Is my calculation right?

MissScorpio

Would someone mind telling me if my calculation is right? I was trying to work out the distance between my Mars and my Venus.
Mars Virgo – 15 degrees
Venus Capricorn – 12 degrees
150 + 15 - 165
270+ 12 - 282
282-165
=
There is 117 degrees difference from my Mars to my Venus?

The_Saturnian

Correct!

Just to check:

Mars is @ 15 degrees Virgo
Venus is @ 12 degrees Capricorn

15 degrees Virgo to 15 degrees Libra = 30 degrees
15 degrees Libra to 15 Scorpio = 30 degrees
15 degrees Scorpio to 15 degrees Sagittarius = 30 degrees
15 degrees Sagittarius to 15 degrees Capricorn = 30 degrees

Grand total = 4 X 30 = 120 degrees (i.e. trine)

Venus is at 12 degrees however, so:

15 degrees Capricorn - 12 degrees Capricorn = 3 degrees

therefore,

120 degrees - 3 degrees difference in Capricorn - 117 degrees.

Hence correct. :)

greybeard

You have two Earth signs, Virgo and Capricorn.
Signs of the same Element are in trine to each other.
Venus is 3 degrees less into Capricorn than Mars into Virgo.
Therefore, 120-3=117.
The trine is applying (Venus moves forward 3 degrees to perfect the trine to Mars.)

Now, to find the midpoint, Venus/Mars=117/2=58d, 30m
Mars at 15 Virgo + 58 1/2 = 73 Virgo 30 = 13 Scorpio 30, the midpoint of Venus/Mars.

The_Saturnian

Thank you greybeard for demonstrating the calculation of both planetary pair midpoints of both planets in this instance. :) I'm studying Midpoints at the moment and just finished Sun/Uranus last night.

The_Saturnian

It's easy. Just think of each planetary combination and what adjectives/nouns that can be associated with each and eventually you'll work it out. Also having a list of Sun Signs details to hand will be additional help.

E.g. a Sun-Uranus with Venus at the top of the midpoint tree. Sun brightens/illuminates the qualities of planets, Uranus is something to do with shock/disruption/suddenness/change/capriciousness and Venus is relationships/love/sex/personal possessions. So the connection is between the 3 planets involved in the midpoint tree. I.e. such a subject will probably have an erratic/capricious love life constantly falling in and out of love. Simples! :joyful:

greybeard

The midpoint of a planetary pair has no meaning unless occupied by another planet -- natal or transiting (including progressed and directed.)

Midpoint structures are generally of secondary importance. Aspects are, in most cases, stronger.

Reinhold Ebertin put out a book on generalized meanings of midpoints -- The Combination of Stellar Influences. It is the seminal work in the field. Michael Munkasey also published Midpoints, built on the work of Ebertin and his own experience. This book has the added bonus of showing how to use "keywords" in combination (by example, without explanation,) a very useful skill.

As with aspects, cookbooks can only give general guidance to interpretation. The midpoint structure must take into account sign and house, the lords of the three planets, the importance of the midpoint formation relative to the whole chart, etc. Each midpoint formation is very much "chart specific."

One way to approach the interpretation is to "read" the two outer planets individually first (giving meaning to "Mars", rather than just thinking "Mars"). It is meaningless to say, "I have Pluto at the midpoint of Mars and Moon" without understanding what Mars and Moon -- in the particular chart under study -- mean of themselves. Reading midpoints is complex.

I suspect you are studying midpoints prematurely. It is very important, before proceeding into more advanced areas of study, to first master the fundamental building blocks of astrology: Planets, signs, houses, aspects. These are the 4 basic tools of astrology and are far more complicated than most folks give them credit for (so they study them superficially and let it go at that.) For example, do you fully understand the Qualities (Modes) and Elements, of which each sign is a unique combination? Qualities and Elements are among the most fundamental and important symbol-systems in astrology, and study of them will yield far greater benefit (understanding) than study of midpoints, especially when still limited by lack of experience.

The Qualities and Elements (as one example) in astrology portray fundamental and universal characteristics of the person under study. The midpoints give superficial and specific information. Fundamental characteristics always predominate, and determine the expression of those horoscopic factors farther down in the hierarchy of power. They create "the context" in which the less fundamental factors will operate and to which they are subject.

Midpoints can be useful in interpretation even without giving them a specific interpretation. They can be used simply as pointers. For example, in my own chart I have a wide-spread and rather irregular grouping of seven planets. At one edge of this group is Mars, at the other Moon. The two planets are not in aspect. But at their midpoint stands Pluto. Now it is "as if" Moon and Mars are in aspect, with Pluto the mediating planet -- the "third party" who brings Moon and Mars together in common cause, whether for good or for evil. The midpoint formation brings the chart to a center -- it "points" to the central issue in the chart and provides the structure or framework on which the interpretation can be based. Because of its centralizing function in the chart, this midpoint structure is far more significant than other such structures in the chart. One of the problems in using midpoints is assigning each of them their proper place in the chart -- their relative importance or significance related to the whole. Not all midpoints are equal.

Last edited:

MissScorpio

Hi - and thanks for this info, very useful.

Yes, I do indeed understand the full qualities, modes and elements. I understand all of astrology and have passed my exam for this - but the next section for me is midpoints/harmonics etc - so you are right, I am trying to get a head start!

The_Saturnian

Oh yes Saturnian I get all that, but I don't understand how to work them out mathematically, is there an online calculator?

Not sure. You could try and Google the net for a formula. I do happen to have the formula in my book as to how to calculate it. It's quite straight forward, but pretty lengthy to type out. Once you've calculated the direct and individual planetary midpoints, the indirect ones and the planetary pair midpoints are easy to follow.

Lin

You don't need special software to do midpoints. You can get the graph for free on Astrodienst.... just sign up (free), put in your birth info, and go to the "extended chart selection" and one of the prompts will be the midpoint graph.
LIN

The_Saturnian

You don't need special software to do midpoints. You can get the graph for free on Astrodienst.... just sign up (free), put in your birth info, and go to the "extended chart selection" and one of the prompts will be the midpoint graph.
LIN

I'd been looking all over the web for a site that plots midpoints natally and didn't realise it was under my nose the whole time. :cool:

greybeard

With ten planets and the nodes there are 55 midpoints.
Calculating them by hand is easier than astrodienst?
The time spent in calculation could be used more advantageously in interpreting the meaning of significant midpoints.

Not to mention all the pencils you will use up.

The_Saturnian

With ten planets and the nodes there are 55 midpoints.
Calculating them by hand is easier than astrodienst?
The time spent in calculation could be used more advantageously in interpreting the meaning of significant midpoints.

Not to mention all the pencils you will use up.

:happy: Indeed it will. It would be much easier to identify which natal/transiting/progressed planets are influenced by a planetary midpoint pair. I need to get a protractor and a midpoint template to begin with. :bandit: