Why Tropical "versus" Sidereal?

Arena

Arena, I have a question about the Lunar nodes, more imaginatively "Dragon's Head and Tail": Standard Tropical attitudes vary, but one view is that the DH is Benific, and DT is Malefic; and in Vedic tradition, the standard view is that both are Malefic. As a Western Siderealist, what's your understanding of them, in terms of the Angle they make to the Ascendant? (I have them squaring my Asc., and DT conj. Midheaven.)
Or, does a Planet need to be involved for that to matter? Thanks!

The nodes are actually just a kind of a midpoint. As such it is important, but in my view I have not yet seen any proof of them being malefic.
Would you say that this position of DT has had malefic effect on your MC (work and your position in the world)?

david starling

The nodes are actually just a kind of a midpoint. As such it is important, but in my view I have not yet seen any proof of them being malefic.
Would you say that this position of DT has had malefic effect on your MC (work and your position in the world)?

Not sure. From my view, the entire natal Chart does, although I try to make the best of it. There are some who place tremendous importance on the Nodes, including "where you're coming from(tail) and where you're going (head)" but I haven't researched it much myself. They're said to "sensitize" the Sign they're in, but I have no Natal planets in that Sign. If there's not one already, I may start a Thread on the topic.
I see no logical reason for them to be considered Malefic, unless it's about eclipses being bad omens. This may be one area that avoids the "what's my Sign" argument. But, probably not!

Last edited:

muchacho

Well muchacho, that is simply not right. ;)

Their strength and relevance are measured by how closely they are to the angles and how tightly aspected they are.

You don't need houses nor signs. You do however need planets and angles.
What astrological school teaches that?

muchacho

What I have noticed about the nodes is that the North Node has Pluto qualities and the South Node has Neptune qualities.

Suzanna

...I've often wondered if I can possibly dismiss the zodiacs altogether and only count on the planetary symbolism.

Certainly the aspects seem more important than the signs, Tropical or Sidereal (or Southern Hemisphere Reversed Tropical for that matter). But personally I find Tropical works a bit better for Mundane events. I was watching a couple of YouTube videos by Vedic astrologer Joni Patry recently, and although her insights related to the Nodes -Rahu, and Mars-Saturn seemed very accurate, the sign placements seemed a bit off, in my opinion.

For example, for 2016, she predicted some dire scenarios, including violence, based on Mars and Saturn in Sidereal Scorpio, (Tropical Sagittarius). But to me, it was when these planets were in Tropical Scorpio that we saw the most gruesome world violence - remember in 2013 and 2014 when ISIS was beheading people in what seemed like weekly executions on our TVs and internet? At that time, Mars and Saturn were actually in Sidereal Libra, which didn't seem to fit at all.

Patry also relates world events to Jupiter and Rahu (Moon's North Node) in Sidereal Leo, where they are of course in Tropical Virgo. To me, this completely misses out on the huge changes we are seeing in medicine. Because of these planets/points opposition to Neptune and Chiron in Tropical Pisces, we are seeing a huge movement towards Holistic medicine and (rightly or wrongly) medical and recreational use of cannabis in the US and Europe.