Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Dignities & debilities

Dignities & debilities Board for discussing planets in dignities and debilities in natal charts.


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:43 PM
BadlyDrawnGirl BadlyDrawnGirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

I have this configuration in my natal chart and am just starting to figure out how it has played out in my life thus far. (My Venus is in Scorpio in 5th, my Mars is in Capricorn in 7th. I am a Scorpio sun and heavily stacked in Scorpio/5th and 6th houses.) I'm wondering if anyone knows of any resources on these two planets specifically as I would like to delve a lot more deeply into their dynamics - especially how they function as either exalted or in detriment. Maybe some reading on astrology and yin/yang energy, or masculinity/femininity?

For background, I have always had a very tomboy-ish disposition and have by nature distrusted close friendships with women (I have one or two, but the vast majority of my friends are guys). I tend to be very sexual in a submissive sort of way - but I am very aggressive in pursuing what I want, ha. I'm trying to understand the hangups I have surrounding gender since my distrust of women has spilled over into the jealousy arena (I view most women as competition, as rivals, and therefore as a potential threat) and is creating some fairly serious problems for me. I also have pretty severe self-worth issues which I imagine also have something to do with my weak Venus.

Thanks in advance for any advice, insight or recommendations.


Last edited by BadlyDrawnGirl; 07-16-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
IleneK's Avatar
IleneK IleneK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: in this mysterious cosmos
Posts: 5,370
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnGirl View Post
I have this configuration in my natal chart and am just starting to figure out how it has played out in my life thus far. (My Venus is in Scorpio in 5th, my Mars is in Capricorn in 7th. I am a Scorpio sun and heavily stacked in Scorpio/5th and 6th houses.) I'm wondering if anyone knows of any resources on these two planets specifically as I would like to delve a lot more deeply into their dynamics - especially how they function as either exalted or in detriment. Maybe some reading on astrology and yin/yang energy, or masculinity/femininity?

For background, I have always had a very tomboy-ish disposition and have by nature distrusted close friendships with women (I have one or two, but the vast majority of my friends are guys). I tend to be very sexual in a submissive sort of way - but I am very aggressive in pursuing what I want, ha. I'm trying to understand the hangups I have surrounding gender since my distrust of women has spilled over into the jealousy arena (I view most women as competition, as rivals, and therefore as a potential threat) and is creating some fairly serious problems for me. I also have pretty severe self-worth issues which I imagine also have something to do with my weak Venus.

Thanks in advance for any advice, insight or recommendations.
Regarding Venus in Scorpio in its detriment, I think if you consider Mars as its traditional ruler, then the qualities that you describe that your Venus manifests seem more understandable [tomboy-ish,competitive]. And this is emphasized even more since your Mars is exalted. Thus your Venus does not manifest so much in its traditional expression of beauty, adornment and so on.

The qualities of Scorpio that your Venus does have might explain the emphasis on sexuality and jealousy associated with it, projected perceived threat, and the like.

It might be interesting to know about your Moon to see if it sheds more light on how you relate to women.
__________________
Ilene

"You gotta have heart..." Richard Adler 1921-2012
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:26 PM
BadlyDrawnGirl BadlyDrawnGirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneK View Post
It might be interesting to know about your Moon to see if it sheds more light on how you relate to women.
My chart is below so you can see the big picture.

My Moon is in Sagittarius in the 6th house. So from my limited knowledge of the houses, that seems to have more sway over my career (or lack thereof, lol) than anything. I have had a few people mention that my Moon placement may be very significant, but I can't quite figure out how yet. It is unaspected though, just like my Mars.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Moog's Avatar
Moog Moog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In The Litter Tray
Posts: 2,701
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnGirl View Post
My chart is below so you can see the big picture.

My Moon is in Sagittarius in the 6th house. So from my limited knowledge of the houses, that seems to have more sway over my career (or lack thereof, lol) than anything. I have had a few people mention that my Moon placement may be very significant, but I can't quite figure out how yet. It is unaspected though, just like my Mars.
There's always a lot of debate around the issue of 6th/10th for work

Personally I feel the 10th makes more sense. And your 10th lord Jupiter is combust, which I find generally puts a dampner on those planets, and the life spheres they rule.

Combustion doesn't necessarily totally trash a planet, it depends on other factors.

However, since Jupiter rules 6 and 10 here, with this house system, it would be difficult to sort that issue out from your chart alone.

Also, I would read Venus (and the entirety of that small cluster of planets in Scorpio) as 'in' the 6th, due to proximity to the 6th cusp.

Saturn and Mars look very strong and good from here

Mars disposes most of the planets, so he's highly influential
__________________
My Chart, Tropical

Last edited by Moog; 07-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM
IleneK's Avatar
IleneK IleneK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: in this mysterious cosmos
Posts: 5,370
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnGirl View Post
My chart is below so you can see the big picture.

My Moon is in Sagittarius in the 6th house. So from my limited knowledge of the houses, that seems to have more sway over my career (or lack thereof, lol) than anything. I have had a few people mention that my Moon placement may be very significant, but I can't quite figure out how yet. It is unaspected though, just like my Mars.

It appears that your Moon is in conjunction with Uranus, unless you are looking only at the Sun through Saturn.

Your chart is very interesting in its pattern, with all planets located within the span of a square, or 90 degrees, and led by exalted Saturn with unaspected exalted, angular Mars bringing up the rear. Learning more about this bundle pattern, described in the early pages of Essentials of Astrological Analysis by modern astrologer Dr Marc Edmund Jones, might help you understand a lot more about your chart. I also think you can do a search of the web and find some info on chart patterns.
__________________
Ilene

"You gotta have heart..." Richard Adler 1921-2012
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM
BadlyDrawnGirl BadlyDrawnGirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moog View Post
Also, I would read Venus (and the entirety of that small cluster of planets in Scorpio) as 'in' the 6th, due to proximity to the 6th cusp.
Really? Just from looking at my chart they seem pretty clearly in the 5th - although possibly the cusp means that I'm meant to pursue some sort of creative or expressive line of work?

One of my primary goals at the moment is to understand how Venus Mars and Saturn have functioned in my life thus far and to learn to properly harness their energies going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneK View Post
It appears that your Moon is in conjunction with Uranus, unless you are looking only at the Sun through Saturn.

Your chart is very interesting in its pattern, with all planets located within the span of a square, or 90 degrees, and led by exalted Saturn with unaspected exalted, angular Mars bringing up the rear. Learning more about this bundle pattern, described in the early pages of Essentials of Astrological Analysis by modern astrologer Dr Marc Edmund Jones, might help you understand a lot more about your chart. I also think you can do a search of the web and find some info on chart patterns.
I would love to read anything you can find on interpreting this type of configuration.

And yes, I've known for a while I have a very atypical chart. I've had people outright be like "I don't know how to read a chart like this" and just give up lol. So it's been extremely difficult for me to interpret it in the absence of hard aspects (I'm not at all sure if a conjunction is a hard aspect or even much of an aspect at all since no one ever comments on all the conjunctions in my chart...even though I do see conjuncts being analyzed as individual entities in other people's charts). The only thing that stands out to me - aside from all the Chiron oppositions - are the trines that my Sun forms with my Capricorn Descendant. Is that significant in any way?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:29 PM
BadlyDrawnGirl BadlyDrawnGirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

It also just occurred to me how ironic my configuration is: as you say, strong Saturn in front and strong Mars at the rear and weak Venus kind of squashed between them in the middle. LOL. That sounds about right, hahaha.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM
IleneK's Avatar
IleneK IleneK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: in this mysterious cosmos
Posts: 5,370
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnGirl View Post

I would love to read anything you can find on interpreting this type of configuration.



And yes, I've known for a while I have a very atypical chart. I've had people outright be like "I don't know how to read a chart like this" and just give up lol. So it's been extremely difficult for me to interpret it in the absence of hard aspects (I'm not at all sure if a conjunction is a hard aspect or even much of an aspect at all since no one ever comments on all the conjunctions in my chart...even though I do see conjuncts being analyzed as individual entities in other people's charts). The only thing that stands out to me - aside from all the Chiron oppositions - are the trines that my Sun forms with my Capricorn Descendant. Is that significant in any way?
Try Essentials of Astrological Analysis by modern astrologer Dr Marc Edmund Jones as a source for chart patterns. It is available on Amazon. Or do a search of the web or some preliminary information about them.

The conjunction is an important aspect, seen by some as hard, but even if not hard, still extremely influential. And your chart is characterized by conjunctions, so they are quite worthy of being explored.

Sun trine the ascending point will allow your solar energy to shine through your ascendant, informing impressions that you make on others and also influencing how you see the world.
__________________
Ilene

"You gotta have heart..." Richard Adler 1921-2012
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:03 AM
BadlyDrawnGirl BadlyDrawnGirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneK View Post
Try Essentials of Astrological Analysis by modern astrologer Dr Marc Edmund Jones as a source for chart patterns. It is available on Amazon. Or do a search of the web or some preliminary information about them.

The conjunction is an important aspect, seen by some as hard, but even if not hard, still extremely influential. And your chart is characterized by conjunctions, so they are quite worthy of being explored.
I will do (re: the web search and reading) - thank you.

As far as my conjunctions go...does it make sense for me to interpret them as if they were, you know, isolated conjunctions in a chart?...or do they form something different when they're all on top of one another like they are in my chart? It would seem like when they all overlap like that they kind of blur into one another and create an entirely different dynamic altogether...ugh confusion.

Quote:
Sun trine the ascending point will allow your solar energy to shine through your ascendant, informing impressions that you make on others and also influencing how you see the world.
This makes sense - I think maybe I throw off mixed needy-squishy-emotional Cancer vibes at the same time as my balls-to-the-wall Scorpio vibes and it just confuses the hell out of everyone...lol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:15 AM
IleneK's Avatar
IleneK IleneK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: in this mysterious cosmos
Posts: 5,370
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnGirl View Post
As far as my conjunctions go...does it make sense for me to interpret them as if they were, you know, isolated conjunctions in a chart?...or do they form something different when they're all on top of one another like they are in my chart? It would seem like when they all overlap like that they kind of blur into one another and create an entirely different dynamic altogether...ugh confusion.


This makes sense - I think maybe I throw off mixed needy-squishy-emotional Cancer vibes at the same time as my balls-to-the-wall Scorpio vibes and it just confuses the hell out of everyone...lol.
Regarding the Scorpio multiple conjunction, I would begin by breaking it down into all its combinations: Sun-Mercury, Sun-Venus, Sun-Jupiter, Merc-Venus, Merc-Jupiter and Venus-Jupiter. This should start to give you a feel for how how the elements of the multiple conjunction work together. Synthesis begins with mastery of the fundamentals of the planets, signs, aspects, and it takes a good while to develop creative facility in interpretation. In the interim, breaking the configuration down will keep it from being so confusing.

The Sun coming through the Ascendent augments what you and others see. I don't think it would be confusing; water signs Cancer and Scorpio together are harmonious.
__________________
Ilene

"You gotta have heart..." Richard Adler 1921-2012
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM
BadlyDrawnGirl BadlyDrawnGirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneK View Post
Regarding the Scorpio multiple conjunction, I would begin by breaking it down into all its combinations: Sun-Mercury, Sun-Venus, Sun-Jupiter, Merc-Venus, Merc-Jupiter and Venus-Jupiter. This should start to give you a feel for how how the elements of the multiple conjunction work together. Synthesis begins with mastery of the fundamentals of the planets, signs, aspects, and it takes a good while to develop creative facility in interpretation. In the interim, breaking the configuration down will keep it from being so confusing.
I will do that - thanks.

Another question: since my Mars is not only exalted but unaspected...I'm sure this means problems with "plugging into" my ability to properly express anger...right? I mean what is keeping Mars from just running rampant over the rest of my chart? Not only that but with all the Scorpio energy throughout everything...it seems like my chart is overwhelmingly dominated by Mars. How do I get him to play nice with the rest of my planets?...lol.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM
IleneK's Avatar
IleneK IleneK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: in this mysterious cosmos
Posts: 5,370
Re: Exalted Mars/Venus in Detriment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnGirl View Post

Another question: since my Mars is not only exalted but unaspected...I'm sure this means problems with "plugging into" my ability to properly express anger...right? I mean what is keeping Mars from just running rampant over the rest of my chart? Not only that but with all the Scorpio energy throughout everything...it seems like my chart is overwhelmingly dominated by Mars. How do I get him to play nice with the rest of my planets?...lol.

Well, as I look more closely, Mars is not wholly unaspected. If you check the aspect table, you will see that Mars makes a very close semi-square [45 degree] angle to Venus. I would treat this as a hard aspect since no planet in the chart could be more than square another, given the bundle pattern. But Mars is angular, exalted, conjunct your South Node, while Venus is in her fall. So Mars still seems to me the mightier, the more influential, especially because of the scope of its rulership in your chart.

But back to your question about how you get your Mars to be less rogue and more properly integrated into your psyche? Well, I would say that it appears to be your life's work, bringing awareness to your unconscious martian responses in matters. As mentioned in an earlier post, exalted Saturn leads the pack of planets and Mars brings up the end. I would think that your cultivation of Saturn's gifts and skills will help you work with your Mars. The aspect chart also shows a special aspect between Mars and Saturn called the quintile. You may want to read up some on the quintile, with an eye towards employing its energy towards your desired end of getting Mars to play nice. The fact that you raise the question gives me confidence that you can begin moving towards that aspiration.
__________________
Ilene

"You gotta have heart..." Richard Adler 1921-2012
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
detriment, exalted, mars or venus

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.