Harmonics

Arian Maverick

Although I tried to (temporarily) stuff my Virgo South Node in a burlap sack, it found a clever way of escaping and urged me to create this new board about harmonics instead of risking off-topic posting.

This question is for Radu, starting from where the 11:11 Phenonemon Board left off:

I'm getting a bit off-topic, but this conversation about harmonics has me intrigued...why weren't we simply born on the date used to create our harmonic chart, if indeed we have such a natural sensitivity to it?

Aquarian Maverick

pwadm

Staff member
Several possible answers:

- We are sensitive to all kinds of influences, so we get a general birth chart that may be used to pinpoint all of them, using the appropriate harmonic technique.

- Who said that planets must be drawn in the natal chart as we currently do now? This is only a conventional representation of the planets positions around the zodiac. The entire thing around the harmonic charts is that they show interactions between natal chart elements that aren't really connected in the traditional way of considering the natal chart.

Let me explain the last statement: what exactly does a trine represent in the 11th harmonic chart ?! Well, that aspect in the natal chart is actually a 3*11=33th harmonic aspect, that is 360/33=10.(90) degrees aspect. Since this aspect doesn't have a name you may name it after yourself, an aqumaverick aspect. So all your planets in the natal chart that are 10.9 degrees apart or multiples of that number are in aqumaverick aspect to each other. Such as Mars and Jupiter or Jupiter and Neptune.

This idea leads us to whole new bunch of other considerents such as: why do we bother to consider only 5 major aspects and a few other minor aspects when ALL PLANETS IN A CHART ARE IN SOME KIND OF ASPECT TO ANY OTHER, for any given arc distance.

Well, I hope this post not only didn't give you a definite answer, but created a few more questions, which I await unpatiently.

Arian Maverick

Let me explain the last statement: what exactly does a trine represent in the 11th harmonic chart ?! Well, that aspect in the natal chart is actually a 3*11=33th harmonic aspect, that is 360/33=10.(90) degrees aspect. Since this aspect doesn't have a name you may name it after yourself, an aqumaverick aspect. So all your planets in the natal chart that are 10.9 degrees apart or multiples of that number are in aqumaverick aspect to each other. Such as Mars and Jupiter or Jupiter and Neptune.

I loved the way you presented such an intelligent, informed discussion while using such a ridiculous name as an aquamaverick aspect :D

Unfortunately, any questions I might have thought of were smothered in a fit of giggles...I wonder how you would use this as a verb? Try saying in a straight tone that Mars is aqumavericked Jupiter, and see if you can resist cracking a smile :wink:

Now that I have somewhat recovered, another question has presented itself to my consciousness--what is the relationship, if any, between numerology and astrology? I have observed that harmonics seem to express the characteristics or influence of the number from which they are derived, but I suppose a more in-depth analyze would be needed to verify this idea.

Also, there are many different core numbers in astrology, such as one's lifepath number (9), destiny number (22), soul urge (1*), inner dreams (3*), and of course the date of birth (5). Would these core numbers be reflected by astrological harmonic charts?

Aquarian Maverick

P.S. By the way, my numbers are provided in the parenthesis in case you were wondering what they were for. Sometimes I become so excited by the subject manner that I forget to properly explain myself :roll:

*I'm not sure of my soul urge and inner dream numbers, because in my last name there's an h that seems to form one sound with the vowel before it; however, it is not on the list of consonants that can acts as vowels. Therefore, I'm still unsure if I should count it as a consonant or vowel.

pwadm

Staff member
Numerology is a different system than astrology. So, mixing apples with oranges won't result in anything else, but a tasty juice...

Interesting questions, though. We have letters - numbers correspondences.
When calculating our Destiny Number, we sum up all the numbers corresponding to letters and then reduce them to 0-9 plus the master numbers. In numerology, we HAVE TO reduce them, in order to find the appropriate category and get an interpretation.

But, in astrology, when we are about to use the harmonic charts in order to investigate our names, there is NO POINT in reducing them, we can calculate any harmonic chart we want.
Example: Aquarian Maverick sums up to 74. When computing the 74th harmonic chart derived from Beth's natal chart, there're some nice aspects that may explain why she choosed this nickname on this forum. For instance, the harmonic chart Ascendant is at 1 Pisces, conjunct with Forum's Mercury (that's the most important planet in the Forum's chart).
Also, in the 74th harmonic chart, Mercury (key planet on forums) is square Uranus, a perfect aspect to describe an 'Aquarian Maverick'.

I just tested this theory on myself and it seems to work very well, explaining for instance why I choose to introduce myself as 'Radu' instead of using both first names 'Radu Dan'. There're nice aspects to the Sun (personality) in the 17th harmonic chart (corresponding to 'Radu'), and hard aspects in the 27th harmonic chart (corresponding to 'Radu Dan').

This could be actually prove be a good hint on naming one's baby... I'll apply it on my own :)

Arian Maverick

This could be actually prove be a good hint on naming one's baby... I'll apply it on my own

Your wife's having a baby?! Congratulations! :D

Or perhaps I'm just getting overexcited and jumping to conclusions again...sorry about that :roll:

Anyway, I've heard it said numerous times that parents are able to intuitively choose the perfect name for their children, one which best resonates with this soul's energy. I think this is fascinating, since it is nearly impossible for those but the most gifted psychics to communicate with their unborn children and know exactly who this soul is--at least on a conscious level. But intuition is not limited to the linear constraints of our 3-D world...it surpasses all boundaries, since none really exist!

Example: Aquarian Maverick sums up to 74. When computing the 74th harmonic chart derived from Beth's natal chart, there're some nice aspects that may explain why she choosed this nickname on this forum. For instance, the harmonic chart Ascendant is at 1 Pisces, conjunct with Forum's Mercury (that's the most important planet in the Forum's chart).
Also, in the 74th harmonic chart, Mercury (key planet on forums) is square Uranus, a perfect aspect to describe an 'Aquarian Maverick'.

Wow, I can't believe all of these sychronicities...especially having my 74th harmonic chart Ascendant at the first degree of Pisces (spirituality)! Thanks again, Radu! :wink:

EDIT: I believe it took me less then a minute after posting this message to think of yet another question. Would there be any interesting effects by taking the sum of your full name and applying that harmonic to your natal chart? I'm incredibly curious to see how all of this may fit together...

Aquarian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Radu, do you know of any good books or websites about harmonics? I'm particularly interested in the grand trines that manifest in almost all of my first nine harmonic charts and the prominant Kite formation in my 7th and 10th...thanks! :mrgreen:

Aquarian Maverick

pwadm

Staff member
I heard that Harmonics in Astrology - John Addey and Harmonic Charts - David Hamblin are good books. Didn't read them though.

Arian Maverick

I don't know if everyone knows this already, but I discovered today that you can generate more harmonic charts than the first nine on Astrodienst...simply select harmonic chart (day -> harmonic number) and change the start date! :D

I can't believe I didn't realize this before...they should really create another option besides this :?

Aquarian Maverick

Draco

Hi Beth,

Download AstroWin in seconds, and you just enter whatever number that you fancy instead of having to mess about on AD.

AstroWin is reliable by the way, in case you saw my post where I questioned it, it's just I was entering the wrong timezone, as I'm prone to do. *groans* :roll:

I get easily baffled by the simplest of things, I'm sure it's to do with my fishy ascendant. :?

When you download AstroWin and have the icon on your desktop, click it, enter your chart details, 'OK' it, click on 'Wheels', click on 'Natal', then from the list it provides choose 'Harmonic' which is the 17th one down from the top. Then you put in any number, 11, 30, 666, 1000, 12345 - and you have your harmonic chart for any number you like. :)

Saves messing about on AD.

Draco :wink:

Futurist

Hiya

Can't give you an indepth lesson on harmonics due to time constraints but coincidentally, if you haven't read my last two articles, you may like to take a look . I have gone more deeply into the subject of harmonics (my last post even has a visual image of the 1st thru 5th harmonic.) to try and explain Periodicity (last article) and 'Harmony of The Spheres' (the one before).

In studying this branch of astrology (Harmonics) and paying only background attention to the rest, you will arrive at the key to the entire subject of astrology and numerology and how it fits into the Universe. I believe the whole Cosmos is founded on number (and harmony).

When we look at an astrological chart we are looking at a moment in time of a much greater unfolding. Every planet in our chart is resonating with something else, either harmoniously or discordantly. If we are born into a moment of discordance between two (or more) planets we respond (or resonate) to those chords throughout our lives BUT our lives unfold in cycles. Our lives will literally play out a tune in a greater symphony.

Astrology could therefore be described as the art of deducing if we are better sticking to percussion instruments or playing in the string quartet!!

pwadm

Staff member
Great posts, Kathryn! very interesting... I'm looking for more such connections with astrology. Couldn't you write a book with all details that interest me on the subject of harmonics? ;)

Arian Maverick

I have gone more deeply into the subject of harmonics (my last post even has a visual image of the 1st thru 5th harmonic.) to try and explain Periodicity (last article) and 'Harmony of The Spheres' (the one before).

Kathryn, where can I find these articles? I studied numerology quite a bit before I finally gathered up my courage and delved into astrology, so I am particularly interested in any correlation between the two practices :wink:

Thanks for sharing your great wealth of knowledge with others! :D

Aquarian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Hello everyone! :D

I have regained in harmonic astrology yet again, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the interpretation of my fourth harmonic chart. I am a bit concerned at the abundance of harmonious aspects as well as the central Kite formation with its focal point of Pluto....

This is an excerpt about the Fourth Harmonic from Bob Marks' Website.

The Fourth Harmonic: The 4th harmonic shows how we deal with stress, strain, and struggle. When you construct a 4th harmonic chart, all of the conjunction, square, and opposition aspects in the original horoscope appear as conjunctions and this makes them easier to see. Of course, these aspects are pretty easy to see in the original horoscope as well, so what's the point? The point is that the minor aspects, the semi-square (45 degrees) and sequa-square (135 degrees), which are difficult to spot by a quick visual inspection, now appear as oppositions, and can be seen at a glance. Not only that, but other minor stress aspects (22 ½ degrees, 67 ½ degrees, 157 ½ degrees), which can take a very long time to locate, now become squares. In the 4th harmonic, whole patterns of stress aspects can be spotted, and this gives you a big edge for interpretation.

The horoscope of Francisco Assis, the Brazilian serial killer who killed at least nine women, doesn't seem, at first, to be excessively violent. But when you look at Francisco's 4th Harmonic Chart, you see another story. The Sun is opposite Venus, which can give feelings of being unloved. Yes, but lots of people have that and they don't become serial killers. What they don't have is Uranus making square aspects in the 4th harmonic to both the Sun and Venus. Uranus can make one prone to sudden, hysterical outbursts. Still, everyone born that day had the same thing. What else is there here to drive him over the edge? The Ascendant also makes stress aspects. It opposes Uranus and squares both the Sun and Venus. This makes a Grand Cross, a rare and highly stressful pattern. The Ascendant is very sensitive to changes in the time of birth. In the 4th harmonic chart, this Grand Cross could only have formed in a time interval of about 20 minutes!

But there's more to come. Mercury (the mind) Mars (violence) and Saturn (depression) make a T-Cross formation (another stressful configuration) in the 4th harmonic as well. Once again though, everyone born that day had the same thing. Why is this case different? Take another look at the birth chart. There is a close semi-square between Mars and the cusp (beginning) of the 8th house (death). Not only that, but Mars rules the sign of Aries, which happens to be the sign on the cusp of the 12th house (psychological problems) as well. This is the classic 8th house-12th house connection frequently found in the charts of serial killers. Where does the 8th house cusp land in the 4th harmonic chart? Opposite Mars, with square aspects to both Mercury and Saturn. It forms another Grand Cross. And this too, could only have been formed in an interval of about 20 minutes. It could take hours to see this in a birth chart. In the 4th harmonic chart, the conclusion leaps out at you.

What happens though, if you have harmonious aspects (sextiles and trines) in a 4th harmonic chart? The best example of that comes from Hamblin's "Harmonic Charts." It is the horoscope of a little known French Marshal from World War I, Franchet d'Esperey. Hamblin claims that sextiles and trines in a 4th harmonic chart show "effort towards pleasure, or pleasure in effort." In other words, someone who likes stress, strain, and struggle. Hamblin quotes Gauquelin's description of him:

"...he drove cars at maniacal speed and shot windows when there was nothing better to shoot."

In d'Esperey's 4th Harmonic Chart, there is a Grand Trine between the Sun, Mars, and Pluto, a perfect aspect pattern for a soldier. A Moon/Venus conjunction sextiles the Sun and Pluto and opposes Mars, making for a Kite formation. Here is someone who had an emotional need (the Moon) for action and violence (Moon/Mars) and got a lot of pleasure from it (Moon/Venus).

Muhammad Ali's 4th Harmonic Chart also has a lot of harmonious aspects, especially to the Mid-Heaven. The Sun makes a sextile and the Moon a conjunction, and both aspects are within one degree of being exact. This means that stress, strain, and struggle are more likely to bring him before the public. The Mid-Heaven also has a trine from Jupiter and a sextile from Uranus. In Ali's Birth Chart, Jupiter rules the 5th house (sports and games) and Uranus rules his 7th house (open enemies), a perfect setup for someone to become famous through competitive sports.

Robert Blake, the actor arrested for his wife's murder, has a 4th Harmonic Chart with a highly stressful T-Cross formation. There is a conjunction of the Moon (feelings, emotions) and Neptune (imagination, film), which helped him in his film career, but it is opposite Pluto (extremes) and all three of these planets make a square to Jupiter (expansion and over optimism). There is hostility towards women here, and when his emotions go, they can really go (Moon, Jupiter, Pluto T-Cross), especially if he happens to be under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants (Neptune).

Look at this...Pluto opposes my Ascendant, my Midheaven, and Chiron, and trines my Sun/Venus/Mercury conjunction as well as Mars. This cannot be a good thing :(

Arian Maverick

unukalhai

I mainly use the 8th, 12th, and 16th harmonic charts.

in the 8th harmonic, tight-orbed oppositions, squares, semisquares and sesquiquadrates show up as conjunctions.

In the 12th, Semisextiles, sextiles, squares, trines, quincunxs and oppositions (all the major "30 degree" aspects) show up as conjunctions.

In the 16th, all the 8th harmonic aspects, plus 22.5, 67.5, 112.5, and 157.5 show up as conjunctions.

This makes finding aspects in the chart very easy, as conjunctions are most obvious.

I've never paid much attention to aspects in a harmonic chart... They can be somewhat misleading.. For example, a 1st harmonic (actual) semisextile is a trine in the 4th harmonic.

What I do find to work, relating to angular placement in harmonic charts, is midpoints. unlike aspects, midpoints totally change in a harmonic chart.. and thus they are the most sound indicator of energy flow in a harmonic chart.

Harmonic midpoints function just like regular midpoints, except that they function stronger in the specific sort of experience indicated by the harmonic.

The meaning of each harmonic chart can be taken directly from the numerology of the harmonic, or the meaning of the aspect it is based upon. As such, The 4th harmonic is considered the "challenge" harmonic because it lines up with the 4/360 aspect, 90 degrees, the square, aspect of challenge.

StarrySkies

Ahh!! I just realized that my 4th Harmonic chart is full of stressful aspects! :eek: I have Sun opposing Venus and Ascendant like that serial killer, and a T-cross involving Mars, Pluto, and MC opposing Moon and Uranus squared by the aforementioned Sun and Moon.

achart_t1efilePqtZdg-u1154215110-2.gif

P.S. I just read Unukalkai's post...I missed it in my posting frenzy. I will now head off to find some midpoints. :)

Last edited: