How to figure out transits/aspects??

noideaaboutastro

If a planet transitting is aspecting your natal planet, how do you know it is aspecting? Is it 10 degrees, one degrees, how many? What do the degrees mean?

I have found a site where I can see the transitting planets and the houses, however I don't know how to calculate properly. Also, is there a site that shows you the transitting planets but then shows you what transits you are going through at the same time?

Thank you, any help would be appreciated :).

[Thread moved to Greenhorns. As always, own interpretation was not provided. Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

starlink

Noidea, a transit aspect should be around 5-7 degrees away from the other planet. For the Sun and Moon a bit more is allowed, especially with oppositions. There you can go to max. 10 degrees for the Sun and Moon and 8° for the other planets.

So many degrees away from something else means the distance that planet still has to travel until he is exact in aspect.

Conjunctions: same degree as the aspecting planet
Trine: 120° away from each other to make it exact
Square: 90°
Sextile: 60°
Opposition: 180°
Semi-sextile: 30°
Semi-square: 45°
Inconjunct 150° (the orb for a quincunx, as well as for the minor aspects is up to 2°, no more!)

Hope this explains it a bit. Also visit the Education board. A lot of links to tutoring are provided.

Starlink

noideaaboutastro

Noidea, a transit aspect should be around 5-7 degrees away from the other planet. For the Sun and Moon a bit more is allowed, especially with oppositions. There you can go to max. 10 degrees for the Sun and Moon and 8° for the other planets.

So many degrees away from something else means the distance that planet still has to travel until he is exact in aspect.

Conjunctions: same degree as the aspecting planet
Trine: 120° away from each other to make it exact
Square: 90°
Sextile: 60°
Opposition: 180°
Semi-sextile: 30°
Semi-square: 45°
Inconjunct 150° (the orb for a quincunx, as well as for the minor aspects is up to 2°, no more!)

Hope this explains it a bit. Also visit the Education board. A lot of links to tutoring are provided.

Starlink

Thanks! I knew the aspects, just wasn't sure what the degrees were to make them aspects.

Oh dear everything I say is always transferred to the greenhorns lounge:ninja:. Will just start posting here no matter what my question is cause I'm still lil:lol:!
Not sure how I was supposed to provide my own interpretation of the question how many degrees does it have to be to be an aspect lol!

Last edited:

Ekim86

If you make an account at Astro.com It will show you the aspects your going threw now if you browse around. Also you could make a synastry chart for today's date and your birth date and that will calculate all the aspects your going threw right now. This is a simple method i use to spot everything.

http://www.khaldea.com/kldaephem/2000/jul2009gmt.shtml

Above is an online ephemeris which plots where the planets are for hundreds of years.:w00t:

The orbs starlink gave you earlier sound more like orbs for natal chart planets making to each other. Transits however are slightly different.

1' approaching natal planet, 1' EXACT and 1' departing. Remember that from mercury to pluto, these can go backwards and forwards.

Plus www.astro.com has six month free transit forecaster in 'short report' page on free horoscopes.

Last edited:

starlink

1' approaching natal planet, 1' EXACT and 1' departing. Remember that from mercury to pluto, these can go backwards and forwards.
I use these smaller orbs for Progressions:) because especially with a Pluto aspects you feel the building up of the aspect sometimes a year in advance! Maybe with the faster moving ones, a small orb is better, but I hardly ever look at those because they come and go unless I am looking for something specific.

Interesting for me was that today, after one month of being utterly lazy when it comes to exercising, I finally went to the gym again. I thought, "wonder if Mars has moved out of lazy Taurus" and YEP, it was today at 0°37' Gemini!! Because at the same time trans. Saturn is exactly sextiling my natal Moon, giving me a bit more "emotionally wanting to discipline myself more", I think that in combination with that Mars change, it did the trick!!:). I am really, really self indulging and self destructive(letting my body go, not doing enough for my health) with first of all Neptune and Jupiter both exactly square my Ascendant, and also my progressed Ascendant sextile natal Jupiter. Just cant stay away from the chocolate!! Hope it will be better now.

Last edited:

starlink

Hello Ekim! Nice to see you again. Thanks for reminding me, by letting Noidea know, that I can do that in Astro.com. Totally forget these helpful features sometimes.
Hope you are doing OK!

Cheers, Starlink

noideaaboutastro

Thank you! I'll go and try to figure out what transits I'm going through again. I'm not sure whether this transit has anything to do with me feeling this frustrated, whatever transit I'm going through, but I have plotted the Sun and Moon transits for myself this month and August and am going to check them out too to see if they match up a bit. I think I'm a pretty moody person so maybe that will give me a little bit of a clue.

noideaaboutastro

Also, I have discovered a really good website that shows you your natal chart and then your transits on the outer circle......astrotheme.com. I'm finding it very helpful.

starlink

Noidea, looking at daily transits of the fast planets like Moon and Sun wont give you much info. The Moons transits last a few hours, the Sun just a day so it becomes really knitpicking work:) You wont notice anything unless your heavy planets do make a very acute transit to one of your personal planets or Asc. It is extremely difficult to figure out what the Sun and Moon influence each day and you probably will read into it afterwards. Mercury, Mars and Venus could be looked at on a monthly basis, but not daily either unless they conjunct another planet. These three stay a bit longer in one house or sign and looking at the influence, the energy in that part of your horoscope is more important than looking for occurrences to happen.

Try not to focus on predictions too much. It is not good and it could subconsciously influence your behavior. Much better is to not look at all at these fast movers but notice when something really out of the ordinary happens. Then look at the chart and try to find the reason for it. The Moon usually triggers the event which is highlighted by other aspects. Lets say you have Uranus-Mars square, pretty aggressive and Moon conjuncts one of those, then you could maybe notice that you will feel more aggressive at that moment.

Of course, if you want to experiment that is fine, but I hope you wont take what you see too seriously:) Predicting is the most difficult thing you can imagine and curiosity killed the cat they say.I know how alluring it is to want to know what will happen, but it would probably be better for a beginning astrologer student to get really acquainted with the basics.

I started looking at transits only a couple of years after I started with astrology. I did just chart interpretations. When I felt more secure in that field, I moved to level 2, the transits. A few years later I moved to level 3, the progressions etc. Now, after 30 years I arrived at the fixed stars, the Sabian Symbols and other more complex things. I also never touched horary astrology until 3 years ago. Wanting to learn everything at once is too much, at least it has been for me.:)
Ever since I entered this forum, I never asked for an interpretation of my chart.I was given one by a very kind and curious member but apart from that, no, I just concentrated on learning horary, also never asking about my own problems except once about my health when I had heart problems. Bit strange maybe....

Cheers, Starlink

Far more important is to look at your progressed positions and the transits to those planets. Keep it global, like "in this coming half year the chances are that I......" So when then something in that half year really happens, then most likely the transiting daily Moon has activated part of the progressed chart. Looking at daily happenings is micro managing in astrology, takes loads of time and hardly ever really shows what will happen.