Natal Chart Shapes & meaning

LovelyNomad7

Can someone tell me what the shape of my natal chart signifies? I am curious because most of the influences on my chart are in two locations. I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:
I think it's very important. I have a bundle shape, and I think it's pretty obvious that my energy is deeply focused and perhaps sometimes lopsided. Very different to someone with a spread-out chart configuration. Almost like a fixed sign emphasis feeling.

greybeard

I use the chart patterns as the foundation of interpretation.

The originator of the patterns was Marc Edmund Jones in his book "Essentials of Astrological Analysis". No other book covers the patterns in such depth. Deep study of these patterns will make a better astrologer of you.

We can say that the "Pattern of Planetary Distribution" is identical with the "Pattern of Personality" and the "Pattern of Destiny". They are all one and the same thing.

No encuentro tu carta astral, Nomad7. A que vas a Chile? Give me your birth data and I'll comment on your chart pattern.

Last edited:

fantasmo

Account Closed
Peekaboo! ...just in case somebody has informations/experience with a bucket chart moon, please let me know.

"concentrated energy" of the moon makes me think of energy that happens only inside oneself... how (if ever) can this be seen in things somebody does/attitude somebody has?

greybeard

The Moon, very importantly in her symbolism, represents the relationships we form, the way in which we go about procuring nurture and nutriment for ourselves, the experiences or changes we encounter in our daily lives, our natural responses to what is met....

Moon as handle of a bucket pattern imposes a great intensity on the native, and (see above) the perceptions/reponses of/to experiences.

One should note whether the moon is waxing or waning, which will give indications of whether the experiences tend toward the external or the internalized. Does the Moon behold an effective opposition aspect? If so, what is its relationship to the midpoint of the two planets containing the other 7? The Quality in which the opposition (if present) occurs will describe the natural inclination of the native insofar as the way he meets life, views it. In Cardinal signs the native is fundamentally opportunistic-expedient and seeks to control and manipulate external and immediate circumstances to his favor. In Fixed signs there is a deep internal conflict of some sort and the native is most concerned with personal principles and values when meeting life, and events themselves are secondary -- resulting in detachment. In Common signs, the need for change is high and in meeting life's circumstances the native is primarily concerned with relationships and quickly adapts the self to new social groups and circumstances. Left-leaning and right-leaning Moons will act differently. The degree of deviation from the midpoint is telling, gives information regarding conventionality or deviation from the conventional (imbalance, lopsidedness, ability to fit in) in the personality/destiny. Not only the Moon, but both sign and house she occupies are brought to high focus; the lord of the sign acquires some extra power, as his condition conditions Moon.

If you carefully study the meanings of these different conditions of the Moon, and add in her sign, house and aspects, you will discover a portrait that fits you very well.

The Moon is the primary significator in a chart for change and experience, and plays a fundamental role in the expression of personality. She is easily visible in the everyday, common, mundane and ever-changing visisitudes of life. If Moon is the handle of your bucket, and you want to understand yourself, then study the full range of Moon's many meanings in detail.

fantasmo

Account Closed
Thank you very much for your reply. You seem to have a wide knowledge on this, and I will try to find some infos based on the points you mentioned.

...considering waxing and waning... That means the lunar phases on my birthday right? I found a calender from then, and my birthday is on the 5th day after the full moon symbol...and then I found this site http://www.drstandley.com/astrologycharts_lunar_phases.shtml ...am I the "waning gibbous"-type? Maybe?! I guess so.

greybeard

Waxing is before full moon, waning is after. The measurement is taken from the position of Sun at birth. The waxing Moon is said to be "growing in light," the waning Moon "decreasing in light." Waxing, symbolically, tends "upward" and "outward," while the waning Moon tends "downward" and "inward."

At 5 days after Full Moon, the phase will be waning gibbous, that is, between 225 and 270 degrees from the Sun, measured counter-clockwise. I'm not sure, but I suspect you will find one of the most detailed descriptions of the meanings of the phases at www.khaldea.com., because that was the site of Dane Rudhyar and/or his wife and heir, Leyla Rael. I think Michael Meyer has it now. It still contains many of Rudhyar's writings and he wrote a book on lunar phases ("The Lunation Cycle").

I haven't seen your chart (and am not going to interpret it.) If, as you say, the Moon is the handle planet of a bucket pattern, then all information (interpretation) concerning that planet will be of foremost importance in understanding your chart.

The first thing that must be understood is the intrinsic nature of the Moon, unconditioned by any other factors. Usually students see Moon and think "feelings, emotions," and go no further. The Moon holds many meanings going much deeper than that. Your first task is to become familiar with the essential nature (and implications) of the Moon. It has both positive and negative potentials, both of which will appear in the life.

The Moon is the most "watery" of planets. You can understand much about the Moon by studying the meanings and mode of operation of the Water element.

Zarathu

Account Closed
IMO, the shape of the planets in a chart could have some bearing on the ultimate interpretation, but usually not.

I find it an easy way to simply something that should not be simplified, because astrology is too complicated and has too much going on under the surface. Some people desperately want things to be in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get way, and at least in astrology this is just not true. Ir they proscribe to a kind of astrology that only covers the "Big Bells", without all the detail that actuall tells what the big bells are trying to say. I would prefer the Beethoven Symphony to a single bell sounding. But to each his own.

[deleted comment by request since it was close to a put-down - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

greybeard

Z...

Look at it this way. The horoscope as a whole represents the native in his wholeness.
We take a geocentric view of the heavens, thus the native is at the center of the universe. This is a simple and straightforward statement of reality, for you are at the center of the universe (both in real and symbolic perspectives.) Is it possible for you to view the world around you from any other perspective than with you at center? The pattern of planetary distribution around that center is exactly equivalent to the pattern of the distribution or arrangement of energies within the psyche of the native.

If, for example, a planet in a chart is a singleton by hemisphere -- standing alone and well apart from all of the other planets in the opposing hemisphere -- then that planet "stands out" visually in the chart, and equally stands out in the person to whom the chart pertains.

I've been using the planetary patterns as a fundamental, I might even say primary, ingredient of delineation for quite a long time and they work very effectively. The study of patterns reveals the structure of the horoscope, i.e., the internal structure of the native. It is not superficial or over-simpified. I have spent "too much time" on this, and by your own admission you have not. Neither of us is a fan of Linda Goodman. I have not spent any time with astrodynes, and am not qualified to judge them.

The whole of astrology is purely symbolic. Astrology works by analogy. Carry that thinking out, and "what you see is what you get" emerges. We take the actual (real) characteristics of planets -- orbits, size, relative position, etc. -- and from these facts derive symbolic meanings, by analogy. In other words, at the most fundamental level, what you see is what you get. That is the magic of astrology.

The planetary pattern corresponds to the gestalt of a chart, the total field in which everything operates and in which everything is intimately interrelated. Everything in a chart (and in the real world we live in) affects and is affected by everything else. (It is now known that events in spacetime affect spacetime itself.) The pattern describes the matrix in which the discrete energies (the planets) are embedded and in and through whch they must act. Patterns provide a holistic window through which we can see the chart as an integral whole.

The planetary pattern can be compared to the score of a symphony. The score shows the whole and determines how each of the individual instruments must be played. It orchestrates the perfomance of bells, drums, horns, strings and kazoo.

Last edited: