Strong Mercury but why can´t I write?

MiaMiaMia

Hi everyone!

I´ve got a pretty good Mercury, but writing comes very difficult to me and the results aren´t great. My questions are : is there any indication in my chart that I could salvage it, and if, then how? Or if something is blocking it, then what is it? And if I have only limited potential, then what should I best focus on (genre, theme, etc)?

showgif.cgi

Mercury 20°01' Я Aquarius, in House VII

Mercury Aspects
Mercury opposite Ascendant orb -5°40'
Mercury opposite Ceres orb -5°16'
Mercury sextile Juno orb +0°24'
Mercury sextile Venus orb -3°09'
Mercury opposite Mars orb -7°58'
Mercury trine Vesta orb +5°44'
Mercury bi-quintile Chiron orb -0°04'
Sun conjunction Mercury orb +10°42

The Way

You have your Mercury placed Rx (retrograde) which indicates delays, problems, inhibitions, regarding Mercury themes. Communication, writing, typing, all experience delays. Mercury retrograde, as all other retrograde planets, doesn't function in its normal way as it is apparently (an illusion) moving backward in the sky.

MiaMiaMia

You have your Mercury placed Rx (retrograde) which indicates delays, problems, inhibitions, regarding Mercury themes. Communication, writing, typing, all experience delays. Mercury retrograde, as all other retrograde planets, doesn't function in its normal way as it is apparently (an illusion) moving backward in the sky.

Interesting, I also have issues with my siblings (I thought it was the mercury-mars opposition), so I see things not going right! Thanks for your reply.

MiaMiaMia

Actually your Mercury has the third lowest power in your chart; the 3rd house of communication is very low in power, as is Gemini.

I'm not surprised as all.

Very interesting, can you show me how to calculate the power of my houses/planets? I would like to know which one are strong.

Starsareround

Hey maybe this will help: Mercury also represents other things like selling, for instance. I have a very very very strong merc but writing ain’t my thing. It turns out I’m a brilliant technical salesperson which I would have never dreamed in a bazillion years. There are all these interesting things that mercury is associated with so especially if you have the retrograde you might want to check out the lesser discussed strengths of mercury individuals...

MiaMiaMia

Hey maybe this will help: Mercury also represents other things like selling, for instance. I have a very very very strong merc but writing ain’t my thing. It turns out I’m a brilliant technical salesperson which I would have never dreamed in a bazillion years. There are all these interesting things that mercury is associated with so especially if you have the retrograde you might want to check out the lesser discussed strengths of mercury individuals...

Yes, I´ve read that it can also represent short distance travel, technical skills, learning, etc. I´ll look into that.

How do you know how strong your mercury is in the first place? I think I might have misjudged mine.

MiaMiaMia

PHP:
https://astrowin.org/natal_cosmodynes/dynes_table.php?sh22=1

(clicking on the link will open the page to the grid)

According to Astrowin my Mercury, Gemini, Virgo, houses 3 and 9 are indeed pretty weak :unsure:
I´m curious about my weak 3rd house : I was a decent student in middle school.
And my 9th house : does that mean difficulties at college?

Starsareround

Yes, I´ve read that it can also represent short distance travel, technical skills, learning, etc. I´ll look into that.

How do you know how strong your mercury is in the first place? I think I might have misjudged mine.

Yes I wouldn’t say that yours is so extremely strong. For comparisons sake: my mercury is in Virgo, in the first house, conjunct the ascendant. My sun is also in Virgo, in the first house. Ascendant also Virgo. My Mercury Sextile jupiter and Uranus and is squared by Neptune. So pretty much mercury runs the show in my chart. But instead of writing, I zip around in my lab solving problems with optics and purchasing product and selling and fixing eyeglass frames. I think it works with all my first house placements because there is a need there to use the body and DO stuff rather than write. So I think it helps to go beyond the obvious ( I would have been very unhappy as a writer) when discovering how to express a planets energies. Not sayin it’s easy, I found my career almost by accident.

MiaMiaMia

Yes I wouldn’t say that yours is so extremely strong. For comparisons sake: my mercury is in Virgo, in the first house, conjunct the ascendant. My sun is also in Virgo, in the first house. Ascendant also Virgo. My Mercury Sextile jupiter and Uranus and is squared by Neptune. So pretty much mercury runs the show in my chart. But instead of writing, I zip around in my lab solving problems with optics and purchasing product and selling and fixing eyeglass frames. I think it works with all my first house placements because there is a need there to use the body and DO stuff rather than write. So I think it helps to go beyond the obvious ( I would have been very unhappy as a writer) when discovering how to express a planets energies. Not sayin it’s easy, I found my career almost by accident.

Interesting placements! How did you know it was the right fit for you? Was it based on feeling? Ability?

Starsareround

Thank you! I actually kind of stumbled upon it. I was looking for a new career and I was lead to this licensure program that sounded interesting. I had no idea if I’d be any good at it but it’s is an out of the ballpark good match actually. I think sometimes life has a way of leading you where you are supposed to be. I see you have another thread about dominant planets. I’ll comment on that later...I do think you’ll find your calling/passion in a non-mercury themed field.

Starsareround

Just taking a quick glance I’m thinking you might want to look at your mars...I am not a fan of the style of chart you posted because I find them a bit unclear but your mars looks very strong and is also a release point in your chart which helps you express all your other planets...

MiaMiaMia

Just taking a quick glance I’m thinking you might want to look at your mars...I am not a fan of the style of chart you posted because I find them a bit unclear but your mars looks very strong and is also a release point in your chart which helps you express all your other planets...

I´m glad to hear this, it´s actually very uplifting, since the whole career/major process is so frustrating sometimes. Do you find that your weaker planets/houses/signs play a minor role in your life, or a detrimental one?

Thanks so much for your time, I´ll be very happy tor read what you have to say on my other thread.

I find it funny how my Mars is strong, but I´m not athletic, authoritative, interested in the military, etc... I´ll have to look into its other meanings.

Here is a clearer chart :
https://www.astro.com/cgi/showgif.cgi?lang=e&gif=astro_w2gw_mia_mimia.48158.22376.png&res=63
showgif.cgi

IleneK

Premium Member
I would like to see your chart more clearly and the image you just posted has expired.

All the planets in your chart play a role in your life, and they can be strong or weak, fortunate or unfortunate, supportive or unsupportive depending upon how you use them to meet what arises in your life. You will use the weaker and the stronger planets for everything, as they are a reflection of everything that you are.

I would like to talk a bit more about what you mean when you say writing comes very difficult and the results aren't good. I will tell you that I have an excellent Mer in Gemini in the 10th, ruling the Asc and the MC and sextile Merc and Moon. And I will tell you that when I was your age, and long after that, too, writing anything any good did not come easy at all.

The way for writing to come easy is to practice it a lot, like anything else. No matter how bad it is be begin with, and I can believe it may be pretty poor, if you practice it, it will only get better, not worse. And if you practice it enough it will get easy and it will get good. Now I'm not talking about being a professional writer, but I am talking about using it to communicate and tell the stories that you want to tell.

I think a main problem for you, along with the opposition from Mars, which I think is significant, is your Merc and Sun in the 7th house of the Other. This is where you may be "giving it away" so to speak or expecting it somehow to come to you from the outside or the "other." Your ability to write is in you and the way it will be activated and then refined is by your using it when it is rough and unskilled, as it feels to you. When you embrace this uncomfortable and unwanted poor writer in you.
The gift to write resides in you if you will engage and employ it.
I wish you the very best,
Ilene

Last edited:

MiaMiaMia

I would like to see your chart more clearly and the image you just posted has expired.

All the planets in your chart play a role in your life, and they can be strong or weak, fortunate or unfortunate, supportive or unsupportive depending upon how you use them to meet what arises in your life. You will use the weaker and the stronger planets for everything, as they are a reflection of everything that you are.

I would like to talk a bit more about what you mean when you say writing comes very difficult and the results aren't good. I will tell you that I have an excellent Mer in Gemini in the 10th, ruling the Asc and the MC and sextile Merc and Moon. And I will tell you that when I was your age, and long after that, too, writing anything any good did not come easy at all.

The way for writing to come easy is to practice it a lot, like anything else. No matter how bad it is be begin with, and I can believe it may be pretty poor, if you practice it, it will only get better, not worse. And if you practice it enough it will get easy and it will get good. Now I'm not talking about being a professional writer, but I am talking about using it to communicate and tell the stories that you want to tell.

I think a main problem for you, along with the opposition from Mars, which I think is significant, is your Merc and Sun in the 7th house of the Other. This is where you may be "giving it away" so to speak or expecting it somehow to come to you from the outside or the "other." Your ability to write is in you and the way it will be activated and then refined is by your using it when it is rough and unskilled, as it feels to you. When you embrace this uncomfortable and unwanted poor writer in you.
The gift to write resides in you if you will engage and employ it.
I wish you the very best,
Ilene

Thank you so much, this was very uplifting to read. I can see what you pointed out about my Mercury. It´s a difficult thing to deal with because I think I make myself powerless.

Can you elaborate on how your own Mercury changed over time? Do you get to use it in your career for example?

I added attachments that hopefully will work!

Attachments

• MiaMiaMia Astro.com chart png.png
    MiaMiaMia Astro.com chart png.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 26
  • MiaMiaMia Astrowin powers png.png
    MiaMiaMia Astrowin powers png.png
    87 KB · Views: 20

david starling

[IMO] You're conflicted as to WHAT to write, and it IS important to you as to how it will affect your readers, and the world in general. It's related to your sense of purpose--once you know THAT, writing will come easily, but it could take some time for you to reconcile your Aquarian Mercury with your Leo Ascendant.

IleneK

Premium Member
Thank you so much, this was very uplifting to read. I can see what you pointed out about my Mercury. It´s a difficult thing to deal with because I think I make myself powerless.

Can you elaborate on how your own Mercury changed over time? Do you get to use it in your career for example?

I added attachments that hopefully will work!

You are so very welcome.

I don't recall the details of how Merc changed over time, but I did begin to use it in my earlier career with technical writing and later in life I began writing astrological delineations, which is technical but also narrative. But not without a lot of doubt, even when extremely schooled bosses/astrologers said I was quite good.

So, how well you write is going to depend upon your willingness to do it a lot and also will depend upon the mindset you hold about it. It is important to be as kind and generous with yourself as you undertake to begin practice writing, of any kind. Daily journaling, anything really. But be kind to yourself as you would be to a toddler taking her first steps and falling down, a lot.

Kindness toward self is the cornerstone.

david starling

There are writing "workshops" (there's one at a local community college in my area), where aspiring writers support each other and even get published in a college journal.

MiaMiaMia

[IMO] You're conflicted as to WHAT to write, and it IS important to you as to how it will affect your readers, and the world in general. It's related to your sense of purpose--once you know THAT, writing will come easily, but it could take some time for you to reconcile your Aquarian Mercury with your Leo Ascendant.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head!:w00t: Ok, so my puzzle pieces are Leo Mars and Aqua Mercury... any other clues? :p