Two Signs in One House?

Davi_Alan

Hello Everyone,

Well, it just happens that I've been working on my very first chart interpretation for a very dear friend, but there's something in his natal map that's confusing me. It appears that he has two signs in the same house. For example, if we take the case of his Ascendant, we see that there's both Virgo rising and Libra. So, while on his Ascendant is in Virgo, his Moon falls on 7 degree Libra. So how does one interpret that? Moon in Libra in the 1st House? Take the case of his Jupiter. A lot of Virgo is falling on the 12th house, altough it is technically considered that Leo is ruling it, but Jupiter is 10° degrees in Virgo, but in the 12th house...so am I to consider Jupiter as being influenced by Leo or Virgo? I'm so confused...can somebody please help me? This is the first time I'm dealing with this situation, and in my map, the signs fall neatly and orderly into each house.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_03_flavio_bastos_16921_30234.jpg
    astro_2gw_03_flavio_bastos_16921_30234.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Kannon

I can't actually tell from the chart image you've posted here, since it isn't full size/resolution.

Try re-posting the chart in full size and resolution.

Davi_Alan

Hi Kannon,

Well, at least when I click twice on it, it opens up in another window enlarged. I wouldn't know how to post it any other way. The other charts I posted on other threads were done the same way I just did it.

When I click on the thumbnail, it opens small image of it, and when I click on the small image, it opens enlarged in another window. Does that help?

JUPITERASC

Hello Everyone,
Well, it just happens that I've been working on my very first chart interpretation for a very dear friend, but there's something in his natal map that's confusing me. It appears that he has two signs in the same house.
There are at least forty different house systems. Fourteen of those are available on astro.com when one clicks on the Extended Chart Selection option on the free charts page. Experiment with creating your friend's natal chart in several different house systems and notice how (a) the planets vary in relation to house position (b) borders of houses vary

That means that house position of planets is entirely dependent on the house system used

Good explanation of the general history is viewable at
http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html
For example, if we take the case of his Ascendant, we see that there's both Virgo rising and Libra. So, while on his Ascendant is in Virgo, his Moon falls on 7 degree Libra. So how does one interpret that? Moon in Libra in the 1st House? Take the case of his Jupiter. A lot of Virgo is falling on the 12th house, altough it is technically considered that Leo is ruling it, but Jupiter is 10° degrees in Virgo, but in the 12th house...so am I to consider Jupiter as being influenced by Leo or Virgo? I'm so confused...can somebody please help me? This is the first time I'm dealing with this situation
A recent discussion on this forum viewable at http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53276&highlight=cusp may be of interest as well as of use to you in understanding exactly how a 'cusp' aka 'border of a house' is defined :smile:
...and in my map, the signs fall neatly and orderly into each house.
That is either due to your geographical location OR because you are using Whole Sign House system for which one whole sign = one whole house

Claire19

Interpretation takes much time and expertise and while it is fine to practise with friends you need to advise them that you are only a novice and can give guidance but ultimately we are the masters of our lives and our charts and have free will. Hopefully you are not charging money for your services yet.

A planet in a house takes precedence over a mere cusp ruler. For now Mercury rules Virgo but you need to look at its aspects to get a clear picture of his personality.

Davi_Alan

Hello Claire,

By no means I am charging for this, and yes, I made it pretty clear for him that this was strictly for practice purposes. He's very interested in astrology, but has never gotten out of the phase of simply knowing what the characteristics of each sign are.

As for the answer you gave to my question, I must say I didn't understand what you meant. Yes, I know that Mercuy is the planetary ruler of Virgo, but in his chart, Virgo is on the Ascendant and Mercury is in his sixth house.

And as for JUPIRTERASC, while I appreciate the insights you've given to some of the other questions I've posted here, I must confess that your answer did not clarify a lot for me. Can you see the chart I attached or did you have any problems seeing it like Kannon?

Basically, what I mean is that it seems like there are two signs falling under the same house. Take his Ascendant for example, Virgo and Libra are falling under the same 1st house, and while there are no planets under Virgo in the 1st house, the moon falls on 7° Libra, and indeed, while Virgo is the Ascendant, Libra seems to take most of the space in the 1st House. So under which house influence would I consider his Moon to be in? Libra in the 1st or 2nd House?

Basically, the question comes down to this - can a house have more than one sign in it?

JUPITERASC

And as for JUPIRTERASC, while I appreciate the insights you've given to some of the other questions I've posted here, I must confess that your answer did not clarify a lot for me. Can you see the chart I attached or did you have any problems seeing it like Kannon?

Basically, what I mean is that it seems like there are two signs falling under the same house. Take his Ascendant for example, Virgo and Libra are falling under the same 1st house, and while there are no planets under Virgo in the 1st house, the moon falls on 7° Libra, and indeed, while Virgo is the Ascendant, Libra seems to take most of the space in the 1st House. So under which house influence would I consider his Moon to be in? Libra in the 1st or 2nd House?

Basically, the question comes down to this - can a house have more than one sign in it?
Basically Davi_Alan, IT DEPENDS ON THE HOUSE SYSTEM YOU USE!

An easy way to verify this is to use astro.com's free chart 'EXTENDED CHART SELECTION PAGE'

On 'EXTENDED CHART SELECTION PAGE' you can create alternative natal charts by using any one of fourteen different house systems. The default house system on astro.com is Placidus.

So, to get a visual representation of what I have said. then simply create two natal charts, one using Placidus house system, the other using Whole Signs house system. Then compare them.
:smile:

JUPITERASC

And as for JUPITERASC, while I appreciate the insights you've given to some of the other questions I've posted here, I must confess that your answer did not clarify a lot for me. Can you see the chart I attached or did you have any problems seeing it like Kannon?
The chart you attached, when clicked on, is easy to view. You created the chart using Placidus house system. By using Whole Signs house system you get an alternative view. There are many alternative house systems available :smile:

astro11

Yes, a house can have more than 1 sign in it and usually does. The correct interpretation is moon in Libra in first house and Jupiter in Virgo in 12th house. I prefer to use Placidus houses because they seem to give accurate results more consistently.

Davi_Alan

Ok, so I was suppose to do what I thought from the beginning - interpret the Moon as falling under 1st House influence but under the sign of Libra and the same with the following planets. Thanks Samantha.

JUPITERASC

Yes, a house can have more than 1 sign in it and usually does..
Not necessarily. The natal charts of those born in any region of planet Earth that is located precisely on the Equator as well as some distance north or south of it cannot have intercepted houses. And that's quite a few hundreds of millions perhaps a billion or more people! Interception is related to how far North or South of the Equator that the birth occurs :smile:

Frisiangal

Hello Everyone,

..... if we take the case of his Ascendant, we see that there's both Virgo rising and Libra. So, while on his Ascendant is in Virgo, his Moon falls on 7 degree Libra. So how does one interpret that? Moon in Libra in the 1st House?

As Claire says, the planet in the house takes precedence.
So how does a Moon in Libra act and through the aspects it makes?

Your friend probably tries to come across as a very friendly and sociable type (Libra) who wishes to belong (Moon) in the group (Moon ruler 11th house) in which everyone takes to him. He' ll do his best to please. Yet with Virgo rising he may possess a critically (self) discriminating side regarding the same people with whom he wishes to associate, maybe thinking that he doesn't 'fit in' (Mercury in Pisces). He could tell whopper stories coming from a rich fantasy(Mercury opp. Jupiter) in order to feel liked, that could counteract a general lack of Virgo security he experiences in his daily life.
Virgo Asc. will see(k) the proof of and in everything. Libra will prefer to discuss and compromise but Virgo is able to distinguish between two or more variations, even if it's ruler, through Pisces, may not voice it or want to go along with what it perceives as the reality of a situation.

Take the case of his Jupiter. A lot of Virgo is falling on the 12th house, altough it is technically considered that Leo is ruling it, but Jupiter is 10° degrees in Virgo, but in the 12th house...so am I to consider Jupiter as being influenced by Leo or Virgo?

Jupiter is influenced by Virgo. It's the happy believer and believer in happiness. The one influences the other. It rules the 4th house, so can possibly refer to (belief in)something that is not or no longer 'physically'(Virgo) apparent. Leo is on the cusp of the 12th house. It may become a case of finding faith in one's self with Leo's ruler, Sun, in Pisces.:wink:

JUPITERASC

JUPITERASC, I went back to the Astrodienst website and I see now what you mean about the whole sign system.
Great Davi_Alan! So now you understand the variations between the different house systems in relation to Whole Sign houses, you may be interested to learn that almost two thousand years ago, BEFORE most house systems were even dreamed of, ancient astrologers used Whole Sign houses in tandem with Porphyry house system in order to:

(1) Assess Topics with the use of Whole Sign Houses

and (2) Assess 'Dynamical strength' with the use of what is today referred to as Porphyry houses

Today, one may for example assess 'Topics' with Whole Sign Houses and then also 'dynamical strength' with Placidus Houses. Each house system has value for a particular purpose :smile: