Rethinking Mercury in Pisces..

byjove

Account Closed
Hey pudinpop!

So many natives here can claim to blocked ears/similar that I think I'll mention it in the health forum. I have medical and natural at-home solutions for this too. As I say, the only people that I know in person that have this problem are M in P natives...:andy:

I'm not surprised about the speech connection. Mercury after all will relate to people any way that it can, communication of ideas, so definitely includes speech.

JupiterASC, I was think about the condition of Venus and Jupiter related to a Mercury in Pisces in a natal chart. If a chart showed a dignified or well-placed (house, aspect etc.) Venus and Jupiter, would you expect much more of the positives of Pisces to be expressed though the functions of this Mercury? p.s. I had another peak at my chart, and I don't think Mercury is retrograde...:andy:

Update: Health thread on Mercury on Pisces created for anyone that wants to share tips: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=450319#post450319

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

....JupiterASC, I was think about the condition of Venus and Jupiter related to a Mercury in Pisces in a natal chart. If a chart showed a dignified or well-placed (house, aspect etc.) Venus and Jupiter, would you expect much more of the positives of Pisces to be expressed though the functions of this Mercury? p.s. I had another peak at my chart, and I don't think Mercury is retrograde...:andy:
With multiple threads on the forum byjove, then I assume it was on a different thread by another member that I probably read they have Mercury Retrograde!!

In any event, if Venus and Jupiter are both dignified by sign
i.e. Venus is in domicile or exaltation and Jupiter is in domicile or exaltation
THEN Jupiter and Venus BOTH BENEFIT the matters of those houses that they rule
WITH THE CAVEAT THAT:
if a malefic - i.e. either Mars of Saturn - aspects Venus and/or Jupiter THEN their effects are modified and careful study/delineation is required
:smile:
The type of Delineation I'm giving here is a mix of medieval techniques with those of the Hellenistic authors.
Robert Zoller played great role in my traditional astrology education and this is obvious for those who are familiar with his work.

1. The good or bad signified by a house emanates from the ruler of the house.

This is the basic rule. The ruler of the house is giver of the material of the house.

Zoller gives the example of his own chart where he has Combusted Mercury in 11th, ruler of 4th. He comments that this kind of placement brings adversity to ones home and dwellings.

2. Benefit in one area of life can be produced by adversity, or even conflict, in another.

Again Zoller gives example from his own chart.
Jupiter in 9th in Scorpio disposited from Mars in 11th: Wisdom coming from conflicts.

3. The delineation tells you the what. The
predictive techniques tell you the when.

byjove

Account Closed

Yes, member Frank did some research on this and typical prejudices proved misguided when it came to IQ levels, Mercury in Pisces. I just seen that quote above again, from Albert Einstein pointing out that if we use the wrong tools to judge people's ability, then the results are as ineffective as the tools. This is why I hate the typical educational assesment tools. I'm not sure if it's a good idea pursuing more formal education beyond what I've already completed, by their estimation - I would not be learning. I did international business & languages for my primary degree. If I did art or music or poetry perhaps I could fare better. My accounting professor despised creative expression like it was the bane of humanity lol.

Last edited:
M

may28gemini

Sharon Stone isn't a very good example to serve as something that's "typical" for Pisces Mercury. For starters, she's got exalted Capricorn Mars which tightly sextiles her Mercury which can provide the confidence and backbone to work hard on lifting Pisces Mercury's deficiencies. Also, Mercury in the 8th house is NOT the worst for Mercury to be in. If anything, it gives Mercury the drive to dig deeper and investigate information (for good or ill). Still, Sharon Stone isn't in a field that requires hardcore "intellect" as she made her name through acting which is a Piscean field.

Einstein isn't that great of an example either, as he had Aries Mercury, NOT Pisces Mercury. Still, he was horrible at math and there's strong evidence that he stole his 1st wife's work and claimed it for himself. When they were both students at the university, she was a brilliant student in physics and had a promising career. When they got married, she acquiesced to her husband's career and when he became famous for a formula that is only derived from advance mathematics which he was BAD at, he dumped her and left their children. He had exalted Capricorn Mars... which gave him the drive to succeed and excel in his chosen career.

The problem with debilitated Mercury is that Mercury is the intellect itself and for that area of the person to have corrupted energy is hard to get around. Mercury isn't happy in Pisces, nor any water sign. When planets are uncomfortable in a sign, the energies and expressions are not going to fully be expressed in ways the planet are suppose to work. But just because a planet is debilitated does not mean it cannot achieve.

Last edited:

Archer7

It might have been mentioned before, but I remembered Charles Darwin with Aquarius Sun and Mercury in Pisces. I do see a positive trait in that in his book 'Origin of Species', he represents a dream like state of nature, where nature itself is dreaming up an ideal creation through natural selection.

Then I think of Richard Dawkins who also has Mercury in Pisces (but not one planet in Air, except for the North Node in Libra closely opposing his Aries Sun). His atheism has on the one hand a positive face in that he encourages communities to learn science and ponder the wonders of the universe. On the other hand, he reaches over generalisations and tends to throw the baby out with the bathwater in regarding anything that lacks hard, material scientific evidence to be delusional. I saw posts on his facebook page for instance that rightfully refute religious extremism, but he takes it a step further and mocks anyone who prays or meditates and so on. It is paradoxical because his Moon and Venus are also in Pisces, which would suggest an inclination toward imagination and transcendental subjects, rather than the fury with which he often dismisses them as 'mumbo jumbo'.....the problem is that he misses the subtleties. For instance, he created a documentary that rightly exposed the falsities of star sign columns in newspapers, but he missed the fact that most true Astrologers do not regard star sign columns to be legitimate Astrology. His mind tends to resist imagination itself, as if he is at constant battle with his own archetypes that incline him toward what is beyond material reality.

I have met people who are uncannily productive with Mercury in Pisces though. Forgive me if I already mentioned it in an earlier post, but two cases where I saw its creative face:

K: a poet and editor who has a creative approach to editing fiction and poetry. He also has Sun in Pisces.

T: a man who has Sun in Virgo, Mercury in Pisces: he creates and sells didgeridoos (an aboriginal musical and meditation instrument).

M

may28gemini

Richard Dawkins' Sun is exalted in Aries. That ought to be the 1st thing that leaps out. I personally cannot stand Aries Sun people because they're usually overly self-confident even when they're no real reason to be that way but it's that excessive amount of self-confidence that leads Aries Sun people to be hardcore achievers. Another thing about him, he has exalted Capricorn Mars (strong backbone and willpower to succeed in concrete ways) which is part of his Grand Earth Kite configuration (again, hardcore Earth influence that is comfortable with real world, concrete energy) lead by Venus (how lovely). His Pisces Mercury isn't aspected and pretty much doesn't make much of a presence. His chart evicted Pisces Mercury .

How can Virgo Sun possibly have Pisces Mercury? I don't think any Virgo sun would want to touch that Mercury even if they were paid.

Last edited:

Archer7

Richard Dawkins' Sun is exalted in Aries. That ought to be the 1st thing that leaps out. I personally cannot stand Aries Sun people because they're usually overly self-confident even when they're no real reason to be that way but it's that excessive amount of self-confidence that leads Aries Sun people to be hardcore achievers. Another thing about him, he has exalted Capricorn Mars (strong backbone and willpower to succeed in concrete ways) which is part of his Grand Earth Kite configuration (again, hardcore Earth influence that is comfortable with real world, concrete energy) lead by Venus (how lovely). His Pisces Mercury isn't aspected and pretty much doesn't make much of a presence. His chart evicted Pisces Mercury .

How can Virgo Sun possibly have Pisces Mercury? I don't think any Virgo sun would want to touch that Mercury even if they were paid.

Pardon I made an error as he has Virgo Ascendant! My mercury in Sag can also have its detrimental moments! I'm wondering about Dawkins sun closely conjunct the south node too .... But when it comes to Aries sun I think as with all signs it comes back to the individual xo

Flowergirl

Yes, member Frank did some research on this and typical prejudices proved misguided when it came to IQ levels, Mercury in Pisces. I just seen that quote above again, from Albert Einstein pointing out that if we use the wrong tools to judge people's ability, then the results are as ineffective as the tools. This is why I hate the typical educational assesment tools.

Well said!

I like to think of Mercury in Pisces in terms of being the 'messenger of the gods' in terms of right brain activity. Perhaps this placement, being susceptible and dreamy at times, creates the space for sudden brilliant insights or ideas or solutions that is inspired, yes... by the 'gods'. Where left brained Mercury in Virgo can rationalise things and pull the insights out of a hat in that quick way, the left brained Mercury perhaps needs time for inspiration to seep into the conscious mind or be expressed from a quiet intuitive space. That is perhaps why left brain, quick thinking Mercury views Mercury in Pisces as slow or stupid. Mercury in Pisces is the typical intuitive mind that is receptive for divine inspiration that may come in it's own time and has it's own brilliance.

Mercury also has an occult side, so healing, astrology and the transmission of spiritual knowledge are also in his area.

As we progress further with Neptune in Pisces and the return of the divine feminine, I believe Piscean/12th house/Neptune qualities will become more valued, practised and understood by us all. We are already seeing how people have become more sensitive since Neptune into Pisces. Interesting times are ahead... Left brained activity has been explored to death the last few hundred years. Time for change people.

Last edited:

Flowergirl

In our modern lives, we can also look at Mercury as a bridge. How an idea comes into our consciousness is a mysterious and amazing process, and Mercury is the bridge along which ideas, or the seeds of ideas, travel from the unconscious to the conscious mind. We commonly think of “having” ideas, but we don’t often delve into the origin of those ideas, how they came about. from

Perhaps these inspirations from the 'gods' are from our soul, our guides, God, higher self or whoever we believe Creator to be. The so called 'mind' is not responsible for this. Mercury in Pisces may be especially receptive to this.

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
...Left brained activity has been explored to death the last few hundred years. Time for change people.

I couldn't agree more! I appreciate science, but I'm appauled at how little they seem to have learned from their conflicts with the religious community in Europe 500 years ago. Contrary to their belief, I don't think the entire world can be explained in a test tube, under a microscope. I think the Pisces nature sees right through this.

The scientific community may appreciate music, art and love like the rest of us, yet can they truly explain these endeavours? The human tongue sometimes seems a poor substitute for communicating these things.

M

may28gemini

I have Gemini Mercury and I gotta say... I don't think Virgo Mercury is totally left-brained inclined. There's a tendency for Virgo Mercury to excel with numbers (my mother has Virgo Mercury and she was an accountant and financial analyst for most of her adult life) which may seem to be "uncreative" and hardcore but those with strong Mercuries of Gemini or Virgo have the ability to just excel in just about everything. That's the beauty of Mercury as he rules the mind and intellect. There's long lists of Virgo Mercury artists, writers, musicians out there who contributed a lot to the arts. Virgo Mercury Madonna was the one that sang about us living in a material world. She transformed pop music and fashion. Even my mother in her 50s enjoys ballroom dancing and swirling around. Virgo Mercury is not limited in what they take up, not the way Pisces is very limited.

Virgo Mercury is dignified to which it can do whatever it wanted. Virgo Mercury isn't limited to one area or another, as it can freely operate and take up either creative and/or concrete endeavors with no problems. Pisces Mercury is debilitated and are limited to a certain area that it can operate before it can't handle the harshness of concrete demands.

To further extend this concept, I would say the major difference between the Virgo-Pisces Mercury axis is one of method.

I think Virgo Mercury sees creativity and imagination as a something very concrete and tangible for which they can plan and structuralize, not only in their minds, but with their hands and can explain and use all the 5 senses to rationalize what they do. Pisces Mercury sees creativity and imagination as something fluid, spiritual, and doesn't necessarily have to take a solid form to exist. As a matter of fact, Pisces Mercury deals with the intangible better and more comfortable with things that aren't exactly explainable with the 5 senses.

Lady Gaga has Pisces Mercury Rx... and yet, she's a singing megastar who made her fame by singing about junk that makes ZERO sense but some of it sounds kinda good. But what really attracts attention is that she comes out in outrageous outfits and makes up quirky names for her fans. I don't think she'd be able to do any of that with her badly messed up Mercury if it weren't for her powerful 0 degree Capricorn Mars running the show in her 8th house. Oh yeah, early Aries Sun helps out heaps.

Those that are famous with Pisces Mercury tend to have some strong factor in their chart that helps them out- such as a strong Mars.

I've never met anyone with Pisces Mercury that wasn't dyslexic, didn't have some sort of learning disability, didn't get FACTS mixed up with something completely made-up and non-existent, didn't get placed in some remedial class as a youngster, or wasn't told they were stupid. With a badly damaged Mercury, life, and I mean life in the REAL way, would be super difficult for them to get by without resorting to drugs or some hallucinogenic agent to placate their super sensitive minds.

Last edited:

BluEyedGrl105

Well. This is all making me feel super confident about my 6 year old nephew's 3H Mercury conjunct Uranus in Pisces (mutual reception with Neptune, of all things...)

He is good at reading. His only real trouble is his attention span, tbh. He loves drawing monsters and making up video games. When he was a bit younger he was fascinated by anything that had to do with the body. He'd just randomly ask questions like, 'how does your heart pump blood?' and 'are the guts inside the skeleton or outside?' and my sister would just be like 'Um... Get the book!' lol

Right Now T. Uranus is going over his Sun/Ic so I can only hope that's why he's been so hyped up lately and not necessarily a sign of things to come.

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
^^

Well that is very intriguing, I haven't yet read the testimony of a Mercury/Uranus conjunct native. I have the square myself. In another thread discussing invention in the last 200 years, it seems transiting Uranus through Pisces very humanely 'brought technology to the people, for everyone' through say the World Wide Web.

With the square between the two, I've always been a technology-crazy person, as often is the case when these two are in contact. When transiting Uranus crossed over my natal Mercury in Pisces, I took leaps and bounds in my understanding and ability with technology. I'm self-taught, but I can take any tech. object I own, take it to pieces, replace anything and restore it back together.

Therefore, I wonder will your nephew develop an interest in technology, particularly computers and the World Wide Web? Those two conjunct in house 3...this is very helpful for communicating his ideas I think. Do keep us updated on his development! :joyful:

Last edited:

summer92

I have Mercury in Pisces in the 3rd house,and always feel that there's something blocking my mind.I day dream a lot (it's affecting my work),however I'm good at Mathematics

byjove

Account Closed
Thinking in pictures, or music or math or words...

I just found an few comments from an individual with autism who comments on how are minds work differently and we need society to facilitate this: (Temple Grandin)

Original article, just a few comments
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121128-rethinking-the-way-we-think

A very intriguing video where she shows how mind work differently:
http://www.ted.com/talks/temple_grandin_the_world_needs_all_kinds_of_minds.html
She really gets to it at 6 minutes 30 onwards.

She mentions three types of mind:

1. Photo realistic
Visual thinkers, poor at algebra

2. Pattern thinkers
Music and math

3. Verbal mind
poor at drawing

Wow.

Last edited:

milkywaygirl

I have Mercury in Pisces in the 3rd house,and always feel that there's something blocking my mind.I day dream a lot (it's affecting my work),however I'm good at Mathematics

I also have merc in pisces in third, trine uranus in 12th, 2 degree orb. I started reading at 3 and was placed in a gifted program during elementary and high school. Not to toot my own horn or anything (ok maybe a bit!), but I'm good at anything I put my mind to. I'm excellent at math, creative writing, public speaking, science especially chemistry and physiology, i play several instruments and speak two languages (currently working on my third), and won a slew of awards in school, before dropping out in the 12th grade. I'm not dyslexic, have never been called stupid, nor been in remedial anything. I just actually finished a semester of serving as a math and science tutor. Intellectually, I have the capacity to pursue any career, but I have no interest in making money for the sake of money, and so have taken the long road to finding a fulfilling career that suits my piscean sensibilities. I've had 3 "careers" thus far, and am currently working on my fourth, and hopefully final one.

I think the key to my ability to learn virtually anything is my ability to grasp The Big Picture. Whenever I desire to learn something, I start off at the broadest point, and try to understand from outwards inwards. Once you understand the overarching concept of anything, the details become quite simple and straightforward. I also luckily have been blessed with a wicked sense of intuition that I have been fine tuning over the years. I rely heavily on intuition in day to day life, and I never get lost :) I just tap into the the "flow" of things and go with it.

I'm pretty much self taught, and learn best when I have a genuine interest in a subject. I don't have hobbies - I get interested in something, learn all there is about it, and then move onto the next thing. The uranus trine has resulted in many clashes in the school environment as I require a lot of freedom in this area, and when I was younger I would get extremely frustrated with the slow pace of instruction and lack of creativity of the framework, which contributed to me dropping out. I actually wanted to go into education and specifically education reform for a few years, as I felt that I and others like me are done an immense disservice by the current North American educational system. If I had my own child, I would 100% homeschool them, with a focus on child-led learning.

Personally, I think that any planet in pisces has the capacity to operate and express its energy in the fullest sense due to that energy being able to connect directly with the "ether", "collective consciousness", "divinity" or what have you, but maybe I'm just biased ;)

byjove

Account Closed

I've never met anyone with Pisces Mercury that wasn't dyslexic, didn't have some sort of learning disability, didn't get FACTS mixed up with something completely made-up and non-existent, didn't get placed in some remedial class as a youngster, or wasn't told they were stupid. With a badly damaged Mercury, life, and I mean life in the REAL way, would be super difficult for them to get by without resorting to drugs or some hallucinogenic agent to placate their super sensitive minds.

This really interests me. English is my native language. I only started to develop trouble with spelling after I studied multiple foreign languages. A friend in education tells me it 're-wires the brain'. I'm not totally sure it's worth it! Culturally yes, linguisticlly, no! :sideways:

M

may28gemini

Learning languages does rewire the brain because humans think in language.

General scenario: If you're use to thinking in English and you learn Russian (for example), chances are, the language is not going to be similar to what you're use to. It will take some time and "rewiring" to get you to be adjusted to the new language. This is to be expected for everyone.

With impaired Mercury like Pisces and Sagittarius, rewiring happens to get accustomed to the new language but there's a high likelihood of getting their pre-existing wires crossed. When a person has a strong Mercury such as Gemini or Virgo, the rewiring process would be less bumpy (unless it's in retrograde, then there's going to be some bumps).

That's why it's "best" to get children to learn languages at very early ages before wiring happens for them so it would be a smoother transition.

Last edited: