Predictive Astrology Book Recommendations

MSO

I'm looking for recommendations on predictive methods of astrology.

I have no preference for what you think is a good book. It doesn't matter if it's modern, traditional, or some quack method no one has ever heard of. I plan to read everything I can get my hands on.

What I'm looking for in specific is something along the lines of Primary Directions and Solar Arcs, and Profections and Returns. Transits, of course, are always good to read about.

But don't feel limited by that list, if there's something I'm not aware of, please feel free to recommend.

dr. farr

Here is a selection:

Transits:
-"Transits" by R. Ebertin

Solar Return:
-"Art of Forecasting using Solar Return" by A. Louis
(and, if you can find it, Volguine's "Technique of Solar Returns", upon which the Louis book is largely based)

Progressions:
-"Symbolic Directions in Modern Astrology", by Carter

-"Art of Predictive Astrology", by Rushman

Interesting Techniques:
-"How to Predict your Future", by Braha (mixture of Western and Vedic-but mostly Vedic-methods)

-"Vedic Progressions", by D. S. Mathur (uses ancient progression method largely forgotten in contemporary Vedic astrology; note: this material can be used quite effectively with out Tropical zodiac-you don't necessarily need to use sidereal; same holds true for methods in the Braha book, except that to find the nakshatras for estimating the dasa periods you will have to use the sidereal place of the Moon)

MSO

Here is a selection:

Transits:
-"Transits" by R. Ebertin

Solar Return:
-"Art of Forecasting using Solar Return" by A. Louis
(and, if you can find it, Volguine's "Technique of Solar Returns", upon which the Louis book is largely based)

Progressions:
-"Symbolic Directions in Modern Astrology", by Carter

-"Art of Predictive Astrology", by Rushman

Interesting Techniques:
-"How to Predict your Future", by Braha (mixture of Western and Vedic-but mostly Vedic-methods)

-"Vedic Progressions", by D. S. Mathur (uses ancient progression method largely forgotten in contemporary Vedic astrology; note: this material can be used quite effectively with out Tropical zodiac-you don't necessarily need to use sidereal; same holds true for methods in the Braha book, except that to find the nakshatras for estimating the dasa periods you will have to use the sidereal place of the Moon)

Thanks dr. farr, you never let me down.

One question though, about the last book; are those progressions anything at all like modern progressions used today?

JerryRR

Cycles of Destiny,understanding return charts, by Ronald C Davison.
Covers prog Solar/Lunar returns,Duodecimal SR,monthly moonrise,synodic lunation,etc.

Solar and Lunar Returns by John Filby.
Looks at Mundane,Sidereal,Demi/Quasi Returns,Solar Quotidians,Kinetic SR,etc.

Solar and Lunar Returns,an exercise in Sidereal Astrology by Donald A Bradley.

The Technique of Prediction,by Ronald C Davison.

Dynamic Astrology,by Sven F F Svensson,looks at Tertiary Directions.

J.R.

JerryRR

Classical Astrology for Modern Living,by Dr Lehman,chapter on Profections.

Astrological Roots,by Joseph Crane,chapters on Transits and Profections,Planetary Time Lord Systems,Ascensions and Directions etc.

Primary Direcctions,by Martin Gansten,chapter on Hyleg.

Complete Method of Prediction, by Robert DeLuce,looks at Transits,Embolismic Lunations,Lunations,Primary,Prog' and Mundane Aspects.

J.R.

MSO

Complete Method of Prediction, by Robert DeLuce,looks at Transits,Embolismic Lunations,Lunations,Primary,Prog' and Mundane Aspects.

This sounds good! How in depth is it? Also, is the full name of the book "Complete Method Of Prediction From Genethliac Astrology According To The Western Systems"?

JerryRR

Hi MSO,
Yes that is the books full title,published in 1935,I have the 1978 edition.
The books ISBN number is 0-88231-027-5
There is an interesting introduction,followed by chapters covering theory,philosophy of directions,theory of celestial sphere,methods of calculation and judgement of effects of arc etc.About a quarter of the book is Astronomical and Mathematical tables.
The book I would choose,pre computer prog' days.I think Nova was one of the first progs' to compute a "Speculum".Modern software such as Morinus etc will do all the calculations for you and more.

J.R.

dr. farr

Another type of "Solar Return" methodology is from Vedic astrology and is called Varshphal or Varshaphala (the "annual horoscope") It differs in a number of particulars from our Western Solar Return approach-while usually it is based on the sidereal zodiac, nonetheless it can equally be delineated from our tropical zodiacal matrix as well. Probably the best (English language) work on this subject is Charak's
"Textbook of Varshaphala" (available from several online vendors including astroamerica.com)