How does Mercury retrograde affect you?

Osamenor

Staff member
Or does it?

With the next Mercury retrograde about to start, I thought I'd open a topic for real experiences with Mercury retrograde. Not just fears and superstitions.

Personally, I never notice a significant difference between Mercury retrograde and Mercury direct. Mercury-type things, like communication and going somewhere, don't seem to ***** up for me any more when Mercury is retrograde than when it's direct.

But some people say they always know when Mercury is retrograde because xyz reliably goes wrong for them.

Now, if there's a Mercury retrograde happening along with other strong energies that affect everything, I might be affected just because I'm around. For example, the last Mercury retrograde in Sagittarius involved an out of bounds Mercury, and that one was a retrograde on steroids. My workplace had a sudden crash of the phone and computer systems, which shut down the project we were working on because it was heavily dependent on those systems. (We did finish it later, but there were several days in there of not being able to work.) But that wasn't something happening to me personally so much as it was happening around me.

What about you? Do you find that a certain something always happens to you during Mercury retrograde? Or does it just pass unnoticed, except maybe for having it talked about on astrology sites?

Hkk

Account Closed
I find the more I avoid confrontation the more I get confrontational situations! So nowadays I don’t avoid anything and ensure my communication is clear. I think In the past I had merc ret issues due to unresolved issues. If we avoid growth then that ret will affect.

conspiracy theorist

The misshap/misfiring allowed for a deeper understanding of a process that is not thought about or taken for granted because it was never an issue when it ran smoothly - and isn't this said to be one of the effects of retrograde planets natally?

Osamenor

Staff member
My question is, how do you personally experience Mercury retrograde? More communication failures, breakdowns, etc. happening to you personally than they do otherwise? Or no real discernible difference?

Of course, since planetary transits are a global thing, they will affect global things. Like Facebook.

conspiracy theorist

I have noted issues with mercury related things during the retrograde period, but they were contextualized in a life that usually has some problem or challenge that needs to o be contended with, so those issues tend to be minor enough to fall under my consciousness radar, although I do notice its appropriateness to the transits going on, in this case the Mercury Retrograde.

In the last retrograde period, something positive actually happened that was right in line with the symbology of the transit. Three cellular phones that I thought were either damaged or irreparable came back into my possession, and two out of 3 of them were actually working. (I currently use one of them now). It was great, because I could save the money for something else significant.

Osamenor

Staff member
I have noted issues with mercury related things during the retrograde period, but they were contextualized in a life that usually has some problem or challenge that needs to o be contended with, so those issues tend to be minor enough to fall under my consciousness radar, although I do notice its appropriateness to the transits going on, in this case the Mercury Retrograde.
I think your experience is probably mine, more or less. There's been at least one Mercury retrograde when I had a serious communication issue with someone that resulted in clearing major misunderstandings. But I've also had those experiences when Mercury was not retrograde. And don't get me wrong, those kinds of issues are not constant in my life, just something that happens from time to time.

If those communication breakdowns were always Mercury retograde-related, significantly more than a fifth of them would happen during Mercury retograde. I'm not sure that's the case.

In the last retrograde period, something positive actually happened that was right in line with the symbology of the transit. Three cellular phones that I thought were either damaged or irreparable came back into my possession, and two out of 3 of them were actually working. (I currently use one of them now). It was great, because I could save the money for something else significant.
Hmmm... over the last couple weeks, my phone broke down. Turned out it just needed a new sim card. But then the activation of the new sim card didn't go quite the way it should, so I had to spend some extra time with tech support.

And that's before the Mercury retrograde. I wonder if it's some of that energy. Or eclipse energy, maybe.

In the same time period, I worked a brief gig and they didn't pay by the promised date. I reached out and was told it was delayed due to "technical issues." Also seems Mercury retrograde-like, but again, happened in the preshadow.

conspiracy theorist

There was also a lot of harsh energetic configurations in the sky for the past few weeks, so inconveniences and disruptions seems about par for the course. If that was the extent of your problems, then you are one of the lucky ones.

Osamenor

Staff member
There was also a lot of harsh energetic configurations in the sky for the past few weeks, so inconveniences and disruptions seems about par for the course. If that was the extent of your problems, then you are one of the lucky ones.
No, actually, there have been multiple inconveniences and disruptions for me. Those are just the most recent ones and the most Mercury retrograde-like.

conspiracy theorist

No, actually, there have been multiple inconveniences and disruptions for me. Those are just the most recent ones and the most Mercury retrograde-like.

Ah, makes sense to me. Your natal Saturn would be in the line of fire from the recent transits. My comment came from the line where you mentioned the eclipse - an invitation to a tangential discussion on the what exactly is the "origin" of disruption in astrological terms. There is something major going on in my life right now, and a major impediment in the course of events are Mercury related, but from a broader perspective the issues aren't mercurial in their heart. Ironically the issue began on the first day of the Mercury Pre-Shadow period.

Hkk

Account Closed

Communication issues that come to the forefront when they have not previously been ‘dealt’ with. Mercury ret is good for us. Unfinished business. So think about the things that you have avoided. Those will keep coming back and may seem harsh but it’s for us to grow.

Chrysalis

Mercury rx, ALWAYS has an effect on me, because of this ive become obsessed with tracking Mercurys cycle.

For me it causes mainly communication difficulties with others, which is either me cutting contact with someone and never speaking to them again, arguments and misunderstandings,txts that get misinterpreted. And at times it can cause me to reconnect with someone ive previously cut contact with.

The previous one we had, on the 1st day of the retrograde (6th March), my ex who id not seen for 2 years turned up out of the blue on my door step telling me he's finished things with the girl he was with. On this day though, it was also a NM and Uranus had just ingressed into Taurus...so it was probably a combination of energies that caused that.

And funnily enough mercury went rx at 29 pisces the degree of endings, i never took my ex back, i told him i was now with someone else.

Osamenor

Staff member
Mercury rx, ALWAYS has an effect on me, because of this ive become obsessed with tracking Mercurys cycle.
Have you also tracked Mercury retrograde periods in retrospect? Looked back over the Merc retrogrades that happened before you became aware of the concept? Were the same kinds of things going on then, too?

I'm wondering if your awareness of Mercury retrograde makes this happen (or at least makes you notice it, but not notice so much if the same things happen when Mercury is direct), or if you became aware because it already was happening. Chicken or egg question.

ardentika

I've never felt much effects other than my computer and phone suddenly start to act up.

Virgos become very inadequate and forgetful.

Frisiangal

Hi Everyone,
A story.:smile:

My son has his natal Mercury exact Ascendant on 3AQ43, sextile Neptune on 4SG57 in 9th within 15 mins. of arc conjunct M.C.

Holidays approaching and his younger sister suggested a family barbecue before everyone goes in their separate directions. He's just had his garden redone, so he 'willingly' made it available so everyone could see the result. Personal diaries made 7th July the only date possible for everyone.

He's a keen football fan. The 'joke' was made what would happen if the Dutch Ladies football team reached the W.C. final played on 7th July, as everyone would sit inside to watch. In all honesty, no one expected them to get so far.

My son showed his 'male chauvinism' side. Ladies football? Not important, but he was outnumbered by mum, sisters, nieces, as well as the other males in the family, who all wanted to nail bite and watch the final (dressed in orange!) should they qualify. They did!
By coincidence, his partner is a Pisces Sun, uninterested in football.

A week back he texted that as everyone wanted to watch football he would not host the barbecue. Phone call from is younger sister (Libra Sun)
who has transferred the afternoon to her home. Open garden doors allow easy movement between t.v. and garden for those who wanted to watch the match. Son agreed they would be there.

Pisces rules the feet. So wouldn't Neptune represent the game/player(s), with Sagittarius the 'foreign' element?

Friday, with Mercury reaching 4LE in his 7th house opp. itself and trine natal Neptune, he texted they would not be coming! Seems 'listening to' partner's influence may have held more weight (natal Saturn in 3rd opp. Neptune?)

Tr. Mercury turned retrograde today in his 7th house.
His family has become very important to him in the years since his traumatic divorce.
Aquarius (also his Sun) is always full of sudden surprises. Could retrograde Mercury represent a change of mind on his part?
I won't be at all surprised if he turns up after all, with a big grin on his face and dressed in his orange outfit!

Frisiangal

Aquarius (also his Sun) is always full of sudden surprises. Could retrograde Mercury represent a change of mind on his part?
I won't be at all surprised if he turns up after all

He was the first to arrive!
Stayed for coffee and cake but left again before football started to pick up stepson somewhere.
Seems those plans were sudden and had changed overnight as well. :smile:

Chrysalis

Have you also tracked Mercury retrograde periods in retrospect? Looked back over the Merc retrogrades that happened before you became aware of the concept? Were the same kinds of things going on then, too?
The merc rx issues ive been aware of, have been ever since ive been into Astrology, so the last two years of merc rx periods ive been aware of. Obviously communication issuses will happen with me at other times too.
I'm wondering if your awareness of Mercury retrograde makes this happen (or at least makes you notice it, but not notice so much if the same things happen when Mercury is direct), or if you became aware because it already was happening. Chicken or egg question.

I don't think me being aware of merc rx makes this happen, no.
With my merc rx's its mostly to do with reaching back out to someone, which is either me doing the reaching out, or the other person getting in contact with me somehow. I have a tendency to cut contact with people for whatever reason, maybe its to do with my my mercury in Leo but i could seriously never speak to this person ever again, i can be very stubborn. So either the other person ends up somehow getting in contact with me or its me [reluctantly] reaching back out to them. Theres usually been some time period that me and the certain person have not spoken for, this could be for a number of reasons, like i mentioned before, the previous retrograde was my ex turning up who id not seen for just over 2 years.

Ive noticed mercury rx doesn't need to be aspecting anything in my chart either for this to happen. But i do have natal merc rx in Leo in my 7th house, which seems to paint the picture for the Transit merc rx i experience.

Gemini888

I don't feel any difference until the latest Pisces Merc rx. Maybe it also depends on the sign of transit Merc? I'm guessing that my chart doesn't particularly like Pisces.

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't feel any difference until the latest Pisces Merc rx. Maybe it also depends on the sign of transit Merc? I'm guessing that my chart doesn't particularly like Pisces.
Do you have any placements in the later half of any mutable sign?

If you do, that Pisces Mercury retrograde would've conjuncted, squared, or opposed them.

Osamenor

Staff member
Ive noticed mercury rx doesn't need to be aspecting anything in my chart either for this to happen. But i do have natal merc rx in Leo in my 7th house, which seems to paint the picture for the Transit merc rx i experience.

Interesting that you have natal Mercury retrograde. Maybe that makes you more sensitive to Mercury retrograde periods?