Mercury retrograde-do you talk to yourself?

lol!

Okay so the ruler of my 3rd house is in the 12th and neptune is also square my mercury in Virgo...

But I must admit, I talk to myself...a lot. My bf says as I'm cleaning the house or whatever, I sometimes murmur to myself in a semi-audible way. I think it's b/c I am thinking of several things at once, several layers of attention; one forward, one backward. Besides this being an introvert habit, I think this has something to do with the retrograde. I don't mind it, but it does have the potential to be embarrassing...I'm sure in my old age I will be having fully fledged conversations with myself :alien:

tsmall

Premium Member
I have Mercury retro too, and I can say that I definately talk to myself. In fact, I have some of the best conversations that way. :smile:

JUPITERASC

lol! Okay so the ruler of my 3rd house is in the 12th and neptune is also square my mercury in Virgo...

But I must admit, I talk to myself...a lot. My bf says as I'm cleaning the house or whatever, I sometimes murmur to myself in a semi-audible way. I think it's b/c I am thinking of several things at once, several layers of attention; one forward, one backward. Besides this being an introvert habit, I think this has something to do with the retrograde. I don't mind it, but it does have the potential to be embarrassing...I'm sure in my old age I will be having fully fledged conversations with myself :alien:
Is that so unusual? Although some people neither audibly nor semi audibly speak their thoughts - some do! Many with Mercury direct speak their thoughts audibly too

Most people think and it is not unusual for some people to occasionally speak their thoughts audibly to no one in particular... Obviously, there are extreme forms of this behavior... for instance I have observed people walking alone downtown talking VERY LOUDLY while not on a mobile and with no one accompanying them. Mumbling semi audibly while vacuuming seems normal enough in comparison. Cleaning is not rocket science so your mind is probably processing ideas and murmuring aloud.

As for what you may or may not be doing in old age - why not focus on what you are doing now? Consider whether there are any local debating or discussion groups you may join so you can chatter away freely. :smile:

Last edited:
Is that so unusual? Although some people neither audibly nor semi audibly speak their thoughts - some do! Many with Mercury direct speak their thoughts audibly too

Most people think and it is not unusual for some people to occasionally speak their thoughts audibly to no one in particular... Obviously, there are extreme forms of this behavior... for instance I have observed people walking alone downtown talking VERY LOUDLY while not on a mobile and with no one accompanying them. Mumbling semi audibly while vacuuming seems normal enough in comparison. Cleaning is not rocket science so your mind is probably processing ideas and murmuring aloud. :smile:

You'll have to excuse me, jupterasc, with all my Virgo my own minor eccentricities loom large in my mind...mumble mumble mumble twitch twitch

tsmall

Premium Member
I'm sure in my old age I will be having fully fledged conversations with myself :alien:

Once you can get an argument going with you, yourself, and the TV, the party really starts. :smile: I've had a couple that involve the refrigerator as well...

I don't know that it has to do with Mercury, retrograde or not, but I find that the more I have on my mind, the more I end up talking to myself. I do it so often that the people I work with make a joke of it. :tongue: Of course, part of it could be that my short term memory is a lot like Swiss cheese. Some days I swear I could hide my own Easter eggs...

Once you can get an argument going with you, yourself, and the TV, the party really starts. :smile: I've had a couple that involve the refrigerator as well...

I don't know that it has to do with Mercury, retrograde or not, but I find that the more I have on my mind, the more I end up talking to myself. I do it so often that the people I work with make a joke of it. :tongue: Of course, part of it could be that my short term memory is a lot like Swiss cheese. Some days I swear I could hide my own Easter eggs...

I love that! Also, with Uranus in the 3rd, ideas strike me suddenly, and I have to verbalise them (partly b/c I don't often think in words) to fully understand them. So I may be thinking of something really intently, and bits of it will be audible b/c that's the way I have to process and it's kind of beyond my control.

JUPITERASC

and the toaster often pops up with a timely comment:smile:

If other people are apparently 'not listening' then perhaps it is necessary to validate thoughts by random verbalising! Also I think memory is important: some people need to say things so as to imprint their memory. It is all related to concentration and focus.

Which reminds me - Einstein was a Tropical Mercury in Pisces :smile:

tsmall

Premium Member
and the toaster often pops up with a timely comment:smile:

And now I have the almost uncontrollable desire to start singing "Be Our Guest." :lol:

I do wonder though what would astrologically make someone more inclined toward talking to themselves?

If other people are apparently 'not listening' then perhaps it is necessary to validate thoughts by random verbalising!

It seems it would come from a need to be heard, and a desire for companionship...even if the only company is the TV, refrigerator, or toaster...

Astrodawn

I talk to myself all the time, 75% of the time I don't even know I'm doing it !!
I have the facial expressions and hand movement's to go with the conversation too :)

Rx mercury square pluto/uranus/mars

Love2Know

My bf talks to himself it's super freaky. It's pent up angry work stress talking, but I just checked he doesn't have mercury retrograde. Maybe it is due to his only square Mars square Uranus. If I want to **** him off I copy what he does, the angry talk but its not something I naturally do. I don't do much if no ones there to notice, then I just stay introverted. Those loud head set talkers really upset and freak me out sometimes lol.

Well, whatever the astrological signifiers are...i am sure they have to do with introverted communication. A need to hash out your thoughts with yourself on your own...if not merc retrograde, than I'm pretty sure it can be seen through other placements in the chart (to do with mercury or 3rd house). Thanks for all the feedback!

Love2Know

My bf is keen on the self talk and has a lot of planets in the 3ed house! I realized I do it at work when I have to do cash related stuf..

DeLaSoul

For some reason, ever since I was an infant.. I totally could not stand it when people spoke their thoughts out loud or talked to themselves (unless you were engaging in an activity like 'playing'). It just seemed so ..crazy to me. Like people were nuts. My brother would talk to himself in the mirror all the time, it would just weird me out..

Now at age 22, I'm finally starting to share thoughts/convos with myself and not feel totally awkward.. yet it still annoys me a bit when people around me think out loud.

I'm guessing it has something to do with mercury trine jupiter/chiron retro 3rd house

M

may28gemini

LOL I have Gemini Mercury direct and I talk to myself all the time! I talk to myself when I'm around others and when I'm alone.

I don't think talking to the self can really be pinpointed to something so specific as having natal Mercury Rx!

Prisma

Merc. rx in 11th Cancer & Neptune rx in Sag, in 3rd ruled by Scorpio, Merc & Neptune in trine:

I sometimes talk to myself, like when one use to playfully daydream as a child, like dreams of been dancing, on stage, etc., or when I am under a LOT of stress, sometimes revising some trouble over and how I should have acted to get a better result or if in some hipothetical situation, what would I do or would like to do in that situation, like be a heroine and save the day, for example.

Also when I was a child, I also talked during my sleep. This conduct kind of subsided with age and also with a trick a psychologist on a lecture on my school once gave me: putting my creative energies to work, writting, painting, etc. As soon as I did, the sleep talk almost completly ended.

“The creative adult is the child who has survived.” – Ursula K. LeGuin
http://www.dictionary-quotes.com/the-creative-adult-is-the-child-who-has-survived-ursula-k-leguin/
Ursula Kroeber Le Guin: American author of novels, children's books, and short stories, mainly in the genres of fantasy and science fiction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_K._Le_Guin

Kirka

I sometimes talk to myself, like when one use to playfully daydream as a child, like dreams of been dancing, on stage, etc., or when I am under a LOT of stress, sometimes revising some trouble over and how I should have acted to get a better result or if in some hipothetical situation, what would I do or would like to do in that situation, like be a heroine and save the day, for example.

This applies to me too, it's just that for me it sometimes feel as almost leading a double life, the real and ''in my head'' one :)
I have a Mercury and Neptune retrograde in a Grand Trine with Moon.

The_Saturnian

Mercury retrograded in my 4th, squaring Saturn & trining Uranus. My self talk involves a lot of replays of past events and what I could have done to change the outcome in my favour.

I tend to read books and revise aloud for exams pretending that I'm lecturing a crowd or group of students, and have found that it is actually a very useful technique for improving the length of concerntrating on studying something a lot easier, as well as retaining things in my memory for the paper I sit. :D