Pars Fortuna

dreamtimez

I have my Pars Fortuna in the 12th house. It conjoins my Sun and Mars, both in 12th house (Virgo). Is this something bad ? :crying:

Lithuel

I have my Pars Fortuna in the 12th house. It conjoins my Sun and Mars, both in 12th house (Virgo). Is this something bad ? :crying:

Not at all :wink: Your Part of Fortune conjuncting your Sun and Mars means it's probably a lot easier for you to be lucky than the average person.

You'll probably get your luck through 12th house issues, but since your Sun is in the 12th house issues, you probably don't need to go out of your way to make "luck" appear.

piercethevale

As to the post by Lithuel: it's a common mis-conception to associate this Part with luck. It isn't really luck per se but rather your dharma [your path] in this life. This Part is how you may best accomplish your Karmic duty...how you will be most fortunate in accomplishing it. Thus somehow, the word/concept "Fortunate" has been mis-understood and mis-interpreted into the word/concept "Fortune"...which has caused people to mistake it to mean material wealth.
It being conj. with the Sun is an auspicious sign by most astrologers estimation...I've still [after some 27 years of study] not seen enough of these conjs. to say either this is more or less true.
I do know that if it is conj. one of the points of the chart axis it is a very important sign to take heed of as it adds to the analysis of the basic spiritual blueprint of WHO you are and WHAT you are to become and HOW and WHY you are to do so.
Also, all Parts can be interpreted through the Sabian Symbol found at the degree the Part is conj with.
There is a Part called the Part of Luck. I've not worked with the Part so I can't verify that it is indeed the Part of Luck...[of course it is a Part of something or other] the formula for that is Asc. + Moon - Jupiter.
Lithuel is correct, in that, if it is exactly conj. the Sun then it will come easier as it is part of your basic make-up [Sun = Ego] and as you naturally express this principal/cosmic law, which is symbolized by the Sabian Symbol found there, and thus don't have to make an added awareness and effort to implement it. The same goes for Mars and its attributes.
And to Lithuel, forgive me if I mis-interpreted your intent...but I felt this needed some clarification. ptv

Last edited:

Lithuel

Piercethevale's comments were very informative. I guess I'd followed the common misconception :whistling: Thank you for informing me!

piercethevale

Piercethevale's comments were very informative. I guess I'd followed the common misconception :whistling: Thank you for informing me!

Cool.:wink:
I should add I haven't done enough study of House placement of Parts [other than the cusps of the 1st, 4th , 7th and 10th Houses, i.e. the chart axis.] to give any info on what the underlying effects might be or if there be any affect at all from the energies of a particular House.
It wasn't until 2003 that I became aware of the Sabian influences on Parts and only since then have I been giving serious investigation and study to the Arabic Parts...I am in the process of writing a book on the subject of Arabic Parts [and some Parts that are said to be other than Arabic...{Parts are Parts...all the same to me.}] through Sabian Symbolic interpretation in conjunction with Lynda Hill...but I've yet to really get down to it...I'm still a bit scattered due to the loss of my mother in January and have been slow to rebound.

Last edited:

dreamtimez

Thanks a lot :happy:

Even I had the common conception that Pars Fotuna=Luck. "This Part is how you may best accomplish your Karmic duty" ... makes it easier to accept. With a loaded 12th Karma is not a new concept to me ... in a way its like God to me. I have seen it operating in the lives of friends and family.

Anyway, plenty to learn about this now ! Thanks, once again.

POF
http://www.astrotherapy.eu/ParsFortunae.htm
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5210.html

“However, in the case of both significations one must keep in mind that no one indication in the chart, not even the Part of Fortune, can be taken by itself as a total indicator of any area of life. For health one must also look at the Ascendant, its ruler, the Moon and its ruler. Also the sixth and eighth houses as indicators of illness and death respectively have strong indications for health. For material prosperity one should also look at the second house, the tenth house, and their rulers.”
http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_fortune_e.htm

“The fortune indicated by this part is not necessarily materialistic or even tangible, though it can be. It depends on the sign and house location of the Part of Fortune. The benefit can be on the physical, intellectual, emotional, and/or spiritual plane of experience. In all cases it is through the cultivation and expression of this point that one will experience harmony and a sense of well-being.”
http://www.astroresources.com/fortune.htm

“The Part of Fortune represents worldly success, and is associated with the physical body and health as well. It can be indicative of the career or vocation. Worldly success and prosperity are associated with the Part of Fortune, and both its sign and house placement suggests innate abilities and talents--areas of life and qualities that are expressed naturally.”
http://www.cafeastrology.com/partoffortune.html
just found a site for calculating this and many more Parts or Lots --
http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/arabicparts/index.php

"Some formulas listed here have both an AM and PM version. The PM version is a reverse of the AM version and when indicated, persons born in the daytime (Sun in 7th - 12th houses) should use the AM formula while persons born in the evening (Sun in 1st - 6th houses) should use the PM formula. Sometimes it's best to try both formulas."
Check the placement of the Sun in the chart, it must be sensibly placed relative to the horizon for the given time of day. For a day birth, the Sun must be above the horizon.

From astro.com explanations on POF
We use different formulae for Pars Fortunae for a day birth than for a night birth. You can change this rule with an option in the extended chart selection.
The day formula is: ASC + Moon - Sun
The night formula: ASC + Sun - Moon
Astrologers differ in their views about which formula to use for Pars Fortunae.
If you're interested in in-depth information, please read the article "The Lot or Part of Fortune" by Robert Hand in our "Understanding Astrology" section.

piercethevale

It should be mentioned, that there are two or three 'camps' of thought on the Am/Pm issue. I belong to those that believe only the so called day formula is the correct one for the Part of Fortune.
Also there have been some recent revelations/discoveries as to support a 'theory or belief', of the 'school' of Astrological beliefs and practices known as 'Esoteric Astrology' that is associated with the Theosophists, that being there is both an 'Evolutionary' and an "Involutionary' direction to proceeding through the Signs/degrees/Sabian Symbols of the Zodiac. What is the 'Evolutionary' is what has been extolled by the 'Esoterics' and is in reverse order to what all the rest [that, I know of...anyways.] of the Astrological schools are using.
I am presently working with a theory of mine that all Parts that call for a reversal of Parts formulae depending upon day or night really are only to be switched according to which 'cycle' one is applying them to and analyzing.
I've been blessed to have been introduced to and have had the opportunity to utilize the gifts of a top notch, clairvoyant, with a first rate reputation for her work, since 2003. I have, on a couple/few occasions, asked her to look into questions on Astrological questions/dilemmas . I did, in fact, ask her which of the two opinions, if either, was correct for the Part of Fortune. She said the 'day formula' is the only one to use for the Part of Fortune regardless of time of day.
The reverse formula is the Part of Spirit. Thus, so far from what I've been able to gather is that, what you find for the Sabian Symbol for the degree of the Zodiac the Part of Fortune is found in is symbolically representative of what you must be conscious of and be consciously applying to your life.
The Part of Spirit [sometimes called Part of Soul] is little used by Astrologers. I would say it is symbolically what one has to be aware of and apply to themselves as to achieving some measure of 'Spiritual' advancement.
Maybe my own situation can be a guide to you. My own Part of Soul is at 09* Aquarius 22' which has the Sabian Symbol of...[From Rudhyars' book on the Sabian Symbols]
"(AQUARIUS 10°): A MAN WHO HAD FOR A TIME BECOME THE EMBODIMENT OF A POPULAR IDEAL IS MADE TO REALIZE THAT AS A PERSON HE IS NOT THIS IDEAL.

KEYNOTE: The need to deal with human beings as persons rather than as screens upon which one projects one's dream and ideal.

Here we have a final statement on the relationship between mental-spiritual vision and living reality, between persons and the ideal they appear to incarnate..... ..... brings to our attention an issue that is basic and may confront us in various forms. Person versus archetype. This can mean a critical need for SELF-REVALUATION."

...it was in 2003 that at 50 years old my entire life was was turned upside down, over and around in so many ways that I just about struck dumb...kinda like catatonic from shell shock. In retrospect, I see it as a necessary cleansing/removal of past beliefs, attitudes and such. At that time the same aforementioned clairvoyant was introduced to me to hopefully be of some source of answer or understanding of situations , which she was. She also told me that I was about to become a writer and would be doing a lot of informative writing in that I'd be helping people to improve their lives...etc.
Well, I was a college drop out who took to construction trades [a Union trained Journey painter] and had just been badly injured at work [3 herniated discs] and got raped in the Workers Compensation trial/settlement [long story involving local corruption and dishonest lawyers.]. I'd been a half -hearted practitioner of yoga with a interest in Theology [comparative religions] of no achievements of any meritable mention. All in all just another John Doe with no where to go and going no where. So, I figured this clairvoyant was one of those that tries to tell you something wonderful is going to occur in your life to get you signed up for a few more readings ...meaning, she was just a scam out for the $$$s.
It turns out she's been right as to the essentials of what she predicted and where it would lead. From subsequent readings from her, [and from another highly reputable clairvoyant who told me the same thing], I was made to realize whom I had been in 3 past lives and that I was incarnate here again because of the work I was involved in [twice as a interpreter of the stars] and whom and what I had been in association with and in service too. That these associations were with and in service to beings and orders of spiritual knowledge and practices is exactly what I must now keep in mind and employ in my life as it does concern my soul...in fact it was told to me that this is at least the 6th incarnation I've been given in such a cause.
Whether or not you believe in re-incarnation and or anything else I just told you concerning myself...[I swear it to be the Truth at least as far as I know and can understand it ] the example I just gave of myself , my Part of Spirit and the accompanying story is a good base of understanding the difference.
If you are open to the idea, for added study and understanding you can also check what I and a number of others believe to have been the Part of Fortune for Jesus/Yeshua which is the 19th* of Pisces, the Sabian Symbol for which is [From Rudhyars' book]:

"(PISCES 19°): A MASTER INSTRUCTING HIS DISCIPLE.
KEYNOTE: The transfer of power and knowledge which keeps the original spiritual and creative Impulse of the cycle active and undeviated.

... and what we believe to have been the Part of Spirit for Jesus/Yeshua... which is the 14th* of Aries, the Sabian Symbol for which is: [again, from Rudhyars' book]

"(ARIES 14°): A SERPENT COILING NEAR A MAN AND A WOMAN.

KEYNOTE: Identification in bipolar relationship with the impersonal rhythm of natural energy.

The symbol for Phase 4 pictures a man and a woman in love walking together. At this new and more mentally stimulated level of experience and consciousness, a third factor appears: the serpent, whose coiling represents the spiral-like process of evolution - not merely "sex" according to the maker of cathartic symbols, Sigmund Freud. We can understand this "triangular" image — man, woman and the serpent — if we relate it to the preceding one in the series, the unexploded bomb of the anarchist or activist. The urge to blow up some structure which somehow has become in the activist's mind a symbol of the Establishment — the ruling elite — is usually the protest of an alienated and often immature mind that refuses relationship, because in the relationship he would occupy a subservient position. In this symbol, the serpent represents the acceptance of relationship by the two polarized human beings.

There must be a polarization before there can be fulfillment. The tragedy of so many contemporary lives is that, having become sharply individualized, the men and women cannot find their truly matching polar-opposite. Because they are not fulfilled at the root level of human emotions and vitalistic forces, they pass their lives seeking the ideal complement, often glamorized as the "soul mate." This search can find its expression at several levels. At the mystical level we have the examples of the "spiritual marriage" of Saint Francis of Assisi and Santa Clara, or recently of Sri Aurobindo and Mother Mira.

The Adam and Eve story (in Hebrew, Ish and Isha - much more significant names!) refers to this principle of polarization, although the story has been turned upside down by priestly intellects to serve their purposes. Adam and Eve accepted the Presence, not of the Tempter, but of the Individualizer, who sought to have them born out of the womb of unconscious passivity to Nature's God. But the result of the experience frightened them. They "hid"; they failed in the great test of individualization, and in this sense the archetype of that failure is deeply imbedded in man's generic unconscious. It is repeated time after time.

Modern "individuals" are confronted with another test, but they do not understand its meaning. It is the test of polarized conscious participation in the evolutionary process - a polarization that could dissolve alienation, isolation and egocentricity. In a sense at least, this was the old Tantric concept in India; but today many young people accept the concept only superficially and miss its real essence. They cannot understand the meaning of entering into the serpent, i.e. of developing eonic consciousness and that transpersonal living which once was characterized by the words: Not I live, but Christ lives me - Christ, whose symbolic number in Gnosticism is 888.

At this fourth stage of the third five-fold sequence, we are confronted with an image suggesting the transpersonal way to the "cosmification" of desire and the conscious acceptance of polarization as the solution of the problems generated by individualization. But this need not mean what is currently meant by "sex" and the glorification of the orgasm. It implies rather the RITUALIZATION OF RELATIONSHIP."

Last edited:

Lithuel

Wow, Piercethevale, that was really interesting to read. Thank you for sharing your personal story, as well as your knowledge. I'm going to go read the Sabian Symbol for my Parts of Fortune and Spirit now :joyful:

dreamtimez

This is a totally new concept ... thanks for the information and the your own story. Can we check the Sabian symbols at astro.com ?

sunshine1988

Ive been trying to understand how the arabic parts work, especially their aspects. I have mine in aquarius trine my mercury and MC but my question is being that they arent actual entities like the planets do the aspects apply to them and have any effect? There still isnt much information out on them. And I was born at 12: 15 in the afternoon is that the cutoff for the day formula? or should I use night?

Last edited:

piercethevale

Ive been trying to understand how the arabic parts work, especially their aspects. I have mine in aquarius trine my mercury and MC but my question is being that they arent actual entities like the planets do the aspects apply to them and have any effect? There still isnt much information out on them. And I was born at 12: 15 in the afternoon is that the cutoff for the day formula? or should I use night?
Like I said, I only recommend the Day formula period. But in answer to your question; it depends upon Sunset...and as a matter of fact I was born right on Sunset...[and HOW would one resolve that?] ...It would be best to just remember to only use the Day formula...unless you ascribe to the other belief.
My experience, so far to date, is that only conjunctions and most probably oppositions to the Part actually have any affect on it...and a lot of Astrologers insist that one of the stellar [Planet/Luminary/Moons' Nodes] factors, that is in the formula, be the conjuncting body. I'm not convinced of that ...as I did notice a great deal of influence and activity to my Part of Intelligence [24* Sag, 18'] when Pluto conj. it just a couple/few years ago...but Mars is part of that Formula and Pluto is the 'Higher Octave' of Mars...and also when Pluto conj. my Part of Transformation [28* Sag. 24'] but again, Mars is a part of that formula as well.
I'd like to add that Leo 25* is my Part of Fortune [from Rudhyars' book]...

" A LARGE CAMEL IS SEEN CROSSING A VAST AND FORBIDDING DESERT.

KEYNOTE: Self-sufficiency in the face of a long and exhausting adventure.

The camel here represents a living organism that is able to sustain itself independently of its environment at the start of a trying journey. (The original formulation of the symbol did not refer to "a man on camel back.") The organism carries within itself what is absolutely needed for survival. At the deeper human level 'of consciousness it is easy to see the value of self-reliance and self-sufficiency as one enters the occult Path leading to a more dynamic and more inclusive realm of existence.

The camel carries water within its body, and it is said that the dromedary is able to utilize the matter stored in its large protuberance as food. The suggestion here is that in order to be released from bondage to the "old world" we should be completely self-contained emotionally; having absorbed the mental food which this old culture has given us, we are ready to face "the desert," nothingness, Sunya . . . until we reach the "new world." We need TOTAL INDEPENDENCE from our surroundings and utter SELF-RELIANCE.

...and it is also exactly conj. my M.C. [the "WHY" of the "Evolutionary' cycle of chart axis interpretation, or the "HOW" of the "Involutionary" cycle of interpretation] thus explaining why I figure these things out for myself!:wink:

Last edited:

Miss Kitten

Thank you for the insight on the Part of Fortune, Piercethevale.

I've never understand my PF, which is in the 12th in Scorpio and I have never been able to really grasp the 12th house, but after reading your post I looked at the Sabian symbol for it. The Sabian symbol didn't make much sense (a military band marches noisily) but the symbol of the ASC it conjuncts tightly (half a degree) makes more sense.

PHASE 238 (SCORPIO 28°): THE KING OF THE FAIRIES APPROACHING HIS DOMAIN.
KEYNOTE: The capacity in man to recognize and to pay homage to an integrating Principle at the core of all existence.
This rather peculiar picture tells us perhaps a good deal about the limitations of the mind of the clairvoyant who saw it, though it can be related to the symbolism of the various creatures of a spirit world mentioned in some alchemical and Rosicrucian books. What seems to be implied is that beyond both outer nature and the realm of the proud ego, a spiritual world exists to which the intuitive consciousness of man can pay allegiance. In that world, all manifested entities are seen as multiple aspects of a central Power and Consciousness.

There have been psychic and mystical events in my life that reflect this but they are too private to talk about on this board.

piercethevale

Thank you for the insight on the Part of Fortune, Piercethevale.

I've never understand my PF, which is in the 12th in Scorpio and I have never been able to really grasp the 12th house, but after reading your post I looked at the Sabian symbol for it. The Sabian symbol didn't make much sense (a military band marches noisily) but the symbol of the ASC it conjuncts tightly (half a degree) makes more sense.

There have been psychic and mystical events in my life that reflect this but they are too private to talk about on this board.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

That degree and symbol of the Asc. is very significant in life...the 16th of Aries jibes with it [My Venus] and the 28th of Scorpio is a current progressed composite of my M.C. and another person that I'm having fun with.
The Hill at Glastonbury is the alleged Domain of the Faerie King...I do a lot of research oriented towards Glastonbury...[I'm purported to be the re-incarnation of Parsival]...I had 'Sprites or Faeries' visit me on numerous occasions in 2007...got photos of them on two different nights...yes, i know about such things myself...you're not alone!:cool:

nuthatch

I'm fairly new to all of this, so I'm still a bit confused about what interacts with the Part of Fortune. Apologies if you've explained it elsewhere. I tried my hardest to find it!

My Part of Fortune is in Virgo in the 8th house (which thrilled me to learn, because I've always wanted more Virgo characteristics...to be honest, it pains me a little that I could so easily have had Virgo personal planets, but I have none :) ) But Virgo isn't conjunct any of my major planets. I do have significant 8th house planets, though. So what potential does my Part of Fortune have for me, then? Thanks so much:) My chart's attached if anyone needs to look at it to answer this.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_adelaide_hp.68927.7315.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_adelaide_hp.68927.7315.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 16