Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM

Re: Pluto, The Moon and the Devouring Mother Archetype

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
Stargazer, my moon and Pluto are widely conjunct, but closely parallel (which works like a conjunction.) My mother's sun was in Scorpio. Her moon was in Leo opposite my sun.

My mother worked very hard to do all the externals of mothering correctly: meals on the table, a well-kept home, clean nice clothes for the kids, support for "extras," &c-- what was missing for me was that warm fuzzy sense of a mother who tended to the inner relationships. I found her to be emotionally distant-- and I say this as an Aquarian! I found her to be constantly judgemental, so I learned not to share very much with her. So controlling, in a way, but never the smothering mother archetype. I went away to college when I was 17 and I never got the feeling she missed me when I was away. She was much closer to my older brother, but even so, not in an emotionally close kind of way that I could tell.

My parents were extremely protective in trying to shield us from the bad things of life; but perhaps to a fault, because I grew up extremely naïve about life.

So while I think my relationship with my mother could be described as dysfunctional and overly protective in some ways, it was far more remote and distant for her to be classified as the smothering mother who cannot let go of her children.
This could describe how my mom / family was, too.

These strong feelings towards mom have been stirring up in me my whole life but, I think, with Saturn now transiting my 4th house I'm finally learning to differentiate and see where and how to draw the line with how much of what I struggle with is my fault and how much was the fault of my mom.

The Following User Says Thank You to StarGazerGirl For This Useful Post:
waybread (05-31-2016)
Unread 01-20-2017, 02:28 AM

my moon(pisces) square pluto:
I lost my birth mother when I was 7 years old, her mother, my grandmother, was my mother.
my birth mother was an bipolar, she was an addict. I didn't get the "emotional" or "physical" attachment to her, due to the fact she was in n out of a mental hospital till I was 4.
she was just starting to get her life straight, she was living downtown in the homeless shelter.
I have no memory of my birth mother, only pictures.
--
My grandma is my mother, she is my best friend, she was the one who woke up in the middle of the night when I cried as new born, she was 56 when I was born.
she has always been my rock, I got the emotional & physical attachment to my grandma, she was the only thing that was stable during my childhood.
******* She is Aquarius Sun & Pisces Moon - just like me!!!! **********
StillOne (04-17-2017)
Unread 01-20-2017, 04:48 AM

How great that you had a loving grandmother to look after you. Addiction is a huge problem in our society. It is sad that your mother couldn't escape it.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 04-16-2017, 07:25 PM

I have my scorpio moon conjunct pluto (~1 d. orb). My mom was my favorite parent until I was a tween, around 11-12 years old. She was very protective and wouldn't let my sister and I go out much, though much of that is also cultural (we're from a pretty traditional culture). She was also intrusive of our privacy yet at the same time very absent in our lives. She also was very controlling of my dad and didn't like him visiting his family, and really didn't like his family. In short, I resented her for a long time until recently, I think I've made my peace. She had an extremely hard life, with her facing early life responsibilities (having to care for her younger sister while still a child, taking care of her father who was bipolar in a time and place where mental health care was very barbaric), poverty, domestic violence, etc. She is the way she is because of circumstance and she did the best she could with what she had. When all is said and done I don't think she did too bad for herself. I think this aspect is very difficult and painful but ultimately I think we're charged with learning something from this and helping others. I don't think I'm ever going to have an actual relationship with my mother because I think she is incapable of emotionally relating in a healthy and honest way, at least at this time, but I respect her.
Unread 04-17-2017, 02:23 AM

Pluto also has the capacity for profound healing. Compassion and understanding are a good beginning. You are on your way!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 04-17-2017, 05:08 AM

Thank you waybread, that is much appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to belabismo For This Useful Post:
waybread (04-17-2017)
Unread 06-20-2018, 08:40 PM

My husband has this in his chart, and I can confirm... his mother is a narcissist and she clings to him in a very unhealthy and toxic way. The way she loves him is very self-centered and self-indulgent. She dumps on him emotionally and expects him to nurture her. He is just starting to put some healthy boundaries up, and things are a bit better now.
Unread 02-29-2020, 09:45 PM

I stumbled across this thread in search of Moon opposite Pluto interpretation because my youngest Son has this aspect. The Moon makes one other aspect in his chart and it is a square to the Sun. I heard that Sun square Moon can indicate a challenging relationship between the parents especially around the birth. This is true, as his father did not want me to be pregnant with him ( my 3rd child of his ) I thought he would get over it after he was born but he didn't. I felt very protective over him, and wanted to shield him from his father's undercurrent of rejection. The relationship deteriorated and I left my husband when my son was 4. Soon after I was involved in extreme violence from him for leaving and was quite a mess. Before I left him I was badgered a lot for sex which I hated and often invited the kids into my bed to avoid any contact. I thought this harmless at the time, I was a very young parent, and obviously this was not a great thing to do. Reflecting back I also went into profound depression when my Son was 2 and he was very much witness to this. I know I felt an extreme love towards my Son and felt as though his presence was my shining light. I still feel to this day that he is like an angel in my life. When he was young and I was a single parent he would stand close to me when any new people came into the house and was quietly very protective and still is. Obviously I am picking out things which illustrate this aspect, there is much more to my Leo Son who is now 27. He has suffered with depression and only left home last year. I sensed that I should encourage him to branch out more. It has been frightening letting him go as I fear the depth of his depression at times. He can be quiet at such times and I feel a need to check in with him. My daughter feels the same and we often tag team inconspicuously to make sure he is ok. He seems to be improving. I hate that he is on medication and want him to get off of it. I had a dream years ago that all 3 of us were in a red Indian tribe ( I do have this ancestory )My daughter and I rode down a hill on horses to scout for enemies. While we were gone we decided that we were doomed and took off. We soon turned around to go back to the tribe and found them massacred, including my Leo Son, we were of course anhillated in our emotions and never recovered. We both feel incredibly protective, grateful, and indescribably deep love for his loving heart in this life and I wonder how this dream reflects an ancient truth and undercurrent in this life.
Unread 02-29-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSag View Post
I have an heavily aspected pluto, the apex of my grand kite. My child's moon conjuncts my venus but opposes my pluto. We love each other dearly but do argue. My child's natal chart doesn't have the moon making any aspects to pluto so I'm wondering what impact this will have.
Pluto does not lead to any arguments - it is too impersonal a planet for such emotions that would lead to arguments. You need to look at the whole chart if you want to practise Astrology correctly. If you posted your own chart or your child's and have questions about your relationship, I can point out what you should be looking at.

“Some people try to be tall by cutting off the heads of others.” —Paramahansa Yogananda
Unread 05-17-2021, 03:42 PM

I have moon square pluto (in Pisces) and I think it is true for me for both of my parents. (since the moon symbolizes the home environment) They are controlling and have destructive ways of showing their love (hurting, trying to control, stalking, trust issues, obsessive tendencies) they used to check my messages and control my every move. They sometimes try to buy my love with money (idk if it's a scorpionic move) They are overly protective and are destructive to anyone who is willing to hurt me.

There was always a distance between me and my mother. She was absent because she had to work. She also says that she had lots of traumatic things happened to her. She was extremely perfectionist when it comes to being a mother. She said that she never left us alone because there might be dangerous situations. She also wanted to control both me and my brother as her ideal kids. (What we should do with our lives and even our slightest choices, she interfered) My grandma raised me (who has moon opposite pluto in pisces) and I do love her and the emotional support she provided to me.

I do have a tendency to act as a mother and being obsessed with the idea of it but it changes really quickly.

I also heard from another source that girls with moon pluto aspects (even soft aspects) attract lots of hatred or jealousy from other females. Being overprotective over the ones you love, being a loner, having trust issues, afraid of the world's possibilities(harsher aspects), or transforming your emotions continuously. It's a big transformation aspect.

Last edited by devilmaycare; 05-17-2021 at 04:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to devilmaycare For This Useful Post:
OuterPlanets89 (05-17-2021)

Tags
archetype, devouring, moon, mother, pluto