Random Thoughts, strictly Text

AppLeo

Disenchanted? You mean disengaged?

No, I just know how you are. And I don't have the inclination to go through a back and forth with you all day, as time is so precious.

I take your points however, and through your answers see how you perceive these problems. Knowing more about your perspective is valuable.

Oh alright

Dirius

AppLeo, it’s true in what you’re saying that the current economic templates tend to exclude small business owners, especially the engine of the economy types. The philosophy of pure capitalism is enticing to this group who can perceive the systemic advantages granted to large or monopolistic enterprises. But it sounds super wrong. Just as those who see their livelihoods in the hands of large monopolistic enterprises and governments desire protection in the form of labor laws etc which sounds wrong to you.

Bare in mind that natural monopolies are pretty rare, and are not usually harmful to society: the only way they can achieve such status is by lowering the prices for the consumer, which is good for society

The issue is government created monopolies, giving special priviliges to certain companies which don't usually deserve them.

AppLeo

AppLeo, it’s true in what you’re saying that the current economic templates tend to exclude small business owners, especially the engine of the economy types. The philosophy of pure capitalism is enticing to this group who can perceive the systemic advantages granted to large or monopolistic enterprises. But it sounds super wrong. Just as those who see their livelihoods in the hands of large monopolistic enterprises and governments desire protection in the form of labor laws etc which sounds wrong to you.

I don't even know why I care so much about defending capitalism on an outdated astrology forum, but whatever...

Capitalism is good for EVERYONE and I'll tell you why....

Now that morality has been covered, capitalism can be bridged to morality. Capitalism is the only system that is consistent with the morality defined above. To explain how capitalism is the only system connected to this morality, it must first be defined. According to Ayn Rand in Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal “Capitalism is a social system based on the recognition of individual rights, including property rights in which all property is privately owned” (19). In other words, this is free market, unregulated, laissez-faire capitalism – a complete separation of state and economics. This is true capitalism is not to be confused with the mixed economies witnessed in countries like the United States.
Capitalism is connected to the proper morality because of its recognition of individual rights. Individual rights are what make it possible for people to practice the virtue of rationality. As Ayn Rand puts in The Virtue of Selfishness, “A ‘right’ is a moral principle defining and sanctioning a man’s freedom of action in a social context…the freedom to take all the actions required by the nature of a rational being” (93). In other words, individual rights protect us from criminals. Criminals are irrational people who use physical force when dealing with other men. Physical force is the antithesis to reason because “it is only by means of physical force that one man can deprive another of his life, or enslave him, or rob him or prevent him from pursuing his own goals, or compel him to act against his own rational judgment” (Rand 32). Furthermore, the only proper way men deal with men is by voluntary interaction where no one forces one another. People may only deal with one another “by means of*reason: by discussion, persuasion and voluntary, uncoerced agreement” (Rand 32). To put in a broader sense, this is a free market in practice. This is business or trade. Each individual chooses what to buy and what to sell by their own judgment. Not only does this apply materially, but also spiritually. People are free to choose the kinds of relationships they have. Free market capitalism’s recognition of this moral principle is what makes it the only moral system.

AppLeo

Every business owner is a monopoly in a sense. They are providing a product and uniqueness by virtue of their own individuality that no one else can completely replicate.

Furthermore, monopolies don't happen in the free market. As soon as a monopolistic company charges too much, another company will sell for less.

Further furthermore, if a company truly can beat out all of its competitors in a free market, why is this perceived as a problem? If a businessman has created a company that provides products costing lower than any other business, sells them at a higher quantity than any of other business, and provides the best products of any other business... this company should be thanked, congratulated and celebrated. What an accomplishment.

What would be despicable would be to divide it, break it apart, or force people to spend their tax money on a business that is dying or cannot compete. Why on Earth would we want a bad business to keep going if its products are more expensive, lower quality, and less quantity?

Last edited:

AppLeo

Apps, I read all her stuff back in high school! Except her theory I will admit to skimming at best because the writing is not engaging and it doesn’t admit dialogue. Or answer the question of how anyone is going to get to the necessary precondition of a world without interventionist government. Can you snap your fingers and pretend there’s no existing corrupt state-corporate collusion?

what a shame... her theory is so engaging! I read it for pleasure constantly. If you only you knew the depth and quality of her mind... She truly is an Aquarius with ideas ahead of their time. I guess we'll just have to wait for our good ol' grandfather Saturn to advance us in time.

Passifauna, if you're gonna skim her theory, then you aren't really critiquing her are you?

Also, the idea that because there's interventionist state-corporate collusion exists means that we can't have free market capitalism, can easily be used against anyone who says they don't want capitalism. It's actually even worse for those people because they're admitting that it's corrupt and entrenched and yet they're saying they want more and/or different government.

Dirius

I don’t know how you tell one from the other in the real world!
Can you snap your fingers and pretend there’s no existing corrupt state-corporate collusion?

There is, but in order to exist, there has to be a state issuing priviliges to companies in the first place.
:tongue:

For example: why does big pharma donate so much to politicians? so politicians can pass laws that benefit big pharma. A good example of such laws, was the affordable care act.

How does Obamacare benefit corporations? Well first it forces people to buy insurance. Then allows companies to charge whatever amount of money they want for medical services.

Essentially, consumers are compelled to get a product and pay an exurbitant rate, without much choice.

Thirdteenth

The roof! The roof! The roof is on fire! 🔥 We don’t need this ************! Burn! baby burn! Hi astrologyweekly members! :joyful: I hope your day was good and all :lol:

Thirdteenth

I’m trying to master the art of patience and tranquility *types while attempting to sit in a yoga position on the bed and she’s patting herself on the back because she really just did that*