The fixed star Altair

Yanel

I don't yet understand fully the meaning and purpose of fixed stars but for now one in particular is of interest to me. I somehow intuitively sensed that it probably plays an important role in my chart, I just want to know more about it in order to make a better interpretation of it.
So, I'd like to ask - what energy does Altair carry in a chart? And when it is considered important for a person? Would be happy if someone shared their insight and opinion. I've read that it combines the energies of Mars and Jupiter and it gives a person strength and ambition.
P.S. I'll upload my chart with the placement of Altair in it in case there are people here who understand what this fixed star does(I'm sure there are, no offense to anyone xD).

Attachments

• astro.jpg
    astro.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 58

JUPITERASC

I don't yet understand fully the meaning and purpose of fixed stars but for now one in particular is of interest to me. I somehow intuitively sensed that it probably plays an important role in my chart, I just want to know more about it in order to make a better interpretation of it.
So, I'd like to ask - what energy does Altair carry in a chart? And when it is considered important for a person? Would be happy if someone shared their insight and opinion. I've read that it combines the energies of Mars and Jupiter and it gives a person strength and ambition.
P.S. I'll upload my chart with the placement of Altair in it in case there are people here who understand what this fixed star does(I'm sure there are, no offense to anyone xD).
altair.JPG

'......Opinions are divided as to the exact nature of this star. :smile: Ptolemy gives Mars and Jupiter, Wilson, Saturn and Mercury; Simmonite, Uranus; and Alvidas, Uranus and Mercury in sextile to the Sun. It confers a bold, confident, valiant, unyielding, ambitious and liberal nature, great and sudden but ephemeral wealth, and a position of command, makes its natives guilty of bloodshed, and gives danger from reptiles. [Robson*, p.135.]

Associated with immoderate ambition. [Larousse Encyclopedia of astrology].

Tied up with benefic stellar bodies, Altair is credited with bestowing hardiness, courage and generosity, especially if on the Ascendant. If Mercury and Moon are positioned here, this will make people as bold as brass and foolhardy in order to assert themselves. Near the upper Meridian (MC) and in good aspect, Altair promises rise in life and honors. The native tries with sincere conviction to reach out for his aims with utmost will-power. He will avoid nothing in order to achieve them. Altair is good for advancement of lawyers and military men. [Fixed Stars and Their Interpretation, Elsbeth Ebertin, 1928, p.67.].......'

THE FIXED STARS IN NATAL ASTROLOGY
http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/natalrobson.htm

'....With Sun:
Public honor, notoriety, favors from superiors, many friends and some envious ones who cause trouble through writings, some ill-health and losses, danger of bites from venomous animals. [Robson*, p.135.]

With Moon:
Interest in a strange or ancient discovery, disappointment and loss over property and gain, some profit and preferment, friends become enemies, trouble through companies or public affairs, difficulties through or misfortune to children. [Robson*, p.135.]

With Mercury:
Many difficulties, misfortunes, and strange experiences. Disappointment on long journeys, bad for partnership, loss of a relative under strange circumstances. [Robson*, p.135.]

With Venus:
Unfavorable for love affairs. Strange and peculiar attractions, bad for children and gain, losses through friends. [Robson*, p.135.]......'

'......With Mars:
Sharp mind, trouble through friends, society and companies but eventual gain. [Robson*, p.135.]

With Jupiter:
Real or pretended religious zeal, hypocrisy, trouble through legal and church matters, and with relatives, disappointment over inheritance. [Robson*, p.135.]

With Saturn:
Sorrow and disappointment, mental disturbance necessitating asylum or hospital treatment and probably death there, separation from family or parents, danger of accident involving inability to work or lifelong affliction. [Robson*, p.136.]....'

Yanel

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. It gives a basic understanding of the nature of the star, though I wish there is more on internet about the aspects it makes to personal planets. In my chart it is conjunct my most dominant planet Uranus in 10t house(I checked this in astro.com with Pullen astrology method if I remember well) and the MC. I can guess what this means, I most probably feel it very strongly but I can't find a source with more light shed on the topic. And I'm not able to get a book right now, even the biggest library in my town most certainly doesn't have any astrological material.
It also makes a sextile to Pluto and Saturn. Can this mean that I can control and actually apply my ambition? Because I'm sure I can and was wondering if Altair is the reason for so many things in my life and personality.

JUPITERASC

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. It gives a basic understanding of the nature of the star, though I wish there is more on internet about the aspects it makes to personal planets. In my chart it is conjunct my most dominant planet Uranus in 10t house(I checked this in astro.com with Pullen astrology method if I remember well) and the MC. I can guess what this means, I most probably feel it very strongly but I can't find a source with more light shed on the topic. And I'm not able to get a book right now, even the biggest library in my town most certainly doesn't have any astrological material.
It also makes a sextile to Pluto and Saturn. Can this mean that I can control and actually apply my ambition? Because I'm sure I can and was wondering if Altair is the reason for so many things in my life and personality
THE FIXED STARS IN NATAL ASTROLOGY http://constellationsofwords.com/categories/natalrobson.htm

'…...No difficulty should be experienced in using the fixed stars in natal astrology, but for the benefit of the beginner the following rules may be laid down

I. Note on the map or make a list of the fixed stars that fall in conjunction
and parallel with
or in opposition to
the planets
together with their magnitudes and natures :smile:

The following orbs may be allowed for conjunction and opposition

For a 1st magnitude star, 7degrees 30minutes

for a 2nd magnitude, 5degrees 30minutes

for a 3rd magnitude, 3degrees and 40minutes

and for a 4th magniude star, 1degree and 30minutes.....'

'…...[I totally disagree with these orbs, most people give about 1degree to 1 for fixed stars of 1st magnitude.

I would give Sirius a maximum of 2 degrees.

Sirius is by far the brightest star.

I give a 1st magnitude star about 1degree 15 minutes, gradually decreasing to 15 minutes for a 6th magnitude star. - Anne Wright].....'

'…....2. Look up the constellation containing the star, its nature as tabulated above, and the combined influence of star and planet.

3. Modify these characteristics by the sign, decanate and house occupied, together with the aspects to the planet and the houses it rules just as would be done in the case of an ordinary planetary conjunction.

4. The magnitude of the star and its angular, succeedent or cadent position will give some idea of the strength likely to be exhibited.....'

Yanel

So, Altair gives to my individualism and capacity for sudden change(Uranus) even more power and grandeur. Considering that both celestial bodies are cojunct the MC(in Capricorn), the high ambition is directed through the 'high roads' and actually can take place in the realisation of this inner conviction. The conjunction expresses itself in the 10th house of career and realisation. If I have to include the other planets that are cojunct my MC(Moon and Neptune - emotions and dreams) it all makes sense.
Am I right about all these things?
And the sextile to Pluto and to Saturn...Hmm...destruction, creation, patience, perseverance?
I'm going places, not college but places xD.
Thanks for the info!
P.S. This is my first written interpretation for something :lol:

Last edited: