Mars in the Fourth House, Deep Anger

Caro

Where are you going to go? What are you going to do? This is who you are when no one is looking. This is who you are when all is said and done - your core self - the 4th house - the soul's final resting place.

I have studied the 4th house because I have alot of firy energy there. Some of the best info I have seen was by the astrologer Dane Rudymar (spelling?). It is soul based and reincarnation based, too if I remember right. He has many books I can't remember which ones.

So for me the 4th house door is 20 Leo, uranus at 23 leo, mars and north node at 29 leo, and pluto at 5 virgo. Uranus is the south node ruler (past life development) conjunct the north node staring at aquarius in the 10th (midheaven). Mars energy with the north node feels good to me. Like someone said I grew up loving sports and competing (mars) but I preferred this in a team environment (uranus/aquarius). The depositor of all of this energy is the sun conj mercury in cancer in 1st house (Gem rising). To say that I have a lot of raw energy directed outwardly (a little) but mostly internally (pluto) and beyond the personal (uranus/aquarius) would be an understatement. It took me until my early 30's to manage riding this wild steed (energy).

According to Rudymar the 4th is the house of God in that it is the lowest point and all energies are settled there - ie it is who you are on a soul level - your instinctual self, the base of the soul's resting place. All of the dream energy of the chart flailing about in the sky (other higher houses in the chart) showing their energy expression - but the roots of all of this must originate from the 4th because it is the instinctual foundations, the soul itself - no where else to go, and it must all eventually return there. The 12th the 8th house, no, when your soul departs from the body it goes out via the 4th house (at least for most people).

With mars there one would gather that your instinctual self is assertive and aggressive - so outwardly it could be your home environment (or how you on the inside interpreted your home environment). But mars is also initiative and raw energy - the soldier in our birth charts waiting to carry out orders with force if needed - the 4th represents the kundalini energy at the base of the spine and mars there means a developed soul who is learning about this. Or an undeveloped soul who will learn about strife outwardly in there homes/within themselves.

Your choice - use this raw energy for your good else suffer with it through the bad. For me, the beast (mars) has been put to work and is servant to the outer planets around it (uranus and pluto)/aqua up top and in a yod directed up to saturn in cap and jup in aquarius (aqua again). I'm glad to have it there stirring up energy for me. And it is like hot molten lava seething in the bowels/roots (as someone else came up with).

God can be had in the 4th house.

Thanks for posting the information on that astrologer - I will look into that.

serafin5

I really love this thread 'cause i have an extremely active 4thH and have never truely understood what the 4thH represents. MirthyQ - I thought your post was beautiful; thank you!

My sun, mars, saturn, IC, & chiron are all in the 4thH. They are all conj except chiron. My mars sq.s my moon, opp.s my mc and sometimes some astrl. say uranus as well; it tr.s my MC.

I have had a pretty rough life & childhood with intermittant violence. Till fairly recent i have had issues with my temper. Generally, if i am unable to confront these anger causing issues then the anger is turned inward and i am self destructive. I also have an unhealthy reward system. I am so much better in some ways, more wise, now that Im older but I need prayer.

Love the thread!
Serafin5:joyful:

Kuntuzangmo

With mars there one would gather that your instinctual self is assertive and aggressive - so outwardly it could be your home environment (or how you on the inside interpreted your home environment). But mars is also initiative and raw energy - the soldier in our birth charts waiting to carry out orders with force if needed - the 4th represents the kundalini energy at the base of the spine and mars there means a developed soul who is learning about this. Or an undeveloped soul who will learn about strife outwardly in there homes/within themselves.

I like your interpretation, Mirthy, as a yogini with mars conj. merc in the 4th house scorpio. I'm curious where/how you came to the kundalini interpretation?

Thx.
kz

Caro

http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_dgfourthhouse_e.htm

this is an interesting interpretation of 4th house in the article above.
my sun in aqua is their like the author of this article and I to do not resonate with you with be good with real estate etc etc (I have never owned my own home)and your family is important to you(while they are - I have more than many wished I was in mongolia _ I am nothing like my family!)

Abby

Great topic! I have a very active 4th house, with Mars conjuct the IC, and saturn/uranus conjunct all in Sagittarius, and Neptune in Capricorn as well.
My home growing up was quite intense and unusual. My father was rarely around. I had a very difficult relationship with my mother, who was mentally ill, constantly angry, and very strict in her unusual religious beliefs. I don't usually show my real anger, only to my hubby, and it bugs me to no end that I have her aggression, and I am trying to channel it in a more productive way....

I moved out the second I could, and after a few years, I can actually somewhat get along with my mother.

And interestingly - all of them get really angry if they are hungry.
This is soooooooooooo true!!! When I am hungry, beware!!!! :biggrin:

Chirongirl

Since I had my natal chart rectified several months ago, I've contemplated the deeper meaning of Mars in the fourth house--or more specifically, Mars in the third house conjunct the I.C. The interpretations I've read online often depict scenes domestic strife, even violence in the early home life. The relative harmony of my family life has made me question the accuracy of the rectified natal chart, although its other components describe my life beautifully.

Through introspection, intuition, and additional research, I believe I have identified subtler manifestations of this planetary placement. I regard the fourth house as a repository of feelings and emotions which develop throughout our formative years; the signs and planets contained therein may represent deeply-ingrained patterns of "learned behavior" which guide our actions.

Although astrologers often designate the twelfth house as the realm of the unconscious mind, this interpretation perplexes me because planets in this sector of a natal chart are above the horizon; they easily are visible, whereas planets in the fourth house are not. According to the Astrology Dictionary, the Imum Coeli, or I.C., is the "lowest point in the sky (nadir) that a planet can travel relative to the horizon." Indeed, Imum Coel translates as "bottom of the heavens." In most house systems, the I.C. forms the cusp of the fourth house.

I believe Mars' position in the fourth house indicates that one's emotional foundation is based upon anger, although the individual may not entirely be cognizant of this influence. This foundation may originate as feelings of hostility or rage towards one's parents, which may or may not result from physical manifestations of parental violence or neglect. Instead, a child falsely may perceive its parents do not love them, or that they did not provide them with something necessary for the child's psychological or emotional development.

Please note that I approach this interpretation from the perspective of an Enneagram Type Four; it was the description of the tendencies and psychological motivations of this type which inspired me to write this post, for I connected several attributes of "parental orientation" with Mars' position in the fourth house. Obviously, other Enneagram types have this astrological placement, so their experiences may be different.

If you are not familiar with the Enneagram, please do not be deterred from contributing to this thread. I wish to learn about others' experiences with this Mars placement--particularly the subtle manifestations which I have described.

Arian Maverick

I know a family, interestingly, all the siblings have Mars in 4th! Their mother is Aries moon, conjunct Mars and Mercury. I don't know about their father, but their house is always a battle field! In my understanding they gifhting, even physical violance is a kind of recreation for them!

mirthyQ

A couple of interesting celebs with major 4th houses (sun and moon) are Marlon Brando and Annie Lennox. If I remember right, Brando has the sun and moon in Aires in 4th with jupiter on a sag ascendant. This combo makes him seem like everything he does and says is profound, as though he is speaking from some deep place (the 4th?).

Annie Lennox is a sun and moon capricorn in the 4th with venus in scorpio (probably in 2nd?). Talk about powerful emotional energy - "sweet dreams are made of these......"

Last edited:

Kukka

I have mars Capricorn conjunt IC, i'm not an angry person at all.

However, my home environment was a challenge when child. Ill-equippd parents for parenting, one parent repressing others resulting me either 1. lowering my-selfworth / 2. rebelling against to remain my self-worth. The second option is of course the favorable one, but still the abuse of wrong used position used against a person causes distress.

The emotional/psychological basis of me is a main focus of my chart. I have calm, assertive energy.

B

bigblack

Hi all

I have a mar/sun conjunction in the fouth in pisces. I also have neptune in the twelve (relevant for what I am about to write). I was brought up for the second part of my childhood in a childrens home (this is where the neptune is relavent) neptune in twelve ruling fourth institution/home. I cannot say there was a big male influence at home for the first part of my childhood as my father was mostly away. I guess this was due to my mother losing it. It was my mother who had the outbursts of anger. My father appeared and disappeared - I would guess testing the water until he finally disappeared. If I have any anger toward a parent it would at least outwardly aimed at my mother. Whether I have anger toward my father - maybe - but this would be so deep I do not register it at a conscious level.

Was there a strong male influence in the childrens homes? There was always male staff about and there was a lot of boys in the homes as they tended to outnumber the girls. I seem to remember though that as far as darwin and the survival of the fittest went in the homes there was a pecking order. The younger children were in danger of being hit by the older children until the younger children grew older and repeated the game.

Do I lose my temper? yes I do. Do I feel the compulsion to get up and do something - whether it needs to be done or not? yes I do.

starchaser

Hey guys!!! I have mars in libra in 4th house, 11 degrees away from the cusp of my 5th house,some people say it's a bad position.In fact i don't like to fight with others & i'm never angry for a long time against others,i'm not sure if so much tolerance is always a good think..Anyway at least my Mars conjunct (almost ,not sure) Spica and is part of a Grand Trine (Moon Gemini 12th,Jupiter Aquarius in 8th,Mars Libra in 4th) with Moon opposite Uranus (kite),i hope this makes my Mars position a bit more fortunate :)

Last edited:

Lin

My experience is that all angular Mars can said to have very real inherent rage, just from being angular.
Also, any planet on the IC, aside from Sun or Venus (and they, too, if debilitated) can be the sign of major familial issues that need to be overcome and brought to the consciousness before the person can have serenity.
LIN

B

bigblack

@Lin - perhaps the deep rage is correct - not necessarily from the native though.

For example my mars/sun (6/8 degrees respectively) conjunction in the third/fourth house (depending on what house system) is opposed by uranus at 7 degrees. But I also have a moon/pluto/mc conjunction directly opposing chiron on the ic. In all its a big conjunction opposing another big conjunction. Point is that my mother was the most unbalanced and disturbed person I have ever known. She was constantly in a rage. Abusive both mentally and physically - and I have both the marks internally and externally to prove it.

Lin

As far as I am concerned, that is an entirely different discussion.
You would probably have had the same negative experiences with your mother regardless where Mars is located in your chart.
That Moon-Pluto issue brings its own garbage to the chart (and the life.)

By the way, again, off topic, Uranus opposing any person planet is a "red warning light" to any astrologer!
You really never recover from that stuff....and your own anger will be a legacy.
LIN

piscesnurse

thank you chirongirl',this makes sense to me
I have mars and saturn in the fourth house,which i usually cringe when i think of it~ also in cancer yikes~i often felt out of place in my family when i was young

B

bigblack

@Lin - dont we all have some negative experience with someone. I was simply trying to point out that it is not necessarily the native who has deep anger.

BTW - do you have mars in the fourth?

Caro

these placements can be difficult and those formative years of life expressed by the natal chart often challenging to come to terms with.

http://www.lifeastrologer.com/

this astrologer has done much research in 4th house, 12th house and 8th and the links with family(ie carrying the burdens of the family) she does this in a positive and helpful way. :smile:

Ive attended a couple of her lectures and she makes me want to study astrology rather than just want to top 'myself'!:andy:

B

bigblack

thanks for the link caro. I will look into this.

I dont think the chart is altogether about oneself. It can be others, and quite often is, who will demonstrate the traits. Hence my reference to my mother in regards to 4 house mars and deep anger. My mars is part of an opposition. So which side do I deal with?

Caro

I have a number of planets in 4th too if you use the placidus chart.
I found this astrologer a revelation in my understanding of what was going on in my life.
I began to percieve my mother in a new and probably not good light.(Moon in pisces in 4th)
however you have to try and reconcile it to resolve it to move on with your own life
otherwise you can become stuck, however it can be very tough to resolve these issues.
so with opposition (I have those too!) it about meeting in the middle .
The 4th house is about (I think ) going within or deep and also - past life blocks(if that is your belief system)
so you have the answers - which you have to search for..
Annie Lennox - works now tirelessly for women and children's charities and also peace organisations.
I love her music but she has something that troubles her.(she seems very alone even when she is with people)
I can resonate with that.
Interestingly she has not remarried.

Lin

BB- in one's chart is everyone else in the native's life. All the people you know, and even the people you fantasize about! So yes.....but also all the planets....ALL the planets represent parts of yourself. One reason we KNOW this is that each planet represents a part of the body....Mars rules the head and several glandular systems...as the adrenals...etc.

You have the anger. But like me, maybe, you have refused to allow it to rule you ...or like me, you may have worked hard to channel it into useful forms.
I have Mars in Virgo in my 10th....it is, along with my Merc in Leo on the west side of the tenth, closest to my MC -both exactly 7 degrees from the MC.
I am lucky that along with a couple of squares to Mars, I also have some sextiles to it. And sextiles bring opportunity...in this case the opportunity to use the Mars for useful purposes and not disruption.
LIN

B

bigblack

Caro - I never meant for my post to start a discussion about the pro's and con's concerning my mother. I just simply wanted to use what I wrote about my planets placements as a backup to my proposition that it is not always the native who has deep rage.

I am also sorry that it may be felt that my inclusion in this thread has been disruptive.

Again I simply wanted to point out its not always the native. I thought I was adding to this thread, after all I was mentioning mars in the fourth - not misdirecting.

On a more personal note I now notice that I posted earlier in this thread. My bad. I am dyslexic and sometimes have trouble with the computer screen - I have fallen foul of this before.

I shall say no more.