Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Traditional Astrology

Traditional Astrology For discussions on Traditional Astrology only. (Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700 by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renaissance eras. In general, it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction) though there may be some exceptions, and always excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) as well as any asteroids. The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation and more on prediction. Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 12-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Account Closed

Yes, the notion that the Hellenes were predominately using Ptolemaic Tropical zodiac is simply wrong. They were using Babylonian tables which were Sidereal. Valens himself used something other than the Ptolemaic Tropical zodiac to measure his longitudes as evidenced by his comments on the position of the Equinox. Of course, this doesn't make either zodiac any more 'right' than the other, but we should at least try to split the significations derived from the Sidereal from those that are Tropical. As far as I can see, that potentially doesn't leave Tropical astrologers much to work with, but they've been fine so far. I guess the next few generations will really see the difference as we get a larger and larger degree dufference

Last edited by Konrad; 12-29-2014 at 03:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Konrad For This Useful Post:
Arena (12-29-2014), JUPITERASC (12-29-2014)

Tags
alcocoden, hyleg