How do you know if something is "afflicted" in your chart?

Oren

How does one go about determining if something is considered "afflicted" in one's chart? Please use mine attached as an example - would like to see if anything there is "afflicted" or if there are some major areas of concern or indicators of trouble, "dark sides" or pitfalls...

Attachments

• astro-my chart.gif
    astro-my chart.gif
    50.7 KB · Views: 136

wilsontc

Staff member
red aspects, to Oren

Oren,

You asked:
How does one go about determining if something is considered "afflicted" in one's chart?

One simple way to tell this if using an astro.com chart is to look for all the aspects in red.

Afflicted,

Tim

starlink

Hi Oren, aspects causing affliction are oppositions and squares, being the major one's and then there are inconjuncts (150°) and some conjunctions when it is between two planets which dont go well together like a Saturn-Uranus conjunction for instance.

In your chart the afflictions lie between your Sun and Venus opposing Saturn and Mars as well as the opposition from Pluto to Mercury and the square between your Moon and Neptune. As you can see, those are the red lines Tim is talking about:).

The areas where these afflictions lie are between your 5th house (your selfexpression) and your 11th house (how you express yourself amongst friends) , your 9th (your believes, opinions) and 1st houses (who you are). I count the Pluto-Mercury opposition also to your 11th-5th houses because Pluto and Mercury are counted as being in the next house due to the fact that they are less than 5° away from the next cusp.

I would never look at stress aspects as something showing a "dark side" or a "pitfall". They are issues to be dealt with so you won't run into problems, personally and emotionally. The Moon-Neptune square could represent an aspect of yourself, perhaps sometimes being a bit unrealistic about what you think, your opinions or ideas. The Sun opposition to Saturn and Mars is actually interesting as these two planets are each others opposites by themselves, SAturn being the careful and strict one, posing limitations and Mars being the "go for it" one and of course Mars is the stronger of the two as he is in a sign which belongs to him (traditionally Scorpio is ruled by Mars). So there could be a conflict between what you want (Sun) and how you express yourself which can be quite inflexible (Taurus) versus what others want to do. Maybe you dont like the fact that others, friends, could take the initiative (Mars) or that some are too conservative (Saturn) or it can represent a conflict within your own psyche (shall I wait or shall I go?). Especially maybe in the romantic area as the 5th house with that strong Venus in own sign in there, represents romance at it's best.

The Pluto-Mercury opposition can play into this, because Mercury rules your 7th house of relationships. Pluto wants to control and not let go of a relationship which can cause problems if you cannot find a balance (opposition) between these two.

Hope to have given you some ideas.

Starlink

wilsontc

Staff member
basic chart, to John

John,

The standard chart on astro.com is in the "Free" section and is called "Natal Chart, Ascendant". The standard chart will show stress aspects in red, and the "easy" aspects in blue.

Following up,

Tim

JUPITERASC

How does one go about determining

if something is considered"afflicted"

in one's chart?
Please use mine attached as an example
- would like to see if anything there is "afflicted"

or if there are some major areas of concern
or indicators of trouble, "dark sides" or pitfalls...
Afflicting = causing damage to a house or planet.
If one of the malefics is in bad aspect to another planet,
the latter is afflicted by it.

Mars
Saturn
or
the South Node

can afflict houses by their presence

particularly if they are poorly dignified and involved in difficult aspects. :smile:

Planets that are usually considered benefics can also afflict
IF
they are in a damaged state
OR
act as rulers of the houses that are traditionally considered unfortunate
i.e.
4th, 6th, 8th and 12th houses.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/afflicting.html

johnstevens

Re: basic chart, to John

John,

The standard chart on astro.com is in the "Free" section and is called "Natal Chart, Ascendant". The standard chart will show stress aspects in red, and the "easy" aspects in blue.

Following up,

Tim

Would you mind posting a link? I tried going on that website, although I wasn't able to find anything?

[image of astro.com free chart location attached (in the rectangular section) - Moderator]

Attachments

• astro.com chart.jpg
    astro.com chart.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator: