Inconjunctions

C1

Hello,
Thanks, byjove! How have I missed the fact that I have an inconjunct:

natal Neptune at MC (15 degrees Libra, conjunct Ixion) inconjunct natal SUN (16 Taurus, 5th house, "with" VENUS at 21 Taurus). MC, Neptune, SUN/VENUS (not to mention Ixion) -- lots of energies bumping into each other...now I am thinking in a new way about YOD and inconjunct. Instead of focusing on how frustrating it is to pay attention to first one and then another powerful, sometimes seemingly incompatible energies within me...there is the possibility that the energies
adjust each other.

There's a saying in Spanish: "I can chew that person, but I just can't swallow him (or her)." So...adjustment of energies may or may not happen, depending on whether people are mindful about using heart and will and planetary energies. The tension may be used...or not.

Anyone agree?

C1

EJ53

Banned
C1 said:
...Anyone agree?

Yes indeed.:banana: ...................And perhaps the phase relationship between the two planets indicates the required adjustments?

EJ :sunny:

Last edited:

C1

lol
First adjust ourselves,...then relationships, family (chosen or birth), community, society, human species...

...like that, non?...

...something to chew on...(LOL)!

C1

byjove

Account Closed
R4VEN said:
Thank you, byjove, for starting this thread.

It has been truly enjoyable to investigate these pesky inconjuncts, and to hear about the experiences others have with them. I'm learning something new every day. :D

Well I'm thrilled to have gotten involved in this one! I can't say I have a strong opinion for including inconjunctions with angles or nodes, or not. It's just a really odd aspect to me, and yes C1, hard to chew on lol. I'm surprised it takes another aspect to declare...differing energies.

Me - Sun Aries
ASC Cancer
Moon Virgo

Aren't these differing enough?! Doesn't a square or opposition do the job? If they're...fairly similar, why not draw on the lessons of the these two 'negative' aspects to interpret inconjunctions? Hmm...it's a tricky aspect, this one.

byjove

Account Closed
Hmm

I just ran into this old thread and re-read everything. I've loved absorbing the stories and I'd do well to remember them.

I don't however, understand the real nature of inconjunction now. I understand that there's nothing in common - neither triplicity, modality or gender/nature, but then what?

Is it true that with this aspect, like others, whether good or bad characteristics appear but the manner of the aspect determines the rest?

R4VEN

Is it true that with this aspect, like others, whether good or bad characteristics appear but the manner of the aspect determines the rest?

byjove, I am glad that you have revisited this thread, because I too have read it through and again gained a lot from it.

However I don't understand the question you asked - which I have quoted above. Perhaps if you clarify your question with an example????

byjove

Account Closed
Hi again!

Well if there's value in it still, time to get the motor going again! I have campaigned for bookmarking favourite threads...

What I meant was that I've read some astrologers saying, to a certain point, the aspect between planets is irrelevant - contact is there and energies mix. So some characteristics come out one way or another. The aspect then decides success with those characteristics.

e.g. Mars and Jupiter Consider sextile and square. Much of the confidence and mental/athletic possibilities is there, but the two aspects determine the success/frustrations which come with this package.

Perhaps I'm being a little cryptic...was that better explained?

p.s. check out the artist signatures on this page, many squares etc. but the success of the artist remains:

http://proastrologer.com/artists.htm

Last edited:

VenusInTaurus

Inconjuncts are pesky and irritating. They cant be reconciled but have to be lived with. They can cause chronic health problems because of the stress involved. I have saturn inconjunct ascendant in Pisces. I have chronic tinnitus as saturn conjuncts Mercury also. I think it is fluid from sinuses. It cant seem to be cured and has to be lived with. It is coming from the 6th house. As it is in Leo I have skin that freckles even with dark hair, which I hate but have to live with.

What about inconjunctions in synestry? Can anyone go more indepth and explain the aspect more? I thought the 6th house and 8th house inconjunctions were different. I'm a Taurus Sun and I love me some Sags :love: but sometimes when I'm around them I just get this awkward feeling like we have absolutely nothing in common. :whistling:

R4VEN

What I meant was that I've read some astrologers saying, to a certain point, the aspect between planets is irrelevant - contact is there and energies mix. So some characteristics come out one way or another. The aspect then decides success with those characteristics.

Firstly, byjove, I really enjoyed that link you provided re the astrology of artists - very enlightening.

Now, back to the inconjunct/quincunx.

I agree with the statement I have quoted from your previous post. That is, Moon-Pluto connections will always provide a level of intensity of emotions, and even a certain inability to control emotions, but it is the aspect between them which determine how it is they interact.

The problem - if it is one - with an inconjunct is that the two planets connected by an inconjunct are destined to never properly `mix/meld' - a bit like the proverbial oil and water.

As I get older, see more charts, observe more people, become even more philosophical (if that is possible) I look less and less at the actual aspects between planets when glancing at a chart for a quick overview. That is because any Mars-Jupiter aspect will grant a degree of overconfidence and a desire to do everything now.

But I do pay close attention to any inconjunct in a chart. Not only do 2 inconjuncts feature in a Yod - and that has to create tension - but even one inconjunct in a natal will create tension. But what is infinitely more interesting to me is that just one inconjunct in a chart means that when this person has a transiting (or progressed) planet forming another temporary inconjunct with one of these planets, and a sextile with the other, then we have the temporary Yod, which is often at the bottom of some of life's most challenging passages.

I've just checked the natal chart of the late US comedian, Bill Hicks. His chart shows 3 inconjuncts - 2 are involved in a Yod with Pluto, Neptune and his Aries Moon, while it is the 3rd inconjunct which may have driven his rage-at-the-machine. He had Saturn in the 4th, and was brought up in a conservative Baptist, high-achieving family; in his early stand-up days he often lampooned his father. Saturn's inconjunct with Uranus in the 11th shows (to me, at least) the struggle he had between his conservative upbringing and his desire to tell America the truth as he saw it, in all its shocking ugliness. His Saturn placement was his beginnings, while as he aged he tapped into a seam of compassion and wisdom (Uranus in 11th) which drove his later career.

byjove

Account Closed
I can't remember if you said you've any inconjunctions in your chart Raven? How have transits to them fared for you?

Uranus TR my ASC by conjunction not too long ago, I'll have to look back on that. Also, TR Uranus is about to cross my natal Jupiter, which is inconjunct Pluto natally. I'll prepare the research now.

I'm finding it difficult to detect the effects of inconjunctions though. Is it as 'bad' as a square/opposition ... most of the things I've read on them are as vague and general as interceptions.

p.s. note that that artist research was conducted by a member on here, Frank. A credit to the community!

Last edited:

R4VEN

I'm finding it difficult to detect the effects of inconjunctions though. Is it as 'bad' as a square/opposition ... most of the things I've read on them are as vague and general as interceptions.
Yes, Frank's contributions have always been excellent on all levels.

I don't use the word `bad' in relation to aspects. Aspects just are, and what we do with them, how we handle them may have more to do with the rest of the chart than the aspects themselves. They're only `bad' to us if we don't pay full attention to them, and `go with their flow'. I used the example of Bill Hicks' chart in my last post because I see him as being one who took advantage of his Saturn-Uranus inconjunct, and basically used it to step off the conveyor belt of life and be a public rebel/`nuisance'. Another person may be quite paralysed by this inconjunct, and so stay safe and stuck in Saturn. (I've attached his natal chart below. He was a verbal artist, able to make visual and mind connections. Note his Moon in Aries forms the apex of a Yod. In Frank's article Aries was the most commonly found moon sign in artists.)

Let's put it this way...................an inconjunct presents a challenge which cannot be ignored, but generally cannot be conquered. But it needs to be lived with, otherwise it can take over a person's life.

My quincunx's are Saturn and Uranus each inconjunct the ASC - but not quite sextile each other. I have spent most of my life swinging between massive rebellion and resentful compliance, neither of which is a healthy use of these two inconjuncts.

I usually have to have a transit of any planet from Saturn outwards to form a long enough relationship with either my Saturn, Uranus or ASC for anything to be felt. I ignore the transits of the closer planets - unless it's a RX of Mars, or whatever.
I currently have tr Saturn squaring my ASC, sextiling my Saturn and trining my Uranus, at the same time tr Uranus is squaring my natal Uranus. I am having a very difficult time, but that is only my resistance to change (too many planets in fixed fire) and my belief that most change is `bad'. I'm sure I'll get over it!!

Attachments

• astro_2gw_179_bill_hicks.12408.4611.gif
    astro_2gw_179_bill_hicks.12408.4611.gif
    47.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

serafin5

This is such a great thread; Im so glad it got put back in play again as I've always felt that quincunx's are kind of mysterious and I've always wished for more of an explanation. Personally, I have 3 inconjuncts, 2 that are part of a yod but I know that were not discussing yods. At CafeAstrology they talk about how because the energies cant really "blend" so to speak we tend to compartmentalize these differing aspects that are so much a part of us, and boy that is so true for me! I have seen myself doing this over and over and over. My 3 inconjuncts are: Merc aqua 3rdH quin Pluto vir 10thH, 5thH ven-aries quin 10th pluto virgo, and 5th/6th cusp Jup aries quin 1stH neptune scorpio. Strangely I identify the most with the venus/pluto quincunx more than anything (sorry didnt provide quote here).

I have also read that sometimes within our quincunx's lay hidden talent; is that true? Thanks again for the thread!

Serafin5:joyful:

What about inconjunctions in synestry? Can anyone go more indepth and explain the aspect more? I thought the 6th house and 8th house inconjunctions were different. I'm a Taurus Sun and I love me some Sags :love: but sometimes when I'm around them I just get this awkward feeling like we have absolutely nothing in common. :whistling:

that's a whole different ball game. I'm a taurean and was married to saggi 2x and there really is very little in common. Plus my mother sun is exactly quincunx my sun and we really don't understand what makes us tick.

Taurus quincunx signs are Sagittarius and Libra
But with Libra they have the same ruler ie: Venus therefore there is a mutual reception going on here. Quincunx themselves are bit like an itch you cant scratch, never quite understand where each other is coming from. Little miss of something missing and can cause health problems if issues not resolved.

Spiritually any connection with another person is a Learning Lesson whatever contact but these quincunxs, people don’t really understand where they have gone wrong. My belief is that people come and out of our lives for a reason, usually there is something we have to teach others and perhaps learn from them anyway.

Taurus earth and fixed; is very practical down to earth, highly sexed, romantic, affectionate sign. It is a fixed sign as is, Scorpio, Aquarius and Leo and ALL the fixed signs are stubborn and dont really like making changes unless it suits them, but usually lots of loyalty and fidelity going on. Taurus has expensive tastes, doesn’t do cheap and cheerful, likes the finer things in life. Likes gardening, cooking, great organiser, secretary, likes methodology. Doesn’t like surprises, likes partners/lovers on an even keel like themselves. Very patient but if you keep pushing will explode in volcanic manner eventually.

Sagittarius is fire and mutable sign, therefore restless wants lots freedom and independence and movement within relationships. Sagittarius the sign of born careerist, teacher and traveller. Very philosophical, broad minded free thinking and duplicitous. ALL the mutable signs can be duplicitous, do as I say but not do as I do! Sagittarius doesn’t usually like being stuck at home doing nurturing it wants to be out having social life and social contact (and drink….) with people and independence.

All fire signs tend to act first and think later. Some Sagg can be bit of thrill of chase me merchants or catch me if you can, cos they like to play the field first and usually quite late for settling down. Taureans wont understand this need to be out all the time and why they not content like them to be in the family unit. Sagg may well feel bit stuck in a rut and want to do things without partner which will inevitably make Taurus feel insecure and unloved.

Sometimes these quincunxs are obvious and recognised in personality, other times it can take a lot of self examination to identify with the planets energies and of course they (like all aspects) don't operate 100% of the time, they are simply a facet of your personality. Some say they cause health issues that are unresolved, underlying, dormant waiting to be triggered.... some say you stay at one end, to the detriment of the other, OR end up see-sawing between the two until you learn balance, integration of two unlikely pairings.

Next look at the signs, then houses and then aspects. Now the *others aspects* from these quincunxs/Yods as they can act like escape routes, that can help or hinder the expressions. A chart with lots of Yods (Finger of God) will always be *searching* for the divine answers to the meaning of life, to find synthesis

If someone has the ‘generational Pluto sextile neptune’ (born after 1940) then there is always a possibility of creating a temporary Yod with quicker moving planets, progressions, solar arcs even and difficult situations where you could be forced into making decisions and worrying that you have made the wrong one. Saturn, Uranus are generational to and unless these two fall in first quadrant (the most personal) the may not even be felt if they create a temporary Yod…this could be *transformation through suffering* type aspect

Thread by R4ven on Yods
Some of what you may feel/experience are:
  • things which happen out of the blue, and these things affect us, but are not created by us.
  • being faced with impossible choices, but where we are forced into choose something
  • a feeling of having been wronged in some way, and that we `don't deserve this' to be happening to us.
  • feeling like we're on a continual search for something in our lives, although we don't know what this `something' is.
  • well-made plans being interrupted, or even hijacked totally
  • difficulty in coping within formal education systems - eg. as in being given limited time frames in which to complete tasks (this can create high stress levels in anyone with a yod)
  • the yod itself does not provide any clear direction in life.
  • those with unaspected planets will have difficulty in using it effectively when put under pressure.
  • walking a different path, feeling `different' from others can lead to deep feelings of insecurity, and perhaps even believing themselves to have been `born into the wrong family'. (This one freaked me out a bit, since I spent much of my childhood believing this...)
  • with an unaspected planet, in childhood the over-developed effects of the planet may be suppressed in some way by parents. (eg. my brother has an unaspected `duet' between Mars and Jupiter. As a child he `bounced off the walls' and was a real handful. My mother took him to the Dr and he was put on some kind of sedative to calm him down. Eventually he became a successful athlete, and so this became a channel for his excessive energy.)
  • unconsciously developing towards future activities - perhaps over a period of years - without being aware of this.
  • a sense that one is a Spiritual Warrior, as you find that what seems to satisfy others in life in no way is satisfactory for you - that you are searching for `something more'.
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15271&highlight=yods

R4ven,

My quincunx's are Saturn and Uranus each inconjunct the ASC - but not quite sextile each other. I have spent most of my life swinging between massive rebellion and resentful compliance, neither of which is a healthy use of these two inconjuncts.

I usually have to have a transit of any planet from Saturn outwards to form a long enough relationship with either my Saturn, Uranus or ASC for anything to be felt. I ignore the transits of the closer planets - unless it's a RX of Mars, or whatever.
I currently have tr Saturn squaring my ASC, sextiling my Saturn and trining my Uranus, at the same time tr Uranus is squaring my natal Uranus. I am having a very difficult time, but that is only my resistance to change (too many planets in fixed fire) and my belief that most change is `bad'. I'm sure I'll get over it!!

Saturn in your chart does take on more importance being chart ruler and i can imagine anything transiting Asc will set off into a Yod. I have something similar but anything transiting my Asc sets off Grand Square which causes enormous tension and problems...

i notice T Uranus should be trining your mercury, for which mercury rules 6th and 9th.

so, if we just look at the signs involved to see why they are sooo incompatible then...

Leo quincunx Capricorn
Leo is fixed and fire sign. Again all fixed signs are stubborn and don’t like changes unless it suits them but has lots of loyalty and fidelity. Fire tends to act first and think later. Leo are usually sociable, confident extrovert focusing on love and partnerships, but always want the control (like Scorpio) very bossy, very well organised. Wants to be the centre of attention if not will have tantrum or throw toys out of pram. Lots of pride, occasional arrogance and tends to be bit theatrical (some should be on the stage)

Capricorn is cardinal and earth. Capricorns, serious, hardworking ambitious. Care very much about status, achievements and career and what people will think. Practical, excellent with money and hanging onto it longer and harder than the rest of us. Cancer and Capricorn share these traits tight…. Capricorn and Cancer are also the two hoarders of the zodiac, Cancer hordes for emotional and sentimental reasons, old birthday cards, anniversary cards old photos anything looking back. Capricorns hoards for practical reasons, these people have attic or/and garage full of junk just in case the brownies want a pair of curtains cutting up for something. Capricorns always want value for money and expect their purchases to last. Capricorn will always want to structure the life of Gemini and keep them grounded, which is probably what they need. Capricorn and Scorpio at the two least sociable signs. Hence the problem Leo wants to be centre of attention and wants to be in control and Capricorn want someone ambitious, hardworking who will get them the status, achievements and recognition they want.

So cappi being your Asc and outer mode of expression will be 'most visible' to others yet the leo Asc really wants to be made to feel the centre of attention espec in relationships
I don't consider your saturn pluto are conj at 10' separating. Otherwise, your saturn is well aspected and the easy aspects help to negate the worst of the hard aspects. So saturn trine jupiter and sextile venus flows much more readily. let's not remember these 'quincunx aspects' don't operate 100% of the time, you may only see these as occasional issues.

personally, I have the venus quincunx saturn

So venus, restriction and lack of affection in childhood is quite possible, as with all venus/saturn hard aspects. I have found that father/men (saturn) don't always understand what brings me pleasure. I'm not talking sexual matters, but venusian things, how you earn money, where you give and receive pleasure in life in general.....

As an example, when I started learning astrology, I then did my Adult Educ teacher training course, so I could teach astrology, but my father's opinion of astrology had little value in the real world, BUT the teacher training 'could' have useful applications in the real world of commerce (saturn) and could transfer those skills into mainstream business

Most of the text book quotes I don't feel apply, they can suggest low self esteem or feeling used by others and resentful due to this. This can be a problem without taking the whole chart into consideration, rather than taking just one aspect (which is simply facet of your personality) out of context

Last edited:
Byjove, your two quincunxs being moon quincunx sun and jupiter quincunx pluto. Let's not forget a transiting planet, progression or solar arc can temporarily create a YOd to.

Jupiter quincunx Pluto
Opinion, power…. Wanting everything at once. Misunderstand the reactions they get from others. Can have a transforming effect through philosophy and spiritual things..

“you will have to make significant adjustments in your life to justify the knowledge that you have. The line of least resistance is to complain about your fate and challenge the need to submit to it. This may lead you to become an opportunist, taking from others what you consider rightfully yours. You are missing the message completely if you do not yield to your real task, which is to become fully acquainted with changing social conditions and use your talent to do something constructive about them.”
From the book ‘Aspects and Personality’ by Karen Hamaker-Zondag

Jupiter Quincunx (Inconjunct) Pluto
“Your overly self-secure mode of interacting disguises some deep distrust of your own foundations. Behind your flamboyance and manipulative assertions are some profound insecurities. When you come to terms with your own weaknesses and see them as not so profound or bad, you will simultaneously become more open and acknowledging of other people's values and points of view. This lays the foundation to use your vast insight and expanse of vision in a positive manner.”
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/quincunxinterpretations.html

perhaps you could add how YOU feel these play out in your life..

Sun Quincunx (Inconjunct) Moon
“Your perceptions of others and of life circumstances alter as you get older. As others misunderstand your intentions and you misjudge others' motivations, natural corrections occur for you. It is through concentrating on the core values of communication in relationships that you make major adjustments between your ego drives and your emotional needs. This becomes a critical mechanism for personal growth and development”

http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/quincunxinterpretations.html

“your ties to the past and to emotional security are misaligned with the ways in which you consciously express your will and desire. The resulting stress is usually seen in your relationships. In your desire to hold on to old friends and associates, you make enormous ­concessions. You create situations that bind you with obligations to people and that are difficult to free yourself from. You so complicate your life this way that one would suspect your enjoy suffering at the hands of others. “
From the book ‘Aspects and Personality’ by Karen Hamaker-Zondag

I would have to ask (like with hard aspects) did your parents really understand one another? or was it an uneasy alliance perhaps?

If we just look at the 'signs' involed to see why they don't gel..

Aries quincunx Virgo.
Aries is very straightforward, what you see is what you get, calls a spade a shovel and is very direct and to the point, rather impatient and impulsive, soon to flare up soon to flare doesn’t hold grudges. Very good at starting things, motivating people and starting projects but not good at finishing them, not very good with money either except spending it. Aries belongs to a group of 3signs which values it freedom and independence very highly. Sagittarius and Aquarius other two.

Although its easy to see why these people get together, because they are both highly sexed signs. In fact Aries is joint second place with Taurus, but Taurus is much more romantic and affectionate and loving, Aries wants quantity and Taurus wants quality.

Now Virgo is very similar to Scorpio insomuch as they are both extremely analytical, but Virgo is ‘born worrier’ same as Cancer, these two signs can really worry for the rest of us. They do keep churning things over and over and this can cause mental stress. Can be quite, sit at the back of classroom, wants to go unnoticed, power behind the throne. You find a lot of Virgo’s in banking/finance or complimentary therapies. Do have a thing about health and hygiene, most are very clean but some are complete opposites. Can nitpit and sometimes pay too much attention to small details and not look at broader bigger picture. Can be sarcastic, critical and very restless, cos it’s a ‘mutable sign’ and all the mutable signs are restless! There is nothing restless about Aries, can make decisions in snap instant and really wouldn’t appreciate nit picking. Aries wants to start lots projects, have a go at allsorts and Virgo does not want to scatter its energies, it focused and practical. Virgo probably wouldn’t appreciate the direct approach cos it wants to look deeply into things first, weigh up pros and cons

Now your moon only has hard aspects, whereas sun has some nice trines which should help to smooth things out..