People act like aging is the worst thing that can happen LOL

Thirdteenth

Mirror

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful ‚
The eye of a little god, four-cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.

Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.

- Sylvia Plath
- https://allpoetry.com/poem/8498499-Mirror-by-Sylvia-Plath

Wowzers...that is such a beautiful poem.

JUPITERASC

second-universal-truth-everything-changes-except-my-catbox

Ukpoohbear

Wowzers...that is such a beautiful poem.

Yes it is beautiful and enigmatic. I personally prefer the other poem for its more straightforward language but this poem has a lovely poetic and imaginary concept: seeing things from the perspective of a mirror.

It kinda reminds me of a teenager book I read, one of those Goosebumps style books. It was about a mirror where the character made a deal with it for secret powers like beauty and popularity in return for become a mirror and allowing the mirror to become her but it eventually started to take over her life.

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

I think the other poem describes nicely what it must be like to age physically but still feel young inside. I imagine that’s how it feels for everyone who ages. Youthful people don’t get it and we think if they look old, they also feel old and we distance ourselves from them.

Last edited:

Thirdteenth

I wonder what that mirror felt being a teenage girl all day? Did it adopt all of her problems, insecurities and boy troubles too? Or was it like a spirit attached to the mirror that jumped into the girl’s body? Goosebumps was such a strange show :andy:

Thirdteenth

I think the other poem describes nicely what it must be like to age physically but still feel young inside. I imagine that’s how it feels for everyone who ages. Youthful people don’t get it and we think if they look old, they also feel old and we distance ourselves from them.

That for sure is not how everyone will react when they age. Maybe for a few but everyone? Nah...those who are uncomfortable with the idea of aging will feel similar to what the above poem described. A man so uncomfortable in their own skin that they almost dissociate with themselves.

ElenaJ

Probably a lot of women would accept ageing if they consider the alternative.
Marilyn Monroe never had a chance to worry about ageing.

Dirius

I think that as people get older, they realize that life isn't what they hoped it be, and try to regain some of the time lost.

You are young bunraku, you'll understand when you turn 30. I don't disagree with your point, but its normal for some people to feel unhappy. People just put to much expectation on life.

Also, a healthy diet and excersice works much better than botox or plastic surgery in any case, and its cheaper. I know people in their 40's and close to their 50's who look much younger, due to a healthy lifestyle.

Ukpoohbear

I wonder what that mirror felt being a teenage girl all day? Did it adopt all of her problems, insecurities and boy troubles too? Or was it like a spirit attached to the mirror that jumped into the girl’s body? Goosebumps was such a strange show :andy:

The mirror was a spiritual, non-human entity, like a genie, and didn’t adopt the usual human insecurities and was able to get further with the boy the girl liked, which she appreciated at first, until she felt more and more left out while being a mirror.

Ukpoohbear

That for sure is not how everyone will react when they age. Maybe for a few but everyone? Nah...those who are uncomfortable with the idea of aging will feel similar to what the above poem described. A man so uncomfortable in their own skin that they almost dissociate with themselves.

It is likely a mix between feeling ignored by age and feeling released from having to live up to an ideal. But when I thought of being old, I was imagining being in your 80s etc. Surely by jay age you will feel more and more ignored and left out, even in pain through illness or atharitis and faced with questions about your own mortality.

But yes, as Elena pointed out too, it’s also a blessing to grow old.

One thing I would like about being old is being the last one standing when it comes to my enemies :lol:

ElenaJ

One downside is that you see the others little by little pass on and you are left always more and more alone with memories.

CapAquaPis

We're living longer and aging slower than previous generations before us, we should not feel bad about getting older. This is an Aquarian age phenomenon with the essence of the planet of aging and wisdom: Saturn (Capricorn ruler). And it's not about you never ask a woman her age, you learned in life that age is just a number.

JUPITERASC

I think that as people get older, they realize that life isn't what they hoped it be, and try to regain some of the time lost.

You are young bunraku, you'll understand when you turn 30. I don't disagree with your point, but its normal for some people to feel unhappy. People just put to much expectation on life.

Also, a healthy diet and excersice works much better than botox or plastic surgery in any case, and its cheaper. I know people in their 40's and close to their 50's who look much younger, due to a healthy lifestyle.
10dk8j.jpg

76883425.jpg

Ukpoohbear

Probably a lot of women would accept ageing if they consider the alternative.
Marilyn Monroe never had a chance to worry about ageing.

Marilyn Monroe’s career was in decline by the ‘60’s and she probably would have probably faded into oblivion if she had not have died young. With her NN in 12th house Cancer, I like to think, had she lived, she would have totally transformed into a different person but perhaps, that astrological signature also implies her early death, which was another type of oblivion.

Bunraku

Uhh expectations such as what?

Bunraku

The mirror was a spiritual, non-human entity, like a genie, and didn’t adopt the usual human insecurities and was able to get further with the boy the girl liked, which she appreciated at first, until she felt more and more left out while being a mirror.

The mirror watches you while you shower ;)

See? We all deserve someone who thinks that we’re THAT sexy :)

Bunraku

Marilyn Monroe’s career was in decline by the ‘60’s and she probably would have probably faded into oblivion if she had not have died young. With her NN in 12th house Cancer, I like to think, had she lived, she would have totally transformed into a different person but perhaps, that astrological signature also implies her early death, which was another type of oblivion.

I don’t like her at all. She became a symbol for Karens with major attitude issues.
“If you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best” type beotches

Ukpoohbear

I don’t like her at all. She became a symbol for Karens with major attitude issues.
“If you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best” type beotches

I’ve seen that quote used against her before. She was a flawed human who tried to justify her unreasonable behaviour due to being a manic depressive skitzophrenic in an era where mental illness was still largely misunderstood and shunned. She worked her *** off to and sold her soul to Hollywood and the public because she had nothing else to live for.

Next you gonna say you don’t like Britney :( and the world will end immediately.

Bunraku

I mean it’s tragic that she died but as a result people made her a legend not by merit but through their own sense of mystery, victimhood, and objectification. The views on her are gross, and the discussions always end up as if it was like a voyeuristic view into her life.
Was she that good of an actress? I don’t really think so.