What we need to do in 2021 America

CapAquaPis

In the new year we're looking forward to (2021), we have work to do to save our lives, our country and the world: from the COVID pandemic we're certain now we can contain to reduction of carbon emissions to curb global warming or climate change, but the thread brings up American and Californian societies alike need to stop the huge wave of bigotry, hate and prejudice we dealt with under the Trump administration which is set to expire in the 20th of next month in the new year. I thought the maltreatment of people based on characteristics of socially protected groups is immoral, impolite, illogical, illegal and became taboo, but in the 4 years of the Trump administration, there was so much hate and tension in many forms, esp. racism, sexism and homophobia. In this coming decade or the rest of this century, the world's getting hotter and more polluted, but while we repair the world's ecological condition, we also should end the status quo of "privilege".

There's a high level of discrimination, stereotypes and bias against many groups of people who are considered social minorities: African-Americans (racism didn't end during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's nor under the Obama presidency), other people of color (mixed-race, Latinx, East Asians, Indians, Middle easterners, Pacific Islanders and Indigenous Americans along others like Romani), the LGBT/GRSM communities (Gay men, Lesbians, bisexuals/romantics, asexuals/romantics, transgender people, sexuality-and-gender divergent and ambiguous, fetish or kink and polyamorous), and people with disabilities (physical like immobility and missing limbs, neurological like autism and developmental, and sensory like visual/blind and hearing/deaf). The issue of ageism while the majority of Americans are over age 40, esp. baby-boomers born betwee 1945-65 and older age groups, claim they are wrongly judged because of their advanced age.

Also the social status of women (we'll have a female vice president, but we're constantly in a "gender war" or "battle of the sexes" in the US for over half a century) is uncertain inequality among American women continues despite anti-sexism legislation similar of anti-racism in federal and state laws. Prejudice against atheism and agnostics is common in many parts of the US, along with other faiths like Paganism and Asian or eastern religions (Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism, Sikhs, Jains and Bahai). And class warfare has gotten worse in the late 20th-early 21st century period (1980-2020) of widening poverty gaps and the end of the once large (upper) middle class from after WW2 (1945) to around the turn of the century/millennia (2000). We've heard of "white privilege", "male privilege" and "first world privilege" for being a native-born natural US citizen, I noticed the middle class is losing their privilege they gained a lifetime ago.

And looking in America's first 2 centuries as a republic, American society was filled with intolerance: Against European immigrants and ethnic groups (Irish, Italians, Germans, Swedes, Poles, Russians and so on), Northerners hated southerners including Texans and Oklahomans and vice versa (the Civil War of the 1860s and the Dust Bowl migrations to California in the 1930s), the US in it's first 25-50 years (1776-1826) had conflicts with the British, Canadians under the British, French-speaking Quebecois and our supposed oldest ally France (like ethnic jokes and anti-French sentiment), and dislike of Jews or Judaism along other Christian churches or denominations (Catholics, Mormons, Seventh-Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Science). Being born after 1980, I find partial stigmatization of such social groups we now considered "white, Christian, America's allies and accepted by the mainstream" has pretty much disappeared.

What we can do in society is to treat all people equally because we are human in the inside, no matter what skin color, religious belief, nationality, social class, gender, sexual orientation and disability a person has from you. Also is the intense cultural divide between the left/Liberal/Democrats and the right/conservative/Republicans. I don't hate people who didn't vote for Joe Biden, because I don't want to make false judgments about the person because of their political party affiliation. We may have a vaccine now to end a new infectious disease pandemic to claimed lives regardless of the person's background, but we need to inoculate our minds against the thought another person is "inferior/subordinate/secondary" to you. What's next? We go after left-handed people? redheads? vegetarians? smokers? the obese? conjoined twins? In 2021, the Biden presidency wants to heal the painful divisions of hate and animosity to keep this country together.

CapAquaPis

(revisits a thread I made last year).

2022 under Biden is a lot different from 2020 under Trump. In the past 3-some decades the USA swings back and forth from conservatism emphasizing there's no racism (Bush Sr, his son "W" and Trump) to a need for anti-racist action under liberalism (Bill Clinton with his wife Hillary, Obama and now Biden with Kamala Harris). In the 1980s under Reagan after the civil rights movement in the 1970s ended with Carter, these 2 falsely believed the US has moved on away from racism and there shouldn't be a need for any further anti-racism. However, PC-ness in the 90s and SJW activism in the 10s indicates and further reminded us again racism in many forms: institutional and casual are still around.

CapAquaPis

And we had Earth Day last week, I'm equally concerned about the ecological or environmental state of the Earth, the only planet we live on is being carelessly destroyed, and climate change is a serious issue we can't ignore, something has to be done about it for the sake of ourselves humanity and every life form there is. Google search engines showed photo evidence of changed landscapes from satellite or on-ground observations, that's clearly telling me and everyone something. CA is in a 1000-year drought and in the future, Sacramento will be as dry like Palm Springs at this rate of further drying and desertification across the state that has a large swath of semi-arid areas as well its southeast portion is true desert. Water conservation is a hot topic dividing the state's northern vs southern halves, and neighboring states or nations (I live not far from Arizona and Mexico). And desalinization projects to receive water from the Pacific to become drinkable and irrigation use water (we should try this, but expensive and complex), but this is our own fault and we have to adapt to the future to survive.