lone wolf syndrome

Vinyasa

Hi all! Talking about a "lone wolf" person and people who are feeling lonely. These are two different things . A "lone Wolf" individual prefers to do everything by him/herself but does not at all have to feel lonely. The person might occasionally feel a bit lonely but can then do something about it.
Roger, Starlink!
This is exactly my view also, and in the present thread I am not interested in analyzing people who feel lonely, but people who chose to follow a parth in solitude. This is the basic difference about loneliness and solitude. So I was interested into finding the aspects etc in a natal chart which would indicate a person in need of more privacy. And who - at the end - would be so self-contained, that he would be described as "lone wolf".

Whether it is the individual who ultimately controls their life as a lone wolf or the society presenting them with no other option, I don't know (if I understand your meaning correctly).
Flapjacks,
More or less, yes… what i am saying is that, in a society where conventionalism and neediness rules, to be detached, aloof, disciplined to the roots, self-contained, transcendental,… means to be an outcast.
One basic rule of knowledge is “we accept what we understand”. This is what I actually also just did by categorizing the input I received ;)… What we (people) do not understand, we reject. Isn’t the lone wolf a form of outcast? In the family, at school, at work, in the social groups… Whether driven by extreme power or by a lack of self-confidence, he remains disturbingly self-contained. Therefore, he represents a form of negation of the social structure (where we all need each other and we may hurt each other in one thousand ways but we still remain attached) and an inherent contradiction thereof. Something like “a failure in the system”, an error in the matrix…

His Asc, Sun, Mercury, and Neptune are in Capricorn, with Saturn (chart ruler) in the 12th, conjunct Uranus, and opposed Moon conjunct Chiron. Neptune is exactly on his Ascendant, 0 degrees, and conjunct his Sun. Venus is in Aquarius, square Pluto in Scorpio, and Mars is also in Scorpio. So would you say he is more in tune with Neptune, Saturn, Uranus, or Pluto?

This would actually be my next thought: why can’t we allow interferences between the categories (provided we accept the original scheme of course)… How far away is a Saturnian type from an Uranian type? Can’t he be driven both by his awareness of self sufficiency and by his innovative spirit? Can’t we recognize in the Neptunian type a hint of Plutonian power? Isn’t the absolute control of feelings the highest form of pure power? I have read that women with predominance of Pisces in their chart are able for severe harshness. And from those Piscean women I know, I get the feeling that independently of whether they have already expressed it or not, they all seem able to do it if they are forced to.
Still I do not want to personalize this thread, but if I were to identify myself with a type I would say 60% saturnian 40% aquarian type... This I say not because I want to turn the thread into personal analysis, but I can confirm that yes, there is a fear inside: not the fear of loneliness, but the fear of the awareness of my self-sufficiency, the surprise every time I realize how little I rely on others and how I could continue in the same pattern forever. It is a vicious circle of "no neediness - more isolation - self sufficiency", at the end.

kanshu

The most common, of course, is a strong Virgo influence like a Virgo Ascendant. By the way, a virgin in ancient times refer to a woman who does not belong to any man. In the same manner, a Virgo is a person who does not belong to anybody.

divine g

Banned
I think Uranus' genius can set it apart..makes it aloof..not by personal choice. but the universe's..but they accept their uniqueness, individuality, quirkiness, and dont try to fit into the "matrix"..

Neptune's compassion may draw it back to the matrix, for service and self-sacrifice..

Vinyasa, tell us more about Pisces' ability to severely harsh..because I experienced that..also a very Plutonian/borderline psychotic Pisces father! Again, those 2 fishes swimming in opposite directions..they can be incredibly Saint-like and compassionate, or incredibly demonic and cruel..

PS Kanshu my asc is progressing into Virgo in few months..what makes you feel that Virgo asc represents a loner type?

Last edited:

Vinyasa

Vinyasa, tell us more about Pisces' ability to severely harsh..because I experienced that..also a very Plutonian/borderline psychotic Pisces father! Again, those 2 fishes swimming in opposite directions..they can be incredibly Saint-like and compassionate, or incredibly demonic and cruel..

PS Kanshu my asc is progressing into Virgo in few months..what makes you feel that Virgo asc represents a loner type?

Hehe, and as I see the experience of what a real Piscean woman is able of remained unforgettable, right? :ninja:

Last edited:

kanshu

Hehe, and as I see the experience of what a real Piscean woman is able of remained unforgettable, right? :ninja:

Kanshu, as a born Virgo Asc I would really like to hear more from you.... Not to belong to anybody doesn't sound bad at all (Uranus trining Venus+Mars in air speaking...) But between belonging and sentence to eternal loneliness there must be intermediate levels, or....? :unsure:

First of all, for me, lonewolf = an independent person. It does not necessarily mean lonely or melancholic. Virgos are just known workaholics so it would just seem they're not having fun.

I think "maverick" is a more apt description for Virgos because they have calculating minds. This lonewolf image should not be a mystery when we realize that talented Virgos have enough talents to work alone in jobs or projects that don't require teams to accomplish.

The best example of a Virgo right now is billionaire Warren Buffett. And he is very good at picking stocks (a one-man job). In spite of his obvious loner qualities, he is a very admired and adored person.

kanshu

I probably read it somewhere. But I cannot cite any astrologer right now.

The loner type has a strong Virgo influence. The ascendant is just a way for a non-native to be one. Another way is for your 6th house to be occupied by an outer planet.

- - -
BornGemini.jpg

In my chart, I have: (1) a Virgo ascendant, (2) Saturn in my 6th house (ruled by Virgo) in opposition to a stellium of heavy planets including Mars, (3) Saturn is the most important planet in my chart so the 6th house of Virgo has strong meaning, and (4) a Venus without any aspect with other planets.

The rest of my chart, it seems, tend to amplify my Virgo qualities.

Last edited:

kanshu

Type 1: The Self-sufficient lone wolf. He is self-sufficient, period. He is disciplined. He is responsible. He is aware of the “trip” and of its difficulties. In a world of “let’s have fun and tomorrow is another day”, he is clearly too serious to be mixed with the crowd. He even has a sarcastic humour that often keeps people away. He chose the path because he is aware of the fact that he performs much better when alone. Team-work oriented should not be written under the personal features in his Resume.

I would agree with this one. But I think a strong Virgo influence will most probably create the loner type compared to other signs.

Flapjacks

Thanks for the links!

Here is an article I identified with, being a "lone wolf" person:
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/1998/07/cov_27feature.html

Is that the kind of lone wolf you are talking about? It makes me want to hug that lady who wrote it, because she UNDERSTANDS. :surprised:

I think Virgo is pretty neutral on the subject of being alone and liking it... it is ruled by Mercury, and Mercury in general is pretty neutral. Although, with all the dispute about what trans-neptunian planet might possibly be the true ruler of Virgo, there is room for doubt.

If Virgo is a by-yourselfer, it is because no one can match up to its idea of perfection, but there are many ways to deal with that. I'd be careful about whether or not a lot of Virgo in your chart would make you more of a loner when you also say that Saturn is the most important planet in your chart. (I have Saturn in the 6th house too... I've read that this is a "scientist" position... Mr Gauquelin says :innocent:).

kanshu

If Virgo is a by-yourselfer, it is because no one can match up to its idea of perfection, but there are many ways to deal with that. I'd be careful about whether or not a lot of Virgo in your chart would make you more of a loner when you also say that Saturn is the most important planet in your chart. (I have Saturn in the 6th house too... I've read that this is a "scientist" position... Mr Gauquelin says :innocent:).

About spotting the most important planet, I learned that from astrologer Noel Tyl. In a locomotive pattern (3 or more empty houses), the first planet counter-clockwise is the most important.

flea

* elevated Saturn in the chart (by sign or by house disposition)
Saturn in 11th
* Saturn as ruler of 5th or 7th
No
* Saturn elevated + aspecting Moon by trine/sextile
elevated and trining my moon
* Jupiter in Capricorn and/or in the 12th
No
* Mercury in Sagittarius and Venus in Capricorn or Aquarius
Merc in sag and venus in aq
* Grand Trine in water signs
grandtrine water of moon saturn and neptune

Just going back to the original question.... I have four of the aspects and positions. So am I a lone wolf??? I like my own company can spend ages by myself, not that good at expressing my feelings even with a cancer moon. Take a long while to get to know people and open up.

Yet with a seventh house sun and jupiter in the first I generally get on with most people. I have a balance of alone time and mixing. I have lived on my own off and on for the past seven years, but was in a long term relationship before that.

I have that lone wolf character in me but it is neither destructive of separatist. I feel it is my choice to move between the worlds of community and singularity. Art is a big thing in life for me and certain amount of solitariness is necesssary for the muse to flow, to listen in and connect within.

Rules of three may indicate a pattern, but I dont think they can show how they work in a persons life, as the chart works as a model of the whole life, and models are always imperfect to some degree as they cannot hold the wholeness of a persons life. Astrology comes oretty close, I have always been impressed about that.

FleaXXX

flapjacks,

Kanshu is correct, saturn is the 'handle' of bucket chart and placed in 6th can have serious effects on ones health. Saturn represents a 'lack' usually of confidence in the house of health, co-workers and daily routines. This is the area we put extra effort in, to be responsible, dutiful and work hard.

Caro

Lone wolf syndrome ..... sounds like a disease.:sideways:

I can relate to wishing to spend time alone, however I refuse to fit in a box or syndrome. :tongue: (uranus and aqua here)

I have neptune in first - have meditated on and off since 2000! I see this as place i go to get strengthe. Saturn in 5th in a grand water trine but I see saturn here as strengthening that grand trine and making more earthy. Im glad the pisces moon is not parr of the grand trine cos I think this would make me a lot more sensitive.

I do relate to the lazy bit(grand trine in water) although people who have worked with me would not say so I do work hard(but I am aware of a tendancy to sit back and let it happen and it scares me a bit so I try to go in the opposite direction) I have lots of pisces planets and that imfamous pisces moon. I am one of those people that really needs her sleep and is very aware of others emotions.

So very receptive to others feelings and increasing find it difficult in certain social situations ie in pubs and clubs. I know longer frequent. Yep i read a lot .

I do enjoy my own company and many say I am very independent - an aqua sun. oh yeh I have scorpio rising.

Do I feel lonely ? I guess sometimes I do! However I do not wish to be around people sometimes or indeed would prefer to me on my own that in a conflicting relationships - some friends would prefer to be in a difficult relationships than alone.

Im not that great in group situations but have got better (since meditating) However people gravitate towards me in groups and tell me I am very warm!

Im going off line now for a while - as I guess I would . got loads to sort out

starlink

The most common, of course, is a strong Virgo influence like a Virgo Ascendant. By the way, a virgin in ancient times refer to a woman who does not belong to any man. In the same manner, a Virgo is a person who does not belong to anybody.

Kanshu, I like the comparison! And indeed I know many Virgo's, not only men, who are indeed lone wolfs and a prime example is my own partner! He is a real loner, never bothered alone, no matter which situation he is in. He even works completely alone (his own business) but no one else the whole day. OK, phonecalls from clients, but that is it. No friends either. His clients are his "friends" but nothing close.

kanshu

Kanshu, I like the comparison! And indeed I know many Virgo's, not only men, who are indeed lone wolfs and a prime example is my own partner! He is a real loner, never bothered alone, no matter which situation he is in. He even works completely alone (his own business) but no one else the whole day. OK, phonecalls from clients, but that is it. No friends either. His clients are his "friends" but nothing close.

Yup. That's why a Virgo is the perfect silent partner. I think a business should never be without a Virgo manager. They are so reliable. In fact, I read somewhere that you can actually set your watch to a Virgo.

Vinyasa

The most common, of course, is a strong Virgo influence like a Virgo Ascendant.
kanshu, I've been thinking: isn't that so, that by having Virgo Asc (and with use of Placidus and by living in average distance from equator), you get most probably Saturn as ruler of 5th? (And Saturn on the 7th cusp ruler would bring us then to a Scorpio rising, right?) So, the full debate of whether Virgos are born loners or not, does not actually bring us far away from the 2nd indication posted in my original post here:

I do not wish to personify the question, it is a general theme that concerns a discrete number of people. I always think with the rule of three, so I would like to find at least 3 indications in the same chart:

* elevated Saturn in the chart (by sign or by house disposition)
* Saturn as ruler of 5th or 7th
* Saturn elevated + aspecting Moon by trine/sextile
* Jupiter in Capricorn and/or in the 12th
* Mercury in Sagittarius and Venus in Capricorn or Aquarius
* Grand Trine in water signs
So I am not actually convinced that a Virgo Asc by itself would make someone lone wolf... I want to have at least 3 indications. But ok, under the above scheme, yes, Virgo rising would be one of those...

First of all, for me, lonewolf = an independent person. It does not necessarily mean lonely or melancholic.
For me too. Lone wolf is someone who dares or chooses a certain lifestyle because for some (different) reasons he does not cope with the standards of the social life. He may have a very successful social life if he chooses to, but he is very self-contained. He is not unable to fit-in, he is (most often) unwilling. My remark about the "sentence to eternal loneliness" was rather referring to the generalization concerning Virgo Asc.

If Virgo is a by-yourselfer, it is because no one can match up to its idea of perfection, but there are many ways to deal with that.
I agree here with Flapjacks: Virgo is a perfectionist in many aspects, but this by itself does not make someone lone-wolf, i.e. does not give to someone the strength and wish to exist as self-contained human being. Can also very well create (if not properly worked upon) a very pitiful individual, ready to complain about everything, unable to co-operate, willing to spend the rest of his life correcting the tiny details of zero importance. There are a lot of ways to deal with the concept of perfection, that's for sure.

By the way, this was a very nice article... I have seen how in the last 10 years there are more and more books and articles written by women and addressing to (single) women... Seems that the corresponding reading public is continuously increasing...

Lone wolf syndrome ..... sounds like a disease.:sideways:

I can relate to wishing to spend time alone, however I refuse to fit in a box or syndrome. :tongue: (uranus and aqua here)
Caro, unfortunately it seems that if you are a lone wolf, either you must become a hero, or you are "an error in the matrix". Not much of a choice, eh? Have a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loner
The modern term "loner" is usually used with a negative connotation in the belief that human beings are social creatures and those that do not participate are deviant. In popular culture, however, there is a certain romanticism in the idea of the loner since he or she is seen as special and unique. This can be attributed to the notion that truly great people often lurk in the shadows of societies that espouse corrupt or superficial standards of existence. As a result, the concept of a lonely hero is a recurring theme in stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_wolf_(trait)

A lone wolf is a wolf that lives by itself rather than with others as part of a pack. [...] Some wolves will simply remain lone wolves; as such, lone wolves are usually stronger, more aggressive and far more dangerous than the average wolf that is a member of a pack. [...] Sometimes, a lone wolf will find another lone wolf of the opposite sex, and the two will start a new pack.

I do relate to the lazy bit(grand trine in water) although people who have worked with me would not say so I do work hard(but I am aware of a tendancy to sit back and let it happen and it scares me a bit so I try to go in the opposite direction)
I have repeatedly read on the net that grand trines in water render the individual lazy, but this I do not actually believe nor have I confirmed from the people with such pattern from whom the charts I have in my hands. What I generally believe is that a grand trine can often be non-productive, because we all tend to put extra effort on the problematic aspects, the pressure of which we (constantly) feel. No-one cares about putting extra effort on something which seems to work good - so we do not benefit out of it. A grand trine is the best energy flowing pattern in a chart: as long as its owner is not aware of its meaning in the chart, cannot work on it, and therefore does not get benefit of this energy. However, it does not mean that the owner is lazy at doing his job, or his housework, or study his lessons... If we merely attribute laziness to such a pattern, we risk to misunderstand its meaning and the reason for existing in the chart. Especially for the grand trine in water signs, as far as I know the individual needs more time for meditation and introspection - because the emotions can run very high there.

Flea, I'm glad you jumped in, as owner of 4 of the basic conditions I initially had thought could render someone a lone wolf!
I have that lone wolf character in me but it is neither destructive of separatist. I feel it is my choice to move between the worlds of community and singularity.
To my opinion the above quote as well as the full post of yours confirms that lone wolves are not diseased [sigh of relief, Caro :sideways:] ; that they may also live an - at least seemingly - more conventional life, but what matters is that inside there is always somewhere the belief that they can manage also very well by their own, at any moment they choose to. And of course it confirms also that as you said, astrology comes pretty close, but surely cannot dictate the lifestyle of an individual. :)

Last edited:

kanshu

kanshu, I've been thinking: isn't that so, that by having Virgo Asc (and with use of Placidus and by living in average distance from equator), you get most probably Saturn as ruler of 5th? (And Saturn on the 7th cusp ruler would bring us then to a Scorpio rising, right?) So, the full debate of whether Virgos are born loners or not, does not actually bring us far away from the 2nd indication posted in my original post here:

So I am not actually convinced that a Virgo Asc by itself would make someone lone wolf... I want to have at least 3 indications. But ok, under the above scheme, yes, Virgo rising would be one of those...

Actually, the entire premise or logic of my answers was about the concept of ascendants. The ascendant is our public self or how the world sees us. This means that the rising sign should be taken literally as some kind of alter ego.

If we were to agree with the concept of ascendants, then we should take the assignment of another sign in its literal sense and explain the lack of intensity because of other factors. We would be doing it backwards if we use other factors to account for the meaning of the ascendant.

Another related concept is the mid-heaven. It is supposed to be our inner self. So, in a sense, we can have as many as three personalities--a public self, a private self and our true self (or our Sun sign). It just so happened that I am a Gemini so the different versions of my personality got concentrated in two signs--Gemini and Virgo.

P.S. I'm not well versed in the different house system. I'm using the default "equal house" setting of the World-of-Wisdom software. I think that's the Tropical system.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused with your reference to Scorpio. If we say Virgo is the Ascendant then Virgo is the rising sign.

Last edited:
kenshu
Another related concept is the mid-heaven. It is supposed to be our inner self. So, in a sense, we can have as many as three personalities--a public self, a private self and our true self (or our Sun sign). It just so happened that I am a Gemini so the different versions of my personality got concentrated in two signs--Gemini and Virgo.

MC is not our inner selves that is your sun sign, core beliefs, values and pride...:innocent:

MC = You will identify with and admire the qualities of the sign on the Mid-heaven – it is what you become known for through career, work, society. It indicates very personal &/or spiritual goals too.

It can be said that the Mid-heaven sign represents our life goal; the Ascendant sign represents our way of achieving that goal

Caro

Hi V and others

an interesting topic,

I too thought about the concept of lone wolf yesterday. I think it can sound predatory it is indeed rare as you point out wolves hunt in packs. No way am I am predator!!! So a wolf alone would be seen as odd and something to be feared. I think there have been books and films on this concept which are quite interesting to check out if this has fired your imagination.

the animal totem for lone wolf is very protective and caring of its pack. A very powerful totem. (native american indian) A number of people I know have this as a totem(actually all fire sun signs)

I meant to post about some of my friends with some of your tick box categories, however they are all sun sign sagi's - to my knowledge you would have to take all sagis out of this category. However I know that someone will now post to the contrary. Cos although these sagi friends like to be alone and pick and choose their company they can also be the life and soul of the party, on stage in front of 1000's in a rock group but equally go off for months without contacting friends and family. (one of them used to be my partner)

I would put one of my virgo friends in this category but many love company and indeed can not live alone/be alone for too long!! That is the beauty of astrology - the individual!:wink:

V -havent checked your chart but do you have virgo in it - this is a real tick box/clipboard syndrome.

really have to get off this board now...... too much to do but it has been very educational. thanks for posting.

c

kanshu

kenshu

MC is not our inner selves that is your sun sign, core beliefs, values and pride...:innocent:

MC = You will identify with and admire the qualities of the sign on the Mid-heaven – it is what you become known for through career, work, society. It indicates very personal &/or spiritual goals too.

It can be said that the Mid-heaven sign represents our life goal; the Ascendant sign represents our way of achieving that goal

Yup. You're right. I just read my book. The Mid-heaven sign is what we will actually be known for. I haven't really exerted any effort to distinguish them from each other because, like I said, I only have two signs to worry about since my Sun sign and Mid-heaven sign are the same.

But still of the three, the ascendant or rising sign will be the one we need to understand because it is our public self. For many, the only sign they know is their Sun sign. This will make it hard for them to fully appreciate their charts.

P.S. My forum name is Kanshu. It's Japanese for spectator. Kenshu, on the other hand, is Japanese for training.

Ebenia

I am a total lone wolf, but not anti-social one - I just love to be alone in my own home in my pajamas and think about things. I love my own space and I feel mostly alone in groups where I feel like I understand these people but they don't really get me. I am on a people concearned field, psychology, so I am not really withdrawn from people, I just like to be by myself. I can be very "aggressive" (capricornian way) and active with people, but only for some time and then I NEED my own space or I start to lose it. I need the loneliness to ground myself and really to find again who I am. Am I a visioner, I have high ideals and I have strong work ethics and I cannot think of going to party or something if it might affect my studies or work. But I am not dull or boring, I am very humoristic and very fun to be around with but it seems like I have these two sides of me, the social happy, active one and the silent thinker.

Silence is something I love. Sometimes I love to listen to music at home, but usually I just love to be with my own thoughts. It seems like if I have music on it distracts my thinking too much. Sometimes it's a good thing though. :D

I have strong Saturn-Capricorn-10th house influence with Neptune and 12th house: Sun, Neptune and Mercury in 10th, Jupiter in Aries and Venus in Aquarius in 12th and Moon in 4th opposing Neptune on my MC. Pluto 7th trines my Moon and Mars is in 7th.