Any LOST fans here?

MTTY05

I've seen every episode, and I'm a big fan of the show. It's probably my favorite show to debut in the previous decade. Anyone else going to watch the season premiere tmw night?

I'd really like to see the aftermath of the H-bomb explosion. I thought the season finale last year was kind of dumb (Juliet detonating a hydrogen bomb by hitting it with a rock... c'mon that's just retarded) but I can look over that.

Pallas-trine-Mars

Not me, not anymore. :unsure:

I used to like it when I was impressed at what seemed like a complex story and I thought the writers had an idea of what they were doing, not just random stuff to keep surprising us. I have the same problem with Heroes.

Last edited:

MTTY05

I thought it was loony for them to make it look like Sayid died. He's pretty much the baddest SOB on that island. Like he's really going to die...lol.

I stopped watching it when Ana died, and then i tried to watch it again and then Charlie died. I'm watching the last season now though to see if any of my fave characters make a reappearance.

Yes I like Lost too (here was a thread I did earlier on Lost Theories). This series has been disappointing, I liked the first episode of the series and now it's been a bit of a let down. I am hoping the series picks up again soon, and I will have the popcorn/ice cream in ready for the finale. I forgot about last Friday's episode and tried to watch it on Saturday, but my little boy was playing Spider Man, which was obviously more important :tongue:. He was enjoying himself, so I will have to catch up this week. I loved the first episode of the 6th series, it might pick up again with more momentum.

Pallas-trine-Mars

Who's more evil: The Man in Black, The Others ..or other?

Who do you guys think is more evil?

I'm going with The Others for now. The Man in Black has proven sneaky and calculating, but The Others I think still have him beat: Brainwashing, indiscriminate murder and maliciousness (the MIB at least is selective of who he slaughters, not to play devil's advocate).

Still 2 episodes left (1 episode and a 2 episode special), so we'll see. I'm guessing that if allowing him to escape the Island causes the world to go to hell (even though there's already plenty of evil in the LOST universe and our own) it means the people brought to the island are supposed to represent humanity.

Is Jacob supposed to be God, an angel or something else?

piscesascendant

till 2 episodes left (1 episode and a 2 episode special)

Actually, 3 episodes--2 left [May 11 and May 18], then the 2 episode special on Sunday, May 23. Discovered that when I planned to watch it April 27th and a new episode wasn't on. Did some research and remembered May is sweeps month, so the episodes got pushed back a week. Gotta take advantage of sweeps month, and no better series to do it than the final season of LOST.

Inside Out Orange

I've watched it all so far but I've lost interest (no pun intended). I will see it through to the end but I've found it all a bit piecemeal. They've made it up as they go along ...

Edit: seems Pallas-trine-mars said similar early on.

Last edited:

Inside Out Orange

Well ... I finished off watching it all. I think the finale was about as good as they could have done. Very sad and schmaltzy. But it was a big disappointment in relation to the whole series ... so few explanations ... particularly of what/why the island was there? the others? what happened to Walt? etc, etc

Pallas-trine-Mars

Continuing from where you left off, Inside, I have a few more criticisms of that show, BTW didn't see the finale, read spoilers on Wiki:

1. They're emotionally manipulative but people are so stupid they just ate it up. When I first started watching in the first season and part of the second one I thought like everyone else I was watching a complex, metaphysical and spiritual work of art. Turns out it was just a bunch of nonsense they knew they could get rich off of as long as they could keep us guessing and keep us feeling like we're watching something ingenious and deep, playing mystical sounding music to play around with us, keep the actors seeming like something fascinating would be revealed.

2. They can't create a good antagonist. First the Others/Dharma initiative were horrendously hard on the survivors, attacking, killing, kidnapping for no reason. Then for no reason at all they decided to make the smoke monster the main 'enemy,' but he wasn't even that bad; His "mother" and he himself said so. Still, for some reason he became representative of "malevolence" according to Jacob, BUT what the F*** is that!? There was ALREADY so much evil throughout the series, before and after and whatever, wherever they were, so how could Jacob's twin have possibly been the source of it, especially when he couldn't leave the island? He couldn't even go into a bunch of bamboo! And you expect me to believe this thing/person is supposed to be that dangerous? Yes, he did tell like 2 lies, kill at least one innocent person (Richard's wife) and a bunch of hostile minor characters in one, maybe two shots, and give the sociopathic Benjamin Linus a slight bit more anger to kill Jacob with, but that's still NOTHING compared to the Dharma initiative and Widmore's crew, neither of which were under that unnamed man/creature's control. In the last season they claim that if he got off the Island everyone in the world would disappear, which was their idea of Hell as Hurley said that was what Hell was for the proxy of Richard's wife. But they did so many time skip and what they called "Flash sideways" that they didn't even think to use one to show us what would happen if he/it got off the Island. Know why? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T KNOW THEMSELVES. All they knew was that they had to explain why there's a sentient smoke being, what it is, what it can do etc and they made a bunch of stuff up and didn't care if it fit so long as it was 'complete'.

3. I want the hours I spent watching that hogwash back! And maybe J. J. Abrams and the other creators and writers to be put in a pillories with a bull's eye at the center, a videocamera and five minutes alone with them and a gross of eggs or two.

Last edited:

Inside Out Orange

I guess I don't quite share your level of disappointment because over the past few years I've come to realise how American TV is 'constructed'.

- Basically they create a show.
- They create a pilot episode and if it goes well they commission a series of about 4 shows (see reimagined V and The Prisoner) and show them before Christmas.
- If the 4 shows go well the finish out the season in the New Year and decide whether it's worth renewing.
- They write the scripts for the first 6-8 shows of the next series, then the rest they do ad hoc as they go along. That's why if you look at series 3 of Lost there is a coherent set of stories where Jack/Kate/Sawyer are all caged up on the 2nd island then the series disintegrates.
- February is the month when TV ratings are particularly recognised so a show will put its big revelation episodes into that month.

Prison Break is another good example of a show that went wrong. Apparently they spent Series 1 trying to break out of prison. They achieved that, so now what are the scriptwriters meant to do? They spend series 2 trying to break back in!

Lost went the same way. They spent seasons 1-3 trying to get off the island, then when they did that at the end of season 3; they spent season 4 trying to get back. But once you've done that what do you do next?

Apparently Flashforward (another US series) has been canned. I read a blog by someone who thought that the writers had actually worked out where the storyarc was going for the whole of the series (not just one season) but because of that they spent more time setting up the early stories that they just became boring and ratings went down.

So what do you do? TV is still driven by ratings which drive advertising. Productions are still costly. Perhaps the answer is to head back to the days of 'singular' shows ... no story arcs ...

Pallas-trine-Mars

In other words:

276268.jpg

Hail the Almighty Dollar!

Too bad about Flashforward, it looked like they were going somewhere with that, of course it probably would've ran into the ground like LOST did. 'V' looks interesting too, I love how they're showing the 2 faces of the leader and the characters are all pretty diverse, I wonder what she'll do when she's finally exposed. I don't really watch shows like these too much though, the tension and drama tends to last too long for me to tolerate, soon I get bored or want some comedy, but the writers and artistic directors, even of LOST, on ABC are very talented at producing and editing a drama IMO.

07.Re

Apparently Flashforward (another US series) has been canned

I was a Flashforward fan and was really unhappy when it was taken off the air here in Aus. :mad: Before its debut, the tv network pumped the ads for it.

It initially aired during prime time but before being canned, it ended up being aired in a much later time slot and was then dropped for Amazing Race!

Niplan

Banned
So, I was talking to a fiend at work, about how earth is alive etc. etc. the metaphysical realities of a septenary chain (We are god to our thoughts as our thoughts are god to us)

and he goes on and says "that's just like this show lost you should watch it."

So im woundering, if this show was really designed to manipulate people into throwing away the possibility of the earth being alive...

by making this show so absurd and out there, that whenever people associate a living earth most of them will think of this show that was on TV.. and want to talk about the TV Show.. and stare at you like a leper if you try to explain things to them, thereby stopping spiritual enlightenment.

The T.V is great, The people who program it are evil.

(Didn't read the other posts about it being dumb and til after i posted this :D)

Last edited:

BobZemco

1. They're emotionally manipulative but people are so stupid they just ate it up. When I first started watching in the first season and part of the second one I thought like everyone else I was watching a complex, metaphysical and spiritual work of art. Turns out it was just a bunch of nonsense they knew they could get rich off of as long as they could keep us guessing and keep us feeling like we're watching something ingenious and deep, playing mystical sounding music to play around with us, keep the actors seeming like something fascinating would be revealed.

That's an outstanding on-spot critique.

2. They can't create a good antagonist. First the Others/Dharma initiative were horrendously hard on the survivors, attacking, killing, kidnapping for no reason. Then for no reason at all they decided to make the smoke monster the main 'enemy,' but he wasn't even that bad; His "mother" and he himself said so. Still, for some reason he became representative of "malevolence" according to Jacob, BUT what the F*** is that!? There was ALREADY so much evil throughout the series, before and after and whatever, wherever they were, so how could Jacob's twin have possibly been the source of it, especially when he couldn't leave the island? He couldn't even go into a bunch of bamboo! And you expect me to believe this thing/person is supposed to be that dangerous? Yes, he did tell like 2 lies, kill at least one innocent person (Richard's wife) and a bunch of hostile minor characters in one, maybe two shots, and give the sociopathic Benjamin Linus a slight bit more anger to kill Jacob with, but that's still NOTHING compared to the Dharma initiative and Widmore's crew, neither of which were under that unnamed man/creature's control. In the last season they claim that if he got off the Island everyone in the world would disappear, which was their idea of Hell as Hurley said that was what Hell was for the proxy of Richard's wife. But they did so many time skip and what they called "Flash sideways" that they didn't even think to use one to show us what would happen if he/it got off the Island. Know why? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T KNOW THEMSELVES. All they knew was that they had to explain why there's a sentient smoke being, what it is, what it can do etc and they made a bunch of stuff up and didn't care if it fit so long as it was 'complete'.

Well, I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning to arrive at the conclusion.

Jacob's twin was not inherently evil. The Smokester was a malevolent energy force in the cave that needed some kind of trigger to release it, presumably, a human body. The Man-in-Black was still alive when Jacob pushed him into the cave, but dead when he came out the other side, and the Smokester was released, yet again.

I say "yet again" because we saw several skeletons in the cave with the implication being that several other people had entered the cave and released the Smokster thing on previous occasions.

However, that only begs the question, if Jack killed Locke and then Jack went back into the cave, why didn't the Smokester re-appear as Jack?

Like you, the Smokester was cruising around the Island for 2,000 years and couldn't find a cave in a grove of bamboo?

I'm willing to set aside reality a little bit, but not that much. If I wanted off that bad, I'd have walked every inch of the Island until I found it, and the Island ain't all that big.

Richard's wife was already dead before he was sold into slavery.

This is another thing, I call them Red-Herrings, others call them McGuffins. It just nonsense that leads you down the path to a dead end, and it is exemplary of very, very, very, poor script-writing (or writing for a book even). In fact, if LOST were a book, it would be panned as garbage by every critique on the planet.

So, Christian shows up in Jack's office in Los Angeles.

Which Christian? Smokester Christian, Dead Christian, Island Christian?

Well it can't be the Smokester, because we're told the Smokester can't leave the Island. So, which Christian was it?

Then Christian appears with the Whisperers on the freighter just before it blows up. Which Christian was that? Smokester Christian, Dead Christian, Island Christian?

It can't be Smokester Christian because again, we're told the Smokester can't leave the Island and can't travel over water.

Was it Dead Christian? But Christian didn't die on the Island, so why would he be a Whisperer, or with the Whisperers?

But then wait a minute, Michael didn't die on the Island either, because he was on the freighter and the freighter was beyond the range of the Island (which is why the Zodiac with Dan stayed with the Island and the freighter and helicopter didn't), so why was Michael with the Whisperers?

And then Ben's mother. She first appears to him at the window to his bedroom at the Barracks. We're told, and shown, that the Smokester can't cross the Sonic Barrier protecting the Barracks. Ben's mother didn't die on the Island, so who was it?

Richard's wife didn't die on the Island either, but she appears there.

3. I want the hours I spent watching that hogwash back! And maybe J. J. Abrams and the other creators and writers to be put in a pillories with a bull's eye at the center, a videocamera and five minutes alone with them and a gross of eggs or two.

JJ Abrahms left at the beginning of the 3rd Season. The last episode in which he was involved was a Tale of Two Cities, which was the premiere of the 3rd Season.

The show went down the tubes and lost a lot of viewers after he left.

I have the DVD set and the commentaries are useless. It's just the writers praising themselves with a lot of self-congratulatory back-patting for the, um, "immaculate research" the claim they did, that they never really did at all.