how to go about learning Transits

tarushorns

Please i am new on the site. I joined the site because i was told that my transition period starts today the 5th but when i got this information i neglected it and thats why i lost contact with the person that gave me this message. Now the transition starts today and i really do not know what to do.

Please could you assist me on what to do please ??. I dont know anything, nothing about transition peroids so i am kind of lost here. The person that gave me this message said that i lost out when i formerly had a transition period years back.

I really do not want to miss out of this. Please could you assist me.

Collins.

gem1ni

This is a very interesting and useful thread. I hope we can revive it. There's so much to learn about transits.

For example, which transits tend to be the most powerful? Conjunction, squares, trines, etc?

Do you use 'minor' aspects in transits, such as noviles or quincuxes?

I agree that transits must always be looked at in comparison with the natal chart. However, they also have an inherent quality. I recently had Saturn square Saturn, and an astrologer told me that it wouldn't be too bad for me because my natal Saturn s well positioned in Cap. However, the transits almost destroyed my life, especially as it was followed by Saturn square Sun.

dr. farr

For me, I consider only transits by conjunction and by ingress-perhaps this is an influence on me of the oldtime Hellenists (Dorotheus of Sidon, 50 AD) and of the Vedic astrological system (which basically looks at conjunctional and ingress transits, or in relationship of the transiting planet to the natal Moon)
Nonetheless, conjunctional and ingress transits are (I have found) quite significant in their influences: and of course, I also consider the Parallel (of declination) transits, which are, basically, the same in influence as conjunctions.

dr. farr

Orbs (I follow) for conjunctional transits are up to 2 degrees; a bit less (up to about 1degree30minutes) for the Parallel of declination transits.

poyi

Premium Member
When looking at transits, I review the natal promise, solar return and Lunar return and rulership of the transiting planets. When that transit conjuncts with Moon for example, I will also go back to see what Moon rules in the natal chart and aspects, sign and houses. Then I will see the full dynamic of the energy in more specific term that will be activated and relevant in my chart.

Claire19

a modern astrologer who is into predictive work might only look at exact connections, with orbs of less then 1 degree.. the bigger the orb the more a transit of an outer planet needs to be ignored.. the other thing.. transits need to connect with directions/progressions for them to have real bearing on a chart as i see it.. these words modern and traditional get a lot of mileage on this site!

I am with you, transits by themselves have little impact. They need to be supported not only by progressions but naturally connect into the natal chart aspects with the same planets involved. THen the event or influence will definitely be felt. Adding solar arcs also can be valid. I would use an orb of 2 degrees applying and separating myself especially with the heavy outer planets. Just as an aside I do not use asteroids or nodes in transits.

JUPITERASC

When looking at transits, I review the natal promise, solar return and Lunar return and rulership of the transiting planets.

When that transit conjuncts with Moon for example,
I will also go back to see what Moon rules in the natal chart and aspects, sign and houses.
Then I will see the full dynamic of the energy in more specific term that will be activated and relevant in my chart.
The natal promise is the important factor :smile:
also

Transits pass with little or no obvious impact
unless the Lord of the Yearly Profection is involved with the transits to natal as well

Lin

Sad to see how few people actually want to LEARN how to read their transits and eventually have some inkling of what to expect from any particularly long term transit.

Someone above said something absolutely useful:

"the very best way to learn this stuff is to go over past events for confirmation of these techniques.. if you spend time on well known people by reading autobiographies, or biographies picking out the time of important events in these peoples lives, you can examine the astro data mentioned above to see astrology in action.. it is best to start by examining the past to see if these methods become part of your learning curve towards venturing into making predictions into the future.. otherwise anything you look at without having examined events from the past will not make much sense to you."

Any time you have a "time line" (whether in your own life or in the life of a celebrity or other famous person) you have the potential to learn an amazing amount about transits.

Many biographies - esp. autobiographies have very specific dates of events in the person's life.
You can also ascertain on your own how close the transit planet has to be in order to make the greatest effect....(orbs of influence).

This does take time and patience; but once you get used to printing out charts you can get for free on Astro.com you can read about the natal planets, study the transits, and over time (depending upon how much time YOU want to spend on this) you can find patterns and get a strong sense of what a Uranus trine Venus or Pluto square Mercury or Saturn conj the Moon - actually means. Usually big events involve several major transit planets at any given time.

And yes, it's important to do some work on the person's (or your own) natal chart...to become familiar with the basic focus of action in the person's life. Astrology is a symbolic language....and like all languages you get BETTER the more you use it.

BUT if you only or always ask OTHERS for their opinions of YOUR chart then you are not getting the full picture. (Unless you are working with a legitimate, personal astrologer.)
But even then, it's always useful to look at and study your own natal chart to become familiar with it's core focal points.

Because every astrologer has his/her own philosophy, focus and priority of importance and values issues. I work a lot with emotional and psychological focus. Others are very into "predictive" work. Lots of astrologers are also Math people....so they like to use an array of dynamics to find answers. There is no one road to finding some truth about your life and what it's about.

But there are many very good, or great, recognized legitimate astrology books by well respected astrologers who have done decades of research. And there are older books that we still use....the best way to learn astrology is "go to the basics". Research which books are considered the best and most respected. And THEN do your OWN research.

that is how you learn. By reading and doing.
LIN

Lin

I'm wondering: does anyone actually want to learn how to use transits? I mean.....actually do some work to learn them?
There are "rules" sort of.....and I have my own system which works pretty well.
LIN

FraterAC

I would say, if anyone wants to learn about how transits work, get an ephemeris (or find an online calculator, there are several, but watch who you give your birth data to) and any halfway decent transit cookbook and start there. Check for correlations of your experience with transiting aspects as they're described in whatever text you're using.
This is not something you're going to learn in a week or two. Expect it to take awhile (pack a lunch!).
The Pandora's box you're opening up is the whole subject of the timing of celestial influence, which is a lifetime study (at least one). Regardless of what anyone might tell you, transits by themselves are by no means the whole story, no matter how far into them you get. They are just the only element of timing that no one can argue about, since they are happening right over our heads, right now, in real time, synchronous with our experience.
This timing issue is a subject I've spent decades on. It's fascinating, tantalizing -- and appears to be endless.
So enjoy. Dig in. Be patient. And be honest with yourself whether something you read or encounter works or not.

JUPITERASC

[deleted duplicate post - Moderator]

Transits are one of the most popular techniques in astrology for predicting the future
although they can also be used to study events in the past and present. :)
- a detailed overview of the concept of transits
talking about how they work in practice

also then later some of the philosophical ramifications of the technique.

Last edited by a moderator:

FraterAC

They are just the only element of timing that no one can argue about, since they are happening right over our heads, right now, in real time, synchronous with our experience.
Like I said, they're just the only one that is synchronous with events. Not the most powerful or the most meaningful.

JUPITERASC

some useful links :)

Transits are one of the most popular techniques in astrology for predicting the future

although they can also be used to study events in the past and present. :)
- a detailed overview of the concept of transits
talking about how they work in practice

also then later some of the philosophical ramifications of the technique.

JUPITERASC

Attendees at a meeting of the Denver Astrology Group
share stories about transits they experienced over the past two years
- a discussion or workshop style meeting
where members share some of their stories about important transits
and notable events that have happened in their lives over the past two years :)

audience members come up to the mic and share their story
about a positive or negative transit that they experienced over the past couple of years
and how it was reflected in their life - great demonstration how different types of transits work

what astrologers look for, as well as how to talk to people about their birth chart.

FraterAC

Attendees at a meeting of the Denver Astrology Group
share stories about transits they experienced over the past two years
- a discussion or workshop style meeting
where members share some of their stories about important transits
and notable events that have happened in their lives over the past two years :)

audience members come up to the mic and share their story

about a positive or negative transit that they experienced over the past couple of years
and how it was reflected in their life - great demonstration how different types of transits work
what astrologers look for, as well as how to talk to people about their birth chart.

I've seen this video at least twice.
These are anecdotal stories based on eclipses, and none of them identify specific dates or events to specific transits. There is nothing in this video that correlates specific transits as causal. Everything in this video could also be related to the influence of secondary (major) or minor progressions, or for that matter, to returns, solar or lunar.
This video does not make a case for transits being the primary cause for specific events. These are all generalities for periods of experience in these people's lives.

Last edited:

FraterAC

These videos can be informative or entertaining, but they are no substitute for experience. If a person wants to know how to use transits, there is no other way than to try to use them. Apply whatever technique you have at hand rigorously and be honest about the results. Get some resources and use them.
If a person is serious about learning to understand the timing of celestial influences, they can expect to spend some time doing it. No amount of surfing websites is going to accomplish that. And they're going to learn there is more to the story than transits.

JUPITERASC

Astrology students also need to be aware that both progressions and transits can only be correctly interpreted
if we first have a sound understanding of the lessons we have the potential to learn during our lifetime ("natal promise")

- as revealed by a thorough analysis and understanding of our natal charts.

so check NATAL PROMISE :)

This is because each of the planets in a natal chart has a meaning that applies uniquely to the chart owner
- even in the case of two people born in the same location and at the same time.

Consequently, when a planet makes a "within-orb" progression or transit to a planet in our natal chart - it's effect will be determined by many factors that cannot be taken account of by even the best astrological "cookbooks", including what has happened to us in the past and what we have/have not learned from it.

For that reason, the first step in all predictive astrology is to obtain a sound astrological understanding of the natal chart - and modify this in the light of the native's life experiences to date - as knowing where we are going to (natal chart) and where we have been (experience) is essential to determining the direction in which we need to go now (progressions) and the experiences we are likely to encounter along the way (transits).