A question about prohibition of planets

liath

This one stumps me.

Say I have a perfecting conjunct aspect between two significator a (ex: sun and Saturn), but before the aspect can be completed, another planet (Mercury) makes an aspect to the first planet (the sun) and THEN the second planet (Saturn).

I was under the impression that, technically yes, the faster moving planet is making an aspect first, but since the next planet it aspects is also a significator, it “passes along” the energy.

Then I read the post by Dr. Lee ( http://leephd.blogspot.com/2006/07/encyclopedia-entry-on-horary-astrology.html?m=1) and it’s like everything I thought I knew turned on it’s head. This is what is said in regards to prohibition:

“ Prohibition: the Significators are moving to perfection, but a swifter body intervenes and completes aspects with both bodies first.”

Can some more experienced astrologers weigh in? The key word that tripped me up was “both”, as in an aspect is completed with BOTH bodies. I thought that prohibitions were something like “the intervening planet redirects the energy by aspecting one body and then yet another, unrelated, planet”.

Did I miss something in Lilly, Frawley, and others?

Last edited:

tikana

If you are talking about May 16th planetary position then you get merc sextiling jupiter first then sun/merc unite

To me that is interference.

liath

If you are talking about May 16th planetary position then you get merc sextiling jupiter first then sun/merc unite

To me that is interference.
Hi Tikana, I’m not sure off the top of my head what date I was referring to, but I just fired off a chart just now looking for a relationship between 3H and 9H significators and found that the moon perfects an aspect with 9H (Mercury) and then will move immediately to perfect with 3H (Jupiter) , so it is essentially the same concept.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t do anything super fancy but I took a screenshot from my astrology app for reference.

Would we call this interference or would we call it translation of light?

Attachments

• 0B6F7EC2-17B6-4F2D-868B-8E581FE6CCC2.jpeg
    0B6F7EC2-17B6-4F2D-868B-8E581FE6CCC2.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 28

waybread

I don't know how kosher this is, but I would look at the nature of the intervening planet. Suppose one significator applies to a nice aspect with the second significator, but before it gets there, it bumps into an aspect with a malefic (Mars, Saturn.) I would call that a prohibition. On the other hand, if you get a fast moving Venus or the moon in between, you might have a translation of light.

dr. farr

I’ll make a confession-I have not seen prohibition ever be a significant impediment in my actual horary practice; yes I know all of the theories and rationals, backward & foreward; but IN MY EXPERIECE I have not seen blocking or interference in my practice; note that this is ONLY my experience & I am NOT trying to say anything about whether or not the theories & explanations are valid-whatever theory works for YOU in PRACTICE, stick to it and forget whatever I or anybody else says about it!

tikana

Moon is translating the light because mercury receives moon by triplicity (if asked after sundown) if not look at dignities of the moon . you need to have either merc or jupiter

sinhtheslumberingdragon

Hi Tikana, I’m not sure off the top of my head what date I was referring to, but I just fired off a chart just now looking for a relationship between 3H and 9H significators and found that the moon perfects an aspect with 9H (Mercury) and then will move immediately to perfect with 3H (Jupiter) , so it is essentially the same concept.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t do anything super fancy but I took a screenshot from my astrology app for reference.

Would we call this interference or would we call it translation of light?
It depends on the question. If the question had Jupiter and Mercury as significators, then it might be a translation - but it's dubious as moon has not perfected the trine to Mercury. It would be more of a translation if moon had passed mercury, and was moving to perfect with juipter. If Mercury wasn't a significator, and only Jupiter, it would be a case of abscission (cutting of the light). Moon want's to trine sextile to Jupiter, but Mercury blocks it by trining. It's quite a powerful mercury, so it can be a very strong impediment in this case. A conjunction is the most powerful form of abscission.

Note that abscission by aspect (i.e blocking via aspect) doesn't stop a conjunction.

Only another conjunction can stop a conjunction:
Imagine you had moon at 0 cancer, mars at 2 cancer, jupiter at 4 cancer, sun at 1 aries, mercury at 3 aries

The square from Sun cannot stop the conjunction with Mars
The conjunction with Mars stops the square to Mercury
The conjunction to Jupiter is blocked by the conjunction to Mars, but not by the square from Mercury.

If Mars was not in the picture, the square from the Sun would block the square from Mercury - but the Sun could be someone helpful so the chart needs to be carefully analyzed to see if he ruins it or not (if sun was ruling a malefic house, it would likely be very evil, vs if it was ruling the 11th)

It's not always the case that an abscission causes the matter to fail. Depending on the nature of the planet, it could even signify help.

I hope everything i said above is correct, but that should give you the general idea.

liath

It depends on the question. If the question had Jupiter and Mercury as significators, then it might be a translation - but it's dubious as moon has not perfected the trine to Mercury. It would be more of a translation if moon had passed mercury, and was moving to perfect with juipter. If Mercury wasn't a significator, and only Jupiter, it would be a case of abscission (cutting of the light). Moon want's to trine sextile to Jupiter, but Mercury blocks it by trining. It's quite a powerful mercury, so it can be a very strong impediment in this case. A conjunction is the most powerful form of abscission.

Note that abscission by aspect (i.e blocking via aspect) doesn't stop a conjunction.

Only another conjunction can stop a conjunction:
Imagine you had moon at 0 cancer, mars at 2 cancer, jupiter at 4 cancer, sun at 1 aries, mercury at 3 aries

The square from Sun cannot stop the conjunction with Mars
The conjunction with Mars stops the square to Mercury
The conjunction to Jupiter is blocked by the conjunction to Mars, but not by the square from Mercury.

If Mars was not in the picture, the square from the Sun would block the square from Mercury - but the Sun could be someone helpful so the chart needs to be carefully analyzed to see if he ruins it or not (if sun was ruling a malefic house, it would likely be very evil, vs if it was ruling the 11th)

It's not always the case that an abscission causes the matter to fail. Depending on the nature of the planet, it could even signify help.

I hope everything i said above is correct, but that should give you the general idea.
Wow, thank you! I wasn’t even aware of these principles and I’ve saved this whole thread to my files for later reference. I didn’t know that only a conjunction could stop another conjunction.

Thank you everyone for your input. I feel like I learn something new every day as I’m on this forum!