Random presidential thoughts

Moondancing

Premium Member
Isn't impeachment by Congress included in the Constitution? Assuming that's what prompted your post.

Yes, but as Pelosi says, there should be bipartisan support and the evidence should be overwhelming. Also the same rule should apply to someone with whom we agree disagree politically. Where is Biden's impeachment hearing?

But I was talking about Dems desire to take away our guns, throw out the Electoral College, have lower judges overrule the president of the United States, etc.

david starling

Yes, but as Pelosi says, there should be bipartisan support and the evidence should be overwhelming. Also the same rule should apply to someone with whom we agree disagree politically. Where is Biden's impeachment hearing?

But I was talking about Dems desire to take away our guns, throw out the Electoral College, have lower judges overrule the president of the United States, etc.

The Electoral College was created to preserve the institution of Slavery. Most Dems are against assault rifles, but not legal gun ownership for defensive purposes. The President isn't a king, and is subject to the rule of law.
The impeachment of Bill Clinton was almost entirely along Party-lines.
They can't impeach someone who's not in office. They'll have to wait until he's elected President.

Moondancing

Premium Member
The Electoral College was created to preserve the institution of Slavery.

That's your opinion.

Most Dems are against assault rifles, but not legal gun ownership for defensive purposes.

Yeah, right. You guys don't stop. England bans knives! Go look for videos of AK47 rifles and you will see they are just dressed up rifles with no more power than a non-dressed up rifle. "When the human condition resists perfection through legislation, the answer always seems to be more and stupider laws."

The President isn't a king, and is subject to the rule of law.

Then please show us the law he broke forcing lower court judges to override his authority? :whistling:

The impeachment of Bill Clinton was almost entirely along Party-lines.

Impeachment inquiry was bipartisan. It gave the minority some rights to call witnesses and to issue subpoenas.

They can't impeach someone who's not in office. They'll have to wait until he's elected President.

Yes, they can to prevent someone from holding office in the future.

david starling

That's your opinion.

Yeah, right. You guys don't stop. England bans knives! Go look for videos of AK47 rifles and you will see they are just dressed up rifles with no more power than a non-dressed up rifle. "When the human condition resists perfection through legislation, the answer always seems to be more and stupider laws."

Then please show us the law he broke forcing lower court judges to override his authority? :whistling:

Impeachment inquiry was bipartisan. It gave the minority some rights to call witnesses and to issue subpoenas.

Yes, they can to prevent someone from holding office in the future.

Just look up the history of how the Electoral College was created. It's not just my "opinion". Never heard of that last one. Where did you see it?

Moondancing

Premium Member
Just look up the history of how the Electoral College was created. It's not just my "opinion". Never heard of that last one. Where did you see it?

The basis of this idea is that some of the founders were slave holders and therefore the Constitution and the election process are a product of slavery. This completely lacks understanding what our nation was working to build. Yes there was slavery and compromises were made but to hold the view it permeated every aspect of our building this country and needs to be discarded is reckless thinking, imo.

In considering how a president would be elected, the small states, whether they had slaves or not, were worried about a simple popular vote. In those days what the states held above all else was their sovereignty and they feared large states would outvote them time and again. "The Electoral College was a way to balance power between large and small states in America's new experiment in self-governance." In my humble opinion, that makes more sense to me than fearing slaves. To me it's has stood the test of time.

We never heard of the impeachment of people out of office because I don't know that it has ever been considered and I'm sure it would be debated virgorously. But, William Murphy, professor of American History at the State University of New York, stated that former officials like Biden may also be impeached after they leave office. Also Harvard Law School Professor Cass R. Sunstein, a prominent Democrat who served in the Obama White House and wrote Impeachment: A Citizen’s Guide (2017). Republicans would never consider such action.