QUINTILES REVEALED: Learn how your Quintiles can positively affect personal image

Regulus Rising

A Quintile is a 5th harmonic aspect that has an angle of 72 degrees. For quite some time now, it's been seen as a minor harmonic, similar to the Semi-Sextile, indicating "talent" and "vaguely fortunate circumstances". Yet I always sensed more to Quintiles than just "vague fortune". The reason why it didn't make sense for me to ignore Quintiles is because we focus on every harmonic up to the 6th-- except for the 5th? A Sextile is the 6th and last common harmonic, so wouldn't a Quintile, being a 5th harmonic, be an important thing?

After much research in the details and nature behind Quintiles, I have both discovered and unlocked the key to Quintiles. As I originally was, you will be suprised to figure out that they are in fact one of the most important and prevalent aspects within your chart! I am going to explain how your Quintiles take on very ASC- like qualities and how they are very much visible to others.

A Quintile is essentially an aspect that displays energy which others clearly see within you, yet you yourself do not realize you have-- though the ability to build upon it is there once recognized. For example, Barack Obama has Jupiter Quintile Pluto very tightly by 0.01 degrees (one minute). This indicates his ability to inspire hope and change, which is what Jupiter/Pluto is all about when working harmoniously. In fact, it was the media who originally coined the keywords "Hope" and "Change" to Obama's candidacy, not him. Of course, he was no fool and didn't wait to quickly adopt these keywords into his campaign! But realize that it was not Obama who originally came up with these definitions for himself. It was the people, because that's how they saw him. Of course, now that he is the first African American president, and now that people believe that he is the agent of change, he has the potential to bring about hope and change. In other words, he realized that because people think of him as hope/change, he essentially has the ability to build and ultimately embody himself to be so.

Quintiles give off the impression of a harmonious easy-going Trine to others, yet in reality work more as a Sextile to the individual. For example, I have a friend who is a shy Virgo. Yet at the same time, he has quite a sense of humor! Not only that, but he's easy to talk to as well! For the longest time, I couldn't figure out what it was in his chart that gave him easy-flowing communication skills for such a shy guy. Then eventually, I found it! His Mercury was Quintile his Ascendant. He has taken a recent interest in astrology, so when we were going over his chart I asked him if he felt that he had natural communication abilities, to which he said "kind of, but not really"... The funny thing here is that though I clearly saw his ability to communicate with anyone from all walks of life-- he didn't! His Mercury/Ascendant seemed very Trine-like and almost natural to his personality. Yet he didn't realize what he was capable of. Once I explained the nature of this Quintile to him, he realized that the Mercury/Ascendant worked very much as a Sextile for him, meaning he has the ability to build both his intellect and communication skills to higher levels if he truly believes that others see that talent within him! Which they do!

As I mentioned in the beginning, Quintiles take on very Ascendant- like qualities. If there are Quintiles in your chart, people Will see those qualities as apart of your personality. Especially astrologers. No exceptions. When I see Quintiles in someones' chart, I typically have this "AH-HAH!" moment where it's so blatantly obvious that they have that energy about them. And yet, how ironic is it that the individual themselves can fail to see it?

I would like to quickly touch upon something, and that is Quintiles being perceived as a possible "fakeness" to the personality. Quintiles will never look fake to anyone. Nor will they be fake. If someone has Venus Quintile Jupiter and is perceived to be popular when in reality that individual does not feel so, nobody will ever call that person "a fake" because the Quintile takes on a natural Trine-like appearance to others-- it only feels like a Sextile to the individual and nobody else!

To end this article, I will discuss one more example of a Quintile. And it's a good one. My friend, who is a Leo, has 7 Quintiles. That is alot!! Normally, if somebody has 3 or more Quintiles, than the Quintile energy is very much apart of their life. Anyways, he is seen as being sociable, entertaining, and not to mention a ladies man : )

Question:
So, is he in fact, all of the above?
Answer: Now he is. But he wasn't before.

He actually studies astrology, so I have taught him the principle of Quintiles. But beforehand, he actually wasn't all of the above. For example, if he started a conversation with a girl, he wouldn't believe that the girl would be interested in the conversation or even with him in general. Yet the reality was that his Quintile energy was very much leading her to believe that he is both fun and entertaining to be around. He just didn't know it. But now that he does, he can not only understand what people see in him-- but also build to improve those positive traits as well!!

Some quick technical notes: I use only Quintile and Bi-Quintiles. There are Tri-Quintiles, but I don't really take those into account. For the Quintile and Bi-Quintile, I personally allow an orb of 2 degrees, though from the research I've done it could be given the orb of any regular aspect, meaning up to 5 or sometimes even 6 degrees.

All aspiring and professional astrologers should know the importance of Quintiles, and I hope that this article brings much discussion, spreading, and distribution of Quintile knowledge!

Do you have any Quintiles or Bi-Quintiles?

Moulin

SO TRUE!!

Do you count bi-quintiles too?

I have
moon bi-quintile neptune
venus bi-quintile neptune
saturn bi-quintile neptune
NN bi-quintile neptune
AC bi-quintile neptune
all under 2 degrees

Regulus Rising

Yeah for sure. As I mentioned in the technical notes, I use both Quintile and Bi-Quintile but not the Tri-Quintile.

I think that one of the great thing about astrology is that when you see one pattern in a chart, there's usually another pattern that reflects and supports the previous one-- therefore making a sort of connection to the entire chart.

Your pattern here is obviously that all of your Quintiles are with Neptune. And how interesting it is that Neptune is about illusion. The illusion of giving off others a natural romantic/artsy (Venus), softie (Asc), and durable (Saturn) inpersonation when you in reality may have never caught onto it. Granted, the true energy of Neptune is quite elevated. Than again though... I could be wrong, but I would say that these qualities are actually apparent within you due to the fact that your Neptune is Bi-Quintile the Ascendant. I wonder how much of a player Neptune is in your chart. Maybe it's really important. Or maybe it's never been anything you've paid attention to up until now. I also wonder if people see your imagination at work on a daily basis.

Claire19

I am not sure about quintiles yet but definitely would not bother with bi-quintiles, at best minor influence. I dont use minor aspects at all or asteroids or fixed stars. If quintiles work for you, great. I am open minded. I have one with Saturn Leo and Venus Libra, I have no idea what it means.......from 5/6th house cusp to the 8th????

Last edited:

waybread

Just a little infill here. Quintiles have been described as the "genius" aspect, as they seemed to be prominent in the charts of unique thinkers like Albert Einstein. And sadly, of Adolf Hitler. On the other hand, I once participated in a thread on quintiles on another astrology forum, in which the thread-initiator made the "genius" point. Well, directly all kind of people posted re: their quintiles. Some people who claimed to be perfectly ordinary had more quintiles than Einstein, and far fewer aspirations for world domination than Hitler. Go figure!

I might suggest to anyone interested in reading more about quintiles: Bil Tierney, Dynamics of Aspect Analysis, or at an astrology 401 level, Michael Harding and Charles Harvey, Working with Astrology; and John Addey, Harmonic Anthology, which has a quintile (e. g. 5H) chapter.

If I see a chart with several quintiles, esp. one where one planet is involved in most of them, I do think it is important. I think the above-mentioned authors see quintiles as indicating not only some kind of talent (however strangely one might define "talent") but also considerable ambition to manifest it. Sun Pluto quintiles particularly seem to indicate a lot of ambition.

Vertex, bi-quintiles count as quintiles. Bil Tierney gets a bit more involved with "upper" and "lower" aspects, but I've not done this.

Reg, a tri-quintile, depending upon your starting point, would be the same as a quintile (0 degrees>>72 degrees (Q)>>144 (biQ) then 216 degrees is basically a bi-quintile going around the chart from the opposite direction.

Sun quintile Ascendant here. I guess I am my own best project. W.

Moulin

Regulus Rising said:
Yeah for sure. As I mentioned in the technical notes, I use both Quintile and Bi-Quintile but not the Tri-Quintile.

I think that one of the great thing about astrology is that when you see one pattern in a chart, there's usually another pattern that reflects and supports the previous one-- therefore making a sort of connection to the entire chart.

Your pattern here is obviously that all of your Quintiles are with Neptune. And how interesting it is that Neptune is about illusion. The illusion of giving off others a natural romantic/artsy (Venus), softie (Asc), and durable (Saturn) inpersonation when you in reality may have never caught onto it. Granted, the true energy of Neptune is quite elevated. Than again though... I could be wrong, but I would say that these qualities are actually apparent within you due to the fact that your Neptune is Bi-Quintile the Ascendant. I wonder how much of a player Neptune is in your chart. Maybe it's really important. Or maybe it's never been anything you've paid attention to up until now. I also wonder if people see your imagination at work on a daily basis.

WOW!
I think you might have inadvertently answered the question as to why i'm so psychic.. and l do have an astounding imagination. I am being pressured by friends to become a writer.
I have neptune in my 8th house (equal) and 7th house (placidus) in SCORPIO!
The other aspecting planets are in Aries with moon/saturn/nn in 12th and venus in 1st conjunct exact my AC.

In fact Neptune is in a yod with my pluto/uranus conjunct - pluto in my 5th and uranus in my 6th and the moon/venus/AC as mentioned above.

Neptune is very prominent and is l think the most aspected planet in my chart. It also squares jupiter/5th house exact and opposes mars in 1st.

Thank you for this thread :)

flea

I do find quintiles interesting...not just because 72 and 144 are such powerful numbers. Maybe that is why I have read about them having a spiritual cast.

I have jupR bQ Neptune and Venus with Neptune and venus Q eachother. So there is this quintile energy around me. Neptune contacts just about everything in my chart yet Jupiter and Venus have very few, so the quintiles joing all this together. Merc Q Uranus (which my sister shares) and Merc Q Pallas also and Moon BQ MC. Ooo and I just saw Pluto Q POF very tight which i never saw before.

The artsy stuff and my mental stuff play a bit of a tug of war for dominance....now finding a way for fusion. Merc conj SN and Venus Trine NN so there is a path pushing me to more artistic experssions from the more mental left brain stuff.

The quintile triangle is the key to understanding my art which has always been there in my life, yet quite hidden. I am working now to bring that out in my work and life, little step by little step.

I think they are subtle aspects.... yet no less important and definitely powerful. The 5th harmonic, must be a harmonic that is not clearly understood in the world today I feel for this aspect to be so little talked about, sitting between the square and the sextile. The quintile is a bit like a combination of these aspects. It works a bit like this...say with my nept Q venus, they work well together evidenced from my flowing receptive intuitive art styles, and people's response to them, they can see all kinds of figures and images in them. Yet we also have the energies of scorpio working well with the energies of Aquarius which naturally square eachother.

So there is an complxity and fusion of square and sextile which I really love the idea of.

FleaXXX

Last edited:

rogue_red

I havent done alot of research into quintiles and personally dont use them as I feel that often we overlook the obvious in an attempt to make sense of something. What I have come to see recently is the depth of information available in the humble natal chart. I have uncovered a wealth of information just by looking at the basic planets, their sign and house placement, their rulers (sign and house) and condition then moving on to their relationships. It is surprising just what you find. You said of a friend with a particular quintile that indicated he was seen as charming and a ladies man. You also said that quintiles were glaringly obvious to others yet you answer the question "so is he in fact all of the above?" with a "now he is. But he wasnt before." This seems to contradict your theory on quintiles. Shouldnt he in fact have always been that way but just not aware of it?
The other point I'd like to make is about the placebo effect. In effect by telling him hes got an aspect that makes others see him as this or that but HE himself cant see it has a powerful effect on ones subconscious maybe even being neurolinguistic in its results. We have an extremely powerful tool between our ears that, used to its fullest advantage, could reinvent mankind as we know it but as a species we are complacent and irresponsible often refusing to take responsibility for what happens in our lives or even actively avoiding dangerous or unhealthy things. We become addicts then sue tobacco companies, we get fat and sue McDonalds. Now im rambling lol. My point is that we should be cautious about what we embrace as fact especially when we are interpreting charts other than our own.
Im not saying quintiles are not valid as i have no expertise to say such things Im merely playing devils advocate:D

Regulus Rising

Whooo!! Lot of catching up to do. OK:

First off-- I've seen some discussion of Quintiles being seen as minor harmonics. And they have been seen as so simply because they have not been understood correctly. However, it is important to remember that Quintiles are ultimately 5th harmonic, meaning that they should be incorporated into the category of major harmonics. Every harmonic up to the 6th is a major harmonic, so for the 5th one to be a minor is rather misleading.

Secondly-- to quickly address Rouge_Red's question:
Based on your comment, I can understand that you are beginning to understand the theory behind Quintiles! As far as my friend being like that from the beginning-- you're right that he should have always been like that initially. It would have saved him much time! The thing with girls though, is that when you're a guy, sometimes you can get nervous!! : ) Meaning that even though he would be able to attract a girl, he wouldn't have enough courage to necessarly pull the trigger and get a number or a date or whatever. Chances are that he was probably scared of rejection! Astrology hasn't been the only thing that's helped him grow, but he's come to realize that if you display attractive qualities to a girl as well as get peer approval, that it's okay to make yourself vunerable by making the next move. If you've consistantly demonstrated attractive qualities, than why should you be scared of rejection?

Lastly-- to Munchkin:
I definitely understand where you're coming from with the Quintile manipulation statement. But don't fear! I don't think that manipulation would be much of a concern since the individual is worried about developing these Quintile qualities to their fullest potential. But you are right that the potential for manipulation essentially exists within anybody. Someone with Leo Sun conjunct Leo Ascendant, for example, may be prone to be manipulative because they know that they have a particular physically sunny aura about them. that makes them popular.

As far as Barack Obama goes...I promised myself that I wouldn't bring up politics in this form since I used Barack as an example! This is, after all, an astrologically based discussion and not a politically based one! So for the respect of others and their own views, I can't say much!...and I love politics so much!! Hard to resist political subjects ahh!! But understanding both your question and personal concern, I will say just this-- he has surrounded himself with very strong people, he just needs to stay the top dog.

Any planet quintile the Ascendant is strong! For example, I have Sun quintile Ascendant, and I have always heard people seeing me as "Mr. Confident" and similar things upon first impression. I mean, not to say that I'm not. Leo Ascendant talking here, aight? But my levels of confidence have been something that I've had to systematically work on. I too can get nervous just like everyone else. I'm not at all fearless!!

Saturn quintile Ascendant-- Hmm, I would be able to give you a better interpretation if I knew your Ascendant. But from that aspect alone, I would say that others see you as being very able to suit/adapt yourself into the professional or work environment. People see you as the leader! You might have found yourself more than once surrounded by people of authority or maturity and not been sure how you got there in the first place. If built properly, a financially profitable aspect of your personality! But now I really want to know your Ascendant so I can give you more details!!

Regulus Rising

Moulin--

Beauty is very much an element of your life. I have Venus trine Neptune, so with your Venus quintile Neptune, what I'm about to say to you will hopefully make sense. For Venus/Neptune people, it's important to understand that Beauty is essentially a codeword for understanding the existing unity within our universe. The curve of every flower and every lip is essentially all connected by what we know as universal love, and to be able to not only understand that-- but to feel it-- is quite a gift...does that help?

P.S. I laughed to myself when you say that your friends try to push you to be a writer because I can relate! I try to convince my many-Quintiles Leo friend to be an actor! But he doesn't wanna do it!! He wants to be the one directing, not acting! Hahaha-- typical Leo!!

RobinC

Regulus Rising said:
All aspiring and professional astrologers should know the importance of Quintiles, and I hope that this article brings much discussion, spreading, and distribution of Quintile knowledge!

Do you have any Quintiles or Bi-Quintiles?
Yes! As a relative newbie trying to interpret the charts of myself and my family, I had become a bit "annoyed" by the 'Q's in my own chart - Sun/Jupiter, Sun/Pluto, Mars/Uranus. Moon bQ Saturn, and BML has 2 quintiles and 1 biquintile herself. As I saw these as "minor", I was understanding my Sun to be nearly "peregrine", as it's only aspect excluding the (2) quintiles is Uranus, and this doesn't show up in every calculation. I haven't gotten to the orbs yet, I imagine it (Sun/Uranus) doesn't show up in every calculation because the orbs are set differently? The two quintiles and the Uranus aspect are the total aspects to my Sun. So it makes a difference looking at it the way you suggest, with the quintiles being more major players.

Moulin

Regulus Rising said:
Moulin--

Beauty is very much an element of your life. I have Venus trine Neptune, so with your Venus quintile Neptune, what I'm about to say to you will hopefully make sense. For Venus/Neptune people, it's important to understand that Beauty is essentially a codeword for understanding the existing unity within our universe. The curve of every flower and every lip is essentially all connected by what we know as universal love, and to be able to not only understand that-- but to feel it-- is quite a gift...does that help?

P.S. I laughed to myself when you say that your friends try to push you to be a writer because I can relate! I try to convince my many-Quintiles Leo friend to be an actor! But he doesn't wanna do it!! He wants to be the one directing, not acting! Hahaha-- typical Leo!!

Yes it does make sense, thank you Regulus. I must find a way to get that innocence in me back. I got hurt by a few relationships and closed a part of myself off from the world. Maybe l should write, for that very reason. :)

I have a stellium in Aries conjunct my Aries AC and l do the same thing as your Leo friend hahahahaha
People should be smart and tell me NOT to write, then l would be a successful writer probably ;)

waybread

I've looked (conservatively) at over a thousand charts, and I would estimate that most people have a quintile or two in their charts, esp. if you include sensitive points, angles, asteroids, and so on. But if someone has a bunch of quintiles, notably involving one planet with multiple quintiles (as happens when one planet quintiles a conjunction/stellium), then I think you've got something. I really think sun quintile Pluto can give a kind of ruthlessness to the individual, in areas as indicated by the houses.

Again, the conventional interpretation of a quintile is that it indicates a kind of talent, but also the drive or ambition to manifest it. Five (360/5) has been called "the number of man"--notably with our five fingers per hand. For afficianadoes of The Da Vinci Code, 5 has mystical significance.

Moulin

I agree Waybread. In what way do you think that a planet quintiling or bi-quintiling a stellium has it's affect? i have this and am curious about your view.

i have quintiles with venus-neptune & venus-moon but this is the saturn-uranus quintile that appears great :

Saturn quintile Uranus
You are a highly gifted teacher and manager, combining the qualities of discipline and practicality with unique and innovative ideas. You could be an inventor, a futuristic leader or a motivational trainer. In whatever way you choose to express this gift, you will be very creative, exciting, dramatic and inspired, and you can accomplish a great deal because of your organizational talents and your ability to captivate people�s imaginations

an interesting link: http://members.wizzards.net/~magyan/aspects.htm

Last edited:

Regulus Rising

Moulin-- give me your Natal info and I will give you an in depth- description on your Quintiles. I've done this many times before and will do it again...only if you promise that you'll both write and publish a book by TOMORROW. Hahaha jk! I mean "Not" write! Sooo birth info plz?

Last edited:

Regulus Rising

Entrevisions-

Could you also post natal-info as well? It would help tremendously in getting the right material so I can properly research and address your question at hand

Regulus Rising

Munchkin--

Leo rising?? Holyy! Not conjunct Regulus is it? : ) : )

That imbues everything that I said beforehand, only it really does connect back to the fact that you are seen as a True leader. If you were to want more information, post your birth-info and I'll take a look-skes!