Broken Glass

StarNur

Not sure if there is any significance to this...but I think this is more than a coincidence.

Is there any meaning behind breaking glass?

A friend of mine dropped his glass and it shattered only a few minutes before I did the same thing also completely by accident.

Mere coincidence?:confused:

Maybe this is just silly superstition, but this has been on my mind and I thought it was worth a shot asking.

freedomlover

Starnur,

I'm not aware of what the superstition is behind breaking glass. Breaking a mirror, I know, but breaking glass? The only associations I'm aware of are both Jewish in origin. The Jewish people traditionally break a glass for good luck at their weddings. Also, the "Night of Broken Glass" was one of the horror stories of the Holocaust. If you're Jewish, I would look to either of these for symbolism. If you're not Jewish, I have no idea. :p

However, I will share that I have noticed that I drop and break things, get cut, am more clumsy and accident-prone when there are hard astrological aspects becoming exact. They may be brief, but if they are exact, it can cause these kind of things. I wish I could tell you what they were. I looked them up at the time things happened, but neglected to make notes of it. It seems that they involved Mars, though, and maybe Uranus and/or Pluto.

One more thought on superstitious old wives tales - i.e. broken mirror. It's really a curse that you buy into accepting - if you believe it. You can just as easily call it a crock and walk away. :cool:

freedomlover

starlink

Hi Starnur, I am not Jewish, but in Holland, where I come from, we always say : Broken glass brings luck! Every time I break a glass, does not matter how expensive, it makes me happy. The more expensive the glass, the more luck I expect, ha ha!

freedomlover

Starlink,
Every time I break a glass, does not matter how expensive, it makes me happy. The more expensive the glass, the more luck I expect, ha ha!
You would have been deliriously happy if you were standing in my shoes last Summer. I went to get a glass off of the middle shelf of the cabinet. Just then the supports to the shelf gave away and nearly all of the glasses started falling out and crashing around me. I was standing in a rain of glasses! :eek:
Luckily (!) I wasn't hurt. I wasn't too happy about it, but I guess my luck was that I wasn't embedded with flying shards of glass.

Just thought I'd share - your statement reminded me of that experience.:rolleyes:

starlink

Well, that might have been a bit too much of a good thing coming to you! You most certainly can be lucky not to have ended up with glasssplinters in your body.