MC same as South Node, significance?

I'm new to astrology so I don't know much but this feels backwards to me. If MC is about career and South Node is the part of you that you're trying to move away from, would having this in a chart mean some kind of struggle? Or does it just mean that I have to integrate more south node qualities into my career? Thanks so much everyone :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.22.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.22.18 AM.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 24

Osamenor

Staff member
South node isn't necessarily what you're getting away from. It can simply be a base that you're working from. North node is what you're integrating more of into your life, but that doesn't necessarily mean get rid of the south node. Do you have to get rid of the basic addition and subtraction you learned in first grade to learn trigonometry?

For career purposes, it's fine to use whatever your MC indicates even if it shares a placement with your south node. In your case, the south node isn't right at the MC, but it is in the same sign, so both have a Cancerian message.

Your south node is in your ninth house, and the tenth place. MC doesn't just indicate career, it also indicates publicity, public reputation. When I see south node with the MC, the first thing I think is that the native is coming out of a past life experience of being highly visible, and may have a strong expectation on themself to be highly visible now. Past life can mean literal past life if you believe in that, or it can mean your family's past, or it can simply mean the deeply held assumptions and expectations you've absorbed from your family and culture and all that came before you.

Ninth house adds a suggestion of belief, philosophy. Cancer is family, your people. If we're constructing a past life story out of this, we could say that once upon a past life, you came from a prominent, highly visible family (tenth house, Cancer) and their religious beliefs (ninth house) shaped your whole life, and you were probably under a lot of pressure to maintain appearances (tenth house/public reputation).

Capricorn and third/fourth house is the counterbalance to that. Capricorn demands authenticity and knowing yourself, not just falling back on your family's or culture's beliefs. Third house in contrast to ninth asks you to examine the details for yourself, consider all information, and draw your own conclusions. Not blind faith, but going on what you know for yourself. If you did in fact have a religious upbringing, that could mean reexamining the religion you were raised with and drawing your own conclusions about it.

Fourth house in contrast to tenth calls for honoring your own inner self, not making it all about public image, and choosing your own family (by marrying and having kids, or by creating a chosen family of friends) who can support you in your authenticity. The whole north node picture that these placements indicate is not throwing away your career, or even necessarily any urge you might have to be in the spotlight, but getting rid of anything that's inauthentic about the way you've lived before or your public image. Which would leave you, ultimately, with a public image that's true to who you really are.