do you use half time zones?

Betelgeuse

jagetoile said:
hi everybody, i encounter an awkard question when using the Astrodienst charts. i noticed sometimes Astrodienst gives out a half time zone by the choice of automatic time zone. and it warns that if not automatic, a false chart might be generated

It does matter a lot.

- Having the corect time of your birth (hours/minutes), but with an incorrect timezone is considerated like the wrong time of your birth, which generates a false chart.

For your example the half timezone, if not automatic, you could generate a chart whit 30 minutes distance from the right time of birth.

This matter of subject is quite complicated if your not used to it ( for me it's quite dificult sometimes ) , while having the consideration of the corect location, data, time of birth and the timezone ( whit thier own administrative timezone adjustment, thier daylight savings, which some areas are not used or just included much later than other zones )

Example: In Romania, some astrologers consider to use of daylight savings for those that are born right after 1979, those that are earlier, even born on summer, cannot have daylight savings cause it wasn't used until 1979. In astrology it's quite recommended to have some knowledge about geography when it comes to timezones and daylight savings.

unukalhai

Some countries do use split time zones... It's confusing and annoying!

Generally, the best thing to do is research what time zone the native would have really been born in. Sometimes, this is a whole problem in and of itself! But once you figure out what time zone the native was really born in, convert it to GMT, and specify 0:00 (None, GMT) as the time zone offset.

http://www.timeanddate.com/

They have time zone information, including DST information, going back to 1970 for just about any location, I use this site often to determine what to feed into my astrology software (astrolog32) which doesn't determine the time zone for you.

It would be so much easier if birth certificates always specified the julian date as the birthtime :68:

unukalhai

UTC, GMT, Western European Time ("WET") are all the same thing for our purposes... There's all too many ways of saying it, really. GMT, UTC, and WET reference the "center" time zone, which other time zones are some number of hours ahead or behind. When its said a time zone is "-06:00" it simply means that time zone is 6 hours behind GMT/UTC, which happens to be "CST" in the USA

Sometimes GMT/UTC is just called London Time, because London happens to be on GMT/UTC

Here's a (big) map of the world time zones, which makes it a bit more apparent, the black numbers under the degree markers across the top show the time zone offset.

http://www.proyectosalonhogar.com/Diversos_Temas/Los_Continentes/time-zones.gif

unukalhai

weirdness! it does exactly the same thing for me.

I did a little searching around and it looks like China has been using a single time zone, even for their huge swath of land, since after the civil war.

... Interesting article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zones_of_China

When you are entering chart data, after you click continue the first time, you should see a "use manual time zone" option.. check the box beside it, and click continue again.. it will present a dropdown box where you will be able to specify "e8:00 China Coast"... That should take care of it :D

I tend to have a lot of problems doing my natal charts on some sites as I was born in a +10.5 GMT timezone (+9.5 GMT plus one hours daylight saving!!) and many of the websites don't cater for 0.5h so I have to wind my chart back 0.5h to make it fit.