The Enneagram and Astrology

Arian Maverick

Being ashamed doesn't fit the 8 profile, AM......We seem to be more like "proud to be ugly".

Good point, EJ. Isn't it interesting how we tend to project the qualities of our our type upon others?

I simply meant to express that no type deserves a bad rap, such as I believe type 8 has acquired. No one should feel reluctant to "confess" his or her type...

Arian Maverick

07.Re

Thanks for reviving this thread Lacellrein. :)

I've just taken the test and I scored equal percentages (78%) between type 1 (perfectionism), 6 (anxiety) and 9 (calmness)!

Talk about a contradiction between type 6 and type 9. :w00t:

Niar Rebmevon

Interesting to see the topic of Enneagram come up here. :)
I have tested in different places at different times over the years, and I always come out as a five, much closer to a four than a six, so I call myself a 5wing4. Unfortunately I have no idea how this connects to my chart. But maybe you can draw some conclusions.

Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.

• Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
  • Basic Desire: To be capable and competent
  • Enneagram Five with a Four-Wing: "The Iconoclast"
From another site--
Their independence and withdrawal into their own minds may lead them into lonely isolation and disassociation from their own feelings.
I know I have some troublesome aspects regarding feelings and how I deal with them.

:moon::square::mercury:, for one, I can see as mirroring the sharp contrast of five and four. Although the logical/rational 5 always trumps the emotional 4 in my results, it's still a close contest most of the time. The problem with 5w4 is that even though we do have this deeply emotional four aspect to us, we have absolutely no clue how to deal with it, so we usually leave it the hell alone.. This, of course, results in irrational phases/emotional outbreaks that occur once we have reached a certain point of repression.

Lesson: Don't repress your feelings. Hooray.
Anyway, this head-heart conflict definitely exists in both profiles as far as I can tell..

Plus on the whole I really lack Water signs (representing emotio), but then there's the big fat :scorpio: that turns it all around.
On the other hand, Air is hardly represented as well, which questions the strong ratio aspect suggested by the Enneagram profile.

If you can connect any other dots, I'd be interested to hear about it.

My Natal Chart

Arian Maverick

I'd like to provide some clarification: You only have one Enneagram type, but this is modified by one of two adjacent types, which modifies the characteristics of the primary Enneagram type.

Also, I recommend that everyone studies the Enneagram type archetypes carefully--do not simply take an online quiz to determine your type. Different Enneagram types can exhibit similar behaviors, but it is the motivation of these behaviors which distinguish one type from another. Type misidentification is extremely common--I'd wager to say more common than Ascendant sign misidentification. Trust me when I say I know about both! :pinched:

EDIT: Although I do not rescind my previous advice, the Enneagram Institute, in my opinion, offers the best Enneagram tests: The Quick Enneagram Sorting Test and Free Enneagram Test: The RHETI Sampler.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Niar, I've examined your natal chart but I am frustrated by my inability to identify your type clearly. I can read through descriptions and locate natal chart indicators that correspond with certain traits, but I am aware that my observations are biased since you have shared your Enneagram type. Nevertheless, I will share these observations.

Immediately, my eye is drawn to your Leo stellium--specifically, retrograde Mercury. I recommend that you read the profile for Epimethean-Retrograde Mercury. Here's an excerpt which closely mirrors the characteristics of Enneagram Type 5, as I understand them:

When in doubt, you’re likely to examine all the issues involved from every perspective. Your want to discover the reason, meaning and purpose behind everything, and you are unlikely to be satisfied with easy, superficial answers.

I believe this trait is magnified by Mercury's tight opposition to Saturn--the orb is within one degree, and Mercury is applying towards this aspect. Saturn is positioned in the third house, a house which often is descriptive of mental processes. Capricorn on the cusp of the third house suggests a cautious intellect, one which explores ideas and expresses thoughts carefully. This is not the type of mind which accepts things at face value. Saturn is closely related to matter, to hard and tangible facts. In my opinion, Saturn in the third house corresponds with this trait:

They do not accept received opinions and doctrines, feeling a strong need to test the truth of most assumptions for themselves.

My thoughts are rather disjointed here, which probably will frustrate you, but I'm trying to convey an intuitive feeling. I hope your wing four may interpret my ramblings:

But rather than engage directly with activities that might bolster their confidence, Fives “take a step back” into their minds where they feel more capable. Their belief is that from the safety of their minds they will eventually figure out how to do things—and one day rejoin the world.

Retrograde Mercury and retrograde Saturn literally take a step back in the zodiac!

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

dr. farr

Thanks for reviving this thread Lacellrein. :)

I've just taken the test and I scored equal percentages (78%) between type 1 (perfectionism), 6 (anxiety) and 9 (calmness)!

Talk about a contradiction between type 6 and type 9. :w00t:

Ah, but looking at your natal chart (in whole sign) I think we can account for this: the perfectionism of your strong Virgo ascendant, doubled as being also in the Manilius Virgo decan, along with your Part of Fortune there as well-super Virgo! And the calmness, Venus also in your 1st house, connected with the great Regulus. The anxiety? Well, that power packed 2nd house with the Sun and several other planets and stars all churning away in it, coupled with the situation of positive versus negative in your MC, with Saturn & Saturn-parallel-Dragon's Tail on one side, and the magnificent Betelgeuze there on the + side, spreading its benificent power via the MC out over the whole chart...

Last edited:

Niar Rebmevon

is that a yes? what are those numbers next to the aspects? lol! i should mention i'm not very good at astro stuff. i call a conjunction (ha i know it now!) a circle with a line thingy most of the time.

actually just reading the 5 reminds me of uranian traits already. the iconoclast i read somewhere when i was researching my uranus singleton.
I'm new to it myself, but I tend to be meticulous. Sorry. :tongue:
The numbers are the orbs.

So, both are very strong as aspects, "magnified" by small orbs: Uranus Conjuct Neptune and Jupiter Trine Uranus.

Niar, I've examined your natal chart but I am frustrated by my inability to identify your type clearly. I can read through descriptions and locate natal chart indicators that correspond with certain traits, but I am aware that my observations are biased since you have shared your Enneagram type. Nevertheless, I will share these observations.

Immediately, my eye is drawn to your Leo stellium--specifically, retrograde Mercury. I recommend that you read the profile for Epimethean-Retrograde Mercury. Here's an excerpt which closely mirrors the characteristics of Enneagram Type 5, as I understand them:

I believe this trait is magnified by Mercury's tight opposition to Saturn--the orb is within one degree, and Mercury is applying towards this aspect. Saturn is positioned in the third house, a house which often is descriptive of mental processes. Capricorn on the cusp of the third house suggests a cautious intellect, one which explores ideas and expresses thoughts carefully. This is not the type of mind which accepts things at face value. Saturn is closely related to matter, to hard and tangible facts. In my opinion, Saturn in the third house corresponds with this trait:

My thoughts are rather disjointed here, which probably will frustrate you, but I'm trying to convey an intuitive feeling. I hope your wing four may interpret my ramblings:

Retrograde Mercury and retrograde Saturn literally take a step back in the zodiac!

Arian Maverick

Thank you, very interesting! I'll have a look at it and get back to you.

Last edited:
I find this topic highly interesting. Arian Maverick introduced this concept to me just a few weeks ago, and I found out that while I had originally thought myself to be a 6, makes sense with all my Capricorn Planets, Moon, Mars, Rising, Neptune, that I would be the loyalist. Saturn is also in the 11th house, interested in hanging on to tried and true structures.

I then rescinded my original thinking on this, when I went ahead and took the Enneagram test, and was a 3: The Achiever, with a wing 4, the Professional.

I attribute this again, to my strong-hold of Capricorn Planets, almost a first house stellium if you ask me. And then my Cancer Sun in opposition to this Placement in the 7th, encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone and into the peopled reality.

NN in Aries, 3rd house, the born communicator and destined to pursue and personify, pioneer, new ways of thinking, speaking, and illustrating communal connections.

Pluto in the tenth house in Scorpio Conjunct MC, must mean something by way of power and achievement, very oriented, focused in this direction.

Neptune on the ASC, allows me to feel my way through and connect to what matters, blurring the outlines of standards norms of right and wrong to heart of the problem, the real truth.

I'd be interested to compare charts and notes with any other 3s out there.

Mod.

nuthatch

This fascinates me. I was into the Enneagram well before I was into astrology, and while I don't think it's a perfect system by any means (doesn't allow that very different things can motivate the same person equally--everyone has pretty much one currency, as Dr. Phil would say), it does provide a good way into understanding some basic differences of communication style and motivation.

And there's stuff I don't really agree with. For example, I'm undoubtedly a 6--no question. I'm always looking for someone to put my faith in, but always hating myself for doing that at the same time--even though I feel that my unwavering loyalty and love are also my best qualities. When someone has my loyalty, I'm "down to ride 'til the very end", like the Jay-Z song says, and I stick around long after most people have abandoned ship. And I'm always terrified of being "destroyed" by others. However, some sites say that sixes always lack confidence--this one, for example, makes sixes seem like a quivering Piglet-like ball of goop, and that is just so not true. Even a non-"counterphobic" Six who knows her place will know also that part of knowing her place is having her domains of authority. Plus a Six has sussed out the situation enough to know that appearing "visibly insecure" and "awkward" will draw unwanted and unsafe attention to her, so often s/he, whether phobic or counterphobic, adopts an ice-princess/tough-as-nails persona. It's thin as wrapping paper, but it's like the eyespots of a moth--meant not to dominate, but simply to scare potential threats away and keep what's hers safe. Someone else wrote about the childlike sweetness and gentleness beneath the heavy defenses of the Six. And I feel like that fits for me too. I hope! I know a guy (Virgo sun/Aqu asc/Leo moon) who I always thought was a 1; the more I got to know him I found he was actually a very healthy and well-integrated Six. But he's got the "eyespots" too.

ANYWAY, that quibble aside--
Interesting that the 6 is the "Martial" type. This fits for me (Aries moon). Although it seems like several of the Enneagram types span several signs. I guess it makes sense that there's no one-to-one correspondence.
I also think that the fact that all my personal planets except the Moon are in houses 8 and 7 influences me to be a 6 as well--since those are houses related to partnership and other peoples' junk :)
And I've got my Mars-Pluto Square, which makes me, erm, feisty :/
And I'm Capricorn Rising, which certainly helps with the need for rules and structures and the ice-queen veneer.

I'm actually really curious to know which types other Leo Suns are. I sure don't buy the Leos-are-always-power-hungry-performers thing. Of the Leo suns I know...my mom's a 1; then I think I know another 6, an 8, and a 4. Of course mistyping happens a lot. I do however buy the idea that Leos tend to want to look cool and live out a cinematic fantasy, so whatever their type it's gotta be something where they can look awesome, whether it's as Awesomely Talented Performer or Awesomely Capable Sidekick or Awesomely Big-Thinking Reformer.

moonwillow

Thanks for the various sites on enneagram, I took the test on similar minds and I scored 5. Pretty accurate description.
I do live in my head.

I would not know how it would relate to my chart.

sun - cancer
moon-cap
mer in leo
venus /mars conj in gemini in the eighth house
asc scorpio 18 deg. I am sure this does not say a whole lot

thanks again

Northstar10

For some reason, somebody deleted my post containing an essay-long description of my own interpretation for how the enneagram matches with astrology, should the two worlds ever collide, so I'll just post a shorter version of it here instead, and hope that nobody doinks it. Like with tarot and the tree of life, astrology does potentially blend with the enneagram, and I was amazed to see how it could align with the enneagram myself, after I got to thinking about it. Here's my own interpretation of how the nine planets could align with the nine E-types (in short):

E-1= Saturn
The ambition towards perfection of mastery. Discipline, hardship, wisdom.
E-2= The Moon
The mothering instinct and the reflections of pride. Emotion, nurture, neediness.
E-3= Mercury
The charisma of communication. Social image, expediency, trickery.
E-4= Venus
The beauty and the envy. Inspiration, romanticism, jealousy.
E-5= Uranus
The dawning of the mind. Genius, eccentricity, madness.
E-6= Mars
The loyal warrior. Courage, chivalry, fear.
E-7= Jupiter
The indulgence of fortune. Expansiveness, joviality, debauchery.
E-8= Pluto
The devilry and the innocence. Power, lust, anger.
E-9= Neptune
The spiritual sea of dreams and drowse. Peace, meditation, self-negation.

I've seen the enneagram interpreted in other ways through astrology too.

Last edited:

opiumchild

enneagram 4 with a 5 wing

Sun in Leo (im a tad dramatic), Libra ASC (with venus in the 9th), Moon in Aries in the 7th
Basically I idealize romance and love, and my emotions are quick to happen (and there are a lot of them too :p)

Also Neptune conjunct my IC (opp MC, square ASC/DSC) so there's to me feeling "misunderstood" :p