The Astrology of Helen Keller

aquarius7000

Hello,

I thought it might be interesting to study the chart of Helen Keller, which I am putting on the Med Astrology board for obvious reasons (though she is nothing short of a celebrity, of course :)).

Here are her chart and story: https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Keller,_Helen.

What jumps out is that risen Uranus (uniqueness,surpassing limitations and boundaries) in her chart, angular and sextiling her Sun (personality), and, was Hellen Keller one unique personality that surpassed all (severe physical) limitations and learnt five languages, as well as became a lecturer herself. Hers was a total transformation (Pluto) of her self (Asc). That Pluto that left her with a chronic impairment (Plu opp Asc) as a baby (Asc), perhaps also transformed her and her life into what she became.

Aries is said to rule the eyes, in general, whilst, individually, the Sun is said to rule the left eye in females and the Moon the right (vice versa with males).
In the native's chart, the Sun (physical vitality, basic personality, also self-reliance) is in the dark 8th house, modified by Uranus (uniqueness, other than the usual) and in conj with Venus (relations with others, equilibrium), but Ven is also in the dark 8th house. The Moon is aspected by Nep (the outers are considered malefic), sitting in the malefic 6th house of sickness. The ruler of the 6th house is in the dark 8th house and combust. In the sign of Aries sits Saturn (in its sign of detriment), along with Jupiter. Mars (ruler of Aries and the head) is debilated by the 6th house Nep.

There is lots more to be said about her chart, but maybe others would also like to have a go at it.

:)AQ7

Last edited:

Moog

Re: The Astrology of Hellen Keller

I did a little research into Helen's chart once, let me see if I kept what I got.

Moog

The first thing that got my attention was the super tight Ketu/Sun conjunction in the 8th house (I use a sidereal zodiac/whole sign houses)

From Brighu Sutras:
“If the Sun at birth is unfavourably placed and is otherwise undignified, the native is inclined… to sickness of a feverish inflammatory nature, eye affliction and heart disorders."

The second was that the Ascendant ruler Mars, is fallen in Cancer. But more than simply being fallen, her Mars is in a special degree known as mrityu-bhaga

The first house is thought to be significant for the head area, brain and major sense organs.

Some info here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...EwAA#v=onepage&q=what is mrityu bhaga&f=false

MB Tables; http://www.ancientindianastrology.c...yu-bhaga&catid=36:nirayana-jyotisha&Itemid=59

I thought there might be something significant about the transit of Rahu into the 1st house at the time of her affliction.

I didn't get very far into these studies, just some ideas really.

aquarius7000

Hello,

The first thing that got my attention was the super tight Ketu/Sun conjunction in the 8th house (I use a sidereal zodiac/whole sign houses)....

Yes, that is a very good point. The Nodes, can cause a lot of trouble, and here is an e.g. of it. The conj of the S.Node to the Sun is exact, in the malefic 8th house, and a quintile to the Moon (which is in a sign of low vitality), so both lights are affected. The second house is also said to be the right eye, and, if the N. Node (Rahu) is there in it, the right eye may be defective.

Note that when in her 19th month of age, she contracted the brain fever that left her deaf, mute and blind, tr Mars (fever, inflammation, and ruler of head/brain) was retrograde (rx) and sitting on her Sun (left eye) and Ven (her 6th-house ruler, and ruler of the Aural duct plus Eustachian tubes) in her 8th house (chronic illnesses and infections); and was quintiling her Moon (right eye). At the same time, natal Mars was being squared by Nep and Jup, both rx, from her 6th house. Tr Sat was sitting rx on the tip of her 6th house. Tr Uranus rx was in an exact opp to the Moon in the 4th. The Nodes themselves were transiting/opposing her first house (physical self). So, a lot of activity was on. Progressed Moon had long entered the sign of Mars, Aries, and was on the tip of the 5th house (house of Leo/self-realisation and confidence).

Her effect on others:
Interesting to note also is the fact that both others (7th house, her teacher) were to deeply transform (Pluto on Dsc) her life and she was to do the same through the funds she raised and institutions she built, etc for the blind. Not to mention that through her remarkable achievements (Uranus risen on MC) she was not only a unique (Uranian) personality, but also had a profound and enigmatic (Pluto) effect on others (7th house). Note also that with that Virgo (teaching) MC, she became a unique (Uranus) teacher of to the deaf and blind, being that herself. And, of course, the Nep (sacrifice and social work) in her 6th (service to others), in a wide trine to her MC, made her indulge heavily into social work, with Mars (also affected by Nep) in the 9th taking her overseas in a big way to raise funds for the needy. Along with her Scorpio (determination) Asc (of self), that Leo (self-confidence and optimism for which she was known) Mars (will-power) in the 9th (travel, also higher studies esp through her Mer in 9th), modified by Jup (achieve the big) in the 5th (self realisation, natural house of Leo) made her believe in herself and fight the odds.

Normally they say, if you are to shine in life, look at the Sun. Despite her debilated Sun, she had the Sun related factors, Leo and 5th house that helped her become one of the most famous people, and for us, one of most interesting charts to study.

:)AQ7

Last edited:

Shanti

Yes, that is a very good point. The Nodes, can cause a lot of trouble, and here is an e.g. of it. The conj of the S.Node to the Sun is exact, in the malefic 8th house, and a quintile to the Moon (which is in a sign of low vitality), so both lights are affected. The second house is also said to be the right eye, and, if the N. Node (Rahu) is there in it, the right eye may be defective.

Note that when in her 19th month of age, she contracted the brain fever that left her deaf, mute and blind, tr Mars (fever, inflammation, and ruler of head/brain) was retrograde (rx) and sitting on her Sun (left eye) and Ven (her 6th-house ruler, and ruler of the Aural duct plus Eustachian tubes) in her 8th house (chronic illnesses and infections

Yes good points everyone.

I think that what can also be significant in this issue is that in vedic astrology Venus is ruling vision and sight in general.
Venus in the planet in 8th with ketu, quite afflicted too, indicating blindness.

Moog

Yes good points everyone.

I think that what can also be significant in this issue is that in vedic astrology Venus is ruling vision and sight in general.
Venus in the planet in 8th with ketu, quite afflicted too, indicating blindness.

Aha, interesting. As the planet of sensuality, it does make sense that Venus would have an association with the eyes and senses generally (how else would we perceive beauty?)

Venus is combust and with Ketu. She is aspected by Saturn. She's also in a mrityu bhaga degree, and she is the 12th ruler (loss) placed in the 8th

Barbara Pijan uses these keywords in relation with the 8th house; "covering, clouded, occluded, occult", which takes on a literal meaning in the case of Keller's senses.

Mrityu means (among other things) 'a state of being dead'

Shanti

Mrityu means (among other things) 'a state of being dead'

Yes Mrityu Bhaga has showed to get tangible results in medical astrology as a negative factor for involved planets.
Venus is much afflicted by all mentioned points.

aquarius7000

If someone could find the chart of her teacher, Anne Sullivan, it would be fantastic to study and compare their extraordinary teacher-student relationship.