit na(ᓇ) and the word Sedna in Inuktitut is now Sanna(ᓴᓐᓇ). The Inuktitut N is the good version of Sedna while the low part of the S symbolizes the negative things about the Sedna. Sedna symbols the parental betrayal on their kids who are female and the woman don't have the freedom to live especially in China. There's also a relationship between women abuse and Sedna too. Sedna also have the good meaning of trsnsformational things like Pluto. Sedna is like a mix between Pluto, Neptune, Venus and Sun(Pluto is transformation, Neptune is inspiration from the spiritual realm and spiritual awakening, Venus is women and Sun is the father in this context).The sign Sedna is attribute to is Pisces because this TNO have a very spiritual energy and also have a different meaning in Magi astrology: Adult content and the s*xual things in the earth. The worst thing about Sedna is the betrayal of the father to you and and the loss of women rights. Eris and Sedna are all about the problems of being a woman(Eris is that the women are want to become independent and Sedna is like we need to become closer to our spiritual lessons and become more awakened and also make us want to leave our parents to become your real self and Sedna is similar to Neptune and Pluto, Eris is similar to Venus, Mars and Uranus). Sedna sign where it's in also reflect the women rights at that time.

Last edited:

Cruiser1

220px-Sedna_symbol_%28Moskowitz%2C_fixed_width%29.svg.png

Sedna is the 6th largest body beyond Pluto's orbit. Because of this, I like to interpret Sedna along with the other "Seven Dwarfs" or the seven largest bodies beyond Pluto (Eris, Haumea, Makemake, Gonggong, Quaoar, Sedna, and Orcus) which all deal with more abstract long term cycles (to a degree beyond even the "generational" planets Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto). Sedna's glyph exists as an official Unicode character (see above) so even some standard non-astrology fonts can display it.

Like the major planets, mythology gives strong clues to the meaning of Sedna and the other Dwarf planets or Dwarf planet candidates. In general, as Sedna's story suggests, Sedna is about trauma, victimization, and emotional turmoil. Positively, Sedna can be about acceptance, healing, transcending traumas, turning challenging experiences into strengths, and learning to integrate and be a steward for the depths (just as Sedna became caretaker for the creatures of the sea) even if we don't want to at first. In this sense Sedna is somewhat similar to Chiron the wounded healer. However, being more abstract and generational, Sedna can cover group traumas such as those related to race or gender, and even more abstract spiritual traumas such as that of being physically incarnated or "coming to this planet" in the first place.

Humanitarian

220px-Sedna_symbol_%28Moskowitz%2C_fixed_width%29.svg.png

Sedna is the 6th largest body beyond Pluto's orbit. Because of this, I like to interpret Sedna along with the other "Seven Dwarfs" or the seven largest bodies beyond Pluto (Eris, Haumea, Makemake, Gonggong, Quaoar, Sedna, and Orcus) which all deal with more abstract long term cycles (to a degree beyond even the "generational" planets Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto). Sedna's glyph exists as an official Unicode character (see above) so even some standard non-astrology fonts can display it.

Like the major planets, mythology gives strong clues to the meaning of Sedna and the other Dwarf planets or Dwarf planet candidates. In general, as Sedna's story suggests, Sedna is about trauma, victimization, and emotional turmoil. Positively, Sedna can be about acceptance, healing, transcending traumas, turning challenging experiences into strengths, and learning to integrate and be a steward for the depths (just as Sedna became caretaker for the creatures of the sea) even if we don't want to at first. In this sense Sedna is somewhat similar to Chiron the wounded healer. However, being more abstract and generational, Sedna can cover group traumas such as those related to race or gender, and even more abstract spiritual traumas such as that of being physically incarnated or "coming to this planet" in the first place.
Thanks Walter D. Pullen for the input! You're an amazing astrologer that I always loved.