Cherrypicking a Signs (or Planet in a Signs) trait to praise or BASH a Person.

Darth MI

Another one of the threads I state I'll link in the prior thread about abuses on astrology.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=542261

One of the BIGGEST ABUSES and double standards I have seen in the astrology community.

Because its so **** long and to avoid violating site rules I will simply link it instead of quoting it directly.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130815161224AA2Fa5q

Its so STUPID I won't comment any further except its ridiculous to praise someone for having a Cancer moon or leo moon blah blah blah because you like him but to bash someone else also with a Leo moon or Cancer moon yadda yadda yadda with all the negatives of the placement because you hate him and so forte. Well in fact both people HAVE the stereotypical psycho-astrological traits both positive and negative of both signs!

sworm09

Another one of the threads I state I'll link in the prior thread about abuses on astrology.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=542261

One of the BIGGEST ABUSES and double standards I have seen in the astrology community.

Because its so **** long and to avoid violating site rules I will simply link it instead of quoting it directly.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130815161224AA2Fa5q

Its so STUPID I won't comment any further except its ridiculous to praise someone for having a Cancer moon or leo moon blah blah blah because you like him but to bash someone else also with a Leo moon or Cancer moon yadda yadda yadda with all the negatives of the placement because you hate him and so forte. Well in fact both people HAVE the stereotypical psycho-astrological traits both positive and negative of both signs!

I think you said it best, it's stupid. I don't really even understand the argument here.

Darth MI

I think you said it best, it's stupid. I don't really even understand the argument here.

Reread my link including the additional details tab. I notice a big tendency for people to go out hating a specific sign (say Aries moon) when they speak of someone they really hate. But if they discover their bff also has an Aries moon, they suddenly praise Aries moon as though its awesome when talking abut their friends (ignoring the fact said friend also has the same negative traits of Aries moon that they criticize people they hate who also has Aries moon).

This is what I meant. People cherry pick the negatives and positives of each sign or planets in each sign to praise or bash people (ignoring that people they hate or love sharing the same placement also share the same exact description of both signs). It ridiculous to hear "I LOVE LEO MOONS because they are fun" but if they discover someone they hate also has a Leo Moon they go around "its his Leo moon thats making him arrogant and I can't stand Leo moons!".

mdinaz

This is not an astrology problem but a people problem. I've had this discussion on the forum and it is a waste of time. They are not going to change.

sworm09

Reread my link including the additional details tab. I notice a big tendency for people to go out hating a specific sign (say Aries moon) when they speak of someone they really hate. But if they discover their bff also has an Aries moon, they suddenly praise Aries moon as though its awesome when talking abut their friends (ignoring the fact said friend also has the same negative traits of Aries moon that they criticize people they hate who also has Aries moon).

This is what I meant. People cherry pick the negatives and positives of each sign or planets in each sign to praise or bash people (ignoring that people they hate or love sharing the same placement also share the same exact description of both signs). It ridiculous to hear "I LOVE LEO MOONS because they are fun" but if they discover someone they hate also has a Leo Moon they go around "its his Leo moon thats making him arrogant and I can't stand Leo moons!".

Gotcha Darth,

To be honest people who do that aren't doing Astrology. Natal charts are like maps (funnily people called them maps for centuries), not story books or poems. A planet, in a sign, in a house in aspects to particular planets and ruled by certain planets has a very specific meaning for that person. So as you said, it's rather stupid (and biased) for someone to harp on someone for having a Moon in Aries.

We have no place for bias/subjectivity in Astrology, if we're to keep it going.

What's funny to watch is how people will craft an interpretation around what you say. If you give them a chart and say "I'm scared and isolated" they'll start pointing out indicators that say that you are. If you post the same chart and start flaming people, they'll point out indicators that you're an arrogant bully. Funny how people's perceptions will cloud their delineations eh?

Try and watch people read Adolf Hitler's chart and struggle because the chart doesn't meet their preconceived notions of who they think Hitler really is. The chart doesn't scream psychotic killer, but people will find ways of forcing it into the chart.

Look up people attempting delineate Barack Obama's or George W. Bush's chart and watch how a clear bias will come out. Someone will read Obama's chart and see antichrist while others will see a messiah. People will look at Bush's chart and see "clear" indicators that he was a power hungry nutjob, but others will see a gentle man caught up in the wrong time period.

In those cases people aren't doing Astrology, but using Astrology to push their preconceived notions. That's pretty disrespectful if you ask me, and we probably shouldn't stand for it (as I see it has bothered you).

To be fair though, you don't see that too often on this forum. Sometimes, but not often.

Last edited:

RodJM

Gotcha Darth,

To be honest people who do that aren't doing Astrology. Natal charts are like maps (funnily people called them maps for centuries), not story books or poems. A planet, in a sign, in a house in aspects to particular planets and ruled by certain planets has a very specific meaning for that person. So as you said, it's rather stupid (and biased) for someone to harp on someone for having a Moon in Aries.

We have no place for bias/subjectivity in Astrology, if we're to keep it going.

What's funny to watch is how people will craft an interpretation around what you say. If you give them a chart and say "I'm scared and isolated" they'll start pointing out indicators that say that you are. If you post the same chart and start flaming people, they'll point out indicators that you're an arrogant bully. Funny how people's perceptions will cloud their delineations eh?

Try and watch people read Adolf Hitler's chart and struggle because the chart doesn't meet their preconceived notions of who they think Hitler really is. The chart doesn't scream psychotic killer, but people will find ways of forcing it into the chart.

Look up people attempting delineate Barack Obama's or George W. Bush's chart and watch how a clear bias will come out. Someone will read Obama's chart and see antichrist while others will see a messiah. People will look at Bush's chart and see "clear" indicators that he was a power hungry nutjob, but others will see a gentle man caught up in the wrong time period.

In those cases people aren't doing Astrology, but using Astrology to push their preconceived notions. That's pretty disrespectful if you ask me, and we probably shouldn't stand for it (as I see it has bothered you).

To be fair though, you don't see that too often on this forum. Sometimes, but not often.

Agreed,
Its a bit like people who use religion to justify war, just pick and choose what you want from the doctrine in order to rationalize to a larger group why war is necessary. All under the banner of "The truth" as perceived by them.
Astrologers sometimes forget when interpreting a natal chart and comparing it to the real world life of an individual that there is such a thing commonly known as "Free Will". This concept causes confusion in astrological circles. I'm not going to get into the philosophical arguments for or against it as its an area of constant birthing for new research and conclusions. But its something everyone who wants to study astrology should properly understand.

junoisuppose

Honestly I have never heard anyone do that.

I've heard people say leo moons are fun, creative, loyal and loving, I've also heard people say that leo moons are arrogant, egotistical, bossy and vain. But I have never heard anyone say that they are only one side of it. I think it's just a matter of people focusing on the good reasons why they like their friend or focusing on the reasons why they don't like another person, they are not saying that these people don't also possess the other side of it.

Plus I also agree, as has been pointed out above, that it is more complicated than just a planet in a sign, the same planet may be strong or weak in a different chart, it may rule a different area of life, it will most probably be in a different house, and that's before we even consider free will and life experiences that will cause people to modify their behaviour and curb the less socially acceptable aspects of particular placements.

GalacticEgg

You hit a very specific nail on the head with your comment. Speaking of Hitler, anyway, I can't help but think of this thread, which is an example of cherry picking at its finest:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13261

It seems that it was very hard for some of us to accept that Hitler was born with Libra rising...

junoisuppose

You hit a very specific nail on the head with your comment. Speaking of Hitler, anyway, I can't help but think of this thread, which is an example of cherry picking at its finest:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13261

It seems that it was very hard for some of us to accept that Hitler was born with Libra rising...

Hitler had a girlfriend (although I did hear somewhere that he coerced her into the relationship), he liked to watch sentimental black and white movies at his house in the hills (Eagle's Eyrie) and he was popular with the majority of the population (although it's true he did eliminate his enemies and rule by fear).

What is interesting about Hitler is that he was not a monster, he was a person, and that is what is truly frightening, is how easy it is for ordinary people to do terrible things that damage millions of other people's lives.

ukdesifem

Human behaviour lol..

I've long thought that everything is subjective, but then i think not everybody is objective and even then people who are more objective than others are still subjective. it's human, we see everything from our own lens as it were.

And even though there is no good or better sign, again, we have our biases. Maybe it's my own bias here, but then I reckon sometimes Leos compared to say Libras or Aquarians tend to get less positive readings. A leo reading may have one negative point amongst numerous positives, whilst the Libra may not have any negative points.

ukdesifem

Agreed,
Its a bit like people who use religion to justify war, just pick and choose what you want from the doctrine in order to rationalize to a larger group why war is necessary. All under the banner of "The truth" as perceived by them.
Astrologers sometimes forget when interpreting a natal chart and comparing it to the real world life of an individual that there is such a thing commonly known as "Free Will". This concept causes confusion in astrological circles. I'm not going to get into the philosophical arguments for or against it as its an area of constant birthing for new research and conclusions. But its something everyone who wants to study astrology should properly understand.

I agree with this, all the stars do is lay down the landscape, we have to still navigate it. it's a big misconception that the stars control our fates. We only do, ultimately.