Natal mercury vs transiting mercury vs progressed mercury

FadiMazboudi

Progressed Mercury is the most important, because it can set off major events.

In secondary progressions, like Mercury/Venus (in orbs) could indicate marriage. Mercury/Jupiter, long distance travel or change of address etc...

Transiting Mercury indicates everyday life events, the meeting of a friend or having conversations with other people.

Natal Mercury indicates a myriad of things: how a person assimilates information or expresses oneself through communication among other things.

JUPITERASC

Whats the difference between the three,

anyone know?
Progressed Mercury is the most important, because it can set off major events.
In secondary progressions, like Mercury/Venus (in orbs) could indicate marriage. Mercury/Jupiter, long distance travel or change of address etc...
Transiting Mercury indicates everyday life events, the meeting of a friend or having conversations with other people.

Natal Mercury indicates a myriad of things:
how a person assimilates information
or expresses oneself through communication among other things.
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=920697#post920697

Mercury completes 46 sidereal cycles and 145 synodic cycles with 46 years.

It has retreating arcs of 12 degrees for 20 days.

Mercury is alternating between moistening and drying, and common. Stilbon makes those born under it sallow, of moderate height, graceful, with beautiful eyes, moderately curling hair, having excess of moist when morning rising, and light, with straight hair and olive complexion, lean and spare, glancing brilliant eyes, somewhat ruddy, having excess of dry when evening rising, and in general, youthful and athletic, articulate, versatile, intelligent, tricky, busy, curious and efficient. Mercury controls law, intelligence, speech, reason, commerce, youth, education, writing, games, disputation, brotherhood, interpretation, messengers, numbers, calculation, geometry, deception, theft, community, exercise, service, profit, inventions, attendance, athletics, wrestling, hearing, declamation, certification, supervision, weighing and measuring, testing coins, versatility, critical thinking, judgement, marketing, banking, temple builders, modelers, sculptors, doctors, teachers, lawyers, orators, philosophers, architects, musicians, diviners, dream interpreters, sacrificers and augurs, astrologers, prophets, braiders, weavers, weight lifters, gamblers, mimes, sleight of hand, methodical work, military strategy, labour contracting, rhythmic performance, authority, luxury, renting, display of public service, irregular and disturbed outcomes with malefics, the vestibular system, the gustatory system, the auditory system, currency, copper, varied colours and pungent tastes. It is chronocrator over childhood up to the 14th year.

Bibliography:
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London. Retrieved from
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

Osamenor

Staff member
Natal Mercury is the Mercury piece of your birth chart. It's the foundation for everything else Mercury does, and it stays the same throughout your life. Transits to natal Mercury highlight Mercury sorts of things--communication, perception, hands (Mercury rules the hands), short trips, plus matters related to the house that your natal Mercury is in and the house(s) it rules. Its placement and aspects tell us how Mercury works for you in general.

Transiting Mercury puts a brief Mercurial touch on whatever part of your chart it's transiting. Because Mercury moves fast, except when it's retrograde or stationing, most Mercury transits only last a couple of days, give or take. That's not enough to have a very strong, life changing kind of transit--for that, you need one of the slow moving planets--but it can be a trigger for themes related to slower moving transits that are happening at the same time.

If transiting Mercury retrogrades over one of your natal planets or points, or in aspect to it, you get a reinforced Mercury theme, because that transit happens three times: once before the retrograde, once during, and once after. A couple of examples I can point to for myself: I joined this forum as Mercury was stationing retrograde just past my MC, which meant I was getting three Mercury transits to my MC that time around. I became a moderator at the end of a Mercury retrograde that gave me three Mercury crossings of my AC.

Progressed Mercury is like a Mercury version of a slow moving transit. Assuming you're talking about secondary progressions, which are the most frequently used kind, progressed Mercury moves a degree or two per year (less if it's stationing or retrograde). If there was a Mercury retrograde within however many days after your birth equals however many years old you are now, you have (or have had) a progressed Mercury retrograde. If you were born during a Mercury retrograde, your Mercury turns direct by progression when the years in your age equal the days old you were when the Mercury retrograde you were born in ended. Since Mercury retrogrades last three weeks, that means you would have Mercury direct by progression by age 21 at the latest.

Changes in direction by p-Mercury, or by any progressed planet, correlate with highly significant times in your life. So do the times when a progressed planet changes signs, conjoins a natal planet, crosses an angle, or aspects a natal planet.