How to incorporate Sabian Symbols into my chart synthesis?

Phoenix Venus

I have read my sabian symbols before but I am wondering how to actually incorporate them into a chart reading.

I understand that they modify the interpretation of the planet, but how, exactly? The symbolism seems almost as if it is a seperate entity on its own. Is there a particular method for synthesising planetary and sabian symbolism?

Here are 4 of mine. Pluto Venus & Mercury, which are strong planets for me, and mars as it is probably my weakest and most challenging planet. Could someone give me an example of how they modify the meaning of the planets in my chart for overall integration? My chart is posted in my signature.

Venus - 0.49 Scorpio

SCORPIO 1°: A CROWDED SIGHTSEEING BUS ON A CITY STREET.
KEYNOTE: The fundamental human eagerness to expand one's social horizon and to experience the results of collective achievements and new ways of life.

Pluto - 9.01 scorpio

SCORPIO 10°: A FELLOWSHIP SUPPER REUNITES OLD COMRADES.
KEYNOTE: The overtones of human relationships based on a community of work or experiences.

Mercury - 11.43 Scorpio

SCORPIO 12°: AN OFFICIAL EMBASSY BALL.
KEYNOTE: Group-consciousness, as it flowers at the highest level in cultural interchanges between representatives of the elite of the ruling class.

Mars - 1.44 libra

LIBRA 2°: THE TRANSMUTATION OF THE FRUITS OF PAST EXPERIENCES INTO THE SEED-REALIZATIONS OF THE FOREVER CREATIVE SPIRIT.
KEYNOTE: A repolarization of inner energies leading to a creative centralization of consciousness.

For instance does mars conjuncting south node alter this interpretation for the better or worse, as it relates to past experiences?

And does pluto conjunct mercury effect it's meaning - as i generally want to expose the elite's corrupt ways rather than "mingle" with them?

quotes from dane rudhyar

Focus on any of these points, other sabian symbols in my chart, or really any comments on integrating the symbols into the chart, would be welcome.​

Thanks.

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
I'm not sure I understand your question, since I do what you are asking about doing.

For me the Sabian's, as well as the the ones from Charubel and Sepharial and Alfred Witte's sensitive points, are what I call a third level interpretation. After I've looked at the points, from their aspects, their relation to planets and asteroids, their connections to Arabic Parts, I will sometimes look at the symbol systems that are used to define the points. After that I might do a persona chart on the point if its really substantial in the chart.

That's how I do it. After that I might look at Fixed stars that are on that point also.

Phoenix Venus

I'm glad to understand how much importance you place on the sabian symbols. I suppose i was just looking for some guidance on how to go about interpreting the symbols within the context of what is in the natal. For instance, finding the strongest sabian point? I would assume it would be whichever one conjuncts the strongest planet, but i would also speculate that it has something to do with the relation between the planet/sign/house and the sabian symbol. I read something that said look at the axis points. Now i am very curious about those. Are they the most crucial points to look at due to the sensitivity of the axis? Reading mine evoked such a deep resonance with me, so i'm wondering how to go about APPLYING them into my life, within the context of my natal. Ascendant: 1.09 Scorpio
SCORPIO 2°: A DELICATE BOTTLE OF PERFUME LIES BROKEN, RELEASING ITS FRAGRANCE. KEYNOTE: The accidental nature of opportunities that impel one to break away from a past, the remembrance of which is still poignant and cherished.
Descendant: 1.09 Taurus
TAURUS 2°: AN ELECTRICAL STORM. KEYNOTE: The cosmic power able to transform all the implications of natural existence.
IC: 6.24 Aquarius
AQUARIUS 7°: A CHILD IS SEEN BEING BORN OUT OF AN EGG. KEYNOTE: The emergence of new mutations according to the great rhythms of the cosmos.
MC: 6.24 Leo
LEO 7°: THE CONSTELLATIONS OF STARS SHINE BRILLIANTLY IN THE NIGHT SKY. KEYNOTE: The power of basic spiritual values which refer to man's common humanity and to all enduring archetypes.
wow. Those hit me with an impact. Takes on a whole new meaning of the axis. Is there a way to use the natal to access or bring about that symbolism? How do they interact with the planets that are aspecting those points?

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

some coincidences regarding the ac/mc sabian symbols... my first name means resurrection and my last name has astro in it... also for ic, my childhood street name started with aqua (like something born from an egg starts out)

Last edited:

piercethevale

I wish I had the time to help you personally, but I don't presently.
I have at least over 3,000 posts in the forum explaining and or giving demonstrations of what you ask. If I hadn't gotten perturbed with AW a few years back there would be at least another 3,000 that I deleted.

Try to think of it as the same as integrating a Signs qualities with any planet. [although I personally pay little attention to placements in signs...due to the fact that I have to agree with the siderealists somewhat. Someone will figure that all out someday, in the meantime I'm getting by just fine.] As for the axis points I've written enough on that here in the forum that should serve as examples. Better yet go to this link and read Rudhyar's explanation of how to do it.
http://mindfire.ca/The Sabian Symbols/An Astrological Mandala - Contents.htm

and specifically this link for the chart axis understanding:
http://mindfire.ca/The Sabian Symbols/An Astrological Mandala - The Cross and the Star.htm

As far as rating planetary of importance...I give it at least equal status with anything else in astrology. As to the chart axis I rate it number one. As to Parts another number one priority.

And as for Charubel, Sepharial and Alfred Witte's stuff...:pinched::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

No problem, i think i'm understanding the gist of it on my own, with the help of some of your threads :tongue:

in a spiritual sense, there seems to be a lot of points in my chart that deal with letting go of the past in order to enter a new reincarnation cycle.. then the IC point talks about the birthing of a person of mutatuion or whithout ancestors, a new, global man coming here to create change..

it all sounds very exciting and whether taken literally or figuratively, has some interesting implications.

and i really like that my mc point has to do with astrology, as honestly, that was one of the major kickstarts into my spiritual journey.

I realize you are busy, but what about if i were to attempt to do a chart reading for you, including sabian symbols? i wouldn't make it too long. all you would have to do is give me some pointers on how i did.

it helps when learning new astrology to practice it on other astrologers who know what they are doing.

we could do it in pm if you prefer. if you don't have the time right now, it's all good.

if anyone else who knows about sabian symbolism would like for me to give them a reading, just let me know :)

Sweet Pea

You know how in tarot, it's suggested that you look at the card and then close your eyes and take yourself imaginatively into the picture on that card and 'hear' what the person/image is saying, intuitively? Having a conversation, reaching a revelation that is more implicit in the image than explicit and which speaks directly to you, not to everyone.

Now take the same principle and make your planet (say, Venus) be a person. Use the Sabian symbol to give you a starting point for writing a story involving Venus. Let your intuition/imagination flow. Just start writing and keep writing, using the Sabian theme as your 'framework'. See where it goes....

Phoenix Venus

a lot of my parts (part of destiny etc) have to do with the same themes - dealing with the ghosts of the past as a new cycle emerges.. my mc seems to be my saving grace, allowing me to understand synchronicity & symbolism in order to help humanity achieve this... and my POF is telling me to make sure to sift through all the symbolism and ideas to discard what doesn't belong. hmmm.

this aspect of astrology seems to be very interesting. it relates very closely to my ideas of the world and society.

Oh yeah, PTV, i forgot to ask - you mentioned that you don't use signs much because of the tropical/sidereal dynamic.. but that alters the sabian symbols too. so theoretically, shouldn't you be using whatever system that you use to derive the sabian symbolism? why discard the signs and not the sabian symbols?

again, anyone who wants a reading and can give me some pointers, let me know.

Phoenix Venus

You know how in tarot, it's suggested that you look at the card and then close your eyes and take yourself imaginatively into the picture on that card and 'hear' what the person/image is saying, intuitively? Having a conversation, reaching a revelation that is more implicit in the image than explicit and which speaks directly to you, not to everyone.

Now take the same principle and make your planet (say, Venus) be a person. Use the Sabian symbol to give you a starting point for writing a story involving Venus. Let your intuition/imagination flow. Just start writing and keep writing, using the Sabian theme as your 'framework'. See where it goes....

that is an interesting idea. i will have to meditate on some of the symbols. thanks :)

Phoenix Venus

My part of soul -
PISCES 8°: A GIRL BLOWING A BUGLE.
KEYNOTE: A call to participation in the service of the race, as an evolutionary crisis approaches.

The individual who envisions this evolutionary development "sounds the call." He or she is both seer-herald and mutant. In that sense such a human being is both an individual true to his original nature and a dedicated person — dedicated to the future he or she holds in latency as does a seed in mutation.

man, everything in my chart seems to be bringing up this theme of a new age...
of being a MUTATION (lol) in order to wipe away the past... My part of spiritual inheritance is conjunct my jupiter at 26 aries..it too talks of a new type of world and spiritual consiousness.. don't know if i see the world in this way (messed up, f*cked, in need of major change) due to my chart symbolism, or due to an evolutionary process which is actually happening and my chart will allow me the opportunity to help.. ?

okay, sorry, enough self-absorbed loaded first house postulating on my end. :p

Last edited:

piercethevale

For some reason the Sabians haven't moved in at least 2000 years. My tested and trusted clairvoyant friend confirms this.
I just posted something the other day in one of the threads about how I suspect the 360 Divine [or Cosmic if you prefer] Precepts that the symbols illustrate are actually emanating from the 72 Angels of the Quinaries.
Sweet pea gave a suggestion that is as good as any I could give...and actually expressed it better.
Good job, Sweet Pea!

I'd write more but my health has been poorly and I'm trying to prioritize.

ps It's because of Humankinds presence on this Earth ...where we shouldn't have been in the first place [remember We got kicked out of Eden] that gave the Creator cause to bestow those Precepts for our development. Kind of a special order...a factory addition, if you will.... [am I making any sense to you?]

Last edited:

piercethevale

also, P.V., from what I read of your last posts I'd say you're getting the swing of it all right.
You'll find that common 'tenor' in a natal chart [that I am forever in awe of "How does it manage to do that?"] As you are a musician I think you can appreciate this all the more,

piercethevale

Also, read the thread I have in the Mundane sub forum in the Country section on the natal chart of the USA "WHO" "WHERE-TO" for a good chart axis analogy...well, I think it's good, anyways.

And besides women are more attuned [left brain activity] to this sort of thing... you'll get better at it and we men will eventually be listening to you on these matters...at least that's what i think.

piercethevale

Last thought. The chart axis and Parts symbols for the chart I propose IS that of Jesus/Yeshu'a is the prime example. That's why I titled the book i wrote about it "A Template for the Time", because it is a template one can apply for understanding how it all works.

piercethevale

I ain't going to be around too much longer. It'd be nice if someone does finally get good enough at this so as the knowledge continues on and expands. I think you and Sweet Pea might be among those that will.
Like I said it seems you two on well on your way.

Phoenix Venus

well we will have to convince him to stick around longer.

maybe we will have to give him some competition by learning the sabian symbols :p

shouldn't be too hard - my part of destiny conjunct part of astrology (no wonder!)

(yes definitely, from what i've noticed so far, when combining the sabian symbols and arabic lots, the chart is extremely fine tuned.)

thanks for the tips, i'll check out those threads you mention, they sound interesting regardless.

just quick if anyone feels like answering - does the part of catastrophe always bring about a disasterous situation?

i have mine conjunct my neptune so it's kind of worrying me, it sounds like the symbol mixed with the part and neptune is saying something harmful to send a message, is catastrophe fated for a bad experience or can it be a positive thing? (more specifically - at 7 cappy- with the symbol: a veiled prophet speaks, seized by the power of a God... )

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

oh ptv i just read in your other post that you are having medical issues.. hope you feel okay. i was shocked that you saw something happening the date of april 15th o_O

i don't expect anyone to respond to this.. i'm just posting this for my own benefit so i can look up all the sabian symbolism when i get home. (hence why i'm editting my last post instead of making a new one..)

Vocation, Status: MC + MO - SU : Aries 0.06

Fath, Trust : AC + ME - MO: Aries 1.31 (conjunct NN, different 1 degree)

Revelation, Inscenserity: AC + MO - NEP: Aries 7.07 (conjunct 6h cusp same degree)

Debate, Negotiation, Arggoance: ASC + MAR - JUP: Aries 7.15 (conjunct 6th house same degree)

Love & Marriage, Mothers Family: AC + JU - VE: Aries 25.58 (conjunct jupiter, same degree)

Spiritual Inheritance: ASC + MO - SAT: Aries 25.47 (conjunct jupiter, same degree)

Nobility & Honor: Asc + VEN - JUP: Taurus 2.30 (conjunct desc, difference 1 degree)

Increase & Benefits: Asc + JUP - SUN: Taurus 9.08 (opposite pluto, same degree)

Sudden Advancement: Asc + POF - SAT: taurus 9.17 (ooposite pluto, same degree)

Higher Self-Knowledge: AsC + 9 H - Uranus: Taurus 9.39 (opposite pluto, same degree)

Positive & Helpful Change: ASC + PLU - JUP: Taurus 14.32

Spiritual Service: ASC + MO - MER: Gemini 0.47 (conjunct 8 h cusp, 1 degree dif)

Mother/ Female intellegence: ASC + MO - VE : Gemini 11.41 (conjunct moon, same degree)

Necessity: ASC + POF - MER: Gemini 14.17

Part of Eros: ASC + VEN - POS: Gemini 24.31 (conjunct POF, same degree)

Happiness, Entertainment: ASC + URA - JUP : Gemini 28.54 (conjunct chiron, same degree)

Courage: ASC + POF - Mars: Cancer 24.26

LILLITH CONJ MC @ 6.07 Leo

Individuality: ASC + SU - UR : Leo 25.25

Contentment of the Soul: ASC + VEN - SAT: Virgo 15.15

Peril: ASC + RUL 8 - SAT: Virgo 15.15

Dependence, Sons: ASC + JUP - MO: Virgo 15.26

Speculation: ASC + 5 H - JUP: Virgo 15.54

Radical Change: ASC + PLU - URA: Virgo 16.47

Intelligence/Skill: ASC + MAR - MER : Virgo 21.10

Treasure: ASC + VEN - MER: Libra 0.15 (conjunct mars, 1 degree dif.)

Fulfillment, Obligations: ASC + MAR - VEN: Libra 2.04 (conjunct SN same degree)

Liberty: ASC + SU - MER: Libra 7.05 (conjunct 12th cusp same degree)

Harmony, Boredom: ASC + SUN - VEN: Libra 14.79 (conjunct sun same degree)

Influence: ASC + VEN - PLU: Libra 22.51

Libido, Energy, Stimulation: ASC + PLU - VEN: Scorpio 9.22 (conjunct pluto same degree)

Art: ASC + VEN - MER: Scorpio 12.03 (conjunct mercury, 1 degree dif.)

Guidance, Inspiration: ASC + NEP - URA: Scorpio 13.09

Love, Appreciation, Peace: ASC + VEN - SUN: Scorpio 14.19

Naivete, Innocence, Lawsuits: Sag 11.08

Destiny: MC + SU - MO: Sag 12.42

Astrology, Signs & Omens: ASC + URA - MER: Sag 12.49

Luck, Sons: ASC + MO - JUP: 16.52 (conjunct saturn same degree)

Victory: ASC + JUP - POS: Sag 19.20

Wastefulness: ASC + URA - VEN: Sag 23.43 (conjunct uranus same degree)

Part of Hyleg: ASC + MOON - Prior Full Moon: Sag 29.29

Fate, karma : ASC + SAT - SUN: Cap 0.13 (conjunct 3rd cusp difference 1 degree)

False Love, Corruptness: ASC + NEP - VEN: Cap 5.43 (conjunct Neptune same degree)

Catastrophe: ASC + URA - SUN: Cap 6.53 (conjunct nep 1 degree dif.)

Sudden Luck: ASC + JUP - URA: Pisces 3.24

Soul, Spirit: ASC + SUN - MO: Pisces 7.27

Influence & Magnatism: ASC + PLU - MO: Pisc 28.49

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

Another post talking of myself... but i have mercury conjunct pluto in the first house, i learn through self reflection and inward analysis. This place has been mostly a place of learning for me. I came here a while back when i first started learning about horary... and that quintessential thirst for knowledge has brought me back here again, not really looking for anything in particular, but i stumbled upon something very profound with the sabian symbols. So now i think i can go on to better be able to help others.

I think i am beginning to understand how to integrate multiple symbols into a breathing depiction of my path. Reading multiple posts of piercethevale's over the past few days has helped a lot, so THANK YOU to him!

Example: my part of destiny is conjunct my part of astrology, at 13 sag. My part of innocence is a degree before that at 12 sag.

Part of Innocence:
A FLAG TURNS INTO AN EAGLE; THE EAGLE INTO A CHANTICLEER SALUTING THE DAWN.
The spiritualization and promotion of great symbols of a New Age by minds sensitive to its precursory manifestations.

I was a little lost as to what this meant as far as what i am innocent of as this seemed to be something that I understood rather well. I have a good friend in another forum that has his ascendant at this degree. I was thinking about some of the qualities that he posessed that I didn't and one of the things that I thought about was his ability to easily manifest a certain richness of activity in his life path, that is likely the product of spiritual confidence. It's funny because I myself have often considered this friend to be "innocent" or "unequivocally positive" about life. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that the parts can go both ways (as above, so below.) Part of innocence shows not only where we ourselves are innocent but where we PERCEIVE or PROJECT innocence onto others. (likewise, part of trickery shows not only where we trick others but also where we can become tricked.)

Anyways, I went on to look at the next symbol, for my part of destiny, and I had a bit of an "aha!" moment about how these two symbols integrate together.

Destiny/ Astrology:
A WIDOW'S PAST BROUGHT TO LIGHT.

KEYNOTE: The karma of past actions as it affects opportunities presented by a new cycle.

It made this specific comment:
It is possible to joyously herald the dawn from high above the actual stresses of existence (the preceding symbol), but the new day may be found loaded and darkened by the unfinished business of many a yesterday.

So here I am, a person that is indebted into a society that has molded this sense of "false reality" around everything, and I am attempting to shed those notions and look towards a more spiritual way of being. I am here in this lifetime to "sound the call" towards participation of a new age, which is the symbol surrounding my part of soul/spirit. So i am taking up a new layer of experience, BUT i am still releasing the past, and thus I have acquired some innocence about what it takes to bring that spiritual existense into MANIFESTATION. (the eagle being the first one to see the DAWN)

This is confounded even more by the symbology surrounding my sun.

My sun is conjunct the part of BOREDOM. it's at 18 libra and the symbol is:

TWO MEN PLACED UNDER ARREST.
KEYNOTE:A breakdown in the constructive relationship between the individual and society, and the expectable result.

So again, it is showing a sense of being STUCK (boredom) in a society that is (excuse my french) completely a$$-backwards and not spiritually oriented.. (it doesn't surprise me that my part of individuality is conjunct the usa's part of trickery @ 26 leo.. i've so badly wanted to seperate and bring to light the ways in which american's are being tricked into this "false reality" of material excess while people are being killed, starved, etc for the personal gain of a few.. ) It calls for a need to take steps to make internal changes in order to bring about changes on a more societal scale.... it all goes back to my axis and what i am to learn of myself and become in this lifetime... i could go on and on about how all the other parts tie in, but i'll stop, I just wanted to show that it's starting to become more clear now, and it's very accurate at depicting my life journey, and i am SO excited i stumbled across this and will be able to utilize this technique in future readings for others.

Last edited:

piercethevale

A quick look over what you've posted and...

...my yes...

notables include....

Guidance, Inspiration: ASC + NEP - URA: Scorpio 13.09
~ the USA natal [zero hour chart] Part of [Spiritual] Service is @ 13* :scorpio: 48' 34"... and Part of Positive & Helpful Changes is @ 13* :scorpio: 17' 11"

Intelligence/Skill: ASC + MAR - MER : Virgo 21.10
~the 22nd deg. of Virgo is one very profound degree of the Zodiac as to it's Sabian Symbol. If you get a chance to read my [for want of another/better word] thesis on the application of musical tonality to the Zodiac I have in a couple of threads [The Seven & the Five: http://actastrology.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=177 ]
You'll find that 21.4285713* Virgo is F#, the first seventh or fifth from the beginning note, 'B", that occurs just inside Aquarius at something like 00* 00' 00.ooooooooooooooo......ooooooo1 .
If you look at the Sabian Symbol you'll find that it is all about qualification on the True Path of Spiritual Discipleship. ["All true Spiritual Paths begin in Virgo" Dane Rudhyar]

"The ten point star [or matrix] is known as the Path of Discipleship" Dorothy Leon. For some strange reason it apparently needs a 14 point matrix template to be configured upon...that or there are two 10 point matrices. One would be the double pentagram aka a Grand Semi-Quintile. The Symbol of the two guys under arrest is the last step in a clockwise direction...the first in a counter -clockwise direction through the ten notes, the 10 points on the matrix of tonality in the Zodiac. My yogi friend, Suryakant, commented that the symbol is appropriate as one does alienate themselves from society in such a manner as they can be likened to being 'put away" from the rest of society... [We still haven't decided if it is indeed a symbolic representation of the Path of true discipleship. It's definitely something of major importance, I'm willing to wager.. Kind of trippy to think that a true spiritual path has something to do with musical tonality too...Harmony of the most implicit and all encompassing kind...I guess.]

Your M.C. and Lilith is conj. the North Node of the USA natal [and my South Node] quite the appropriate symbol for an Astrologer and it being the "HOW" of a chart interpreted for one that wishes to serve spiritually.

A Part of Libido in Scorpio...I must say...:wink::whistling:

Victory: ASC + JUP - POS: Sag 19.20
~ the USA natal Part of Hidden Identity aka Part of Oration is @ 19* :sagittarius: 27' 00" ...:cool:

I'd say you have some destiny in being a guide, teacher, role model, spokes person, societal pundit, life coach... something along a line like one of those...
I'll bet Astrology will be one of your main tools of instruction as well...

...seeing as how your own analysis is coming along...I have to say...

YOU HAVE MAD SKILLS AT THIS....:biggrin::biggrin:

...the Stars are your oyster...

Last edited: