How to Calculate Progressions

Moog

Good idea JMO

Although much is destroyed or hidden awaiting discovery by delighted archaeologists, there are a few clues http://www.babylonianastrology.com/:smile:

Yeah, maybe it's all Babylonian, and maybe they nicked it from an earlier culture.

Why do you write JMO? I keep thinking you're meaning to type IMO and hitting the wrong button, but you seem to be doing it consistently now.

JUPITERASC

Yeah, maybe it's all Babylonian, and maybe they nicked it from an earlier culture.

Why do you write JMO? I keep thinking you're meaning to type IMO and hitting the wrong button, but you seem to be doing it consistently now.
JMO = Just My Opinion - that's all... mystery solved :smile:

dr. farr

Relative to speculations on origins, joining with Moog's statement ..."who knows where any of this stuff originated"...we do know from archaeology (mainstream archaeology) that the Indus Valley Civilization (IVC) c.3300BC (at the latest) and the Sumerian Civilization at the same period of time, were in regular contact, since many Sumerian trade artifacts have been found at Harappa and other IVC sites: it is quite possible, indeed likely, that there was also an exchange of intellectual ideas as well, and certainly what we now call "astrology" would have been a very important subject for both civilizations: did concepts flow only from Sumeria to the IVC? More likely, I think concepts flowed BOTH ways, so there MIGHT just be BOTH Sumerian AND IVC concepts at the ultimate root of our astrological traditions...note that both Hellenist astrology and Vedic astrology (and its several variants) developed MUCH later than these earliest (recorded) times.

Last edited:

enigmas

Thank you astro11 and jupiterasc!

One more thing...when analyzing progression...for example mars in my case...is this mars only important (have important influence) in year when he finely conjuncts descendant? and in next years when he is no longer exactly on descendent he is no more object of analyzing and i will not interpret anymore him as Astro11 said? (except if he is making some aspect with natal planet)

If I understood well only those years are important in which some progressed personal planet is switching the sign, houses or conjuncts some natal planet? right?

astro11

I would probably use a 2 degree orb in which you would feel the effects of Mars conjunct descendant, thus these effects will likely last for a couple of years.

In addition to what you mentioned, look for progressed planets making aspects to other progressed planets, they could have strong effects. A transiting planet can also affect your life through contacting a progressed planet.

If you notice in your solar return that degree(s) are the same as your progressed planet(s) or angle(s), it will highlight the affairs of that planet and house. For example, if you have Venus at 10 degrees Gemini in your solar return and your progressed Mars is at 10 degrees Gemini, it is likely when an outer planet makes an aspect to 10 Gemini, something will happen related to those two planets. In general, the more you see a degree repeating, the more significant it becomes.

Your progressed moon is making an exact conjunction to your sun right now, this is probably your most significant progressed aspect. How do you feel it is affecting your life?