Stop romanticizing post Soviet countries

Bunraku

They are poor and depressed.

Tiktok always makes videos wishing they were communist with this song overlays https://youtu.be/HR5zpFs7YpY :lol:

petosiris

Banned
Although they are poor, it is cheap to live and easy to chill. The US has higher rates of depression than Eastern Europe, though I suppose it may have to do with prevalence of diagnosis?

Almost no one here romanticizes communism, except maybe a portion of 70+ year olds, and a tiny portion of 50+ year olds. I would say the majority doesn't see it as totally evil either, and that probably has to do with the corrupted transition we have to a free market economy, so not without obvious reasoning (rather than romanticism).

conspiracy theorist

The people within the nation tend to have a more realistic view of things, I'm wagering that it's all foreigners who are perpetuating these videos.

It's the same here. The less attentive outsiders think we play reggae, drink rum and chill on sandy beaches all day everyday. Oh, and we also run really fast. Fact is, 3 times the local population have migrated to other countries, and only visit for vacations.

Stereotyping. What can you do?

CapAquaPis

East Germany doesn't romanticize communism, they romanticize a past identity different from their Western brethren, and a sense of "Ostlagie" by "Ossies" is missing things that disappeared after reunification. For a period of around 40 years (1949-90), much of the population was alive to experienced a different way of life, part of Germany's history is cultural regional differences like the majority conservative Catholicism in Bavaria, for example, which is compatible with Austria (an ethnic but not nationally German country) vs the majority Protestant "Low" Germany (Bavaria in the "High" or topographic Alpine region).

And the subject of communism, like the Third Reich, their non-defeat defeat in WW1 and mixed feelings about social democracy, is kinda taboo except when you're in a history museum to learn about differing political ideologies, both centrist and extreme, and the important lesson of having a civilian-ruled moderated democratic system with a right amount of capitalism. But Germans are more open about political discussion than I've noticed in the US when liberals and conservatives try not to engage in politics, religion, morality and ethics issues ... esp. about ecology, ethno-racism, social class disparity and secularism.

CapAquaPis

Gotta love millennials

I actually jam to that Eastern European techno music. Got a couple of that guy's albums downloaded

Although not Eastern Europe, East Germany was part of the Soviet bloc. DDR Techno Remix (Der Deutsche Demokratik Republick or German Democratic Republic). But remember, West Berlin surrounded by the Berlin Wall, 1961-89 is not part of the former East, a geopolitical island for a brief period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlUVzw7QVQ