Which house signifies someone's attorney?

BlueGranite

I have found conflicting information on which house to use to represent someone's attorney in horary questions regarding legal matters. This is for a case where the person is not just consulting an attorney, but has an attorney representing them in a lawsuit. I have encountered 3 different opinions:

(1) The person's attorney is represented by the person's 9th house.
This is suggested by Deborah Houlding and seems to be the most common view:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h9.html

(2) THe person's attorney is represented by the person's 10th house. This is stated by Barbara Dunn in her book HOrary Astrology Re-Examined, on page 469 where she gives an example of a 7th house horary question about a legal matter, she gives 10th house as that of Querent's solicitor.

(3) THe person's attorney is represented by the individual's 2nd house.
For instance, "The Astrology Book" gives the 2nd house assignment: http://bit.ly/1gTSeAK
I believe I also read about using the 2nd house for one's attorney in another resource.

(4) The "lawyer of querent in a court action" is given as represented by the 7th house, by Anthony Louis in his book HOrary Astrology (pg 463) which I think is the most inappropriate assignment of all!! Yet he signifies "attorney" by 9th house (pg 432).

Cap

I'd go with 2nd, I always use Frawley for house meanings.

From Frawley's book:

"It is your closest advisors, like consigliere in The Godfather; the one who whispers advice into your ear. In a duel it is your second; in court it is your lawyer and the witnesses who testify on your behalf. Your lawyer is 2nd only if acting for you in this case that is being asked about now; otherwise lawyers belong in the 9th, as learned people."

dr. farr

From my perspective, I consider anyone who does any work (for pay) for an individual, to be that person's defacto "employee" (or, to use old fashioned terms, "servant")-so, for me, the person's attorney would be signified by the 6th house and its dispositor.

However, the issue of authoritative counseling arises here: which brings into consideration the potential of the 9th house and its dispositor as significator.

I think the querent's relationship with the attorney decides the choice: if the querent regards the attorney as, essentially, a paid "worker" (or a "hired gun"), then the 6th would be the signifying house; however, if the attorney is regarded as someone whose advice is authoritative, as someone whom the querent looks to for guidance and direction, then the 9th house would clearly be the signifying house (and, if the querent regards the attorney as "boss", feels subservient to the attorney, feels dependant upon the attorney, then even the 10th house would be the signifying house in such a situation)

Harold

Back in the 17th century when Lilly et al were writing, the legal system was not as formally structured as it is today. Then, if you were summoned to court, all but the very rich represented themselves. The concept of lawyers representing you in court as a general principle had not yet evolved. In consequence, people used to bring friends along who (possibly) knew a bit more about what was going on than they did, or for moral support, or whatever. Such 'assistants' in court were seen in the same light as seconds in a duel and so were given to the 2nd house.

In the UK, the legal system has since evolved so that lawyers who deal with legal paperwork like mortgages and wills and so on are called 'solicitors' and they are 9th house entities. But lawyers who represent you in court are called 'barristers' and they have a quite separate legal training than solicitors. They are 2nd house entities as they are the equivalent to the 17th century 'assistants' in court. (The origin of the word 'barrister' is unclear, but it may well have the same etymology as 'barista' which has come into common usage today as one who prepares coffee in a coffee bar. But that word comes from the Italian for a waiter, or - if you like - an 'assistant' in a bar who serves drinks in place of the owner of the bar....?)

In the US there is no such clear distinction between lawyers as in the UK, so it would depend on the role the lawyer is taking. If he is standing (or going to stand) on his hind legs on your behalf in a court, that is 2nd house. If he is just writing letters on your behalf, I would give that to the 9th.

Kernowerno

Being completely naive, I instinctively went with 7th Hse ie issues concerning 'justice' scales etc. :andy: So 2nd or 9th seems the general consensus, which I would never have thought or guessed

Culpeper

Premium Member
The 9th house is attorneys in general. The 10th house is the judge. The 7th house is your solicitor or attorney who is advising you. The 2nd house is your barrister or the attorney who represents you in court. The 8th house would be the attorney of the other party.

greybeard

Virtually unanimous disagreement. Sounds like an astrologer's convention.
I have never before heard of one's lawyer standing in the Sixth (Dr. Farr's comment).
Personally, I like that placement.

House assignment should reflect the relationship of the thing to the querent, and this principle extends to the attitude of the querent toward the thing or person. House placement has to do with function as related to the querent. Harold brought us the fine English distinction between the barrister and the solicitor, a matter of function.

Second, horary is a flexible art and house assignment also relflects the mind of the astrrologer. Provided the assignment is rational and reasonable within the mind of the astrologer, it is correct.

In complex court cases where many roles are being played out, it is important that we keep the various players distinct from one another. The Seventh (which I originally learned represents "counselors" such as your physician, psychologist or lawyer) is the house of the Antagonist, the opponent in the action. The Tenth is the judge. The Fourth is the final outcome, or verdict emanating from the Tenth. I take the Eleventh to be the law itself, the "codification" agreed upon by social bodies and the "resource" of the judge in the Tenth. Many cases involve financial awards or penalties that, if seen as "gain or loss" in the pockebook of the querent, fall in the Second.

The various answers already given to this question serve to underscore the fact that astrology is at root a system of thought of man's devising. There is nothing in the sky that inherently places my attorney in one house or another.

Last edited: