What affects our mind

reallypisces

I was thinking - what are the astrological factors that affect the way our mind operates - our memory, imagination, ability to think logically, the speed of our thoughts, intuition, ability to communicate effectively, ability of persuasion or understanding. Of course, they are all complex factors, therefore I thought it would be interesting to share our experience. For example, what kind of intelligence would a person with Mercury in Gemini posess in comparison to a person with weak Mercury but with strog emphasis on air signs. What if a person has Mercury that is strong but doesn't have any aspects? And if a person has weak Mercury but with many good aspects? Which person would be more intuitive - with Mercury-Neptune conjunction or Moon-Neptune conjunction? And how would Pisces Mercury conjunct Saturn differ from Capricorn Mercury conjunct Neptune? Do you have any interesting experience?

Polo

Third house, ninth house.
The signs in the planet are important, but I tend to think that any aspect to the planets changes it in some way. For example, someone with Sun conjunct Pluto breathes Pluto. Someone with Mercury conjunct Neptune has his mind centered on Neptune matters. Someone with Mercury as their chart ruler has Mercury matters emphasized.

reallypisces

Of course, I didn't mention the houses. It would be interesting to know, for example, what would be the effect of heavily afflicted Neptune in water in 3rd house and strong, well-aspected Mercury (let's say 11th house) on the way person thinks.

freedomlover

Reallypisces,

My Mercury is in Sagittarius, retrograde in my 12th house. (Yikes!)

It is also squared by Saturn, Chiron, and Ceres in Pisces in the second, and by my Uranus/Pluto conjunction in Virgo in the 8th. :eek:

I also have an unaspected Jupiter retrograde in Gemini, in the 6th, cusp of 7th. Rulers of 6th and 12th, are Mercury and Jupiter, respectively, in mutual reception.

I've gone through a terrible battle trying to hold on to my sanity - with many people pointing at me, telling me I was crazy. :confused: It turns out the people pointing the fingers were the crazy ones. ;) It's taken me a long time to figure that one out, and my poor little Mercury is starting to feel a whole lot better now. :D

Also, I have a friend with Mercury retrograde in Scorpio conjunct Neptune within 1 degree in the 11th house. He is extreeeemely psychic, but also has had a problem that he feels he cannot communicate well with others unless he is drinking.

Hope those examples help...

FL

NicholasH

ive got mars, saturn, uranus(sagitarius) and neptune(capricorn) in my third house. they are opposing chiron in the ninth. also have mercury retrograde in aquarius.
mercury sextiles saturn, mars and uranus.

all the planets in my concious mind so to speak make my brain want to explode sometimes. my brain never shuts of. for good or bad.

i would consider myself to have a pretty steady mind. good concentration at times.

its weird i have moon conjunct asc. squaring the neptune in the third, and i think im intuitive/receptive/psychic but have a hard time understanding my thoughts because saturn it seems like wants to structure them even though not all thoughts should be structured.

rambling..

i think saturn and uranus aspected to mercury or third/ninth house cause a steady thoughtful mind(saturn) or an intuitive, ingenious(uranus) mind.

also it seems like you want to know where the mind is strongest like:
"For example, what kind of intelligence would a person with Mercury in Gemini posess in comparison to a person with weak Mercury but with strog emphasis on air signs."

i think the most earthly manifestation of our birth charts is the houses. they are the areas of physical life. the planets and signs show qualities, but the houses show the areas in our life. third house, literally the conscious mind and our communication. ninth is the superconscious mind.

basically look at third/ninth first see planets, rulers, aspects. then move on to mercury, uranus, etc...

Polo

freedomlover said:
Reallypisces,

It is also squared by Saturn, Chiron, and Ceres in Pisces in the second, and by my Uranus/Pluto conjunction in Virgo in the 8th. :eek:

I also have an unaspected Jupiter retrograde in Gemini, in the 6th, cusp of 7th. Rulers of 6th and 12th, are Mercury and Jupiter, respectively, in mutual reception.

I've gone through a terrible battle trying to hold on to my sanity - with many people pointing at me, telling me I was crazy. :confused: It turns out the people pointing the fingers were the crazy ones. ;) It's taken me a long time to figure that one out, and my poor little Mercury is starting to feel a whole lot better now. :D

Also, I have a friend with Mercury retrograde in Scorpio conjunct Neptune within 1 degree in the 11th house. He is extreeeemely psychic, but also has had a problem that he feels he cannot communicate well with others unless he is drinking.

FL

May I ask what makes your friend psychic?

freedomlover

May I ask what makes your friend psychic?
Polo,

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking.... If you mean astrologically, I'm guessing the Mercury retrograde/Neptune tight conjunction in the Scorpio in the 11th. His Mercury also makes a sextile to Pluto in Virgo in the 9th. He is also a Scorpio Sun in the 11th, with an 8th house Moon.

If you mean to ask what kind of psychic abilities he has.... operates in all the "clairs" to some degree - extremely clairvoyant, claircognizant, also clairaudient, and clairsentient. He has mediumship ability, and frequently sees ghosts. He often knows what's going to happen before it happens. For example, he often sees the newspaper headlines in his dreams.

Does that answer your question? If not, please clarify.

FL

Last edited:

freedomlover

ReallyPisces,

I went back and re-read this:
Of course, I didn't mention the houses. It would be interesting to know, for example, what would be the effect of heavily afflicted Neptune in water in 3rd house and strong, well-aspected Mercury (let's say 11th house) on the way person thinks.

I realized you described my psychic friend. He has an intercepted 3rd house in Pisces (Neptune energy). His 11th house with the Merc (r)/Neptune conjunction is intercepted. He's also very intelligent - deep, with the sextile to Pluto in the 9th.

Also, as far as "intelligence" goes, going back to my chart..... I was known in school as "the smart one" - always winning in math, spelling contests, etc. I routinely placed about 6 grades ahead in aptitude/achievement tests. Maybe that is the mutual reception thing in the 6th/12th with Mercury(r) and Jupiter(r). I pretty much had a photographic memory, and could recall enormous amounts of facts - always won at Trivial Pursuit, too.
Yeah, those were the days... my Mercury has taken quite the trouncing in the past several years. I mostly attribute that to Pluto in Sag grinding through Mercury's home in the 12th house.

FL

Neptune Rising

I've got 3rd house ruled by Pisces, with Jupiter inside. Non-traditional ruler of 3rd house, Neptune/Sagitarius is in the 12th just near the Ascendant. So my Juptier and Neptune are in mutual reception. Also Mercury in Aquarius trine Pluto.

Jupiter is my chart ruler.

My thoughts are I suppose unruly and very idealistic. I am frequently let down by how negative the world can be sometimes, but then I tell myself that not everyone will be the way I want them to be. I am disapointed when people display their less positive character traits, it gets me down sometimes.

I do alot of learning about the more spiritual side of life/Pisces. I learn about astrology, tarot, all kinds of divination, and yoga, meditation and energy work is my passion in life.

That could all be the positive and negative side of Pisces ruling the 3rd house with Juptier inside.

NR :)

I forgot to say Jupiter and Neptune are in square. I don't know if this brings about my more dispondant thoughts?

Last edited:

reallypisces

freedomlover said:
Reallypisces,

FL
Wow, that's interesting. Did the people told you you were crazy because you were smart? I also have Mercury in the 12th but in Pisces, hahaha, that's quite a fun placement. :banana:
That's interesting what you told about your friend. I have a teacher who has Sun-Mercury-Neptune conjunction in Scorpio. She is really nice, but I'm actually a bit scared of her as she always looks like she knew wha't you're thinking. ;)

Last edited:

reallypisces

Neptune Rising said:
I've got 3rd house ruled by Pisces, with Jupiter inside. Non-traditional ruler of 3rd house, Neptune/Sagitarius is in the 12th just near the Ascendant. So my Juptier and Neptune are in mutual reception. Also Mercury in Aquarius trine Pluto.

Jupiter is my chart ruler.

My thoughts are I suppose unruly and very idealistic. I am frequently let down by how negative the world can be sometimes, but then I tell myself that not everyone will be the way I want them to be. I am disapointed when people display their less positive character traits, it gets me down sometimes.

I do alot of learning about the more spiritual side of life/Pisces. I learn about astrology, tarot, all kinds of divination, and yoga, meditation and energy work is my passion in life.

That could all be the positive and negative side of Pisces ruling the 3rd house with Juptier inside.

NR :)

I forgot to say Jupiter and Neptune are in square. I don't know if this brings about my more dispondant thoughts?
Is your Jupiter in Pisces? Your Mercury in Aquarius is then in the 2nd house (before Pisces)? I have a friend who has Mercury in Aquarius and square Pluto, and she is excellent in maths. That's interesting, you have a strong Mercury but also quite strong Pisces-Neptune influence. Neptune in the 12th - do you see some interesting dreams?

reallypisces

NicholasH said:
ive got mars, saturn, uranus(sagitarius) and neptune(capricorn) in my third house. they are opposing chiron in the ninth. also have mercury retrograde in aquarius.
mercury sextiles saturn, mars and uranus.

all the planets in my concious mind so to speak make my brain want to explode sometimes. my brain never shuts of. for good or bad.

i would consider myself to have a pretty steady mind. good concentration at times.

its weird i have moon conjunct asc. squaring the neptune in the third, and i think im intuitive/receptive/psychic but have a hard time understanding my thoughts because saturn it seems like wants to structure them even though not all thoughts should be structured.

rambling..

i think saturn and uranus aspected to mercury or third/ninth house cause a steady thoughtful mind(saturn) or an intuitive, ingenious(uranus) mind.

also it seems like you want to know where the mind is strongest like:
"For example, what kind of intelligence would a person with Mercury in Gemini posess in comparison to a person with weak Mercury but with strog emphasis on air signs."

i think the most earthly manifestation of our birth charts is the houses. they are the areas of physical life. the planets and signs show qualities, but the houses show the areas in our life. third house, literally the conscious mind and our communication. ninth is the superconscious mind.

basically look at third/ninth first see planets, rulers, aspects. then move on to mercury, uranus, etc...
Pretty interesting third house. Do you like science or do you enjoy writing?
I have an empty 3rd house in Cancer but I have Saturn, Uranus and Neptune in Capricorn in my 9th. I do have a pretty messy and emotion-ruled mind (Mercury in Pisces) but I can soak a great amount of knowledge on subjects that I'm emotionally attached to. I guess the 9th house could aldo explain my interest in astrology.

undertoad

reallypisces said:
I was thinking - what are the astrological factors that affect the way our mind operates - our memory, imagination, ability to think logically, the speed of our thoughts, intuition, ability to communicate effectively, ability of persuasion or understanding......What if a person has Mercury that is strong but doesn't have any aspects?

That's a huge and interesting question reallypisces!

I have a very strong Mercury: in Gemini, conjunct Sun, so I can talk about that. Both in 8th House, but I'm not sure what that might mean.

This passage in a book I'm reading at the moment (Healing Fiction by the archetypal psychologist James Hillman) really caught my attention:

Today we call an internal policing of the psyche by an inspectio become inspector-general "mind control". Here we see the staggering consequences of the denial of the daimons: it leaves the psyche bereft of all persons but the ego, the controller who becomes super-ego. No spontaneous fantasy, image or feeling may be independent of this unified ego. Every psychic happening becomes "mine". Know Thyself becomes Know Myself. What Philemon taught Jung, however, was that there are things in the psyche that are no more "mine" than "animals in the forest... or birds in the air". Moreover, without images, the imaginative perspective itself withers, only reinforcing the ego's literalism.

This passage really sprang out at me, because it's a good description of how my mind works, and seems to put its finger right on what a strong Mercury/Sun aspect (especially a conjunction) implies. One thing that comes out of what Hillman says here is the strong identification that people with strong Mercury have with their mind. This also means that their mind will be strongly developed.

Is this a good or bad thing? Aspects to other planets would make a difference. On the good side, a strong Mercury means a great ability to assimilate anything into a mental form - a very quick understanding of anything presented, which ties in with the classic Mercury/Gemini trait of fickleness, the "butterfly" tendency: if anything can be understood and processed into the mind in microseconds, that doesn't leave anything to do but to fly off and find something else to assimilate! I'm also thinking that this implies a great ability to cope: the mind is strong, and unlikely to become confused.

This leads to the bad aspect of strong Mercury: Mercury will never be at a loss. Mercury is only one of the planets, just as Hillman stresses that the "my" part of the psyche is only one small part of it. But Mercury can act as if it's the only planet.

Elsewhere in the book Hillman makes the fascinating point that Mercury/Hermes both implies and dissolves boundaries. Hermes is only extraordinary in being able to go anywhere because boundaries do exist, boundaries which other gods can't cross. And Hermes' other abilities (bargains, treaties, messages, theft) are all connected with making boundaries permeable.

But in itself/himself, Mercury/Hermes recognises no boundaries. All the other planets belong to it, since it can zoom into their zone like a ninja cat-burglar, pick up/steal their energy, and zoom out again in a flash. I take Hillman's negative tone in the passage quoted as pointing out that this only works up to a point. Boundaries still do really exist: Pluto is still really Pluto, Mars is still really Mars, even though Mercury treats all the planets like the connected dots on an airline's worldwide route-map.

Mercury's assimilation of other planets' energies is a piece of Mercurial trickery: self-trickery, since all Mercury can take away from e.g. Pluto is not actually the real-deal Pluto energy, but Pluto energy become Mercurial. Mercury is fundamentally unconscious of its own boundaries, which is what can lead to the "withering of imagination" Hillman talks about.

A lot of thinking in astrology is about aspects: for example, how does Saturn "deal" with Jupiter, in conjunction, in opposition, etc? This is like asking what the relationship of Britain to e.g. Hong Kong or Korea is, on the ground-level reality. From the Mercurial point of view, the culture, history, politics, people, geography of these countries - which might answer the question of how they deal with each other - are a bit earthbound and boring, too heavy to carry.

Mercury doesn't enter into aspects like other planets do, because Mercury doesn't have its own zone or country. Mercury's country is not even Heathrow, Hong Kong or Inch'on airports - it's the great circles between them at 35,000 ft, where there's no weather because the sky is always clear, and no ground except cloud formations.

It's interesting to imagine reading a horoscope as the map of contending energies represented by the planets, to imagine that every planet will try to assert itself and take control of the whole chart, and to wonder how each planet does this. (I'd love to read what other people have to say on this - I can only talk about Mercury, probably because I'm very Mercury-dominated).

Seems to me that Mercury is unique in the way it deals with other planets. It doesn't contend: it steals, but remains unaware that it's stealing, thinking that in fact it "gets" all the other planets. Unlike an aspect between any other planets, which implies contention/agreement/disagreement/negotiation, a Mercury aspect to another planet implies understanding and clarity, but also contamination (the element mercury can amalgamate with just about anything), theft, masking.

By being so boundaryless and going everywhere, Mercury creates new boundaries and contentions unawares: it illuminates the other planet with understanding, but simultaneously obscures it. Mercury thinks it's a perfect mirror capable of showing anything, but forgets that it's only a mirror. You can imagine how pissed-off a heavy planet like Pluto (which I have square to Mercury) gets seeing Mercury swanning in and out and imagining that it understands everything about the Underworld.

What I get from Mercury is never quite the real deal. It's a tricky planet, even more so because it insists so strongly that what it gives is everything. Strong Mercury people are easily trapped in their own thinking.

Lets see what affects my mind :) .

Bullet points are needed for this :cool: .
  • I am ruled by Mercury (Virgo Asc) and I have the "messenger" in Pisces a water, mutable sign. This suggests my mind is sensitive, changeable and imaginative. I also have a really bad sense of direction (I get lost just going down the street). I jump easily at loud noises, and hate to be around loud people. I can communicate better with symbols and images. I am not the chatty type at all.
  • My Mercury is in the 7th house, and I am deeply sensitive to what people think about me. I am really into psychology and I enjoy learning how to understand other people. If reincarnation exists, I want to be a psychologists in my next life. Not this life because I have no confidence for it. My little boy has his chart ruler Mercury in Virgo 12th square Pluto. Sun square Pluto. A plutonian child, I think he will be amazing at psychology. Or criminal investigation, he gets it from me I love watching Criminal Minds and Cold Case :D . I will support him in whatever path he chooses in life.
  • Mercury is conjunct my Moon in Pisces 7th, I like to understand feelings, I would say my Moon tends to dominate the conjunction, as I find it difficult to speak clearly to people or at all if my emotions have welled up.
  • Mercury is sextile Venus in Capricorn 5th, I like creative writing I am not talented at it. But it can be an enjoyable pastime when I am in the mood.
  • Mercury is trine Jupiter Leo 11th, I communicate a lot on forums although less so now than I used to - and obviously I talk to people outside my own country, which I enjoy, I love ALL different cultures, and I like the way we all connect together through shared interests.
  • Mercury is trine Uranus in 3rd, I can have original ideas but I also don't think their unique or independent enough. Obviously I am interested in astrology And when I am trying to sleep at night lots of astrology ideas come into my head. I do get ideas suddenly and I may get up in the middle of the night to jot them down (on the computer of course :p I have to move with the times). My Uranus is stationary in 3rd, but I don't have high intelligence, a lot of subjects I don't grasp, or I can find them boring or I don't have the motivation to study in depth.
  • Mercury is square to Neptune - I had hearing trouble as a child and consequently speech trouble. I had to go to a speech therapist, for a while. Kids used to wonder why I wouldn't speak. I lost a lot of confidence at a young age with my communication and mental abilities. My brothers used to make fun of me as well which didn't help. Although I scored higher in English than my brothers (pay back :D ). I am the only member of the family who owns a book shelf :p . I could spend hours reading in solitude.
  • My 3rd house is ruled by Venus (Venus placed in Capricorn 5th) and Aries rules my 9th with Mars in Aquarius 6th. I have Chiron in 9th as well.

reallypisces

Shining Ray said:
Lets see what affects my mind :) .

Bullet points are needed for this :cool: .
  • I am ruled by Mercury (Virgo Asc) and I have the "messenger" in Pisces a water, mutable sign. This suggests my mind is sensitive, changeable and imaginative. I also have a really bad sense of direction (I get lost just going down the street). I jump easily at loud noises, and hate to be around loud people. I can communicate better with symbols and images. I am not the chatty type at all.
  • My Mercury is in the 7th house, and I am deeply sensitive to what people think about me. I am really into psychology and I enjoy learning how to understand other people. If reincarnation exists, I want to be a psychologists in my next life. Not this life because I have no confidence for it. My little boy has his chart ruler Mercury in Virgo 12th square Pluto. Sun square Pluto. A plutonian child, I think he will be amazing at psychology. Or criminal investigation, he gets it from me I love watching Criminal Minds and Cold Case :D . I will support him in whatever path he chooses in life.
  • Mercury is conjunct my Moon in Pisces 7th, I like to understand feelings, I would say my Moon tends to dominate the conjunction, as I find it difficult to speak clearly to people or at all if my emotions have welled up.
  • Mercury is sextile Venus in Capricorn 5th, I like creative writing I am not talented at it. But it can be an enjoyable pastime when I am in the mood.
  • Mercury is trine Jupiter Leo 11th, I communicate a lot on forums although less so now than I used to - and obviously I talk to people outside my own country, which I enjoy, I love ALL different cultures, and I like the way we all connect together through shared interests.
  • Mercury is trine Uranus in 3rd, I can have original ideas but I also don't think their unique or independent enough. Obviously I am interested in astrology And when I am trying to sleep at night lots of astrology ideas come into my head. I do get ideas suddenly and I may get up in the middle of the night to jot them down (on the computer of course :p I have to move with the times). My Uranus is stationary in 3rd, but I don't have high intelligence, a lot of subjects I don't grasp, or I can find them boring or I don't have the motivation to study in depth.
  • Mercury is square to Neptune - I had hearing trouble as a child and consequently speech trouble. I had to go to a speech therapist, for a while. Kids used to wonder why I wouldn't speak. I lost a lot of confidence at a young age with my communication and mental abilities. My brothers used to make fun of me as well which didn't help. Although I scored higher in English than my brothers (pay back :D ). I am the only member of the family who owns a book shelf :p . I could spend hours reading in solitude.
  • My 3rd house is ruled by Venus (Venus placed in Capricorn 5th) and Aries rules my 9th with Mars in Aquarius 6th. I have Chiron in 9th as well.
Hello!:D I have Mercury in Pisces as well and I can sympathize with alot of what you said - I don't consider myself too chatty either, I feel uncomfortable among loud people, enjoy reading very much and easily get bored and distracted from subjects that do not interest me. That is very interesting that you have Mercury-Moon conjunction, moreover with Neptune aspects. You must be extremely susceptible and sensitive towards the things people say to you. Besides,I'we always wanted to know how does people with Uranus in the 3rd feel. :D
I enjoy psychology too. And detective stories. Must be my Mercury trine Pluto. :rolleyes:

Hi reallypisces :)

I am very sensitive to what people say to me. And misunderstandings occur a lot. Yes detective and psychology for Mercury Trine Pluto. And I like how your investigation is going into the minds of us astrologer's :D . I let all my information slip **** it. Lol

detective.jpg

Now I read back to your first post you are good at covering all bases in questioning.

By reallypisces ~I was thinking - what are the astrological factors that affect the way our mind operates - our memory, imagination, ability to think logically, the speed of our thoughts, intuition, ability to communicate effectively, ability of persuasion or understanding. Of course, they are all complex factors, therefore I thought it would be interesting to share our experience. For example, what kind of intelligence would a person with Mercury in Gemini posess in comparison to a person with weak Mercury but with strog emphasis on air signs. What if a person has Mercury that is strong but doesn't have any aspects? And if a person has weak Mercury but with many good aspects? Which person would be more intuitive - with Mercury-Neptune conjunction or Moon-Neptune conjunction? And how would Pisces Mercury conjunct Saturn differ from Capricorn Mercury conjunct Neptune? Do you have any interesting experience?

Although I think I evaded all your questions (Mercury/Neptune) and just talked about myself :D .

freedomlover

Hello!:D I have Mercury in Pisces as well and I can sympathize with alot of what you said - I don't consider myself too chatty either, I feel uncomfortable among loud people, enjoy reading very much and easily get bored and distracted from subjects that do not interest me.

This sounds exactly like me, and like Shining Ray, I could spend hours reading in solitude. My Mercury (ruler of my 6th) is retrograde in Sagittarius in the 12th. I've often felt like a Mercury in Pisces - must be the 12th house placement, eh?

reallypisces

Shining Ray said:
Hi reallypisces :)

I am very sensitive to what people say to me. And misunderstandings occur a lot. Yes detective and psychology for Mercury Trine Pluto. And I like how your investigation is going into the minds of us astrologer's :D . I let all my information slip **** it. Lol

detective.jpg

Now I read back to your first post you are good at covering all bases in questioning.

Although I think I evaded all your questions (Mercury/Neptune) and just talked about myself :D .
Haha, that's ok. :D I think that nothing can be more informative (and also interesting) in astrology than people talking about and analyzing themselves. ;)

reallypisces

freedomlover said:
This sounds exactly like me, and like Shining Ray, I could spend hours reading in solitude. My Mercury (ruler of my 6th) is retrograde in Sagittarius in the 12th. I've often felt like a Mercury in Pisces - must be the 12th house placement, eh?
Well, it sounds Piscean. It's interesting how this forum seems to be flooding with water. :D

freedomlover

Well, it sounds Piscean. It's interesting how this forum seems to be flooding with water. :D

Hmm, I wonder what aspects Neptune in Aquarius and Uranus in Pisces are making to the forum's birth chart? Pisces ruled - and 12th house, too? Might be interesting to take a look.